gottaplan

The Trump Presidency

I read that a study has concluded that for each job we save from going elsewhere, we pay on average $450,000. Would it maybe be better to give each laid off worker a check in that amount? 

No, because then we're picking winners and losers. Globalization and technological innovation is part of a runaway train that cannot be stopped. How is it to be decided with American workers that lose their jobs to these forces get six figure checks and which ones do not?

Regardless, I'm not sure that there is a net economic benefit to ever pursuing this type policy, even if it saves a few hundred jobs. The idea here was to ensure a PR win for Trump, but taxpayers and consumers will get the short end of the stick if this becomes the norm.

Cities that become sanctuaries against an oppressive Trump regime will be punished by Trump? WTF happened to my America??

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/02/nyregion/fearing-loss-of-us-money-under-trump-new-york-begins-urgent-review.html?smprod=nytcore-ipad&smid=nytcore-ipad-share

If the cities are denied federal funds, then the cities need to block the collecting of federal taxes from their residents and businesses. I had long envisioned a urban-rural political divide worsening in the coming years. This appears to be the political weaponization of it.

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Engineers and business types I worked with were tight-headed Republicans who kept starting political discussions. Even my white-guy boss started talking about elections and expected me to chime in with Obama hatred.

I hated that place.

deal to save 800 white collar jobs if some company threatened to move those jobs overseas? Even though those while collar jobs probably pay 50% more, so "saving" those jobs would make more economic sense, they are held by granola-eating liberals

Cities that become sanctuaries against an oppressive Trump regime will be punished by Trump? WTF happened to my America??

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/02/nyregion/fearing-loss-of-us-money-under-trump-new-york-begins-urgent-review.html?smprod=nytcore-ipad&smid=nytcore-ipad-share

If the cities are denied federal funds, then the cities need to block the collecting of federal taxes from their residents and businesses. I had long envisioned a urban-rural political divide worsening in the coming years. This appears to be the political weaponization of it.

The crazy thing here is that these metropolitan areas are generally net donors of Federal tax revenue. So in essence, they send a lot of money to the government and have to beg for some of it back, often with policy strings attached that run counter to local public preference. It happens at the state level, too. Since Trump and many righties seem like such big supporters of local sovereignty (i.e. Tawain, Brexit, etc.), perhaps the same type of freedom should be extended on the homefront. Maybe large American metropolitan areas should be allowed to have city-state status and be able to more independently determine their own fates?

People who voted for "Trump June 2015-Nov. 8th. 2016" then got "Trump 1983-May 2015/Nov. 9th 2016-on) should have spent more time paying attention to "Trump 1983-May 2015" to see what they were really getting.

TheSearchForTruth: #Trump tells Cincinnati rally that violent crime is at a 45-year high. It's actually at a 51-year low, according to latest FBI data.

CyomjOdWEAAL3vS.jpg

Trump is freakin' unbelievable. Duterte is indiscriminately allowing the killing of thousands without due process, including 5 year olds...

Philippines' deadly drug war praised by Donald Trump, says Rodrigo Duterte

Philippines leader says US president-elect felt drug war which has killed thousands was being fought ‘the right way’

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/03/philippines-rodrigo-duterte-donald-trump-white-house-invite

Meanwhile Brietbart has criticized the Obama administration for not supporting Duterte. I'm ashamed to be an American.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/01/politics/james-mattis-trump-secretary-of-defense/

Okay, when his defense secretary designate is enthusiastically pro-Ukraine (vs. Russia) and emphasizes close ties with moderate Islamic nations, it becomes clear that most of Candidate Trump's foreign policy was either un-thought out or complete bovine excrement.  (Or both).

We'll see who SecState is. 

I think what we're seeing here is that Trump does not want to surround himself with "yes men," as many critics implied he would do during the election. He seems to want the best person for the job. Mad Dog Mattis is exactly that, IMO.

So you think that was a good point to air over Twitter..... 

He called Taiwan; they did not call him.  I wonder if his potential development in Taiwan has anything to do with his call.

Wrong. Tsai called Trump, and the very vague rumors of a potential hotel were outright denied by Trump Hotels. There's no evidence of any plans, aside from one person claiming a "Ms. Chen" inquired about something Trump related. It sounds completely fabricated in the absence of any corroborating evidence. It's pretty clear the intent of taking the call and publicly making a point of doing so was to set the tone with China. That should be enough to rustle your jimmies, there's no need to look for made up ulterior motives. Though the whole left wing support of China in general requires a bit of cognitive dissonance given the plethora of human rights issues like Tibet, North Korea, etc.

