Sign in to follow this  
Guest casey

Columbus: Downtown: Millennial Tower

Well it is proposed at over 400 feet so I want it *sigh*.  I think the kindest way I could describe it would be by saying it is "charmfree" and completely free an  unhindered by any aesthetic considerations.  *Must think of the how it will function and fill things in instead of how this "Bertha" of a building looks*

Can we confirm that ANY of Arshot's proposals have ever been built?

Yea, they built the 25-story Fifth Third Building. They also built the 6-story building next to the proposed Millennial Tower location. They've also built or renovated numerous buildings in the Brewery District.

The only high profile project I know of that has been a failure by Arshot is SPARC, which was an incredibly ambitious project from the start. I"m not sure it's fair to take their failure with the SPARC project and assume they are completely incapable of completing Millennial Tower if they gain approval. SPARC was a bit outlandish for the area. Millennial Tower fits perfectly in the area it is proposed for, at least in terms of use.

Arshot built the taller, tower addition to the 5/3 building at State and High in 1998 (but no longer own it), and renovated the former Woolworths across High St into CVS/Subway and offices (topped with an LED screen) around that time as well. They also built the brick office building facing Bicentennial Park (directly behind the Millennial Tower lot, though they also no longer are the owner) I want to say around 2002. Before that they were active in the Brewery District and still own the Worley Building and much of the renovated Hoster Brewing complex there (and freeway adjacent LED screen). Most recently they redid the smaller brick office building at State and High and connected it into their neighboring Woolworths project (while also of course adding a massive LED ad screen wrap)

edit: cbussoccer beat me to it! :)

Arshot built the taller, tower addition to the 5/3 building at State and High in 1998 (but no longer own it), and renovated the former Woolworths across High St into CVS/Subway and offices (topped with an LED screen) around that time as well. They also built the brick office building facing Bicentennial Park (directly behind the Millennial Tower lot, though they also no longer are the owner) I want to say around 2002. Before that they were active in the Brewery District and still own the Worley Building and much of the renovated Hoster Brewing complex there (and freeway adjacent LED screen). Most recently they redid the smaller brick office building at State and High and connected it into their neighboring Woolworths project (while also of course adding a massive LED ad screen wrap)

Just barely lol.

Do you know of any failed high profile projects by Arshot, other than SPARC? SPARC is the only one that comes to mind for me. If that's the case, I find it quite humorous that the general consensus seems to be there is no way Millennial Tower happens because SPARC never happened. Millennial Tower is a mixed-use tower in a quickly growing part of downtown. SPARC was an extremely ambitious race track based idea in a dead part of town. I'm not sure the two are comparable. 

Do you know of any failed high profile projects by Arshot, other than SPARC? SPARC is the only one that comes to mind for me. If that's the case, I find it quite humorous that the general consensus seems to be there is no way Millennial Tower happens because SPARC never happened. Millennial Tower is a mixed-use tower in a quickly growing part of downtown. SPARC was an extremely ambitious race track based idea in a dead part of town. I'm not sure the two are comparable.

I would say that Arshot (Bill Schottenstein) has a history of dreaming maybe a little too big and having a tendency to bite off more than he can chew (not the worst qualities at all btw)

Other than SPARC, the most high profile project of his I can remember that never came to fruition at all was the proposed second phase of Bicentennial Plaza (brick office building), that would have been a large, residential tower across Cherry St from phase 1 at the corner of 2nd and Main

Most of his other stuff maybe didn't fully live up to its original billing or have enough real staying power, but he did build it in some form eventually

In addition to the vacant Cooper Stadium wasteland, skepticism of Arshot probably comes because he's lost some high profile property to repossession by lenders in recent memory (5/3 building, Bicentennial Plaza), and some of his other stuff has been plagued by vacancies (retail in Brewer's Yard, Brewmaster's Gate, 5/3 building) or maintenance issues (LED screens atop CVS half missing, other half almost always broken)

That said, even though I take anything he proposes with a grain of salt, I really hope he can get Millennial Tower off the ground in some form. Arshot certainly doesn't have the polish of Pizzuti, or the reliability of NRI, but he does propose and take on projects that probably no one else would. This hasn't always been totally successful, but overall he's added a lot more to the city than detracted from it

I attended the Downtown Commission meeting - the tower was approved. No word on retail tenants, hotelier or groundbreaking. I think the project looks pretty good.

