Sign in to follow this  
Guest KJP

Cleveland: University Circle: UC3 Development

Here's a sign of progress....

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2016/11182016/index.php

Ordinance No. 1358-16(Ward 9/Councilmember Conwell): Changing the Use, Area and Height Districts and establishing an Urban Core Overlay District between Chester Avenue and Euclid Avenue west of Martin Luther King, Jr., Drive and east of East 105th Street.

"Your community is your commodity, my commodity & everyone's commodity." -- borrowing on silly slogans in Cleveland's Ohio City

I'm a little late with this, but Midwest Development Partners continues to acquire property for its UC3 development. On March 31, it recorded five property transfers including the former District 3 police station (also involves taking the rounded-off turn lane from Chester Avenue eastbound to Stokes/107th southbound) as well as the park land and two roadways between Stokes/107th and Stearns (under a funky company name: UC3 STOKES LAND LLC). This was all city-owned land.

The MLK Branch of the Cleveland Public Library remains a library-owned property as of today, according to county records.

"Your community is your commodity, my commodity & everyone's commodity." -- borrowing on silly slogans in Cleveland's Ohio City

Probably not a project sponsored by Midwest Development Partners but it's definitely surrounded by their proposed UC3 development.....

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/brd/detailDR.php?ID=2570&CASE=EC%202017-025

FENWAY MANOR APARTMENTS RENOVATION

Project Information

Euclid Corridor Case #  EC 2017-025

Address: 1986 Stokes Blvd.

Company: City Architecture

BTW, this is the only building within one block of the Euclid-East 105th intersection that survived the total demolition of Cleveland's "second downtown." Perhaps UC3 and One University Circle across the street can be that second downtown again.

A great idea to help subsidize the construction costs of this development. Use the new library for a building foundation...

Cleveland Public Library launches global design competition for MLK Branch in University Circle (photos)

Updated on October 16, 2017 at 9:45 AM

Posted on October 16, 2017 at 5:50 AM

By Steven Litt, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Architects, listen up: The Cleveland Public Library in collaboration with the Cleveland Foundation, is holding a global competition to choose the designer for the new Martin Luther King Jr. Library Branch in University Circle.

Initial responses to the request for qualifications are due Nov. 27, and the library hopes to sign a contract with the winning firm by June, and to begin construction in 2019. Full details of competition phases including the initial "request for qualifications" will be available via the library's website Monday.

MORE:http://www.cleveland.com/architecture/index.ssf/2017/10/cleveland_public_library_launc.html

-c3c3f872db4f5226.png.6bec365baf973bf88a3a24b9d6af1d94.png

-3a149fda6cc00bf9.png.d4f09d34661d81421c1207204d4550d6.png

-7dcc5c4938a065ba.png.3db02c9ed76a02ee2c87dd12b8b432dd.png

This transfer sounds like either a paper transfer (David Orleans is listed as the principal of both the seller and the buyer) or, more likely given the price involved, a sign that David Orleans is buying this building on his own, separate from the multiple partners who comprised Fenway Manor Ltd (the Orleans Company, Arthur E. Orlean, and First March Realty Corp.). Either way, this currently is the tallest building within the footprint of the proposed Circle Square development....

10651 EUCLID AVE

CLEVELAND

Sales Date 12/28/2017

Amount $3,375,000

Buyer FENWAY PRESERVATION ASSOCIATES LLC

Seller FENWAY MANOR LTD.

Deed type LIMITED WA

Land value $125,700

Building value $2,488,900

Total value $2,614,600

Parcel 119-20-016

Property Apartments 40 or more units (elevator)

BTW, this is the only building within one block of the Euclid-East 105th intersection that survived the total demolition of Cleveland's "second downtown." Perhaps UC3 and One University Circle across the street can be that second downtown again.

What do you mean by "second downtown" exactly?

From those massing studies it looks like they want to do something about that Chester-Euclid-MLK intersection. Right now it's a mess that cuts off  the neighborhood and contains a bunch of wasted green space. Can I dream about seeing that turned into a nice big traffic circle one day?

From those massing studies it looks like they want to do something about that Chester-Euclid-MLK intersection. Right now it's a mess that cuts off  the neighborhood and contains a bunch of wasted green space. Can I dream about seeing that turned into a nice big traffic circle one day?

Beleive he is talking about Doan's Corners

https://clevelandhistorical.org/items/show/49?tour=43&index=7

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/105th_and_Euclid

Some movement on the design competition for the library portion along Euclid:

http://www.cleveland.com/architecture/index.ssf/2018/01/post_4.html

Cleveland Public Library names nine semifinalists in MLK Branch design competition

CLEVELAND, Ohio - The Cleveland Public Library has whittled the number of teams competing to design its new $10 million Martin Luther King Jr. Branch in University Circle from 31 entrants to nine semifinalists, and plans to announce three finalists on Feb. 15. The library released the semifinalists' names to The Plain Dealer on Tuesday. A request for qualifications began in October; entrants had to meet a Nov. 27 deadline to propose teams. The nine teams remaining include firms from New York, Chicago, Boston and in one case, Paris, France, that are paired with Cleveland-based firms.

