Sign in to follow this  
Guest ryanlammi

In The World: United Kingdom

F**king idiots. And I say this as a Brit. I was on the fence about turning my green card into US citizenship. I think this has made my mind up for me.

And they reckon that the last thing she saw in her life was
Sting, singing on the roof of the Barbican

"Make Britain Great Again."

Scottish independence is all but certain (has a second referendum been announced yet?) and an Ireland reunification grows likelier.

Still...at least it's a good time to visit England. The pound has fallen hard.

F**king idiots. And I say this as a Brit. I was on the fence about turning my green card into US citizenship. I think this has made my mind up for me.

Maybe wait until November to make that decision...

General consensus is that the Brexit will hurt the UK's standing with Europe, limit it's trade capabilities with Europe, and really damage it's huge financial center in London. It's citizens may lose the ability to freely work in Europe.

The only real benefit I see is that Britain can control the flow of immigrants as they wish.

From the leave.eu website:

In 1975, the British public voted ‘yes’ to a free trade deal with Europe.

What they didn't vote for was a 'United States of Europe'; one that would go on to crush our democracy, and in the process create a class of politicians clearly in it for themselves.

We now pay a staggering membership fee of £15 billion each year to the EU. In return, we run a massive trade deficit with Germany, France and nearly every other European country.

If 3 million UK jobs depend on our membership of the EU, then even more jobs in Europe depend on our economy.

We will always be a part of Europe. But the EU is run for big business, big banks and big politics - not for ordinary people. 

We are confident that a public "in the know", will say 'no' to the EU, and vote to leave in the referendum on EU membership.

Since our 'The Know' campaign launch in August, we have gained over 400,000 followers. We recently have re-branded the campaign to 'Leave.eu' reflecting the wording change in the referendum question and thousands of people continue to join every day.

Let’s take a stand. Together, we can win back our country!

So... "Make the UK great again"

Maybe wait until November to make that decision...

LOL. I hear ya! At least politicians are term limited. This EU cluster will be around for decades and I'm closing in on 50, so it ain't going away in my lifetime... In fact, I think it's a permanent schism. The 'price' of any re-entry won't be favorable.

And they reckon that the last thing she saw in her life was
Sting, singing on the roof of the Barbican

General consensus is that the Brexit will hurt the UK's standing with Europe, limit it's trade capabilities with Europe, and really damage it's huge financial center in London. It's citizens may lose the ability to freely work in Europe.

The only real benefit I see is that Britain can control the flow of immigrants as they wish.

UK has to renegotiate trade deals with the very countries they just rejected. I doubt the big dogs; Germany, France, Spain, and Italy accept whatever UK offers. Expect lots of Trump comparisons. The best, biggest deals.

But not even this really, since to have access to the EU market they'll most likely have to accept the free movement of people. Just like Norway.

But not even this really, since to have access to the EU market they'll most likely have to accept the free movement of people. Just like Norway.

Not true though. The UK has always managed it's own immigration policies, which is why you still have to show your passport when traveling between an EU country and the UK.     

This is the Brexit movement's equivalent of Trumps wall.  An anti-immigration platform that the leaders know will attract the idiocracy.  And apparently it worked well.

Note that Donald Trump congratulated Scotland while there this morning, who he didn't seem to realize voted AGAINST the exit and are considering leaving the United Kingdom. 

There are very few times it's a bad idea for a country to strengthen its sovereignty, and this is not one of them. The voter turnout was 72% so this can't be blamed on some sort of fluke - it really was the will of the people.

Here's an interesting article about how Brexit might be a reflection of the upcoming US election: Five reasons Brexit could signal Trump winning the White House.

Might be the end of the UK as we know it.  I like the idea of an independent Scotland, otherwise this all seems pretty stupid.

Young and/or urban Brits voted strongly in favor to remain in EU while the older, more rural Brits voted to leave. It is quite possible that in a decade or two this vote will be revisited, especially since the margin was 51.9% to 48.1%.

UK-EU-infographics3-e1448886000725.jpg

More demographic breakdowns....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/eu-referendum-how-the-results-compare-to-the-uks-educated-old-an/

It is also quite likely that international financial institutions based in London may relocate to New York City. Those who want to remain close to Europe my choose Brussels, Dublin, Frankfurt or other cities.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

Might be the end of the UK as we know it.  I like the idea of an independent Scotland, otherwise this all seems pretty stupid.

