Jump to content
Guest OCtoCincy

Cincinnati: Downtown: Eighth & Main Redevelopment

Recommended Posts

Living downtown/OTR has been critical for me not owning a car for the past 9 years. I pray for some more Zipcars to be added to the Cincinnati fleet (and I've stated it in every survey Zipcar has me fill out). I'd also like to see Car2go. It was not successful in Columbus but I like to think that I would use it so much that it would be successful in Cincinnati.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure what the few parking spaces at Eighth & Main will be used for... probably deliveries and leasing office visitors, mostly. But it would be smart of them to offer 1 or 2 of those spots to Zipcar so residents would have a carsharing option right on premises.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DEPACincy said:

 

Currently live downtown and this is what I do. I drive my car a couple of times per month, usually to go to Kroger. It is parked in a garage that is a 10 minute walk from my apartment. 

 

It's good to hear that urban habits are forming in Cincinnati, I'm certainly sure you aren't the only one. And lets be honest, Downtown has no shortage of parking to support these expected habits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So there will be a brief period of time when both the Court & Walnut and Eighth & Main tower cranes are in the skyline. They should be visible from this perspective (Bellevue Hill Park):

 

41849861834_d947cc45ef_h.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, taestell said:

So there will be a brief period of time when both the Court & Walnut and Eighth & Main tower cranes are in the skyline. They should be visible from this perspective (Bellevue Hill Park):

 

41849861834_d947cc45ef_h.jpg

What about 4 and Race? Will those be visible 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crane going up. Didn’t seem as tall as the building is supposed to be. Walked by maybe half and hour later and it seemed they were getting ready to install the arm.

340553EF-B444-4801-996B-67D2D4781D66.jpeg

D962233F-42DD-48F8-9C2E-31BAE4D71097.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, taestell said:

It's a lil bb crane. Not sure I'll be able to find a vantage point where you can see all three cranes in the skyline.

 I was looking yesterday, they all are on the shorter side so at different view points they are blocked by existing buildings. From Mt. Adams you can see 8th and Main and Central/Walnut project cranes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, taestell said:

It's a lil bb crane. Not sure I'll be able to find a vantage point where you can see all three cranes in the skyline.

 

Drone!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Rabbit Hash said:

Re: The crane looking short. Is it possible that they jack it up along the way?

It’s possible but I don’t know why they wouldn’t just put it to the full height. The building I believe is 170-180 ft tall. So around the height of the second national bank building a block up on Main. 

Edited by Ucgrad2015
Error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

May try to get up to Bellevue hill park and snap some photos as well as in Mt Adams to see if you can notice this crane from those points. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Ucgrad2015 said:

May try to get up to Bellevue hill park and snap some photos as well as in Mt Adams to see if you can notice this crane from those points. 

You can see the crane nicely from monastery and baum also at the top near the old celestial overlook. The new celestial is nearing completion, hopefully. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really excited to see how this turns out with the building not having much parking/any at all really. If it fills up quickly, I bet they build the second one quickly and perhaps expand to other areas. Could really set off a bit of a boom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IAGuy39 said:

I'm really excited to see how this turns out with the building not having much parking/any at all really. If it fills up quickly, I bet they build the second one quickly and perhaps expand to other areas. Could really set off a bit of a boom.

I hope the second one starts soon after the first one is completed. Sure it all depends on how many units they can rent out. Hopefully the Joseph’s do something with that parking lot across the street in the next few years, I highly doubt it though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With this being another Senhauser/Neyer project, I wonder if we are going to get a really interesting facade material like they used on 8th and Sycamore. There was no indication from those renderings that they would be using that color shift panel.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

Do they still have plans for the second tower or did that project get shelved?

I believe that the plans are still in the work but more than likely depends on how well these units rent out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2019 at 5:31 PM, Chas Wiederhold said:

With this being another Senhauser/Neyer project, I wonder if we are going to get a really interesting facade material like they used on 8th and Sycamore. There was no indication from those renderings that they would be using that color shift panel.

If I recall, the rendering of the second building (just north of 8th) had a similar design/style as the one they're building now (just south of 8th)... so I doubt it would look like the 8th and Sycamore facade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe if this one rents really well and quickly, they could even increase the height or possibly footprint of the building just to the North.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jwulsin said:

If I recall, the rendering of the second building (just north of 8th) had a similar design/style as the one they're building now (just south of 8th)... so I doubt it would look like the 8th and Sycamore facade. 

 

I think he means maybe the whites and grays shown in the current renderings will be a unique white & gray material that looks way more amazing in reality. Kinda like we all were shown those pinkish renderings of the last building but in reality it was the flip flop panels. Maybe the grey here is a brushed metal that sparcles in the sun or something.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, IAGuy39 said:

Maybe if this one rents really well and quickly, they could even increase the height or possibly footprint of the building just to the North.

 

For sure, the second tower will have its design informed by how well the first tower does.

 

1 minute ago, SleepyLeroy said:

I think he means maybe the whites and grays shown in the current renderings will be a unique white & gray material that looks way more amazing in reality. Kinda like we all were shown those pinkish renderings of the last building but in reality it was the flip flop panels. Maybe the grey here is a brushed metal that sparcles in the sun or something.

 

Ahh... Makes sense. Back in March of 2016, when the two towers were first proposed (as condos), the HCB packet had this grainy rendering... Since then, the south tower's design has been changed quite a bit, but I think the overall goal will still be to have the two towers relate to each other visually:

image.png.0f27ed45833dd46fa39456075f1dae7f.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jwulsin said:

If I recall, the rendering of the second building (just north of 8th) had a similar design/style as the one they're building now (just south of 8th)... so I doubt it would look like the 8th and Sycamore facade. 

 

I was trying to suggest that the rendering of 8th and Sycamore did not indicate the color shift, yet we got the color shift. The rendering of 8th and Main shows it as some nondescript white material, and maybe it will be something exceptional like the colorshift... just white-ish. And I'm not saying it will be colorshift, but maybe it will have a different unique texture or effect.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...