1. SO-IL, Brooklyn, N.Y., and JKURTZ Architects, Cleveland, with: Brightspot Strategy, programming strategy; GPD Group, engineering; Tec Studio, lighting, information technology; Nesnadny + Schwartz, wayfinding consultant. 

2. Condition Architecture, Brooklyn, N.Y., and Hasenstab Architects, Akron.

3. John Ronan Architects, Chicago, with: Michael Boucher, landscape architecture; Shen Milsom & Wilke, acoustics; dbHMS, engineers, sustainability.

4. Bialosky + Partners, Cleveland, and Vines Architecture, Raleigh, NC, with: WeShouldDoItAll, environmental graphics.

5. MASS Design Group, Boston MA, and LDA Architects, Cleveland, with: Sarah Lewis, Anisfield-Wolf exhibition consultant. (Cleveland architect Chris Maurer  is listed as part of the MASS team).

6. Clement Blanchet Architecture, Paris, France, and City Architecture, Cleveland, with: WSP Cleveland, engineering; Boulevard Studios, landscape architecture; Ducks Sceno,  scenography and multimedia.

Wow, UC is actually becoming a new downtown. I mean gentrification aside I think they manage to hold their own pretty well. Some really interesting architecture vert and low-rise, an insane health network, a prestigious university, and the walk-ability there just towers over most big cities. Public transportation just hit it on the bullseye here, rapids, health line down Euclid, and there's just access everywhere. Just a lot of things just made the perfect soup, and now it's ready to be served.

Some movement on the design competition for the library portion along Euclid:

http://www.cleveland.com/architecture/index.ssf/2018/01/post_4.html

Cleveland Public Library names nine semifinalists in MLK Branch design competition

CLEVELAND, Ohio - The Cleveland Public Library has whittled the number of teams competing to design its new $10 million Martin Luther King Jr. Branch in University Circle from 31 entrants to nine semifinalists, and plans to announce three finalists on Feb. 15. The library released the semifinalists' names to The Plain Dealer on Tuesday. A request for qualifications began in October; entrants had to meet a Nov. 27 deadline to propose teams. The nine teams remaining include firms from New York, Chicago, Boston and in one case, Paris, France, that are paired with Cleveland-based firms.

1. SO-IL, Brooklyn, N.Y., and JKURTZ Architects, Cleveland, with: Brightspot Strategy, programming strategy; GPD Group, engineering; Tec Studio, lighting, information technology; Nesnadny + Schwartz, wayfinding consultant. 

2. Condition Architecture, Brooklyn, N.Y., and Hasenstab Architects, Akron.

3. John Ronan Architects, Chicago, with: Michael Boucher, landscape architecture; Shen Milsom & Wilke, acoustics; dbHMS, engineers, sustainability.

4. Bialosky + Partners, Cleveland, and Vines Architecture, Raleigh, NC, with: WeShouldDoItAll, environmental graphics.

5. MASS Design Group, Boston MA, and LDA Architects, Cleveland, with: Sarah Lewis, Anisfield-Wolf exhibition consultant. (Cleveland architect Chris Maurer  is listed as part of the MASS team).

6. Clement Blanchet Architecture, Paris, France, and City Architecture, Cleveland, with: WSP Cleveland, engineering; Boulevard Studios, landscape architecture; Ducks Sceno,  scenography and multimedia.

Wouldn't it be better to hold this design competition after the building it will connect to is fleshed out?

Beleive he is talking about Doan's Corners

https://clevelandhistorical.org/items/show/49?tour=43&index=7

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/105th_and_Euclid

Maybe the famous intersection should be renamed "Willis Corners".

.@Cleveland_PL chooses 3 finalists in MLK branch design competition: @SolidObjectives w/ JKURTZ Architects; @MASSDesignLab w/ LDA Architects; & @Bialosky_Arch w/ @VINE_Architects:

https://t.co/dZtbzTIqaU

.@Cleveland_PL to unveil trio of competing designs for new MLK library branch, first building in large mixed-use project planned at University Circle’s edge. via @steven_litt https://t.co/J3qbTeil76

Tonight @Cleveland_PL MLK branch 3 world class design teams present their vision for a new 21st Century library inspired by Dr. King's legacy of social justice. 5to7 PM. Get there! @MASSDesignLab @Bialosky_Arch @SolidObjectives @cleveLANDstudio

As these UC Square plans come together and Upper Chester continues to develop, I get more and more pissed at the Clinic for what they've done to the SW and SE corner of Chester and 105th. I get that they don't want to develop stuff themselves that would make adjacent areas decent places to live and walk through, but to actively thwart that effort with that suburban format drug store, and even more so with that freaking power substation is pretty obnoxious. That power substation in particular is ridiculous.