Division is division. The idea that Scotland will be better off dividing itself from England over EU membership is short sighted on their part. If the EU falls apart, Scotland will be less relevant than ever. Love the idea of reunified Ireland though.

I wish people were as wound up about a borderline dictatorship like Turkey joining the EU. Or the way the EU has treated immigration recently. They've behaved very Trump like as a whole.

I'm not going to judge the British. With 52% voting yes on 72% voter turnout I don't buy the simple "they're all racist" narrative. Hard to believe all the people that voted yes were white. I'm sure there were many complex regional and local issues that weren't reported by American media.

That being said, Cameron has impressed me so much.

On the lighter side....

CltSvbjWIAAUx7Z.jpg:large

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

Young and/or urban Brits voted strongly in favor to remain in EU while the older, more rural Brits voted to leave. It is quite possible that in a decade or two this vote will be revisited, especially since the margin was 51.9% to 48.1%.

It's more likely see other EU countries start to jump ship, and in 10 years there won't be an EU for anyone to go back to: The Brexit contagion: How France, Italy and the Netherlands now want their referendum too

There are very few times it's a bad idea for a country to strengthen its sovereignty, and this is not one of them.

lol at this extremely broad statement.

Given your slogan, this is exactly the response I'd expect to such a statement. The growing resistance to Cultural Marxism played a big part in why Britain voted the way they did.

Given your slogan, this is exactly the response I'd expect to such a statement. The growing resistance to Cultural Marxism played a big part in why Britain voted the way they did.

Haha. I made that my slogan a few months ago when every other post that tried to counter mine mentioned Cultural Marxism or Political Correctness.

And no country is going to try to leave for a few years at least. They are going to see what happens with the UK. But even that isn't entirely the same scenario, because suddenly all of these countries would have to guard all of their borders and start new currency, things the UK had already been doing because of their unique status as an island(ish) and special privileges they were already given. It would be way more complicated for other countries.

It's more likely see other EU countries start to jump ship, and in 10 years there won't be an EU for anyone to go back to: The Brexit contagion: How France, Italy and the Netherlands now want their referendum too

There are very few times it's a bad idea for a country to strengthen its sovereignty, and this is not one of them.

lol at this extremely broad statement.

I'm very curious to see if this separatist contagion spreads to our shores over the next decade or stops with the UK move. I think the last Quebec referendum in the 1990s was 54/46 to stay with Canada.

I doubt that, we don't have a Scotland or Ireland over here in terms of independent history.  Quebec, with its own language, is the closest thing.  And I can't imagine them leaving Canada under Trudeau.

I doubt that, we don't have a Scotland or Ireland over here in terms of independent history.  Quebec, with its own language, is the closest thing.  And I can't imagine them leaving Canada under Trudeau.

Some of the hardest separatist flights happened under his dad and he was very popular inside Quebec. His son is an unproven commodity in a changing world.

New France/Quebec has been kicking around since the 1500s. It's not a new kid on the block.

Anyway, I don't want to steer this away from the UK.

^ I agree with that. Also, I'm pretty sure the remain vote got less than 51% in the 90s for Quebec

Right...it was 51/49. Only 60,000 votes separated remain and leave.

Texas?

On the lighter side....

CltSvbjWIAAUx7Z.jpg:large

The Eurostar, by the way, like all UK ports of entry, required a passport to be presented from all countries, EU included.

Do you think members of the EU parliament Googled Greece during Germany's attempt to force a Grexit? I bet some did!  :laugh:

Switzerland never joined the EU and they're doing fine.  Same with Norway. 

I'm not sure why people don't understand that the whole problem with the EU is that the small countries can and do exploit the larger countries.  Imagine if Mexico started using the U.S. Dollar and the shared currency was lorded over by an agency that did not directly represent the United States.  It would turn into a circus as scumbag bankers in Mexico would start exploiting the weak points in the arrangement and the U.S. would have no way to directly protect itself. 

