Sign in to follow this  
Guest KJP

Voting

If Ohio wants to require photo IDs in order to vote, it needs to offer citizens the ability to obtain a valid photo ID free of charge. Otherwise it would be requiring citizens to spend money in order to vote, which is a poll tax.

I’ve said this repeatedly in my right leaning circles, it’s pretty obvious when you think of it.

This headline is deliberately misleading.  This is voter registration fraud (a form of election fraud), not voter fraud.  I'm shocked that conservative news outlets continue to get this wrong.

If Ohio wants to require photo IDs in order to vote, it needs to offer citizens the ability to obtain a valid photo ID free of charge. Otherwise it would be requiring citizens to spend money in order to vote, which is a poll tax.

I’ve said this repeatedly in my right leaning circles, it’s pretty obvious when you think of it.

What about background documents needed to obtain a photo I.D.?  Birth Certificate?  SS Card?  Shouldn't those be free as well?

That's a good question. I don't know the answer but it exposes the underlying problem with requiring a photo I.D. to vote. The 15th, 19th, 24th, and 26th amendments to the U.S. Constitution establish, respectively:

• The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.
  • The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.
  • The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.
  • The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.

So we have four amendments that explain various ways that the right to vote "shall not be denied". And as far as I'm aware, there are no state or federal laws that require all citizens to obtain a photo ID. So how can we deny someone the right to vote for choosing not to get a photo ID, which is optional?

That would sorta be like saying "you have the right to free speech as long as you have a photo ID" or "you can bear arms as long as you have a photo ID" ... yes I know that's not a perfect analogy for various reasons.

A Washington Post article on voter fraud.

Voter fraud oughta be a crime

By Robert Knight

ANALYSIS/OPINION:

Joseph Stalin is credited with observing that, “It’s not the people who vote that count, it’s the people who count the votes.”

Over the last two decades the left has been changing both the rules of our election process and America’s demographics to suit their political agenda.

A perfect example is Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe’s brazen attempt to get more than 200,000 convicted felons onto the state’s voter rolls in time for the last election. Undaunted after his slapdown by the state supreme court, the governor recently vetoed six common-sense election integrity bills sent to his desk.....

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/apr/23/voter-fraud-oughta-be-a-crime/

the governor recently vetoed six common-sense election integrity bills sent to his desk.....

I love when anyone claims some controversial bill is "common-sense". Also, why shouldn't convicts get to vote after they have served their time and are otherwise free?

the governor recently vetoed six common-sense election integrity bills sent to his desk.....

I love when anyone claims some controversial bill is "common-sense". Also, why shouldn't convicts get to vote after they have served their time and are otherwise free?

Any time someone tells you they have a "common sense" solution to a complex problem, they're lying.

Some more racist GOP voter suppression laws have been struck down.

Supreme Court Effectively Strikes Down 2 Congressional Districts In North Carolina

The Supreme Court has effectively struck down two North Carolina congressional districts, saying that the state relied too heavily on race in drawing them.

"A State may not use race as the predominant factor in drawing district lines unless it has a compelling reason," Justice Elena Kagan wrote in the court's opinion. "In this case, a three-judge District Court ruled that North Carolina officials violated that bar when they created two districts whose voting-age populations were majority black." The Supreme Court affirmed that ruling.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/05/22/529503045/supreme-court-effectively-strikes-down-2-congressional-districts-in-north-caroli

map-nc-districts-300_custom-197b863801c7835e698875dc92d61235069de451-s800-c85.png

Man, I thought Ohio had some wonky gerrymandering going on, but those districts are even somehow more ridiculous.

"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett 

I believe the 12th is basically the I-85 corridor between Charlotte and the Piedmont Triad.  If you own a home near the highway (i.e. low real estate value = more poor people), you were put in that district. 

Studies have shown voter ID laws to unfairly suppress minority votes.  Once again, you've wasted my time with a pointless video of pointlessness.

Because, racism....

