Sign in to follow this  
Guest New Orleans Lady

Graeter's Ice Cream and a Sunday Afternoon

I tasted my very first Graeter's Ice Cream Cone today.  I got a craving for ice cream and decided to try the "local" favorite.  You've all bragged about it so much so I figured I needed to try it.  (I'm not a Cold Stone Creamery kind of girl anyway). 

I walked into the Centerville location (next to City BBQ) with a snobby attitude like I wasn't going to enjoy it that much.  It's only ice cream, right? 

Well, the taste surpassed my expectations.  I got a single scoop of the "Buckeye Blitz" - of course selecting it due to the name, trying to soak up ever bit of the local culture. 

One word, two syllables sum up my impression of this flavor - Dee-Lish!  :-P  I feel right at home with buckeye flavor since I love Peanut Butter and Chocolate combined. 

Since it was a gorgeous afternoon, even at 32 degrees in Centerville, I drove with one hand on the steering wheel and the other half-holding, half-licking my waffle cone to a nearby park I spotted weeks earlier.  I found the park bench next to a pond full of ducks.  The ducks were carefully eyeing my chocolate dip cone.  They looked hungry so one lucky fella got the last two bites of my cone which I threw among the crowd of them. 

Okay, so I only sat in the park for about 20 minutes since it was 32 degrees outside, but it was still a 20-minute period of pure bliss.  When I climbed back into my SUV, I glanced in the rearview mirror and noticed two spots of ice cream remains on my nose and the corner of my mouth (not kidding!)  I was no longer 27 years old.... I became ten again!  :clap:

Oh how I can't wait for spring time to get here so I can enjoy more afternoons like this and for hours (not just 20 minutes).

That might be the NICEST "trip report" we've ever had on this forum.

And yes, Graeter's is excellent.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Amaretto Crunch was my favorite so I was very sad when they got rid of it.  Currently I love Toffee Chip.  I didn't believe ColDay when I moved here that Graeters was the best Ice Cream in the country but I soon confessed that I never tasted Ice Cream this good.  I frequent the one in Hyde Park more than any other location.

Hey Monte, Toffee Chip was my second choice today.  I thought long and hard about it but went with the buckeye blitz.  I'll try the toffee flavor next time.

ColDayMan, thanks for your kind words on my "trip report."  I am a poet at heart and an English major.  But hey - let me know if I ever get too fluffy or hormonal for you guys. 

This forum NEEDS more "fluff."

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

My favorite Graeter's flavor is actually just vanilla...there's nothing in the world like a truly wonderful vanilla milkshake, and man, they've got that down...

this discussion made me go to graeters and get the black raspberry chip.  its so good.  thank God Columbus has Graeters or I would have been forced to transfer to UC. 

While in college, I, and a few others from the Cincy area, kept bragging to one of my friends in our church choir about how awesome Graeter's was.  She heard about it for 2 years and never had it.  So before my last mass before I graduated, one of our friends went down to Cincy and picked up 3 pints of Greater's.  So there we were in church, an hour before mass, instead of rehearsing, we sat there eating Greater's icecream.  I don't think I could think of a better way to spend one of my last days at college than to enjoy some great icecream with some great people.

I tried the Black Raspberry Chip flavor over the weekend.  You are right...it is damn good!

I don't consider myself to be a raspberry fan but the combination of it with chocolate chips in Graeters flavor was mmm, mmm good.

Will make it a point to try a different new flavor each time I go....