Sign in to follow this  
ryanlammi

FC Cincinnati Discussion

Well, those colors are still lame.  I also hate how U.S. teams are using FC, as if we call it football and not soccer.

Exactly.  We don't expect U.S. hockey teams to use Canadian lingo, spellings, etc.  It's a ridiculous, clumsy stab at "authenticity" with the U.S. soccer stuff that turns tons of people off.  When I played soccer as a kid it was a "field".  Then suddenly it became a "pitch".  WTF is that?  The same thing dogs cycling.  Americans don't like using French and English terms for things (it's a pack, not a "peloton"...they're saddle bags, not "panniers"...a bike has gars and a shifter, not a "deraillur").  Maybe some of the popularity of mountain biking in the U.S. versus road biking is that we invited the bikes and the sport, and so we use our terminology and wear clothes with colors and of a character that is normal here.  Road biking clothes look absolutely ridiculous in the United States, and then they make it even worse when people insist on calling cycling clothes "kit". 

Well, those colors are still lame.  I also hate how U.S. teams are using FC, as if we call it football and not soccer.

It's lamer that the Bengals copied the Browns. And Pittsburgh is the only city that uses the same color scheme for all sports.

These colors look great imho. Let this franchise build its own identity.

I think it's kind of cool that the Bengals copied the Browns given the situation around Paul Brown at the time.  Imho, between the name, the lion/griffon and the colors, this franchise is pretty generic.

The Bengals did not copy The Browns.  The orange is not the same shade of orange and there is no brown in The Bengals' color scheme.  Besides, The Bengals were named for an old Cincinnati team called The Bengals, who in turn named themselves after the zoo's tiger from Bangladesh. 

It's lamer that the Bengals copied the Browns. And Pittsburgh is the only city that uses the same color scheme for all sports.

These colors look great imho. Let this franchise build its own identity.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the colors. I think they look fine. But I would appreciate something that had ties to the city itself (hence my suggestion of using the city's flag as the color scheme).

We are too far out to actually coordinate all of our sports teams IMO. Also, can you imagine if The Crew used scarlet and gray as their color scheme? No one would have bought Crew gear and everyone would be wearing OSU gear. It would be a little embarrassing. They might have thought the same thing about using red and white to coordinate with the Reds or black and orange to coordinate with the Bengals.

The Bengals did not copy The Browns.  The orange is not the same shade of orange and there is no brown in The Bengals' color scheme.  Besides, The Bengals were named for an old Cincinnati team called The Bengals, who in turn named themselves after the zoo's tiger from Bangladesh. 

umm, the Bengals did copy the Browns. When  Paul Brown got fired He owned the Equipment, so when he created the Bengals it was the same uniforms and helmets, but he added the word Bengals on the helmets.   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_Bengals

From Wiki

When the team debuted in 1968, the Bengals' uniforms were modeled after the Cleveland Browns. When Paul Brown was fired by Art Modell, Brown still owned the equipment used by Cleveland. So after the firing, Paul Brown packed up all his equipment, which he then used for his new team in Cincinnati. The Cleveland Browns' team colors were brown, orange, and white, then they changed to white, black, and orange, and their helmets were solid orange with a white dorsal stripe over the crest.

A team called the "Bengals" after the tiger that shares the same name has every logical reason to use orange, though. It's not so much a copy as it is something that made perfect sense. What's weird is that a team called the "Browns" uses the color orange as their primary color, instead of brown.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the colors. I think they look fine. But I would appreciate something that had ties to the city itself (hence my suggestion of using the city's flag as the color scheme).

We are too far out to actually coordinate all of our sports teams IMO. Also, can you imagine if The Crew used scarlet and gray as their color scheme? No one would have bought Crew gear and everyone would be wearing OSU gear. It would be a little embarrassing. They might have thought the same thing about using red and white to coordinate with the Reds or black and orange to coordinate with the Bengals.

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with the colors either.  We are saying the same thing, that we would have preferred that the new team used something that had ties to the city itself, which is why I suggested red and white, or, to change it a bit, claret and white.  It's not a weird desire to have a team that builds its brand on the name "Cincinnati" should have some brand similarity, right?  That's why I brought up the colors; maybe a crown instead of a lion/griffon?

