Sign in to follow this  
Guest seicer

Columbus: Downtown: 80 on the Commons

Article: http://www.columbusunderground.com/17-story-mixed-use-building-announced-for-columbus-commons

"The building will house 20,000 square feet of ground floor retail, 125,000 square feet of Class A office space on five floors, and 11 stories containing 170 apartment and condo units."

It is a $90 million project and is set to open in 2017-18.

I just came over here to post this!

A 17-story building sounds great. We are starting to see more height in these projects. I like the rendering too.

This looks great. This combined with 250 High will bring a nice bit of modern design to that part of Columbus.

I'm really hoping our similarly scaled 4th and Race project here in Cincy is of this level of design. This looks fantastic and will be a great asset for Columbus Commons.

A little more from the Dispatch:

High-rise to complete Columbus Commons

By Steve Wartenberg, The Columbus Dispatch

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 5:00 AM

The final piece for completing development around Columbus Commons is in place, as city officials and two developers are expected to announce plans today for a 17-story, mixed-use building on the southeast corner of the popular park.  Officials say this will be an important piece for the continued revitalization of Downtown.

The Daimler Group and Kaufman Development will build Two25 Commons, a $90 million project similar to their nearby 12-story 250 High project under construction.  Two25 will feature retail space on the first floor, office space on the next five floors and 170 residential units on the top 11 floors.

“We started with 9 acres and we’ve now completed our development around the permanent 6 acres” of the park, said Guy Worley, CEO of Capitol South, which owns and operates Columbus Commons.

MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2015/03/25/last-park-high-rise-to-celebrate-good-views.html

Location map:

16900741966_4d2afbcbf4_o_d.jpg

The building looks great, although I am disappointed to see another skywalk.

The comments in the Dispatch article by city leaders make me want to scream, however. The rush to build was the problem (with Highpoint). And I can name many better sites in Ohio; at least much hotter sites.

I was initially concerned by the loss of decent historic buildings combined with the development Carter delivered. That said, this area is finally attaining a higher and better use. Kudos to the local development teams for delivering first-class redevelopment on the City Center site.

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Wow! What a great project for this site. I'm glad to see the apparent success of 250 High is spurring more development from the same team so quickly.

I especially liked this quote in the Dispatch article,

The demand for Downtown office space is on the rise, said Bob White Jr., president of Daimler.

“We’ve had a few office users we couldn’t accommodate at 250 High, either because of the amount of space they needed or the time frame,” he said.

The plan for 125,000 square feet of office space on five floors could change.

“If one user wanted 400,000 square feet, at this stage we could accommodate them,” White said, adding they could add more floors of office space and extend Two25 higher into the Columbus skyline.

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Wow! What a great project for this site. I'm glad to see the apparent success of 250 High is spurring more development from the same team so quickly.

I especially liked this quote in the Dispatch article,

The demand for Downtown office space is on the rise, said Bob White Jr., president of Daimler.

“We’ve had a few office users we couldn’t accommodate at 250 High, either because of the amount of space they needed or the time frame,” he said.

The plan for 125,000 square feet of office space on five floors could change.

“If one user wanted 400,000 square feet, at this stage we could accommodate them,” White said, adding they could add more floors of office space and extend Two25 higher into the Columbus skyline.

I'd love that of course, but I'm pretty happy with 17-stories. One thing I don't want to see is them downsizing their plans. I hate when something spectacular is proposed and the end product is lackluster. Hopefully these projects will keep popping up in this area of downtown.

One thing that drives me crazy about Columbus, that this development is a brief window to take a crack at, is that the 270 corridor is riddled with easy space. Whenever Columbus puts together an economic development deal, they use that space. Ginther tried to get Bob Evans on 270 for instance, and then attacked them for going to "suburban" New Albany as if it's any different.

I would really, really like to see the city's ED people and the Columbus Partnership try to put a deal together for this 400,000 sf of space. Granted, if Two25 gets any more impressive, we will just have to demolish HighPoint across the street...

One thing that drives me crazy about Columbus, that this development is a brief window to take a crack at, is that the 270 corridor is riddled with easy space. Whenever Columbus puts together an economic development deal, they use that space. Ginther tried to get Bob Evans on 270 for instance, and then attacked them for going to "suburban" New Albany as if it's any different.

I would really, really like to see the city's ED people and the Columbus Partnership try to put a deal together for this 400,000 sf of space. Granted, if Two25 gets any more impressive, we will just have to demolish HighPoint across the street...

