Sign in to follow this  
Guest KJP

Crazy conspiracy theories

The only thing the police are investigating (rightly so) is how these businesses got caught up by Trump's guttertrash view of alt-reality.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

The only thing the police are investigating (rightly so) is how these businesses got caught up by Trump's guttertrash view of alt-reality.

That's not really a question that needs investigating; Podesta's bizarre emails are what brought attention to these businesses, and it really has nothing to do with Trump at all though I know you like having one villain to blame everything on.

This is spin. Comet is one of many NW DC establishments designed for bored rich white kids and their parents to go to hang out and act "cool". Plenty of places with "weirdos" in DC but none are located along or near Connecticut or Wisconsin Avenues where Comet is.

That's not really a question that needs investigating; Podesta's bizarre emails are what brought attention to these businesses, and it really has nothing to do with Trump at all though I know you like having one villain to blame everything on.

Can you please point me to the bizarre emails in question?  I have yet to have anyone prove it.

I feel like fake news in rampant even in the local rag, The Enquirer. At least to the point, misleading headlines for click bait. Either way, I can see how conservatives eat that ish up. Another example I heard recently that had to have been fake news was that the KKK is infiltrating the police force. I think the actual KKK has something like 10,000 members if that. Anyways, our number one job at schools should be for the kids to "learn how to learn", and I am very fortunate to have had that chance, we need to right the ship on this though, somehow, for people who don't have that chance. Hard to see that happening though

^^ Ironic that the Washington Post is trying to write a story about fake news. They are probably the one mainstream media source that publishes the most fake news.

Some of this calls to mind what may be the most unfortunate moral panic in recent history which it the day care abuse and associated devil worshiping craze that came to the fore in the 1980s. So many lives ruined and so much misinformation.

Sahil KapurVerified account

@sahilkapur

National political reporter for @Bloomberg...

Majorities of Republicans believe Saddam had WMDs (69%), Obama born in Kenya (52%), millions of 2016 votes illegally cast (52%).

All wrong

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

^My uncle is a staunch Republican.  He does not believe we landed on the moon or that there was a Jewish holocaust,  Even worse he has warped the mind of his son and he has similar beliefs.

^ I have a friend who as liberal as they come and he does not believe we landed on the moon, believes in the Roswell cover up (including the part about the UFO being shipped to Wright Patterson, where he still thinks it is), and believes 9/11 was an inside job.

^ I have a friend who as liberal as they come and he does not believe we landed on the moon, believes in the Roswell cover up (including the part about the UFO being shipped to Wright Patterson, where he still thinks it is), and believes 9/11 was an inside job.

I commented on this before and I don't think anyone ever responded or even hit the 'like' button on my post but I hope it's something everyone is willing to acknowledge. I guess no one on here is trying to hear it because this forum leans very left (naturally...I mean this forum promotes progressive urban planning - something we're all on board with, so it just comes with the territory) but back when George W. Bush was president - I remember quite vividly (even though I was in my early teens,) that it was primarily Liberals and Democrats who were the firm believers in all the common and fringe conspiracy theories. I'm talking anything from chem-trails to 9/11 being an inside job. People have short-term memories when it comes to the patterns of politics through time.

Here's the deal. When you've subscribe to an ideology that is in the minority at the present time, you feel shut out. You feel powerless. Even oppressed. It's natural to feel that way. That's how Liberals felt during the W era. When you feel like you and many others like you, don't have a voice and see things happening beyond your control - you're more receptive to the idea that there are even plots against you and those who are on your 'team.' In the early 2000s, it was primarily Liberals writing books, making websites and Youtube videos regarding Skull and Bones, the Illuminati and Freemasonry and so-on. The famous Loose Change video was most certainly made by a Democrat or Liberal.

There was a shift after Obama was elected, when suddenly Republicans and Conservatives felt like a powerless minority and were looking for an explanation as to why they felt shut out. They became curious about this whole thing with the globalist elite. Suddenly they subscribed to the mindset of Alex Jones or in more severe cases, David Ike and whatever else is out there.

I'll be completely honest and I say this as a person whose ideology is fragmented / not centralized at all but is admittedly very liberal - I enjoy going to Infowars.com regularly. I read Huffington, NY Times, Washington Post, Young Turks, etc., too. I don't think it's healthy to limit ones self to one newspaper or website or even to limit ones self to media sources that lean a certain way, even if it aligns with your own thinking. Even if you don't agree with opinions that can be inferred from these news sources and even if you don't agree with how their words are selected / which ones are omitted and even if you don't agree with what types of articles they choose to bring to the reader's attention - I think it's important as an American citizen to try to absorb the full spectrum. If for no other reason, just so that you can understand the concerns of others. Sometimes websites do give straight up fake news but most often it's simply skewed by what content is manifested and what is omitted or what kind of article is posted. It's never fake news when there's a reason why an article exists. Whether it's real or not, the concerns that warranted the fake news are very real.