Columbus' city colors are red and yellow (as far as I can tell from their flag.  They have some sky blue as well on their city crest).  The Columbus Crew aren't putting OSU as part of their branding, whereas they do use the name of the City of Columbus.

More like a drunk woman stumbling out of Neon's.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

A lot has happened for the Supporter's Group I started as well as for the club itself. Among those things: membership for Die Innenstadt can now be accepted online and the full FCC Schedule has been released!

You can check out the latest here!

We just unveiled the scarf design for Die Innenstadt! The only way to get it is by becoming a member ($20).

CadU5JNW8AAz6bH.jpg:large

You can read about it here: http://www.dieinnenstadt.com/news/2016/2/5/the-inaugural-season-scarf

You can purchase a membership online here: https://squareup.com/store/die-innenstadt

You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

The FC Cincinnati subreddit is here: www.reddit.com/r/fccincinnati

They should call the team the Cincinnati Lammis.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

If anyone is considering becoming a member of Die Innenstadt, now is the time!

We are going to give out a pair of tickets to two randomly selected members at 5pm today and Monday. We need to place our scarf order by early next week to get them in in time, so this is a little incentive to do it now, rather than wait so we have a better idea of how many people are going to be members and so we don't under order our scarves and have to buy more.

Memberships are $20 and come with the scarf above!

www.squareup.com/store/die-innenstadt

Been a while since any update was provided on this. The first match resulted in a 1-0 loss in the 94th minute in Charleston, SC.

For a recap on the day, check out this blog post here. For a match recap by the club, check out this post on the FCC site.

Die Innenstadt is hosting a watch party for every away match at rhinehaus. Come on out for the next match on Sunday, April 3 at 3pm for the next game against Bethlehem Steel. Check out the Facebook event here.

FC Cincinnati draws huge crowd for home opener

697c1395*750xx2000-1125-0-104.jpg

[move]Note: Page three of the slideshow shows a certain moderator[/move]

FC Cincinnati’s first-ever home game probably couldn’t have gone much better if it was written as a movie script.

Cincinnati’s new professional soccer team drew a United Soccer League season-high 14,658 fans to Nippert Stadium on the University of Cincinnati campus, the team won its home opener 2-1 and Sean Okoli’s first-ever FC Cincinnati goal in a home game ended up on ESPN’s SportsCenter as one of the top 10 plays of the day.

More below:

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2016/04/11/can-fc-cincinnati-repeat-its-league-leading-crowd.html

FC Cincinnati set the USL season record attendance for their first home match of the year, then shattered it this past weekend. They had 14,658 against Charlotte, then set the USL's regular season attendance record with 20,497. The Previous record high was 20,231 set by Sacramento in 2014 and then tied again that year (sell out crowds).

You can read a recap of the game here, in which FC Cincinnati lost 3-2 to Louisville City.

Traffic was absolutely ridiculous before and after this game.  The crowd was half the size of a typical UC football game, but I didn't see any police directing traffic anywhere and there were no bans on street parking on McMillan, Calhoun, or elsewhere.  They usually set all of the lights on McMillan green from UC over to the I-71 north ramp in Walnut Hills but I got stuck in it with all lanes jammed as far as the eye could see. 

There were cops on Jefferson letting us cross before and after the game, but traffic was pretty much at a standstill after, so we could have crossed the street anyway.

I wonder if traffic is worse than after football game because college football games last so long that many people leave before the end of the game, which allows traffic to be spread out a bit more. Because soccer games are pretty much guaranteed to finish in 2 hours, a higher percentage will stay until the end.

^That's possible. Also, despite the larger attendance at UC games, almost all of the students walk to campus or live on campus, so they aren't taking cars. Not a lot of students have been going to the FCC matches despite the $5 entry.

There were absolutely zero police directing traffic on Clifton Ave. or McMillan/Calhoun or from what I could see at Vine & McMillan.  Also there were no streets blocked off -- for example, during UC football games, they block off Scioto, Market, and W. Clifton between Calhoun and McMillan.  I think Ohio stays open but I can't remember for sure. 

The past two weeks there was a Deputy Sheriff controlling the light at McMillan & Vine. However he was obstructing pedestrian traffic...

