Cincinnati: Downtown: 1010 On The Rhine / Downtown Kroger

LAW 21

Stick with individual threads for construction photos, please.  We don't care how many you post (okay, we kinda do...don't go overboard...but you aren't crazy, right?).

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

14 hours ago, northsider said:

they're still doing the concrete. They're currently working on the tenth floor. So I'd imagine it's soon!

From the drawings I've seen the structure remains concrete all the way up, no steel other than for the apartment partitions. 

Just now, ucgrady said:

From the drawings I've seen the structure remains concrete all the way up, no steel other than for the apartment partitions. 

oh, thanks! if memory serves, they were doing 18 floors, yeah? so tenth floor is past the hump!

16 hours ago, ColDayMan said:

Stick with individual threads for construction photos, please.  We don't care how many you post (okay, we kinda do...don't go overboard...but you aren't crazy, right?).

No haha I just love seeing new construction in Cincinnati (especially when a crane is involved) I have some friends from out of town who like to keep up to date in construction projects around the city so I thought this would be a good place to post. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ucgrad2015 said:

I was thinking about doing a every other week photo updated major projects around Cincy . Would it be more useful to maybe create a separate section for just construction photos?

you could take over the cincy section on skyscraperforum.com 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Low quality, but though I’d throw a picture up here from yesterday. That’s the 10th floor they are starting on at the top so this will have another 9 stories above that partial floor. 

It always interesting to see what the final product has on the street below and the skyline. This one won’t disappoint. 

6F537FD7-7A9D-42B0-9C06-A302B66A9F45.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks for the picture. Yes, this is a HUGE upgrade to what was there before, surface parking. It takes up a huge lot and is going to have some really good height. Really positive for downtown. Now if we can get the next lot to the south and also the Salvation Army Lot on Main and Central...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Hash said:

Low quality, but though I’d throw a picture up here from yesterday. That’s the 10th floor they are starting on at the top so this will have another 9 stories above that partial floor. 

It always interesting to see what the final product has on the street below and the skyline. This one won’t disappoint. 

6F537FD7-7A9D-42B0-9C06-A302B66A9F45.jpeg

Looking forward to finding out if Kroger completely integrated Mariano's concept into this store.

I parked down on Court St a few weeks back with some friends, and when I got out of the car and turned around, the nine stories of this new building poking out from the historic facades on Court made the street feel totally different. Everything felt a little cozier. Filling in these voids in the city, even if the building itself isn't particularly remarkable, improves the feel of the surrounding area immeasurably.

• Like 1

Guest jmecklenborg

The new part of the Allison condos, rapping around the corner onto Pleasant St., unexpectedly filled more of a "void" than did phase 1 along Race St. 

This new tower is filling the most egregious parking lot crater in the downtown.  Two blocks in a row of surface parking are always disastrous.  Now the Joseph block + St. Xavier Church parking lot are probably the worst along with the no-man's land north of City Hall. 

Btw to those who were curious what the old Court Street market looked like, here is a blog post, it even addresses the mysterious early 90s signs: http://www.diggingcincinnati.com/2014/02/court-street-market-since-1829.html

The markethouse sadly was pretty modest, very wild west looking, nothing  like the one at Plum Street built by Hanaford.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yesterday I noticed that you can see the crane poking out from the corner of Culvert and New Streets down in the P&G parking lot district. I snapped a pic. 

Also, check out the progress on the Downtown Kroger instagram feed:

Kroger crane.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yves Behar said:

Looks good from 71 too. I hope that in the future Central parkway will evolve into it's own distinct district with high rise buildings. It has so much potential to be a tiny downtown of it's own.

I would love to see this happen. Central Pkwy. has a distinct feel that I like. it would be great to see a few taller buildings added in. 

Edited by NorthsiderWithaDog

6 hours ago, NorthsiderWithaDog said:

I would love to see this happen. Central Pkwy. has a distinct feel that I like. it would be great to see a few taller buildings added in. 

I agree. I think its where the downtown aesthetic meets the historic OTR aesthetic. If the downtown side of Central Parkway could be lined with with mid/high rises, Central Parkway would truly look amazing. I foresee having a full-fledged grocery store in the exact center of the urban core will be a catalyst for larger projects. 

Guest jmecklenborg
1 hour ago, taestell said:

A reminder of how tall this thing is going to be when finished:

And a reminder of how foolish it was to not move the streetcar transformer into the new structure. 

Will Dusty Rhodes finally stop complaining about the five parking meters removed from Court Street for streetcar construction now that we have this gigantic garage in the same location?

Edited by BigDipper 80
  • Like 2

“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

Seeing this makes me wonder what the highest point i can drive my car to is in Cincinnati. I remember some great views from the Deaconess and Christ Hospital Garages. Just something odd about that render showing the cars well above the rooftops of the older Court St. Buildings.

10 hours ago, jmecklenborg said:

And a reminder of how foolish it was to not move the streetcar transformer into the new structure. 

The access and structural requirements for this transformer in an inside location would be much greater than what is need in its current arrangement.  It was the right decision to leave it where it is.

3CDC is apparently working on a new streetscape for Court Street. Hopefully within that project they can do a better job of "hiding" that transformer.

Remember that there was originally going to be a more significant structure wrapping around that transformer. One of the results of the cost-cutting freakouts that happened after Cranley was elected is that it was reduced to what is there today, with brick walls only on the east and west sides.

Guest jmecklenborg

When and if something is built in the parking lot south of Court St. there will be another opportunity to move the transformer. 

