Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Guest KJP

Cleveland: Brooklyn Centre / Old Brooklyn: Development and News

Recommended Posts

Not sure how much of an improvement this is over a junk yard. At least it's got a decent street presence on Pearl.

 

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2019/11152019/index.php#myGallery

 

NW2019-027 - Dollar General New Construction: Seeking Schematic Design Approval
Project Address: 4323 Pearl Road
Project Representative: John Wojtila, Zaremba

 

 

Dollar_General_IMG_02.jpg

 

Dollar_General_IMG_06.jpg

 

Dollar_General_IMG_07.jpg

  • Poison 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like you say, it's better than a junkyard, but for a hopeful 'up and coming' neighborhood, this stinks. Especially with all of the uhmph they've put into the Pearl road stretch, the neighborhood should be more inviting to pedestrians and cyclists.

 

Speaking of, I wonder if anything would ever be built on the HUGE Rite Aid parking lot on Broadview. Some new businesses have opened up in the Valley/Broadview neck of the woods (Corner of the Sky Bookstore, Buckland Museum, and hopefully some more).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since no address is given, I assume that this is the old YMCA site? (BTW, this project isn't to be confused with NRP's Metro North project I'm also about to post in the 

 

Near West Design Review Case Report

METRO SOUTH NRP

 Return to Case List | Start Over | Print Report (PDF format)

Project Information

Near West Case #  NW 2019-038

Address:West 25th Street

Company:NRP Group

Architect:

Description:

New construction mixed use building with approximately 100 market-rate units and 16,000 sq. ft. of commercial tenant space. 

 

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/brd/detailDR.php?ID=3375&CASE=NW 2019-038

  • Like 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KJP said:

Since no address is given, I assume that this is the old YMCA site? (BTW, this project isn't to be confused with NRP's Metro North project I'm also about to post in the 

 

Near West Design Review Case Report

METRO SOUTH NRP

 Return to Case List | Start Over | Print Report (PDF format)

Project Information

Near West Case #  NW 2019-038

Address:West 25th Street

Company:NRP Group

Architect:

Description:

New construction mixed use building with approximately 100 market-rate units and 16,000 sq. ft. of commercial tenant space. 

 

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/brd/detailDR.php?ID=3375&CASE=NW 2019-038

I'll grab a pic one of these days, they've been going steady for probably a month now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KJP said:

Since no address is given, I assume that this is the old YMCA site? (BTW, this project isn't to be confused with NRP's Metro North project I'm also about to post in the 

 

Near West Design Review Case Report

METRO SOUTH NRP

 Return to Case List | Start Over | Print Report (PDF format)

Project Information

Near West Case #  NW 2019-038

Address:West 25th Street

Company:NRP Group

Architect:

Description:

New construction mixed use building with approximately 100 market-rate units and 16,000 sq. ft. of commercial tenant space. 

 

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/brd/detailDR.php?ID=3375&CASE=NW 2019-038

I think the YMCA site is housing with supportive services, not market rate. 
 

I think it’s been mentioned before, but NRP is partnering with Metro on the housing aspect of their master plan. Not sure where on 25th it is but one of those vacant lots west of Metro is a good guess.

 

https://www.clevelandjewishnews.com/news/local_news/metrohealth-project-aims-to-revitalize-neighborhood/article_297a550c-bf82-11e9-9221-6fa88771570b.html

Edited by bumsquare

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How is this different from NRP's Metro North project I just posted in the Clark-Metro thread?


"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, KJP said:

 

36 minutes ago, KJP said:

How is this different from NRP's Metro North project I just posted in the Clark-Metro thread?

Idk, but the fact it says W. 25th street and not Pearl Road indicates this is north of 71.

Edited by bumsquare
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, originaljbw said:

The bowling alley/bar next to the YMCA is bulldozed. Bring on the new builds!

20191125_145050.jpg

Sad. I really liked that old building. Now what exactly is going here? This is all confusing.

F006A79D-73A2-4990-ABE9-541D6000C3FF.jpeg

Edited by marty15
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, originaljbw said:

^Ariel Ventures, the people behing Ariel International and Ariel Pearl party centers are planning on an apartment building seperate from the YMCA project. If you check out their website they seem to have a lot of urban infill development going on.

 

https://www.arielventures.com/ariel/aboutUs.html

 

Hmmm, you'd have a chance for a view of downtown from the third floor city facing apartments (at least until Metro is wrapped up). I wonder if they were waiting for revenue to climb at their event center before moving on apartments (as of now, it seems like there's something in there maybe 4-6x a month?), they've got a light on on the third floor, but other than that it seems stripped to the studs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife took this photo yesterday as I drove north on Pearl/West 25th. This is the new Emerald Alliance XI housing at the site of the old Brooklyn YMCA, being built by CHN Housing and Eden Cleveland....