It's not just an issue with "fake news sites." You have to include all of social media. Look at this thread. I know KJP is a smart guy. He contributes and dedicates a lot of his time to this forum and I enjoy a lot of his posts but I would never use all of his anti-trump, anti-conspiracy theory content as a basis for how I feel on these matters. I highly doubt he would ever post articles providing valid concerns and especially, 'proof,' from someone at the other end of the spectrum because unfortunately, being right about something trumps discovering the truth and making others aware of it. We're all human.

Critical thinking and knowing how to do your own research and sift through everything is such an important skill these days.

The last thing I want to point out is that all of this 'fake news' is in no way limited to Conservative / Republican / Trump-leaning sources. The majority of people on my Facebook are liberal and I get bombarded every day in my news feed, with what they call 'fake news.' This is just one of countless examples.

http://bipartisanreport.com/2016/12/30/senior-editor-at-the-atlantic-publishes-op-ed-damning-trump-for-participating-in-russian-hack/

Scroll down and you'll see this:

"The former George W. Bush speechwriter says that claims that investigating the interference from Russian President Vladimir Putin in favor of Trump would delegitimize Trump’s presidency. This is a point brought up frequently by Trump supporters as more evidence comes to light, and in Frump’s viewpoint, it should be."

What the hell does one actually get out of this article? Not a damn thing. It does let you know about some folks concerns though. It's designed to be click-bait on Facebook to make you think that there's solid proof that Donald Trump conspired with Putin to ensure the presidency. In reality, it's an article about the opinion of George W.'s speechwriter on what could potentially happen or what should happen. This isn't even close to being the best example I could find. There is tons and I mean, TONS of b.s. liberal click-bait about Trump from sh!tty websites like this. If you think about it, since Republicans dominate the presidency and congress, Liberals have every reason to promote 'fake news.' Conservatives, not so much anymore.

I think we're going to see a major shift soon.

The crazies love their fake news/conspiracy theories....

Fake news site started as joke gains more than 1M followers in less than 2 weeks https://t.co/3Tr9ZqXiMJ

There are a ton of liberal fake news websites out there, too. I was thinking of making a site like InfoWars but for liberal extemists.  With Trump in office and the left being disenfranchised, it's the perfect time for such a site to take off.

The crazies love their fake news/conspiracy theories....

Fake news site started as joke gains more than 1M followers in less than 2 weeks https://t.co/3Tr9ZqXiMJ

A 28-year-old Costa Rica resident started a fake news website ...

... McDaniel said he made $615 from advertisements on the website, which he plans to donate to the 2020 Democratic presidential nominee.

Foreign money pouring into the DNC's pockets, what else is new?

That's all she made from a million hits? A million hits on your Youtube channel equates to about $3000 in your pocket. $615 is weak, especially considering most websites like that are expected to have a ton of ads on them.

^^^ A guy making ridiculous fake news stories during the election was making liberal and conservative stories but only conservatives were sharing them.  Interesting anecdote which seems to play put on my Facebook feed too.  During the election so many fake stories were being shared that could be debunked by anyone with google.  All of them from sites like Zero Hedge, Gateway Pundit, sites with the word patriot in them.  Most of these were all shared by my high school friends who never went to college and every problem in their life is because of immigrants and minorities.

I'd probably charge more than that just to program the site. Let alone the cost of deploying and maintaining it and adding all of the b.s. content (although I'm sure she just used some crappy template/hosting service.) Still, fake news must be a "labor of love" for these people.

How Anti-Science Forces Thrive On Facebook

Welcome to the corner of the internet that’s hell-bent on convincing you that GMOs are poisonous, vaccines cause autism, and climate change is a government-sponsored hoax. The message is traveling far and wide.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemlee/inside-the-internets-war-on-science

^ This is nothing new to Facebook. These types of stories used to circulate via email forwards and BBS before that, that's the entire reason Snopes was created in the first place.

In my experience it isn't "Trump supporters" sharing the anti-vax and anti-GMO crap, as the article suggests, it's the exact opposite. It's all my hippie liberal friends who have become parents recently. The people spreading anti-GMO stories are almost exclusively the type of people who buy organic produce.  The global warming stuff is the only one I'd call the right-wing conspiracy. The other two are decidedly left-wing conspiracies. Can anyone really picture a Trump supporter asking a waiter if their menu includes non-GMO produce?

^ hahaha Jenny McCarthy hasn't been mainstream since the 90s.  Donald "infowars" Trump is the cosnpiracy theorist president.  He loves the poorly educated because they believe every dumb thing he says. 

The whole anti-vaxxer and anti-GMO movement does seem to be mostly a liberal thing.  The fact that Trump has latched onto both just shows how incredibly crazy and naive he is.  It doesn't matter how crazy and anti-science it is he'll believe anything.

"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett 

Wow! Good for them!

Christians, Repent (Yes, Repent) of Spreading Conspiracy Theories and Fake News—It's Bearing False Witness

Try this instead: Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/edstetzer/2017/may/christians-repent-conspiracy-theory-fake-news.html