gottaplan

The Trump Presidency

Trump poll numbers rising--

Trump vaults to 49 per cent approval rating among likely voters as post-State of the Union glow gives him best numbers since LAST JUNE

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5345079/Trump-vaults-49-cent-approval-rating-voters.html

VAULTS to 49%?

That's kind of sad, though. It's considered news, and good news at that, that almost half of America currently approves of the job the president is doing. It's probably due to those companies who recently gave out (one-time) bonuses. I bet Bush's approval rating went up when that stimulus package came out. Everyone approves of the president when they become a beneficiary or think they're a beneficiary.

Or, if the poll is that recent, maybe he went a couple days without sounding like a jack-@ss, so people are assuming he's taking his job seriously this week.

Businesses and individuals are still going to hoard too much cash, no matter how good or bad the economy is or what the tax brackets entail. I'm a firm believer that the absolute best thing for our economy in the long-term is investing in new technology and investing in workers with training programs in emerging industries. Robotics, AI and machine learning, drones, alternative energy - that's the future. Manipulating the tax code alone, isn't what gives us a competitive advantage over China and Russia. China is already beating us in those emerging industries and Republicans have the audacity to b!tch and complain about our trade deficit with them.  I don't know why it's so hard to convince old Republicans of this. Unfortunately, we have a president who is worried about the coal industry and probably doesn't even know what AI is short for.

well, for what it's worth, Obama was polling at about the same level one year into office. Polls go up and down. With the mainstream media maintaining a steady drumbeat of anti-Trump invective 24/7 it's a wonder that his numbers are even that high. I guess a lot of people are finally starting to see through that propaganda and think for themselves

TRUMP APPROVAL RATING SAME AS OBAMA AFTER FIRST YEAR, AT LEAST ACCORDING TO ONE POLL

BY GREG PRICE ON 12/28/17 AT 11:18 AM

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-approval-rating-obama-same-761948

Trump vaults to 49 per cent approval rating among likely voters as post-State of the Union glow gives him best numbers since LAST JUNE

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5345079/Trump-vaults-49-cent-approval-rating-voters.html

VAULTS to 49%?

That's kind of sad, though. It's considered news, and good news at that, that almost half of America currently approves of the job the president is doing. It's probably due to those companies who recently gave out (one-time) bonuses. I bet Bush's approval rating went up when that stimulus package came out. Everyone approves of the president when they become a beneficiary or think they're a beneficiary.

Or, if the poll is that recent, maybe he went a couple days without sounding like a jack-@ss, so people are assuming he's taking his job seriously this week.

Businesses and individuals are still going to hoard too much cash, no matter how good or bad the economy is or what the tax brackets entail. I'm a firm believer that the absolute best thing for our economy in the long-term is investing in new technology and investing in workers with training programs in emerging industries. Robotics, AI and machine learning, drones, alternative energy - that's the future. Manipulating the tax code alone, isn't what gives us a competitive advantage over China and Russia. China is already beating us in those emerging industries and Republicans have the audacity to b!tch and complain about our trade deficit with them.  I don't know why it's so hard to convince old Republicans of this. Unfortunately, we have a president who is worried about the coal industry and probably doesn't even know what AI is short for.

well, for what it's worth, Obama was polling at about the same level one year into office. Polls go up and down. With the mainstream media maintaining a steady drumbeat of anti-Trump invective 24/7 it's a wonder that his numbers are even that high. I guess a lot of people are finally starting to see through that propaganda and think for themselves

TRUMP APPROVAL RATING SAME AS OBAMA AFTER FIRST YEAR, AT LEAST ACCORDING TO ONE POLL

VAULTS to 49%?

I see where you're coming from; Trump is nobody's 'ideal' candidate but he's getting the job done, I mean the country is pretty stable right now and we all have a good reason to appreciate that despite Dems being dedicated to trash on Trump no matter what. It's good news that his approval rating is on the upswing. Hell, an upswing in approval rating for ANY president is good news for all of us. Despite political differences, we're still a united country with more in common than how we differ.

It's just that... when it comes to comparing these polls, I like to consider the economic climate at each point in time. First and foremost, we're all just trying to get by, supporting ourselves and our family.