I am underwhelmed by all of the design concepts.  I also wish the design process entailed what the surrounding architectural elements will be. Th two should be designed to compliment one another. 

The Bialosky rendering makes it look like Charlotte's Web, which was always a good read. I think that's a good look on a library. I'm mostly in love with Mass' rendering, as it's colorful and celebrates culture right as you walk up to it. I'm not a fan of white/bland architecture, as white is kind of hard to maintain and keep in decent shape.

I was initially taken by the colorful appeal of the Mass & LDA proposal; but, upon consideration, I think it would look garish and dated in not very many years. Maybe a tamer version ...

^I'm torn because it is unique and intriguing, but screams "instantly dated!" at the same time.

i wonder why there are only three proposals?

of the three i would choose the mass plan. its colorful, thoughtful and modern.

the bialosky plan is most disappointing, as is typical with that firm.

the other one from some brooklyn startup is also underwhelming.

^they whittled the initial submissions down to three for the competition and each group was given a stipend (I believe funded by the Cleveland Foundation) to come up with a proposal.

The Mass plan looks very 1960s but that may be intentional.  Not clear why they're so against the mixed use concept.  Litt calls that a "hybrid" as if we're splicing alien genes.

The Mass plan looks very 1960s but that may be intentional.  Not clear why they're so against the mixed use concept.  Litt calls that a "hybrid" as if we're splicing alien genes.

Bronze is very much back in style.

Bronze is very much back in style.

I'm with Litt. The Mass plan does look dated, but in a good way imho.

Renovations underway to Fenway Apartments on Euclid Avenue at Stokes Boulevard in University Circle.

33128402_10209883641082549_8946068444051144704_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeHInY46FD03Clpg0lg4_OcwbjLpAj2KDvovBDTyNgCPVNiTY2leWZnI4ySVF9b78nbzfLt1J2-fv-Web1IkURnT5ZA7XMNP3Ak-YOjBdDop0A&oh=264528bd2750ce6df72e3360a17c5f7c&oe=5BC45D93

13 hours ago, Dougal said:

Bullard's puff piece about Centric Apartments buries the lede in the final two paragraphs - Steve Rubin of Midwest Development Partners says Centric was a just gap filler while they waited for the ramp-up of seven-building Circle City Center at Stokes and Chester.

https://www.crainscleveland.com/stan-bullard-blog/centric-adds-university-circle-residential-options

One could argue this project is already under way, as Orlean Co. is a partner with Midwest and Orlean is undertaking a $40 million renovation of Fenway Manor apartments. The new MLK Library, which will be the ground floor of the first new apartment building in Circle Square (formerly UC3), is finalizing its funding package. Last I'd heard, the library and Midwest want to move forward with construction in summer 2019.

Edited by KJP
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Cleveland said:

Hi Tall of a building will the library building be? 

Probably only a single story, but with a high ceiling like what was shown in a recent rendering (below). Final design for the apartment building above isn't yet known, but could be about 8-10 stories. I would like to see it taller but it's not my money/risk. 😉

University+Circle-CircleSquare-MLK_SO-IL

^The library is only a couple of stories.  It will be topped by an apartment building which is still in the design phase (the library and apartment architects are suppose to be coordinating with each other.) 

KJP beat me to it.  Heard a little ping while I was typing my post and I just knew it had to be him.

Edited by Htsguy
  • Like 1

Why? I don't post very often... 😮

• Haha 1

So it looks like the relocated library (with a Euclid front door) topped by the apartment building is going to be Phase One of this project.  The old library building cannot be demolished and built on until the new library is completed (I would imagine that is two or three years down the road even if they start in 2019) and I would guess that the old police site is going to be tackled in conjunction with the old library site since they abut one another.

My question is why can't they just get the ball rolling now and have Phase I be the parking lot north of Chester next to Judson?  I really want this project jump started.  Also, any news regarding the proposed condo building between Judson and Park Lane Villa along the new greenway?

It looks like we could be seeing design concepts for the apartment tower at next design review.

Library Lofts 
Seeking Conceptual Approval
North side of Euclid between E 105 & E 107
University Circle District
Paul Volpe, Master Plan Consultant
David Craun, Bialosky Cleveland

• Like 2

Finally.  I keep wondering when this was going to jump start.

This is another one of those transformative developments.  It has the potential to help connect the Clinic to the rest of University Circle (too bad they just turned E 105th into a freeway-that doesn't help).

Edited by Htsguy