Jump to content
Guest OCtoCincy

Cincinnati: Downtown: The Blonde (Eighth & Main)

Recommended Posts

I'm really excited to see how this turns out with the building not having much parking/any at all really. If it fills up quickly, I bet they build the second one quickly and perhaps expand to other areas. Could really set off a bit of a boom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IAGuy39 said:

I'm really excited to see how this turns out with the building not having much parking/any at all really. If it fills up quickly, I bet they build the second one quickly and perhaps expand to other areas. Could really set off a bit of a boom.

I hope the second one starts soon after the first one is completed. Sure it all depends on how many units they can rent out. Hopefully the Joseph’s do something with that parking lot across the street in the next few years, I highly doubt it though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With this being another Senhauser/Neyer project, I wonder if we are going to get a really interesting facade material like they used on 8th and Sycamore. There was no indication from those renderings that they would be using that color shift panel.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

Do they still have plans for the second tower or did that project get shelved?

I believe that the plans are still in the work but more than likely depends on how well these units rent out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2019 at 5:31 PM, Chas Wiederhold said:

With this being another Senhauser/Neyer project, I wonder if we are going to get a really interesting facade material like they used on 8th and Sycamore. There was no indication from those renderings that they would be using that color shift panel.

If I recall, the rendering of the second building (just north of 8th) had a similar design/style as the one they're building now (just south of 8th)... so I doubt it would look like the 8th and Sycamore facade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe if this one rents really well and quickly, they could even increase the height or possibly footprint of the building just to the North.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jwulsin said:

If I recall, the rendering of the second building (just north of 8th) had a similar design/style as the one they're building now (just south of 8th)... so I doubt it would look like the 8th and Sycamore facade. 

 

I think he means maybe the whites and grays shown in the current renderings will be a unique white & gray material that looks way more amazing in reality. Kinda like we all were shown those pinkish renderings of the last building but in reality it was the flip flop panels. Maybe the grey here is a brushed metal that sparcles in the sun or something.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, IAGuy39 said:

Maybe if this one rents really well and quickly, they could even increase the height or possibly footprint of the building just to the North.

 

For sure, the second tower will have its design informed by how well the first tower does.

 

1 minute ago, SleepyLeroy said:

I think he means maybe the whites and grays shown in the current renderings will be a unique white & gray material that looks way more amazing in reality. Kinda like we all were shown those pinkish renderings of the last building but in reality it was the flip flop panels. Maybe the grey here is a brushed metal that sparcles in the sun or something.

 

Ahh... Makes sense. Back in March of 2016, when the two towers were first proposed (as condos), the HCB packet had this grainy rendering... Since then, the south tower's design has been changed quite a bit, but I think the overall goal will still be to have the two towers relate to each other visually:

image.png.0f27ed45833dd46fa39456075f1dae7f.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jwulsin said:

If I recall, the rendering of the second building (just north of 8th) had a similar design/style as the one they're building now (just south of 8th)... so I doubt it would look like the 8th and Sycamore facade. 

 

I was trying to suggest that the rendering of 8th and Sycamore did not indicate the color shift, yet we got the color shift. The rendering of 8th and Main shows it as some nondescript white material, and maybe it will be something exceptional like the colorshift... just white-ish. And I'm not saying it will be colorshift, but maybe it will have a different unique texture or effect.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, taestell said:

Fun fact: the Eighth & Sycamore building uses a "dusty rose" KolorShift coating.

 

From the "Not enough parking on Court St" Collection

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know why but I am really nerded out about this development. Reasons:

 

1.) See how it rents out itself with no parking

 

2.) See how this translates to the next building but not only that, future buildings as I am sure other developers are watching this one closely

 

3.) I am excited to see if this and the second building could also help with more redevelopment of Main Street in the CBD.

 

4.) Along with point 2, this could also maybe help with redevelopment of Main and Central Parkway in regards to low parking mins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^Great pictures.

 

Despite a couple big parking lots, that section of downtown is a very pleasant mix of old and new buildings and has seen a good amount of investment.

 

All we need now is the Fortune 500 headquarters on the Denison Hotel site... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only wish this building could have also taken up the parking lot next to/behind it.  Hopefully this place leases up quickly and shows that you don't need to build parking with every new residential building. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Cincy513 said:

I only wish this building could have also taken up the parking lot next to/behind it.  Hopefully this place leases up quickly and shows that you don't need to build parking with every new residential building. 

Honestly, I kind of like that its smaller. I feel like every new development nowadays are these massive, entire block buildings. Its a nice change of pace. Like you said, hopefully it kicks off the new trend of no parking in buildings. Either way its exciting!

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does any one know if they are moving forward with developing the lot across the street? I’ve checked cagis but haven’t seen any postings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, lobanio0 said:

Does any one know if they are moving forward with developing the lot across the street? I’ve checked cagis but haven’t seen any postings. 

I am assuming they are waiting to see how these apartments rent out before moving forward with a second tower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It likely will be wait-and-see until they get a good reading on how in-demand these are.  Hopefully they do well, because other developers will also take a look at micro-apt and no parking if this does well.  A project like this is the best way to address rising rental rates in city cores all over the US.

 

It is so refreshing to see a new, decently tall building without a parking garage under it.