EP2_FSmX4AAGHFo?format=jpg&name=4096x409

  • Like 7

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is an exciting under-reported project. Eden is such a great organization and providing a service for which there is an unfortunate growing need for... and they have some of the nicest people working for them!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ Yay! At first I was indifferent about the DG proposal since what is being replaced isn't anything spectacular; however, I just drove through here this past weekend and changed my mind. It may not be the prettiest collection of buildings, but is has a kind of rambling industrial complex vibe that may prove more marketable as OB continues to evolve.  I think we will be thanking ourselves we didn't allow a tear-down here in the near future.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, YO to the CLE said:

^ Yay! At first I was indifferent about the DG proposal since what is being replaced isn't anything spectacular; however, I just drove through here this past weekend and changed my mind. It may not be the prettiest collection of buildings, but is has a kind of rambling industrial complex vibe that may prove more marketable as OB continues to evolve.  I think we will be thanking ourselves we didn't allow a tear-down here in the near future.

 

I wonder if they can change their proposal up to try and force it in. DG doesn't seem like the type of business that's going to give up without a fight....or just move to like Brooklyn Centre or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, GISguy said:

 

I wonder if they can change their proposal up to try and force it in. DG doesn't seem like the type of business that's going to give up without a fight....or just move to like Brooklyn Centre or something.

 

I would not be surprised to see them take over the nearby Family Dollar or Walgreen's instead (This is pure speculation; I have no evidence that either will close).... I'm still surprised that the Family Dollar on Broadview and Pearl has managed to stay open despite there being one opening in the former Aldi's on Pearl, just north of the bridge... (I know the stores serve two separate neighborhoods but I'm still surprised sales are high enough to justify keeping both open).  (The More you know: the Family Dollar on Broadview and Pearl was previously a movie theater that was demolished in the late 80s/early 90s with community support because it showed 'adult' films; then was a Discount Drug Mart for about 15 years until Family Dollar moved in there in the late 00s...

 

 

Also there was a proposal in the mid 70 (before the library was built) for State Road to meet a less sharper angle to Pearl (the road would have been where the library is ; I'll try to dig up the map...)

spacer.png

Edited by skorasaurus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GISguy said:

Looks like Dollar General is DOA. As an Old Brooklynite I'm okay with this.

86350485_2989585764405873_2626896358665093120_n.jpg

 

When NIMBYism has an actual purpose. Bravo

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2020 at 11:27 AM, skorasaurus said:

 

I would not be surprised to see them take over the nearby Family Dollar or Walgreen's instead (This is pure speculation; I have no evidence that either will close).... I'm still surprised that the Family Dollar on Broadview and Pearl has managed to stay open despite there being one opening in the former Aldi's on Pearl, just north of the bridge... (I know the stores serve two separate neighborhoods but I'm still surprised sales are high enough to justify keeping both open).  (The More you know: the Family Dollar on Broadview and Pearl was previously a movie theater that was demolished in the late 80s/early 90s with community support because it showed 'adult' films; then was a Discount Drug Mart for about 15 years until Family Dollar moved in there in the late 00s...

 

 

On 4/29/2019 at 11:49 AM, mrnyc said:

broadvue theater

pearl road

 

Broadvue-Movie-Theater-Pearl-Road-Parma-

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2020 at 11:27 AM, skorasaurus said:

 

I would not be surprised to see them take over the nearby Family Dollar or Walgreen's instead (This is pure speculation; I have no evidence that either will close).... I'm still surprised that the Family Dollar on Broadview and Pearl has managed to stay open despite there being one opening in the former Aldi's on Pearl, just north of the bridge... (I know the stores serve two separate neighborhoods but I'm still surprised sales are high enough to justify keeping both open).  (The More you know: the Family Dollar on Broadview and Pearl was previously a movie theater that was demolished in the late 80s/early 90s with community support because it showed 'adult' films; then was a Discount Drug Mart for about 15 years until Family Dollar moved in there in the late 00s...

 

 

Also there was a proposal in the mid 70 (before the library was built) for State Road to meet a less sharper angle to Pearl (the road would have been where the library is ; I'll try to dig up the map...)

spacer.png

You tear an entire structure down based off what they showed?! You could've petitioned for them to be more family friendly or simply, idk, CHANGED THE USE OF THE BUILDING. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for the bit of blur, everyone was stopped for a passing ambulance. Tried to get a quick one before traffic picked back up. The Housing First building is going up pretty quick on the old YMCA site thanks to a mild winter!

20200305_171559.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, originaljbw said:

Sorry for the bit of blur, everyone was stopped for a passing ambulance. Tried to get a quick one before traffic picked back up. The Housing First building is going up pretty quick on the old YMCA site thanks to a mild winter!

 

 

I keep meaning to snag one in the other direction. It's cool seeing this as well as the crane/elevator shafts going up at metro. Next time anyone is on the Pearl road bridge by the zoo you'll see what I mean. 

 

Heck, as I type this I can see the crane lights blinking at metro. Such a cool time to be a Clevelander!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, two cranes on the westside/not downtown! If Brooklyn Center can get a few more of these sized projects on Pearl or Denison home prices are going skyrocket.

  • Poison 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, originaljbw said:

Yes, two cranes on the westside/not downtown! If Brooklyn Center can get a few more of these sized projects on Pearl or Denison home prices are going skyrocket.

Lol I only give that reaction because I'm trying to buy soon and ob is the only place where prices still seem fair by cle standards.

 

"Old Brooklyn, best kept secret" lol

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...