Not really the same thing at all. That would be a two-nation agreement in which one is clearly more powerful than the other. The EU has many parties that are all economically strong (Germany, France, Sweden, UK, etc). And Switzerland and Norway still cooperate with the EU in a lot of ways (the Schengen agreement is one of the big ones). The UK is still going to have to abide by EU regulations if they want to work in or sell products to EU member nations. Their companies will now likely have a much harder time setting up businesses in EU countries and taking advantage of cheaper labor or costs of living.

Texas?

No not really.  Their independence was a blip on history's radar, and only happened as part of America's plan to steal half of Mexico.

^^Bad analogy since britain kept its own pound sterling as part of joining the EU.  The benefits were ease of travel and ease of trade. Things coming from Europe will now likely cost the English 20% or more going forward. They will need to create their own industry again so that they can afford anything.  I expect the real estate market to collapse in England in probably 3-6 months as foreigners start to leave.

Switzerland never joined the EU and they're doing fine.  Same with Norway. 

I'm not sure why people don't understand that the whole problem with the EU is that the small countries can and do exploit the larger countries.  Imagine if Mexico started using the U.S. Dollar and the shared currency was lorded over by an agency that did not directly represent the United States.  It would turn into a circus as scumbag bankers in Mexico would start exploiting the weak points in the arrangement and the U.S. would have no way to directly protect itself. 

Except in the case of Britain, a "large" country filled with scumbag bankers who are going to move elsewhere to continue their "exploits." 

Switzerland and Norway are not the greatest comparisons either.  The Swiss have a history of neutrality and are secondary in banking to London. The rest of Europe is used to dealing with them as kissing cousins.    Norway basically subjugated itself to the EU without joining, something the nationalist masses in the UK will not want to swallow even after creating the situation.   

^^^Scotland has been a part of GB longer than the USA has existed

For those of you doubting Trump's diplomatic skills, he is in Scotland now congratulating them on Brexit.  Nevermind that Scotland voted fairly overwhelmingly to stay in the EU.  It is the thought that counts.

The Swiss have a history of neutrality and are secondary in banking to London.

England has a history of being an island.  It also kept its own currency throughout this whole adventure and so the transition will be hardly be noticeable. 

I expect the real estate market to collapse in England in probably 3-6 months as foreigners start to leave.

Collapse?  Real estate in London is insanely expensive, in part because rich scumbags from around the world buy things in England to get their dirty money into a legit currency.  Notice that they haven't been doing that elsewhere in Europe, most of which uses the Euro.  England will be using the pound tomorrow just like they were using it yesterday.  The party will keep rocking. 

^^Bad analogy since britain kept its own pound sterling as part of joining the EU.  The benefits were ease of travel and ease of trade. Things coming from Europe will now likely cost the English 20% or more going forward. They will need to create their own industry again so that they can afford anything.  I expect the real estate market to collapse in England in probably 3-6 months as foreigners start to leave.

This vote shows that people would rather bring industry back so they can have jobs than pay a little bit lower prices for goods and services. The real estate market won't collapse, it might correct a bit as foreigners leave. That would, in the long run, make housing more affordable for those in the UK who need it. So far globalism has shown to benefit mostly large multinational corporations and third world countries, while harming the people of first world countries. Brexit might serve as a wakeup call.

This vote shows that people would rather bring industry back so they can have jobs than pay a little bit lower prices for goods and services. The real estate market won't collapse, it might correct a bit as foreigners leave. That would, in the long run, make housing more affordable for those in the UK who need it. So far globalism has shown to benefit mostly large multinational corporations and third world countries, while harming the people of first world countries. Brexit might serve as a wakeup call.

Ultimately the third world needs to get developed, that's not a bad thing.  It would stem a lot of the mass migration so feared by conservatives.

But the costs of free trade have been disproportionately borne by the lower classes and that's why we're seeing Brexits and Trumps.  Localized trade isn't a bad thing either.  It's more sustainable than shipping everything around to save pennies on labor, and it keeps more people employed.  I guess I'm saying the reasoning behind Brexit is not entirely racist or unsound.  Definitely some racism involved, but trade policy is a separate issue and maybe the left should back off on globalism a bit.

Also it should be noted that Switzerland only permits foreigners to buy a single house.  Rich Russians and Arabs can't buy 25 condos in a condo tower in Zurich and never live in them like they do in London, Toronto, New York, etc.  Few people benefit from escalating housing prices, and most of those were wealthy to begin with.