Guest ryanlammi

Cincinnati: Hyde Park: Development and News

Holy hell. That rendering is awful. There are hotels out in mason and blue ash that look less suburban than that. I feel like a nimby but I really hope this doesnt happen. 

14 hours ago, seaswan said:

I feel like a nimby

There's no reason to feel like a NIMBY over reasonable problems like the design and demand/fit.  The actual NIMBYs will get this chopped from 7 floors to 5 and it will pass.

There's no reason for a hotel there. And there's no reason this shouldn't interact with a pedestrian-hostile intersection that could be so much better if the buildings came up to the street.  Just throw the parking behind the hotel, why is this so hard?

There is, however, plenty of reason to add density to a neighborhood that is the most sought-after in the city, especially with an eventual commuter trail and plenty of retail next door at Rookwood. The old proposal wasn't ruining the charm of the neighborhood, that area is a mess.

Edited by 10albersa

Luxury homes proposed along Wasson Way encounter speed bump

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/09/17/luxury-homes-proposed-along-wasson-way-encounter.html?iana=hpmvp_cinci_news_headline

I read the article and I couldn't find details about the speed bump... This is the most critical comment: "The Hyde Park Neighborhood Council opposes the subdivision, French noted, but the Cincinnati Planning Commission approved the development’s concept on Sept. 6. Meanwhile, the community council for Oakley, which borders Hyde Park at Wasson Road, gave its blessing."

Anyone know the details of the HPNC's opposition? This project sounds great, IMO.

Based off what I have read most of the opposition is *traffic* and *green space*... mind you we are talking about six houses on land that is currently vacant and is not used for green space.

7 minutes ago, wjh2 said:

Based off what I have read most of the opposition is *traffic* and *green space*... mind you we are talking about six houses on land that is currently vacant and is not used for green space.

Yes because 15-20 more people living In That area is going to cause massive backups. Just NIMBYs being NIMBYs.

Edited by Ucgrad2015
Added additional sentence

Galaxy brain level NIMBY would oppose it because it prevents using the space as a station platform for a potential Wasson Way LRT. 🤣🤣

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

3 minutes ago, seaswan said:

I saw one complaint about storm sewers being at max capacity already...they really have nothing left to form a real argument with. 

They might as well just say "Cincinnati's full."

5 hours ago, seaswan said:

I saw one complaint about storm sewers being at max capacity already...they really have nothing left to form a real argument with. 

Seemingly trivial stuff like this can kill projects. I've heard horror stories of people filling out MSD's "Request for Availability of Sewer Service" and getting a response not unlike "we're full." At that point, you're screwed.

2 hours ago, Ram23 said:

Seemingly trivial stuff like this can kill projects. I've heard horror stories of people filling out MSD's "Request for Availability of Sewer Service" and getting a response not unlike "we're full." At that point, you're screwed.

Is that still happening?  It was a big deal 8-12 years ago but I haven't run into it recently.  

14 hours ago, jjakucyk said:

Is that still happening?  It was a big deal 8-12 years ago but I haven't run into it recently.  

I've only heard one example in the past couple of years, and it was further outside the city in a township area on the west side of Hamilton County.

Developer can now only build 4 houses along the Wasson Way trail, not 6:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/12/09/an-arrest-warrant-a-bike-trail-and-four-houses-the.html?iana=hpmvp_cinci_news_headline

These NIMBY Hyde Parkers are hilarious.  Let's go nuts over 4 weird-looking houses occupied by fellow trust funders but who cares about the ugly-arse strip mall directly across the street?  Or the industrial buildings another block down Wasson?  

• Like 1

They should direct their anger at the hotel that is going in near the Madison and Edwards intersection. 

There's going to be 100+ more flushing toilets going into their already over-capacity wastewater system, there will be hundreds of cars worth of traffic daily with this hotel, and all the tourists are going to ruin the trail that runs right behind it. They're probably tearing down a few trees too, that's literally illegal!

Oh, wait... a hotel won't add to the housing stock so they can keep their houses at artificially high values.  Now I get it

Edited by 10albersa

Look at what is quite literally within sight of these evil infill houses...not only do we have some nondescript circa-1955 industrial buildings, we also have a suspicious van parked along the curb and a six-wheeled hatchback.  The horror! 

hydepark-1.png

hydepark-2.png

• Haha 3

Developer French's infil houses will have incredible walkability. All shopping, walk into Ault Park, the Wasson Bike Trail. On the bus line. Medical 500 feet away. Is it all about location, location, location? I count 62 restaurants one could easily walk to. Plus three grocery stores. Plus a post office and hardware store. Plus, plus, plus.

Edited by 1400 Sycamore

I think the nature of people and people like this on these review boards is they are able to do what they want when they want, so they start doing stuff to prove they are right and it goes way beyond societal norms, like someone trying to have him arrested for saying he was an architect. It's like what? Over a couple of houses?

"If the lot split is approved, it would create a new precedent, opening the door wide open for more developers to come forward to request lot splits and variances on other non-buildable properties sprinkled around our neighborhood," wrote Karen Robertson, a Hyde Park resident, to the planning department.

Heaven forbid we realize we have archaic zoning that requires 25(!!!!) feet between the front of the property line & the front of the house. 

Residents said they liked the trees currently on the parcel today.

The trees & woods that are always littered with trash? Those trees?

Residents suggested it become a pocket park instead.

At this point lets just make everything a trail or a park, we don't actually need people to live near anything.