A year into Obama's presidency, I was practically homeless. I was a couch surfer and I couldn't even find a menial job to save my life. Right now, if I applied for a new job, I could straight up tell a company or staffing agency that they're cheap and that I was offered this by whatever company or that I currently make that amount of money and that they need to come back with a better offer.

I never blamed Obama for the crap I went through in 08 or 09 because I educated myself and I have a good grasp on Economics. I don't mean to sound elitist but I feel like I'm one of the few people who realize that the president just doesn't have as much to do with economic outcomes as the average person thinks they do. Too many people think that one leader is responsible for their plight or success.

Obama really did inherit a disaster, much of which was entirely out of his control and IMHO Trump just came into a stable environment with a bunch of solutions in search of a f-cking problem.

Our economy overall has been stable for MANY, MANY years. The current presidency plays on nothing but irrational and unfounded fears because there was never any major problem to begin with.

I thought msm like Newsweek was fake news? Also, Trump supporters still haven't answered Yabo's questions.

yeah, the reason I didn't respond to those questions is that I confess to not being a much of a constitutional scholar (unlike Yabo) and therefore unqualified to make a judgement on whether or not any specific action can be deemed an impeachable offense. It seems like even people who are expert in determining these matters are often stumped. In other words: it's way above my pay grade! Plus, I was never any good at all that hypothetical stuff anyway. In any event, I was honored to be invited in what could have been a fun experiment of "what if's," but I'm sorely lacking in the knowledge required to be an active participant :(. As the saying goes: I ain't had too much o' that fancy book-learnin' ;D, but hopefully I can still participate in the thread in other capacities :)

From @WalshFreedom

I was one of the most Conservative Members of Congress. I've been an outspoken Conservative on the radio for the past 4yrs.

But I tweet that I think this memo release is a partisan & dangerous act by Republicans and today I've lost 1,000 Conservative followers on Twitter.

Crazy

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

I just wanted to point out that before the Trump Presidency, I thought 'memos' were relatively trivial.

Also, Dossier is an extremely awesome word. It might officially be my favorite word. I wish I had more of an excuse to use the word dossier. I love saying it! Such a fancy, official-sounding word for a collection of documents, yet it rolls off the tongue so easily. Does anyone else feel the same way? I have a hard time believing that I'm the only person who loves being able to use the word dossier.

From @WalshFreedom

I was one of the most Conservative Members of Congress. I've been an outspoken Conservative on the radio for the past 4yrs.

But I tweet that I think this memo release is a partisan & dangerous act by Republicans and today I've lost 1,000 Conservative followers on Twitter.

Crazy

It's the kind of "agree with me 100% or else" thinking that Trump voters are known for.  Walsh is a despicable piece of crap and probably agrees with Trump 99% of the time, but some can't handle someone disagreeing with Dear Leader even once.  It's why they keep posting about Rasmussen, by far the biggest polling outlier and with a well-known heavy Republican bias.  It's been higher than all the other polling from the beginning and even it still can't reach half the country being moderately okay with Trump's performance. 

Walsh has surprisingly been drifting towards the center the past couple years, totally against the current. Same with Glenn Beck.

It only seems that way because they're not 100% in line with the President. There is nothing moderate about either of them. Walsh seemed like a man of principle until his "WE'RE COMING FOR YOU BLACK LIVES MATTER THUGS!" tweet.

Also, I can appreciate your answer eastvillagedon[/member] ... my grandpa used to always say, why answer a question you don't know the answer to, people only need your two cents if it's going towards the bill. Lol

Let me get this straight.  Nunes and Trumpies think it's unfair to run an investigation based on politically motivated information but are OK with the Clinton Foundation investigation based on "Clinton Cash" and the Whitewater investigation which was based on opposition research.

Meanwhile, Carter Page is a good boy who doesn't deserve scrutiny except for the fact that he had Kremlin connection as far back as 2013.

per Comrade Nunes: “I don't believe that somebody like Mr. Page should be a target of the FBI.”

http://time.com/5132126/carter-page-russia-2013-letter/

Former Trump campaign adviser Carter Page bragged that he was an adviser to the Kremlin in a letter obtained by TIME that raises new questions about the extent of Page’s contacts with the Russian government over the years.

