Sign in to follow this  
Guest KJP

Seattle: Developments and News

Although a testament to how quickly Seattle's core is growing, I think that article is more a testament to how incredibly poorly San Francisco has adapted to extreme housing demand. A city of its size with its level of demand should have no problem building 10,000 housing units per year to meet its needs but instead everything gets held up by NIMBYism and obnoxious approval processes.

Here's a really cool website that tracks development in Seattle: https://www.seattleinprogress.com/

It is truly nuts.  I think that it will cool off now that Amazon won't grow only in Seattle though.

As far as the glass towers, I guess it's not to everyone's taste, and it certainly isn't old NYC, but it's still interesting to me.  Glass reflects the conditions outside to an extent, so the colors aren't static.  And at night, it lights up very nicely. 

The Sun Sphere is quite is not something that should be celebrated. It looks like a cheap plastic 80s piece of crap.

Jake - what is your connection to Tennessee anyway? It seems you spend a lot of time in Nashville and Knoxville?

The Sun Sphere is quite is not something that should be celebrated. It looks like a cheap plastic 80s piece of crap.

You might change your mind if you saw a certain Simpsons episode. It's a classic!

I lived in Tennessee for 5 years. 

Around 1999 or 2000 I went to the Sun Sphere and there were birds living in the observation deck level and flying around and pooping on the inside of the gold-tinted glass.  I guess there was a hole somewhere. 

Microsoft steps up with game-changing support for housing

sunrise-seattle-skyline-above-the-fog-mi

Microsoft is celebrating its 40th anniversary in the Puget Sound region with a remarkable gift.

The $500 million investment in affordable housing that the company announced on Thursday is unprecedented, magnanimous and impactful.

This should reset the regional discussion about Puget Sound’s housing shortage. It encourages the business community to help solve a complex and pressing challenge. The Redmond software giant also brings much needed context to an affordability discussion that’s overly focused on Seattle and ever more increases in public spending. Affordability is a national and regional challenge requiring a mix of creative solutions from the public and private sectors.

More below:

https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/editorials/microsoft-steps-up-with-game-changing-support-for-housing/

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

^ wow, isn't that something? it will definitely have a major positive impact. the back to the city movement in america is really pushing people out to the banlieues.