LAW 21

Cincinnati: Downtown: 1010 On The Rhine / Downtown Kroger

They had originally rendered trees going in on that little step-back above the 3rd floor to help screen the garage. Doesn't look like there is sufficient depth to accommodate trees, and I don't see any sign of planter beds. It will be super disappointing if that portion of the project doesn't come to fruition, and I don't think developers should be allowed to lie in their renderings. The garage screening is pretty weak, based on the photos shown here, and if the trees weren't going to happen on the Court St. side, the city could have required some other screening techniques to be implemented.

The zoning drawings show a continuous planter with bamboo in it, which would be much shallower than what's required for trees. Hopefully this is still the plan, because the court street elevation doesn't have any of the pre-cast concrete panels covering the garage portion. 

Edited by ucgrady

5 hours ago, taestell said:

Well 3CDC is apparently pressuring Kroger to open the new store the instant it is ready. So they must be chomping at the bit to get their hands on the old OTR Kroger site.

The real estate climate might be hot enough at the moment to fetch large cash deposits for 50-100 condos between Vine & Walnut.  Those deposits could pay down debt elsewhere on their ledger and/or enable financing for more apartments or commercial.  

4 hours ago, edale said:

I don't think developers should be allowed to lie in their renderings

https://99percentinvisible.org/article/renderings-vs-reality-rise-tree-covered-skyscrapers/

I understand how it can be deceitful, and it is definitely an issue in the field worth addressing. However, renderings are not contracts, just marketing tools. If all renderings had to be executed exactly as is, you would literally never see a rendering because it's impossible to computer engineer an image to look exactly like it will be built in reality. Also, lots of things change over the course of a project like budgetary issues, zoning review board revisions, changes in program, client's opinions, etc.

This is a horrible example, but it's kind of like how your burger at a fast food joint never looks as good as in the commercial...

• Like 1

^ Oh yes, I'm aware that renderings aren't contracts, and that they are basically promotional tools. The plans that are reviewed by the city for conformance with the code are, in essence, contracts, as they are usually reviewed by city staff for compliance with zoning, building, fire, etc. codes. If those plans didn't show tree wells on the third level of the garage and only the initial renderings did, then shame on the city for not ensuring that there was proper screening in place for this garage. I didn't review the plans for this project, and only relied on renderings for envisioning how this will turn out. Of course, there is always a bit of creative license when it comes to renderings, but to totally do away with parking garage screening after showing a garage that is almost totally obscured from view by vegetation seems to exceed artistic license, and veers into the purposefully misleading territory. Of course, all this could be moot if they are still planning on planting bamboo on this level. Bamboo doesn't create as thick a screen as a mature tree would, but it grows tall and grows quickly, and it stays green all year round, which is nice in the gray winters of Cincinnati. Guess we shall see what ends up being there when all is said and done!

• Like 1

I don't typically think of Cincinnati Refined as a news site, but it looks like they may be the first outlet to share the name of this apartment tower:

You Can See Everything From the Upcoming Downtown Kroger '1010 On The Rhine' Apartments

With the first two stories dedicated to the Kroger store and the following seven stories above it committed to parking, that leaves eight additional stories for luxury apartments, which benefit from not only the prime location previously described, but also the fact that living several stories above a grocery store will ensure never having to load groceries into a car again. Entitled 1010 On The Rhine (a reference to the nickname 19th-century German immigrants gave to the canal, which was later replaced with present-day Central Parkway in the 1920s), the apartments are slated to be among the most attractive living spaces downtown when they begin renting later this year.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, taestell said:

I don't typically think of Cincinnati Refined as a news site, but it looks like they may be the first outlet to share the name of this apartment tower:

You Can See Everything From the Upcoming Downtown Kroger '1010 On The Rhine' Apartments

With the first two stories dedicated to the Kroger store and the following seven stories above it committed to parking, that leaves eight additional stories for luxury apartments, which benefit from not only the prime location previously described, but also the fact that living several stories above a grocery store will ensure never having to load groceries into a car again. Entitled 1010 On The Rhine (a reference to the nickname 19th-century German immigrants gave to the canal, which was later replaced with present-day Central Parkway in the 1920s), the apartments are slated to be among the most attractive living spaces downtown when they begin renting later this year.