In nearly every other advanced democracy, citizens are automatically registered to vote. Why not in America? https://t.co/yPewVXrMVC

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

Wisconsin’s Voter-ID Law Suppressed 200,000 Votes in 2016 (Trump Won by 22,748)

A new study shows how voter-ID laws decreased turnout among African-American and Democratic voters.

https://www.thenation.com/article/wisconsins-voter-id-law-suppressed-200000-votes-trump-won-by-23000/

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

Wisconsin’s Voter-ID Law Suppressed 200,000 Votes in 2016 (Trump Won by 22,748)

A new study shows how voter-ID laws decreased turnout among African-American and Democratic voters.

https://www.thenation.com/article/wisconsins-voter-id-law-suppressed-200000-votes-trump-won-by-23000/

In a lot of ways, this says more about the communities whose votes were "suppressed" than those insisting on voter legality validation.

But.......Ohio needs to stop charging for state issued IDs that aren't drivers licenses if this is going to be the case, and probably stop making it tougher to get a license if you have one.    Otherwise, someone is going to sue under the "poll tax" premise and might win.

Considering our abysmally low rate of voter participation, we should be making it easier to vote.  But when one party has unpopular ideas, they must prevent people from voting rather than updating to a more reasonable platform.

More racist GOP voting suppression. This time in Indiana.

Republicans limiting early voting in Marion County, letting it bloom in suburbs

State and local Republicans have expanded early voting in GOP-dominated areas and restricted it in Democratic areas, an IndyStar investigation has found.

From 2008 to 2016, GOP officials expanded early voting stations in Republican dominated Hamilton County, IndyStar's analysis found, and decreased them in the state's biggest Democratic hotbed, Marion County.

Most telling, Hamilton County saw a 63 percent increase in absentee voting from 2008 to 2016, while Marion County saw a 26 percent decline. ..Marion County, which tends to vote Democratic, and has a large African-American population.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2017/08/10/silencing-vote-data-shows-unequal-barrier-indiana-polls/435450001/

The constitution allows the legislatures of each state to choose their electors as they see fit. The electors are chosen on "election day." 

I am a big proponent of early voting because I like to get my ballot delivered to my house where I can research the candidates of lessor known races.  Also, I am sometimes working 12 - 14 days depending on my client load and it is not always easy to get the polls.  It makes it easier and increases turnout. 

I think early voting should be abolished everywhere. Doesn't the Constitution call for voting to take place on only one day? You know, Election Day. How did this BS ever get started in the first place?

I think it should be easier for people to cast their vote, not harder.

so why don't we just have "early" voting 365 days out of the year, for every conceivable public office? There have to be some kind of rules to ensure the integrity of the vote, and allowing people to vote willy-nilly over the course of many weeks allows for too much room for error and potential for fraud, whereas if everyone got together on one day in a narrow time frame, monitoring the process for irregularities and tabulating the results would be more accurate.

I think early voting should be abolished everywhere. Doesn't the Constitution call for voting to take place on only one day? You know, Election Day. How did this BS ever get started in the first place?

I think it should be easier for people to cast their vote, not harder.

the system seemed to work okay for hundreds of years. Everyone knew the first Tuesday of November was the day to vote and planned accordingly. What's so hard about that?

The system worked great when only white land-owning men voted.  Is that your argument?  Because that's who voted for hundreds of years.

No one is suggesting we have voting 365 days a year. That is a straw man argument.

I vote early in Hamilton County ever year. I walk into the Board of Elections a few days before Election Day and cast my vote. To me, having an actual BOE employee give me my ballot and explain it to me, and then depositing it into a locked box in the BOE facility, seems much more secure and well monitored than voting on Election Day and having a bunch of volunteers running the show in a variety of schools, churches, and other random places around the city.

Do you also think that absentee ballots should be eliminated? Anyone that's out of the state or out of the country must return to their home precinct to cast their vote on Election Day?

No one is suggesting we have voting 365 days a year. That is a straw man argument.

I vote early in Hamilton County ever year. I walk into the Board of Elections a few days before Election Day and cast my vote. To me, having an actual BOE employee give me my ballot and explain it to me, and then depositing it into a locked box in the BOE facility, seems much more secure and well monitored than voting on Election Day and having a bunch of volunteers running the show in a variety of schools, churches, and other random places around the city.

Do you also think that absentee ballots should be eliminated? Anyone that's out of the state or out of the country must return to their home precinct to cast their vote on Election Day?

wow, the Board of Elections people in Hamilton Co. can actually do that? In New York they're basically functionally illiterate. When did I suggest that absentee voting should be eliminated? That's a legitimate use for people living outside the country or disabled people, not for people who can get off of their duff and function normally on a day-to-day basis. Why don't we have online voting? You'll never have to leave the house!