I attended the Downtown Commission meeting - the tower was approved. No word on retail tenants, hotelier or groundbreaking. I think the project looks pretty good.

My body is ready.

Any comments on the dreaded LED signs?

My body is ready.

Any comments on the dreaded LED signs?

The giant LED screen is gone, replaced by a steel mesh and tinted windows to hide the garage portion. There is a marquee sign with a blade extending up 80' or so. That's all LED but it's designed to be a part of the building rather than a wrap. The commission didn't have any issues with it. There are LED strip lights delineating some of the floors.

It looks modern too me. It may look strange because there isn't a ton of new mid-rise construction in Ohio but they're building similar angled stuff all around the DC burbs that allow mid-rise building heights.

^ Columbus Underground reported it as being 412 feet tall, but I have a hard time seeing that based on the rendering. Perhaps the rendering is just selling it short (pun intended).

Any word on their thoughts on the Borror and LC projects?

As for this tower, I think it is much improved. Hopefully they really do have tenants and financing lined up and can start ASAP!

I won't say I like it, but I think it's much improved from the original render

I'll say it - I like it!  It's not a world beater and likely won't be what people think of when they think of Columbus, but its impact will be large and I believe very positive for that area.

As for this tower, I think it is much improved. Hopefully they really do have tenants and financing lined up and can start ASAP!

The Borror project was approved. LC said they are trying to "move from red to black" by lowering the cost of materials in Matan and eliminating a floor on the Beatty. Both changes were approved.

The Borror project was approved. LC said they are trying to "move from red to black" by lowering the cost of materials in Matan and eliminating a floor on the Beatty. Both changes were approved.

Sounds like LC bit off more they could chew.

27-Story Millennial Tower Approved by Downtown Commission

timthumb.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.columbusunderground.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F01%2Fmillennial-tower.jpg&q=90&w=650&zc=1&

The Downtown Commission voted to approve the Millennial Tower project today, meaning the 27-story mixed-use building at the corner of Front and Rich streets is now free to move forward.

Commissioners were overwhelmingly positive in their comments about the latest design, which features a very different approach to the building’s LED signage.

While previous iterations had envisioned a screen that would wrap around the entire building at a height of six stories, the new proposal calls for two smaller signs, both on the Front Street side – a vertical one that would extend nearly 90 feet up the side of the building, and a horizontal marquee that would measure about 86 feet in length.

More below:

http://www.columbusunderground.com/27-story-millennial-tower-approved-by-downtown-commission-bw1

$150M Millennial Tower (now with a smaller LED sign) gets green light from city

The proposed 27-story Millennial Tower, which had neighbors in downtown's RiverSouth neighborhood screaming "not in my backyard," has gotten the green light from the Downtown Commission.

But this isn't the same building that once promised a six-story wrap-around LED board.

The 750,000-square-foot building proposed by developer Arshot Investment Group finally landed a certificate of appropriateness for the southwest corner of Front and Rich streets by refining the designs. Specifically by slimming the marquee to 7 feet tall, 14 feet off the ground and facing only Front Street.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2018/01/23/150m-millennial-tower-now-with-a-smaller-led-sign.html

Just barely lol.

Thank you both for answering my question, albeit that it was supposed to be somewhat sarcastic.  Their website is as dated as their most recent success.  I really hope this happens because I want everything proposed, especially this in its newly approved form.  I'm just not going to hold my breath until the first piece of steel is raised.

All in all I don't think SPARC was that outrageous of a plan and he had some big names involved.  We have a very good car culture here in Central Ohio and even with that it was a BIG swing and a miss somehow.  Would've been very nice to have around during Goodguy's, the races up at Mid-Ohio(who they should've included), they added MAG(not the best business partner but great for the brands) and probably should've included the Byers/Ricart/Germain families. 