The letter, dated Aug. 25, 2013, was sent by Page to an academic press during a dispute over edits to an unpublished manuscript he had submitted for publication, according to an editor who worked with Page.

It has been uncovered that Carter Page made the following statement in 2013:

'Over the past half year, I have had the privilege to serve as an informal advisor to the staff of the Kremlin.'

Generally, Americans who work as assets (spies) for other countries get surveilled. Trump should be jumping for joy that our FBI is an agency that works tirelessly and so well.

Now tell me why Page shouldn't have been surveilled...

Trump’s Corruption of the American Republic

The greatest danger from a man so unerring in his detection of human weakness, so attuned to the thrill of cruelty, so aware of the manipulative powers of entertainment, so unrelenting in his disregard for truth, so contemptuous of ethics and culture, so attracted to blood and soil, was always that he would use the immense powers of his office to drag Americans down with him into the vortex.

Trump is succeeding in this. He is having his way, for all the investigative vigor of the free press he derides, for all the honor of the judiciary that has pushed back against his attempts to stain with bigotry the law of the land. Slowly but surely, the president is getting people to shrug.

The appalling becomes excusable, the heinous becomes debatable, the outrageous becomes comical, lies become fibs, spite becomes banal, and hymns to American might become cause for giddy chants of national greatness.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/02/opinion/trump-corruption-republic.html

^^^Roger Cohen (British) and Masha Gessen (Russian)--two unbiased sources--lol

As if you'd take literally any source seriously if it was at all critical of Trump.  Those articles are not for Trump supporters, because they're beyond lost at this point.  They're for everyone else.  Not just Democrats or liberals, but for anyone who believes that America is worth so much more than the disgusting machinations of a madman bent on destroying it.

The great philosopher of liberalism noted where authoritarianism starts: “Beginning with the suppression of reason and truth, we must end with the most brutal and violent destruction of all that is human.

“The more we try to return to the heroic age of tribalism, the more surely do we arrive at the Inquisition, at the Secret Police, and at a romanticized gangsterism.”

—Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies (1945)

Yet that is where we are, spurning truth for the doomed comfort of tribe.

Classic criminal defense tactics folks. If the facts are against you, pound the law. If the law is against you, pound the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.

Well if DOJ and FBI aren't corrupt, then it must be the judges are corrupt.  And if the judges aren't corrupt, then someone else is corrupt.  (Basically, any explanation except one that makes Trump look bad.) https://t.co/27c9v6ei7X

^ there's more memos to cone.  Nunes is working on 5 more.  You know your mehmo is a dud when you are talking about other memos instead of the bombshell you were supposed to drop.

Here's a couple thoughts I'd like to share as a lawyer:

1. The FBI really shouldn't have opposed the memo's release. The information contained within the memo does very little to damage the FBI's credibility. The fact that they stated they were worried about classified info getting out now appears a little disingenuous.

2. Having said that, The GOP needs to stop with their attacks on the intelligence agencies. Within 6 months, Conservative opinions of our national law enforcement agencies has slid nearly 45%, with most Conservatives looking unfavorably against the FBI.

I have been in trials against FBI agents, some of them are jerks. However, you will be hard-pressed to find a more dedicated group of people that are laser-focused on keeping Americans safe. They were not mobilized for political reasons. Carter Paige had given 6+ Anti-American speeches at Kremlin functions, all of which was public information - that, on its own, would've created a reasonably basis for a FISA warrant once he became involved in a POTUS campaign.

3. The information that forms the basis of a FISA warrant has to be verified beyond a reasonable doubt. Meaning, circumstantial evidence is insufficient. Therefore, the portions of the Steele Dossier, if any, that were relied upon for the warrant were, in fact, verified before the warrant was issued.

I understand if you take issue with the fact that the Dossier started as opposition research, as that's a reasonable issue. Nonetheless, if the Dossier became available through a criminal investigation, then it is admissible as the basis for the FISA warrant. If it was simply gifted to the FBI by someone (let's say Soros since he seems to get blamed for everything), then there may be an admissibility issue at trial, and a motion to suppress will likely succeed.