Those are some incredible views

38 minutes ago, taestell said:

And they have a website: http://1010ontherhine.com

And they have a picture of some other city when talking about "The Neighborhood" you can live in (note the rails in the street dead ending into a crosswalk and the residential towers in the background that don't exist here)

website.png

• Like 1

"...the newest hub for art, culture, food, and experience."

They clearly have not spent any time in front of the Jobs & Family Services building 😆

I am still surprised on how quick this development came about from announcement to construction to near completion. The Kroger store is slated to open by the end of September I believe. Is this how typical development occurs in other cities ? It would be refreshing if other projects in Cincy would occur at this same pace. 

Why is the Kroger waiting until September to open? All the finishes are installed, the power is on, they just need to install the merchandise which typically takes about 6 weeks. It seems like they finished that area quickly along with the parking garage, but have since let it sit idle as they focus on the apartments above. 

It's a really interesting process that happens on the day an old Kroger closes and a new one opens up next to it. You can get cheap frozen food and meats, that's for sure.

31 minutes ago, ucgrady said:

Why is the Kroger waiting until September to open? All the finishes are installed, the power is on, they just need to install the merchandise which typically takes about 6 weeks.

From what multiple sources have told me, Kroger was originally on track to open as early as March, but they have been intentionally dragging their feet and stretching out the construction timeline. The primary reason is that they do not want the store to open while the tower is still under construction, because Corporate believes it is "bad for their brand" to have a new store opening with construction still going on. At the same time, 3CDC has been pushing them to open as soon as possible because they want to get their hands on the OTR Kroger site. This is yet another anecdote that leads me to believe that Kroger (at least the Greater Cincinnati division) still doesn't "get" urban stores.

• Like 2

^ I haven't heard any rumors but my initial instinct was that they simply don't want to have a grand opening in the middle of an active construction site. It makes practical sense to me - this is a flagship urban store next door to their HQ and they want to ensure the site is perfect before they open it up. You don't want to worry about scaffolding over the sidewalk, trucks beeping, stacks of drywall being carried into the building, etc. Plus there's some liability concerns. I've worked on projects that could have been phased (as this one appears it could have been) but owners often prefer to wait until everything is ready to go and there can be a clean flip of the switch between construction and occupancy.

Yeah as a downtown resident I wish they were opening sooner so I could frequent the store but I completely understand them not doing it until the apartments are finished. 

They probably don't want to remind people of what happened at Kenwood when Kroger opened up in the Boodoggle Building way before it was done, then closed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GCrites80s said:

They probably don't want to remind people of what happened at Kenwood when Kroger opened up in the Boodoggle Building way before it was done, then closed.

Or the guy from the "Simply Money" radio show who lost $2.4 million:

https://www.citybeat.com/news/article/13009751/not-so-simple

Plus, it's no coincidence that BoA's Cincinnati office is in the Kenwood Connection, or whatever it's called -- they foreclosed on that damn thing. 

Kroger names 5 restaurants that will occupy new downtown store

By Steve Watkins  – Staff Reporter, Cincinnati Business Courier

Kroger Co. has identified the five restaurants that will be located in its soon-to-be opened downtown store's food hall.

Eli's BBQ, Kroger's own Kitchen 1883 restaurant, Dope Asian Street Food, Django Western Taco and Queen City Whip will be located in the store's food hall, Kroger CEO Rodney McMullen said during the company's annual meeting Thursday.

McMullen called out Eli's, which has locations on a couple of other Kroger stores, as "one of my favorites."

MORE

• Like 1

Damn those are pretty solid choices.  For those that work around the area that will become a pretty popular lunch spot.  

51 minutes ago, Cincy513 said:

Damn those are pretty solid choices.  For those that work around the area that will become a pretty popular lunch spot.  

Wonder if this will effect otr lunch spots...also will Starbucks effect coffee emporium?

35 minutes ago, troeros said:

Wonder if this will effect otr lunch spots...also will Starbucks effect coffee emporium?

I'd say it'll take some lunch time business, but I doubt Coffee Emporium will suffer. It might hurt the Dunkin on Court Street.

Since Lucius Q opened I don't bother going up to Eli's at Findlay anymore, or Pontiac, but Eli's is still my favorite pulled pork so I could see going there.  Since Dope re-re-branded to Huit (or is it Little Huit?) it only lasted a few months and it's been closed since.  Maybe they're open for dinner but I doubt it.  So it will be nice to have them back as I do really like their ramen, but for all I know they're going to change to yet another concept.  I can't speak for the rest.