Has this started yet?

If only, No it seems for the most part we are all still in the dark on this one.

The LED board at State & High is still running ads for office and retail tenants, ELFORD is still running ads for office tenants, and the tower did get final approval from the Downtown commission... but no dirt has been moved.

Theories

- The site is currently being used as construction staging for the LC projects, so maybe Arshot is waiting for that to wrap up before they break ground (milk it for every penny they can)

- The site also has monthly parking permits that they may be phasing out

- The project still has a bit more financial finagling to get wrapped up or construction to schedule (which I hear it'sbecome a nightmare to get labor)

- The project is maybe dead

I hope its the first or second but time will tell. What I do know is that in the year and a half it took to get approvals the estimated costs went from $90 Million to $150 Million, that concerns me. I walk by it daily looking for signs of life.

Possible Update

Elford has been contracted as the construction and leasing group for this project and has had it subtly listed on their website for about 6 months now since approval... Thats not really news.

What is news however is the recent updates to their website regarding the project:

- Now prominently featured on their "FREATURED PROJECTS" page

- Now has two agents attached to the project

- Now listing the hotel as a 130 Room Hilton Hotel

- Added a theatre to the building features

- Now has a complete breakdown of CAM, Available office, Retail, and Condos

Does this mean we are closer to this happening? Not sure but it is new as I've been closely watching this page for months.

Anyone daring enough to make some calls? Haha

https://elfordrealty.com/property/millennial-tower/

Possible Update

Elford has been contracted as the construction and leasing group for this project and has had it subtly listed on their website for about 6 months now since approval... Thats not really news.

What is news however is the recent updates to their website regarding the project:

Does this mean we are closer to this happening? Not sure but it is new as I've been closely watching this page for months.

Interesting. Maybe we could get things moving before the end of the year....

Possible Update

Andy Mills makes things happen, I'm taking this project a lot more seriously now that he's on board.  Also I trust his guidance overall a lot more than Arshot, this building will be built right and to last.

Possible Update

Andy Mills makes things happen, I'm taking this project a lot more seriously now that he's on board.  Also I trust his guidance overall a lot more than Arshot, this building will be built right and to last.

So this means that Arshot is out? I hope so. Any news?

Possible Update

So this means that Arshot is out? I hope so. Any news?

No, sadly. Arshot will be/is the principal developer but Elford will be managing the construction (if it ever happens) and the commercial leasing.

Updates regarding the project ... I've done some asking around and while basically nobody knows anything more than the next (usually not a great sign), I was told that basically Arshot badly wants an anchor office tenant before moving forward, and that hasn't happened. I have been told there have been discussions, but nothing is concrete.

As for the site itself, I did some strolling around this weekend and realized that the staging space and construction trailer for the LC projects is no longer on site. To me, this doesn't mean much good or bad. The LC projects are still under construction so the space is needed, while Arshot could have kicked them off to start site work for Millennial, a more likely reason is that the LC found cheaper or on-site space to use. However, I decided to stroll up to High and State and watch the LED marquee on the Heartland offices for a few and to my delight, a new Millennial Tower leasing opportunity ad was displaying. While none of this means anything is starting soon, ad space is expensive (even if its your own) and to me that shows thats things still may be happening behind the scenes.

That's all I got.

I was walking around downtown yesterday and decided to check out some of the construction progress of a few buildings when I discovered this has been added along the Front & Rich intersection...

5F1DDC82-A16D-41BD-AC4B-B4E5161F3A6E.jpeg

1993AC36-7D6C-494E-969C-9CC09BA982B2.thumb.jpeg.0c23bc1b83f6920d34ba37b989465a18.jpeg

I saw one of the other posters said they noticed the LC construction trailers had been removed and I also noticed that the lot no longer offers monthly parking passes. I'm taking this as a good thing. Progress! 

Edited by DevolsDance
  • Like 3