So, if you're okay with absentee ballots still existing, then what's to prevent everyone from requesting an absentee ballot and mailing them in? The arguments you have against early voting are the exact same arguments that could be made against absentee ballots.

We don't have online voting because most people aren't comfortable with a system of voting that doesn't have a paper trail.

Early voting is essentially a no-excuse absentee voting system.  It is regulated to a specific number of days.  I think it is better to spread out the amount of days that people can vote so that there isn't long lines and commotion on election day.

^^yeah, why not? let's have 130 million people filling out paper ballots and flooding the post office with them (and you just know everyone will get them in by the deadline. or should we eliminate that?). And by the time all the votes are counted it will be the following first Tuesday in November. Good idea. You should call your Congressional representative immediately and get the ball rolling.

^^uh, no, believe it or not people of all races, religions and ethnic backgrounds were fully eligible and voting well before the early voting trend started in recent years. But then again, you knew that. Try again.

early voting has existed in some from since the early days of the union. However, what we currently know as early voting had a resurgence in 1980.  African-Americans in the the south did not have full voting rights until 1965 and women didn't get voting rights until 1920.  So these groups weren't voting with no problems for hundreds of years.  It is you that need to check history and maybe your privilege too.

^^yeah, why not? let's have 130 million people filling out paper ballots and flooding the post office with them (and you just know everyone will get them in by the deadline. or should we eliminate that?). And by the time all the votes are counted it will be the following first Tuesday in November. Good idea. You should call your Congressional representative immediately and get the ball rolling.

EVD always takes it to a new level of absurdity.

^^uh, no, believe it or not people of all races, religions and ethnic backgrounds were fully eligible and voting well before the early voting trend started in recent years. But then again, you knew that. Try again.

early voting has existen in some from since the early days of the union. However, what we currently know as early voting had a resurgence in 1980.  African-Americans in the the south did not have full voting rights until 1965 and women didn't get voting rights until 1920.  So these groups weren't voting with no problems for hundreds of years.  It is you that need to check history and maybe your privilege too.

You just revealed to me you don't even read my posts. I said all people were eligible to vote "well before the early voting trend started...," which yes, includes 1965 and 1920!! But maybe you're using a different timeline than the rest of us. Sad :-(

You had said that voting was fine for 100s of years.  I guess black people voting in 4 elections is a well established trend to you.  Go read a book.  Learn something. Quit being a bitter clinger.

So are you not okay with absentee ballots now?

You had said that voting was fine for 100s of years.  I guess black people voting in 4 elections is a well established trend to you.  Go read a book.  Learn something. Quit being a bitter clinger.

Okay, this is where reading comprehension and focusing on what you're reading (context) are of high importance. I never said "voting was fine for hundreds of years," as you put it. I was addressing the process of having one day to vote, not the inequities in the system when I said "the system seemed to work okay for hundreds of years." But thanks again for your always troll-y comments. Again, never change.

So are you not okay with absentee ballots now?

you did read my comment from oh, say 40 minutes ago, right? I guess not--

When did I suggest that absentee voting should be eliminated? That's a legitimate use for people living outside the country or disabled people, not for people who can get off of their duff and function normally on a day-to-day basis.

It doesn't work that way. Most states allow anyone to request an absentee ballot for any reason. Hamilton County's site even says:

No more waiting in line at the polls!

All Hamilton County voters have the opportunity to vote from the convenience of their own homes.

It's not restricted to people who are disabled and/or out of the country. Nor should it be.

It doesn't work that way. Most states allow anyone to request an absentee ballot for any reason. Hamilton County's site even says:

No more waiting in line at the polls!

All Hamilton County voters have the opportunity to vote from the convenience of their own homes.

It's not restricted to people who are disabled and/or out of the country. Nor should it be.

honestly I don't think it works that way in NY. Anyone who lives at home who is physically able to get to the polls cannot vote absentee. I'll have to check that.

A fifth of black adults in Florida aren't allowed to vote. And this man kept adding new obstacles as governor. https://t.co/6fEqT75laj