"It's just fate, as usual, keeping its bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton

Traffic woes aside, those are a couple of very good attendances. Long may it continue.  Compares very well to Columbus Crew and MLS as a whole.

I wish Cleveland had a team at that level...

And they reckon that the last thing she saw in her life was
Sting, singing on the roof of the Barbican

http://www.fccincinnati.com/nippert-stadium-parking-update/

In the two home matches that FC Cincinnati has hosted so far, a combined 35,000 turned out to cheer on the Orange & Blue for the first. Obviously, the club is delighted with not only the size of the crowd, but also the way the city has embraced the team. But the size of those crowds definitely exposed some areas that needed additional focus to ensure the thousands of fans that show up to cheer on FCC have a great match day experience.

One of those areas that required further attention: parking.

We’ve heard from fans over the phone, on social media and in the streets that they experienced long lines getting into the garages on campus. In particular, the garages to the South of Nippert Stadium seemed to be where queues formed the fastest.

And with University of Cincinnati commencement taking place at Fifth Third Arena prior to Saturday’s kickoff against Wilmington, there could be even more traffic to deal with.

Well we're deep into page 4 of this discussion topic and we have yet to see a player or coach's name mentioned.  That's in line with all of the other online folderol I've been seeing -- a 100% obsession with getting a MLS team.  Seem like people are way more into having cake than eating it. 

^Going to the games has been so much fun so far, that frankly I'd be totally fine staying in the USL forever if we could maintain ~20k average attendance. That's a huge IF (which probably isn't true, because I think you're right that lots of the excitement is around the potential for moving up)... but I care much less about the league than the actual fan experience.

I would like to see US Soccer adopt the <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Promotion_and_relegation">promotion/relegation system</a> that most other countries use, where teams have the possibility of moving up/down a league, depending on their performance. That makes every game count and you avoid the situation you see in much of American sports where mediocre teams decide to "not contend", accepting an abysmal record with no ramifications (other than declining attendance). Or worse, in leagues like the NBA and NFL where the worst teams get REWARDED with draft picks. That system encourages mediocre teams to compete for last place. In a promotion/relegation system, those teams would move down a league.

The quality of play in the USL is definitely not on par with more competitive leagues, but just like college basketball can be more fun to watch than the NBA, it's not all about the absolute talent of the players. Creating a fan experience that fills a stadium is much more important to me.

There's plenty of discussion going on about players, I'm just not personally posting much of anything here. It's not my primary source of communication. Yes, there are people who are more interested in getting to MLS than actually watching this team play, but there's also plenty of discussion about the actual team on the reddit and at games. Just check out any blog www.cincinnatisoccertalk.com www.sixthdaysoccer.com www.scratchingthepitch.com etc. and you will find actual discussion of players. Your friends on Facebook who just found out about the team are going through the steps of becoming more knowledgeable. The first step is realizing where we are in the soccer pyramid (3rd tier) and how that differs from MLS. Then the natural question is could we become an MLS team.

After the two record breaking crowds, that was an obvious jump for a lot of people, but if you look at the week since, the most recent reddit post about MLS is the 18th most recent post. People aren't lingering on it and they are actually talking about the team.

I respect what Columbo does for the Blue Jackets and Crew discussions with his recaps (and I read them) but I just am not going to be doing that for FC Cincinnati.

I'll admit I more interested in how FC Cincy expands. I'm not jumping on the bandwagon just yet. Seems they want Nippert to be their home long term. MLS doesn't require grass fields? I thought there's been some concern re: health issues with turf that has uses rubber beads.

FC Cincy's deal with UC: More Nippert changes

"...upcoming renovation calls for expanding the field to 115 yards long and 75 yards wide.

...plans to permanently remove a "minimum number of rows and lower level seats"

...club's contract calls for it to pay UC $5,000 per game and an additional $20,000 for the season to use the stadium, locker room, weight room and other athletic facilities for practices and game preparation.

...previously, there had been buzz about the possibility of FC Cincinnati paying for a new scoreboard and sound system ...not part of the contract."

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2016/04/27/fc-cincys-deal-uc-more-nippert-changes/83597078/