^ I believe the FBI was unaware of what information was in the memo. But there is some stuff that is given away in the memo.  I read somewhere that the fact the memo was originally market 'top secret" rather than "secret" or 'classified" hints that the underlying material came from signals intelligence.  Also, the release of the memo, now makes the undelying FISA info "FOIA-able."

But yeah, I thought Schiff protested too much considering this thing was a dud.  Maybe Schiff wanted them to actually release it and by protesting it goaded Trump into releasing it.

^ I believe the FBI was unaware of what information was in the memo. But there is some stuff that is given away in the memo.  I read somewhere that the fact the memo was originally market 'top secret" rather than "secret" or 'classified" hints that the underlying material came from signals intelligence.  Also, the release of the memo, now makes the undelying FISA info "FOIA-able."

But yeah, I thought Schiff protested too much considering this thing was a dud.  Maybe Schiff wanted them to actually release it and by protesting it goaded Trump into releasing it.

Lol - Don't pull the liberal version of "Trump was playing 38438648374 dimensional chess" with looking into Schiff's motives.

Adam Schiff is, in my opinion, often too partisan. Nonetheless, he is a very gifted legislator who has outclassed Nunes in every aspect of this process.

^ I just wonder why Schiff was so worried about the memo.  There is nothing there.  It was actually worse for the GOP to release it.  I think he was maybe relying on his prosecutor instinct more than some multi dimensional Chutes and Ladders.

^ I just wonder why Schiff was so worried about the memo.  There is nothing there.  It was actually worse for the GOP to release it.  I think he was maybe relying on his prosecutor instinct more than some multi dimensional Chutes and Ladders.

I think it's fair to be worried. Look at what the American people have been willing to believe the last 24 months...

But I think if they had not released the memo, they could've continue to play it up as "bigger than Watergate."  When even partisan hacks like Trey Gowdy, are downplaying it, you know there is nothing there.

I wonder what would have happened if the Democrats and FBI just ignored the memo, would anyone have even paid attention to it? What if they said "Ok fine release the memo whatever I'm busy." It ended up getting such a high amount of publicity due to the controversy.

This is on general how Democrats (and also Trump's GOP primary opponents) play right into Trump's hand, all the time, actually. They'd be better off ignoring him most of the time.

But I think if they had not released the memo, they could've continue to play it up as "bigger than Watergate."  When even partisan hacks like Trey Gowdy, are downplaying it, you know there is nothing there.

Save his Benghazi theatrics, I respect Trey Gowdy

http://thehill.com/opinion/international/372276-lost-in-memo-frenzy-white-house-passed-on-punishing-russia-for-2016

Lost in the shuffle of the Washington shouting matches over the Russia investigations last week was the fact that the Trump administration missed a great opportunity to impose further sanctions on Moscow.

In 2017, Congress passed the Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act by an overwhelming majority and President Trump signed the bill into law. It mandated the administration to provide a list by Jan. 31 of Russian persons and/or entities to be sanctioned for their closeness to the Russian regime as punishment for the aggression in Ukraine and Russia’s incontrovertible intervention in our 2016 elections.

The Treasury Department did not actually draft a list of persons and entities close to President Putin whose sanctioning would present to Russia an unmistakable sign of our serious intent. Instead the Treasury Department, possibly at the last moment, merely repeated a list of Russian oligarchs taken from Forbes.ru and thus displayed its “compliance” with the legislation.

Oh, cool.

Very Stable Genius

http://theweek.com/speedreads/753262/devin-nunes-just-told-fox--friends-that-trump-never-met-george-papadopoulos-heres-picture-together

House Intel Chair says there’s no evidence Papadoupolos ever met with Trump.

Here’s an official Trump campaign photo of Papadoupolos meeting with Trump.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/960524111146561536

Nunes...bro...there's PHOTO EVIDENCE.  Stop making **** up.

Very Stable Genius

http://theweek.com/speedreads/753262/devin-nunes-just-told-fox--friends-that-trump-never-met-george-papadopoulos-heres-picture-together

House Intel Chair says there’s no evidence Papadoupolos ever met with Trump.

Here’s an official Trump campaign photo of Papadoupolos meeting with Trump.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/960524111146561536

Nunes...bro...there's PHOTO EVIDENCE.  Stop making **** up.

It's amazing how careless/stupid people like Nunes are.