No business owner in their right mind would listen to goofy city officials telling them to not collect federal taxes. The president has every right to deny federal funding if local jurisdictions refuse to enforce the laws as written, and there are plentiful precedents - everything from the Drinking Age Act to the Civil Rights movement provide examples. In fact, the former might actually be a good model to follow - all federal funding across the board could be slashed by a certain percentage to cities that refuse to enforce immigration laws. Cities could be given transition time, as a gesture of good will, before the percentage gradually increased to 100%.

Try to understand this Ram.  It is not the job of a president elect to set the tone with anybody.  Trump screwed up.    If he us considering changing US policy in reference to Asia, then he needs to announce this plan.  He screwed up.  Everyone knows he screwed up.  Obama has to clean up his mess.  Stop admiring the emperor's new clothes.

^ Taking phone calls like that one is exactly what the job of a president elect is. I'm sure there were all sorts of advisors and suits telling him he couldn't take the call. It wasn't a "screw up" at all. If Trump wants to change America's tone he doesn't need to announce anything to you in advance, he can just do it with a Tweet, like he did here.

You need to get used to him doing this type of thing for he next 8 years. It's part of the reason many people, like myself, voted him into office.

Wrong. Tsai called Trump, and the very vague rumors of a potential hotel were outright denied by Trump Hotels. There's no evidence of any plans,

Read more: http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,30962.665.html#ixzz4Rod5ZYiR

If you are going to claim that Trump didn't make the call, please back it up with some documentation. Thank you

edit: on second thought, Trump was fool to have that conversation no matter who initiated it. This idiot is going to cause a war with somebody if he doesn't keel over from the stress in the next eight months.

r/jokes strikes again...!

A man is helping his daughter with a history paper, when suddenly she asks: "Hey dad, can you tell me about 2016?"

Father: "Oh honey, are you sure you want to write about that?"

Daughter: "Yes! Nobody seems to want to write about it for some reason."

Father: "Well, if you insist..."

The father moves into the kitchen with his daughter in toe, opens the liqueur cabinets, and chugs vodka for 5 seconds straight.

He then sits down with his daughter and begins, tears streaming down his face:

"Alright so it started with this f**king Gorilla down in Cincinnati..."

This whole issue is partisan nonsense: I don't remember you guys flipping out when Obama actually met with the Daili Lama in June; I don't remember anyone on these boards complaining when the US sent a destroyer by the artificial islands near Beijing. Both times China whined - and that was the end of that.

Trump can take a phone call from whomever he damn well pleases, and frankly he can call anyone he wants (though I concede if the call was related to his hotels, that's a grave concern for other reasons). China doesn't get to dictate US policy, and if this particular incident is so damaging to our alliance with our "ally" that there are real consequences, well, then hostilities were probably inevitable anyway.

Reported but not criticized by people on this forum, and in general. I don't recall CNN criticizing it or frankly anyone caring all that much.

I'm seeing a lot of partisan and shameful reactions to Trump's regaining 800 jobs on urbanohio and most media outlets. Sure he gave subsidies, but those newly regained jobs affects 3000 people or so including families. An entire community that would have been utterly devastated has a second chance, and the lack of empathy for those people is in poor taste. Sanders, Krugman, the Times, and many on the left seem focused on the $7 million (over 7 years) in subsidies and some abstract precedent this sets (as though corporate welfare is a new phenomenon). I'd rather those workers stay employed with subsidies than become another destroyed town thanks to free trade's bastardization. Better a job than the welfare, unemployment, Medicaid, and any number of other subsidies those 800 people and their families would have likely received anyway.

When Carrier announced it was leaving, I saw no compassion for those who would have lost their livelihoods and the community shattered. It was a blip of a story. And now people are in arms because Trump stepped in and actually won this round. It's partisan ignorance at its finest.

And if Obama had done the same thing, a lot of these reactions would have been very different. Probably on both sides.

Actually, when Carrier leaving was announced (youtybe video of union workers being told) I remember reading comments on many blogs making fun of dumb union liberals.  So it swings both ways.  When GM was going under and Obama bailed them out many people (maybe rightly) stated that he was interfering with the market.  Now Trump thinks he is going to jaw bone every single company.  Losing 60% of the workforce while rewarding the company is not a victory.  Trump got played by Carrier.

The Dalai Lama stuff is very different from the Taiwan situation.  Trump has only received 2 of his briefing sand is nowhere near up to speed to be handling diplomatic phone calls.  The call with Taiwan is only the latest in a string of gaffes (Pakistan and Duterte.)  Defend him all you want but the emperor wears no clothes.