Guest jmecklenborg
2 minutes ago, troeros said:

Could that small block where the transformer sits be able to support a smallish mixed use structure? 

Yeah, but we'd be getting into the sort of thing that has been proposed for San Francisco, where they want to build apartments out in the middle of wide streets and just leave a land or two on each side. 

21 minutes ago, taestell said:

I would much rather see the center parking eliminated and the median of Court Street turned back into a public space. After all, there's plenty of parking there now with the new garage.

It would be cool to expand the center area for vendors and/or pop-up events. If they would ever consider moving the City Flea, that would be a good spot for it.

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

2 hours ago, taestell said:

I'm hearing rumors that Kroger wants to build a new skywalk to connect their corporate HQ to the new store. If this happens, it will be a major blow to 3CDC's efforts to bring more foot traffic and more retail to Court Street.

Curious why this would be a major blow?

There are still thousands of CBD workers/otr workers who won't be able to use this skywalk.. 

1 minute ago, troeros said:

There are still thousands of CBD workers/otr workers who won't be able to use this skywalk.. 

Who aren't on the sidewalks as it is.  No point in siphoning off even more for no good reason. Maybe if Kroger improved their own streetscape and made the walk inviting, this wouldn't be an issue.  Their HQ presents a lot of blank wall to both Court Street and Central Parkway, fix THAT.  

Every pedestrian who is walking directly from building to building in the skywalk is a pedestrian who is not walking down the street, passing businesses and thinking “that store looks cool, maybe I’ll stop in there after work.”

Honestly part of the city’s Vision Zero program should include a commitment to deprecate the remaining sections of the skywalk. Pump those resources into improving street level pedestrian infrastructure like bump-outs, crosswalks, signage, scramble crossings, etc.

On 1/8/2019 at 9:06 AM, SleepyLeroy said:

Seeing this makes me wonder what the highest point i can drive my car to is in Cincinnati. I remember some great views from the Deaconess and Christ Hospital Garages. Just something odd about that render showing the cars well above the rooftops of the older Court St. Buildings.

I'd say Short Vine is the highest elevation in the core. I lived in a 3rd and 4th floor apartment on University Ave. half a block from Short Vine and the view was impressive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taestell said:

Every pedestrian who is walking directly from building to building in the skywalk is a pedestrian who is not walking down the street, passing businesses and thinking “that store looks cool, maybe I’ll stop in there after work.”

Honestly part of the city’s Vision Zero program should include a commitment to deprecate the remaining sections of the skywalk. Pump those resources into improving street level pedestrian infrastructure like bump-outs, crosswalks, signage, scramble crossings, etc.

i dont like Skywalks either but it is a minor tradeoff to get them to build a large downtown store and 300+ apartments in the urban core so I am willing to make that sacrifice. Plus it would not be open to the public and only Kroger employees so I can live with that.

It's not a sacrifice worth making after the fact, it's not like this was part of the original project.  Plus it's those Kroger employees that really need to be the ones on the street more than anyone else.  Both their HQ and the new building have their own internal parking garages, so they're total silos.  They shouldn't be encouraging even more internal circulation and lack of engagement with their surroundings.  That's one reason their urban stores have been so bad around here, they don't "get it" because they're not getting out enough.  

• Like 1

Didn't the public already make a bunch of sacrifices for this project, like granting them tax abatements while simultaneously exempting this project from having to pay into the VTICA (streetcar) fund? Did TIF funds go towards building the garage as well? No more sacrifices, thanks.

• Like 1

So if Kroger says it will build a 50 story new Skyscraper to house their downtown operations with 1000 space garage in the building. It would have the exact same effect as if Kroger put a private skywalk between their building and the store, just like they have over Vine Street.

Public Skywalks are the problem. They take people off the street who would not otherwise have an excuse to be in the building. The private ones are really no different than the company taking a bigger space in the building.

18 hours ago, taestell said:

I'm hearing rumors that Kroger wants to build a new skywalk to connect their corporate HQ to the new store. If this happens, it will be a major blow to 3CDC's efforts to bring more foot traffic and more retail to Court Street.

This makes no sense logistically, especially with 3CDC controlling the properties in between HQ and the store.  Is this a joke?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nicker66 said:

This makes no sense logistically, especially with 3CDC controlling the properties in between HQ and the store.  Is this a joke?

3CDC owns the buildings facing Court Street, but the rumors I heard are more about Kroger potentially acquiring the former Monro site and building the skywalk over that land.

19 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

Public Skywalks are the problem. They take people off the street who would not otherwise have an excuse to be in the building. The private ones are really no different than the company taking a bigger space in the building.

I am not convinced that this skywalk would be restricted to Kroger employees only. The lobby of the Kroger building is not restricted to Kroger employees, and the new Kroger store will obviously be open to the public, so why would they restrict the skywalk to only Kroger employees?

16 minutes ago, taestell said:

3CDC owns the buildings facing Court Street, but the rumors I heard are more about Kroger potentially acquiring the former Monro site and building the skywalk over that land.

I am not convinced that this skywalk would be restricted to Kroger employees only. The lobby of the Kroger building is not restricted to Kroger employees, and the new Kroger store will obviously be open to the public, so why would they restrict the skywalk to only Kroger employees?

Do you have a problem with P&G having a skywalk over Broadway?

A skywalk between two P&G office buildings that you are not allowed to enter unless you are a P&G employee or a registered guest? No, I don't have a huge problem with that.

A skywalk between the public Kroger store and the public Kroger Building lobby? Yes, I have a problem with that. The existence of that skywalk would take much needed foot traffic off of Court Street.