Sign in to follow this  
Guest seicer

Columbus: Downtown: 80 on the Commons

I've often wondered if the garage could be removed to the first column line south of Rich St. allowing for a narrow development parcel similar to 250 S. High. You could work around the vehicular and pedestrian garage entries. Whatever is built would have awesome Columbus Commons views.

I've often wondered if the garage could be removed to the first column line south of Rich St. allowing for a narrow development parcel similar to 250 S. High. You could work around the vehicular and pedestrian garage entries. Whatever is built would have awesome Columbus Commons views.

My guess is that something like this is "technically" possible, however the financial and political will absolutely does not exist. IIRC the garage contains an insane amount of spots (3500-ish?), knowing that, my guess is that nobody with CDDC or the city is even slightly willing to take on the pr nightmare of removing downtown structure parking. I just wish that if the plan is to keep it, that someone has a plan to update/rehab/even clean up the eyesore it is. Its massive and so much lost real estate, the absolute least someone could do its paint the damn thing. How can we make something happen? lol

What's kind of ironic about the garage is that back in the mid-1980s when it was being planned, there were competing proposals to build up to 20-story mix-used towers on top of it.  They were never built due to the expense of required sprinklers.  I'm not sure if the garage ended up being built with possible upward development in mind.  Now, we'd all prefer to see that topside development or the garage be replaced entirely, the latter of which seems really unlikely. 

That would be an interesting proposal and would love at least the 3rd side get built on or a horseshoe shape to add addition

viewing space to the commons for concerts.

I'm looking for a new place and called Gravity because I thought it would be cool to live there and be close to work Downtown. Despite it looking very finished on the exterior it is going to be ready for occupancy in March so they directed me to 80 on the Commons which has had people living in it for months. I didn't think it was occupied yet because I eat at the food trucks in Columbus Commons every so often and it looks like there's still a lot of work left to do on the building. Apparently not. 

I went over to look at the units and took some pictures. They're very expensive, $1,200 for 490 SQ FT studios, $1,450+ for the smaller 1 bedrooms. I don't want to know what they're charging for 2 bedrooms. I don't think I'll end up moving because it's a hassle, however if I was I'd pick this building. Out of all the new buildings I've seen in Columbus after looking at places before moving here and during the Urban Living tour, this is far and beyond the most well built and solid feeling new building in the city. The units feel sound proof and air tight when you close the door and there weren't any visible signs of short cuts and sloppiness in the finishes. 

31609961648_d3484a1c84_b.jpg

31609963378_b577e88480_b.jpg

44758425594_fa062f56a2_b.jpg

43666557130_e860417b9e_b.jpg

30543493637_1700c6f273_b.jpg

44758894164_c3882462eb_b.jpg

44758894114_d8118c5260_b.jpg

44758892434_bcf2fa3c83_b.jpg

44758859514_eaeb8c7192_b.jpg

31609966478_4c7c00848e_b.jpg

That bus terminal needs to go. 

31609965958_915b5f3acd_b.jpg

Some views from 250 S High:

30543721057_d01a79d652_b.jpg

44570017845_a3cb81cdab_b.jpg

44570017705_4bfeed851b_b.jpg

44758425244_0d836282c4_b.jpg

• Like 3

19 hours ago, cityscapes said:

They're very expensive, $1,200 for 490 SQ FT studios, $1,450+ for the smaller 1 bedrooms. I don't want to know what they're charging for 2 bedrooms.

As a Seattlite, this comment made me miss home 😐    1655/mo for my current studio which is not luxury at all.  ugh

On 10/22/2018 at 8:31 PM, cbussoccer said:

If only the outside of the building looked as nice as the inside....

It seems as if their builds have progressively improved over time with 600 Goodale being the worst, damn that building has aged horribly.

Personally, my only gripe with 80 on the Commons when I toured was the balconies, they are so uncomfortable to be on the way they jutt out from the structure. You kind of feel uncomfortable/exposed on them and that is unfortunate to how great 250s balconies are integrated and I'm sure feel.

Does anyone know if the "80" sculpture is still happening or if the 3rd street side is getting any actual curb appeal? 

Just now, DevolsDance said:

It seems as if their builds have progressively improved over time with 600 Goodale being the worst, damn that building has aged horribly.

Personally, my only gripe with 80 on the Commons when I toured was the balconies, they are so uncomfortable to be on the way they jutt out from the structure. You kind of feel uncomfortable/exposed on them and that is unfortunate to how great 250s balconies are integrated and I'm sure feel.

Does anyone know if the "80" sculpture is still happening or if the 3rd street side is getting any actual curb appeal? 

I actually think 250 is a pretty decent looking building and I think they did a good job with an awkward plot of land. 80 Commons just looks so bad though. The only half decent portion is the portion that faces the park. 

That's an interesting point about the balconies. They definitely look awkward from a distance. 

I haven't been past their Gravity project in at least a month, but last time I drove by that, it was actually looking pretty good.