Or, they could, you know, follow the law of the country that they're part of.

I'm sure you could name many laws in this country and other developed countries in the past 100 years that were immoral and were soon reversed, amended or no longer enforced. Just because a government says I should do/not do something, doesn’t make it right. Nor should I blindly follow my leaders. When the policies of my national government go in a direction I don't agree with, and when my local/regional policies go in a direction I do agree with, then I'm going to follow the cities. There is nothing written that says the United States in its current form will or should outlast it's cities. Indeed history shows that cities typically outlive their national governments, country names and boundaries.

Wrong. Tsai called Trump, and the very vague rumors of a potential hotel were outright denied by Trump Hotels. There's no evidence of any plans,

Read more: http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,30962.665.html#ixzz4Rod5ZYiR

If you are going to claim that Trump didn't make the call, please back it up with some documentation. Thank you

edit: on second thought, Trump was fool to have that conversation no matter who initiated it. This idiot is going to cause a war with somebody if he doesn't keel over from the stress in the next eight months.

So far as I know, no one has ever stated otherwise. If Trump says Taiwan made the call, and no one in Taiwan is saying otherwise, it seems like a pretty open and shut case.

This wasn't a foolish call at all by Trump. My fiancee is Taiwanese and her family has been rather "meh" about the whole ordeal. The US has been dealing with Taiwan, selling them military equipment, etc. for decades. They are essentially a US ally - the fact that there was an unwritten rule that our leaders couldn't talk to each other is absurd, when you think about it. Anyone who has ever worked in the corporate or bureaucratic world comes across rules like that one all the time. No one can ever really explain why it's a 'rule' other than the fact that "we've always done it this way." Talking on the phone to their president doesn't change any official policy - it just makes it apparent that we aren't going to beat around the bush anymore.

^ I could link any of 10,000+ sources, all of which say the same thing - Trump accepted the call from Tsai. I wasn't even aware anyone was questioning it, given that Taiwan is saying the same thing as Trump, and literally no one aside from you is saying otherwise. Here's a source from Taipei (in English - and owned by George Soros of all people) saying the call was made from Taiwan to Trump:

That Trump singled out the congratulatory call from Tsai Ing-wen among many similar calls from other world leaders and mentioned it on Twitter and Facebook indicated Trump’s and his team’s emphasis on Taiwan, Tsai Ming-yen said.

He said that while China would certainly object to and pressure Washington over the call, the important thing is whether Trump’s team can withstand the pressure. “If the answer is positive, Taiwan-US ties would no longer be subjected to Beijing’s reactions and be solely about Taipei and Washington,” he said.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2016/12/05/2003660611

And the NY Times:

"Mr. Trump expressed no misgivings about taking the call from President Tsai Ing-wen, which was arranged beforehand at the initiative of the Taiwanese government, not Mr. Trump’s camp."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/03/us/politics/donald-trump-taiwan-china.html?_r=0

Here's a pretty straightforward analysis of the issue courtesy Mike Pence:

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2016/12/04/pence-mystifying-obama-a-hero-for-talking-to-dictators-but-its-a-controversy-trump-talks-to-taiwan/

Trump supporters please explain to me why you think he's a tough guy who takes no crap. He's constantly on Twitter whinning about everything. He's mad at Alec Baldwin. He's mad at SNL. He's mad at the media. He's so thin-skinned. He isn't in office yet. The real criticism hasn't started. Also, why is he still on Twitter?

Seriously...he constantly whinning. He's letting Alec Baldwin get under his skin. Think about that. He's about to be the leader of the free world and SNL has him rattled. He can dish it, but he can't take it...

I'm sure you could name many laws in this country and other developed countries in the past 100 years that were immoral and were soon reversed, amended or no longer enforced. Just because a government says I should do/not do something, doesn’t make it right. Nor should I blindly follow my leaders. When the policies of my national government go in a direction I don't agree with, and when my local/regional policies go in a direction I do agree with, then I'm going to follow the cities. There is nothing written that says the United States in its current form will or should outlast it's cities. Indeed history shows that cities typically outlive their national governments, country names and boundaries.

So the real issue with the 12 million people here illegally is that it's illegal for them to be here?

Then we could make the case that illegal aliens are a threat to our national sovereignty over the places they settle.  That would justify a much more assertive approach than the idea that they are taking advantage of benefits to which they are not entitled.

It would be the flip side of the Geneva Convention's ban on settling civilians in conquered lands, that Israel routinely violates.