Edited by 10albersa
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I’ve been riding by the site daily, a couple weeks ago the north lot put up a sign employee parking only.  It’s mainly been construction workers using the lot. Today though they stared storing steel rebar.  I know it’s for the site next door, but it seems promising it’ll lead to the next development moving quickly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heading south on 71 before the tunnel you can see the tower cranes have been up for a while. In my mind I was wondering if you'd be able to see the top of this building over the others...lo and behold you can now see the building from this angle! Nice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whats the overall background of this developer? 

 

Curious as to what motivated this developer to pursue a development (high density, almost no dedicated parking structure or lot) like this in Cincinnati of all places? Obviously i'm ecstatic this is happening, and hopes it leases well, but why can't we have more developers like this one have the same mindset and willingness towards development of dense residential in the urban core? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, troeros said:

Whats the overall background of this developer? 

 

Curious as to what motivated this developer to pursue a development (high density, almost no dedicated parking structure or lot) like this in Cincinnati of all places? Obviously i'm ecstatic this is happening, and hopes it leases well, but why can't we have more developers like this one have the same mindset and willingness towards development of dense residential in the urban core? 

 

Good question. I would guess that they believe it will work well (pretty obvious with the investment they are making!), but secondly on other developers, believe that they may be playing wait and see how this one does. That is what I am most excited about, if this does really well, it may touch off some more developments by other developers in downtown with low dedicated parking!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, troeros said:

Whats the overall background of this developer? 

 

Curious as to what motivated this developer to pursue a development (high density, almost no dedicated parking structure or lot) like this in Cincinnati of all places? Obviously i'm ecstatic this is happening, and hopes it leases well, but why can't we have more developers like this one have the same mindset and willingness towards development of dense residential in the urban core? 

 

I speculate that there is so much excess parking now that Encore has been built they can get away with just leasing monthly spaces in adjacent lots and garages for most of the units. Remember we have over 42,000 parking spaces in the CBD. I don't know how many exactly are within a 5 minute walk from 8th and Main but with Encore and Court and Walnut plus some of the other garages, the number is easily around 1500-2000 spaces.


“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In fact It’s quite the opposite, there is not enough parking in the CBD during the weekday. At least in that area every lot is always full, and the street parking is often full as well, perhaps a result of vacancy rates in the surrounding apartments being extremely low. 
 

That area is picking up quite a bit. From Cheapside to Taqueria Mercado down to Government square, it’s quite a lively area of the CBD. Given the new restaurants, Main Street retail, and the low vacancy rates I mentioned, I wouldn’t be surprised if they did start construction on the second tower soon after completing the first. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, troeros said:

Whats the overall background of this developer? 

 

Curious as to what motivated this developer to pursue a development (high density, almost no dedicated parking structure or lot) like this in Cincinnati of all places? Obviously i'm ecstatic this is happening, and hopes it leases well, but why can't we have more developers like this one have the same mindset and willingness towards development of dense residential in the urban core? 

 

This project was originally proposed as a condo tower and was going to be developed by Terrex and Rick Greiwe. At some point it was determined that the project would not work as condos and it was changed to apartments. The developers currently involved in the project are North American Properties and NorthPointe Group, I believe. The condo tower was going to have parking (about 1 space per unit) but it was removed when it was changed to apartments.

 

I think the developers know that people are smart, if they want to live downtown and bring their car with them, they can buy a spot in one of the many lots or garages located nearby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Pdrome513 said:

In fact It’s quite the opposite, there is not enough parking in the CBD during the weekday. At least in that area every lot is always full, and the street parking is often full as well, perhaps a result of vacancy rates in the surrounding apartments being extremely low. 

 

I find it hard to believe that all of the garages downtown are full on a typical weekday. Of course a lot of people are willing to pay a premium to park in the garage closest to their office building, but there has got to be a lot of parking available at The Banks or at some of the garages on the periphery of downtown.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, taestell said:

there has got to be a lot of parking available at The Banks or at some of the garages on the periphery of downtown.


JACK Casino lot is far from being full on weekdays. Not exactly a prime location, but it's very close to where I work and many of my co-workers have passes there. 

Edited by Largue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything near the courthouse is swamped until just before lunchtime, then it starts to thin out.  Of course it's all nearly empty by 6 PM. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have worked downtown since 2004.  I have parked in a variety of lots/garages.  Only on rare occasion are any of the garages full.  There is ample parking downtown.  Anyone who says there isn't really means, "There aren't enough cheap surface parking spaces one block from my building".   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JoeHarmon said:

I have worked downtown since 2004.  I have parked in a variety of lots/garages.  Only on rare occasion are any of the garages full.  There is ample parking downtown.  Anyone who says there isn't really means, "There aren't enough cheap surface parking spaces one block from my building".   

 

But where exactly?  Like I said, the courthouse area fills up completely (garages and lots are closed for much of the morning except to monthly pass holders).  Same with the Gateway garage.  It could be totally different at East 4th Street or near City Hall.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't the new Court and Walnut garage serve the courthouse and county administration building pretty well? I can't imagine that it's getting full already.

 

And what's going on with that parking lot on Lockport? I saw it was getting dug up for something...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, taestell said:

Doesn't the new Court and Walnut garage serve the courthouse and county administration building pretty well? I can't imagine that it's getting full already.

 

And what's going on with that parking lot on Lockport? I saw it was getting dug up for something...

 

You would think, but it may also be partly taken up by construction workers too.  

 

Lockport doesn't exist anymore, the city re-signed it as Eggleston.  Anyway, there used to be a gas station at that spot, so they're digging out the old tanks.  

Edited by jjakucyk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...