We're going to be stuck with HP for a long time to come.  That's why it's so important to get it as best as it can be the first time.  The design of the LC and Two25 projects will only make HP all that much worse.  Carter should've stayed in Atlanta.

Daimler/Kaufman is beginning to complete construction of their nearby 12-story 250 S. High Street project.  And according to Business First's latest report on that project - http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2015/08/07/250-high-project-gets-first-tenant.html - only 16,000 sq. ft. of the available 135,000 sq. ft. of office space in 250 S. High Street remains unleased.  The 120 apartments at 250 S. High Street are still being worked on and have not yet begun leasing.

From that same article:  "As the 250 High building wraps up, Daimler and Kaufman will turn more attention to their 17-story mixed-use tower at Third and Rich streets.  “We’re trying to determine the density of office space and apartments,” said Greg Weber, Daimler leasing agent, of the $90 million Two25 Commons project.  “We’re ramping up the design and anticipate being able to break ground in the second or third quarter of 2016,” he said of the Two25 Commons project."

“We’re trying to determine the density of office space and apartments”

The denser the better IMO. Hopefully a strong demand for the apts and office space in 250 High will encourage them to go even bigger than already announced for Two25.

Modified Columbus Commons project to break ground in September

By: Barbara James, The Columbus Dispatch

January 28, 2016 - 03:44 PM

A mixed-use building seen as the completing piece of Downtown's Columbus Commons park project is expected to break ground in September, with 12 stories planned instead of the 17 stories originally discussed.

Two25 Commons, being developed by the Daimler Group and Kaufman Development in cooperation with Capitol South, is expected to be very similar in size and mix of office, residential and retail space to the team's nearly completed 250 High across the street.

( . . . )

Two25 is in the financing and design stage, Robert White Jr., president of Daimler said, and is expected to be fully completed in fall 2018.  It doesn't yet have any committed tenants, he said, though it could by the time it breaks ground later this year.

MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/blogs/the-bottom-line/2016/01/downtown-development.html

12 stories planned instead of the 17 stories originally discussed

Let the lamentations begin:  http://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/two25-17-story-high-rise-proposed-for-se-columbus-commons/page/7

This needs an emoticon! This does not sound like empathy more sarcasm! Are you making fun of us...? *cries*  I posted that update over there and I admit, I did lament...but I also  noted I was glad the project was moving forward. Look at the comments about it here..hoping for it to go higher, hoping it does not get downsized are mentioned.

In fact, I am going to lament here as well. LAAAAMMMMEEEENNNNTTTTT!!!! *wails and beats and kicks floor with hands and feet*

Imma come over here and lament every time a Columbus project disappoints...so get ready for some serious lamentation. lol Just wait until that property Nationwide just bought on Spring is announced as a 15 floor.....concrete parking garage with NO residential and NO office and NO groundfloor retail. Everyone on this forum will be able to hear the weeping and gnashing of teeth all the way from Cbus.

I need to log off now and get my smelling salts...*now where did I put my aromatics?*

We all care about urban development here and at CU (otherwise we wouldn't be posting).  But the reflexive criticism of almost every project that doesn't meet someone's personal standard has gotten so cliche that even the founder of CU made light of it in this recent post.

I don't see a big difference between 17 and 12. Now this strikes me as the same condo project going up at Neil & Spring.

It's not a bad thing that everything being built in Columbus is around 10 stories. It was a bad thing once upon a time when the only things that got built were between 20 and 40 stories. These scaled-down infill projects are more responsive to their environment and don't require a sea of parking (structured or unstructured) around them. That's the main thing driving this. I'll bet Kaufman and Daimler scaled it down bc there simply isn't any parking available at the Commons Garage anymore.

Columbus needs structured parking to enable more building up. It compressed plans on High Street, it compressed these plans on the Commons, it's a big ordeal anytime something is built in the Short North, and it's going to be a big sticking point on the Wolfe site. This of course is assuming that we'll never change. The cities we're competing with (Cincy, Cleve, Pitt) have good enough transit that will free up space in their garages, allowing developers to keep going without being strangled by the parking issue.

In Columbus we are absolutely reliant on downtown parking in order to keep development going. This is because we lack the foresight to invest in transit like Kansas City, STL, or Minneapolis. The ROI that Mpls has gotten on their light rail is incredible. They aren't worried about parking holding back their development - instead they just reached 40,000 downtown residents, and are headed to around 75,000 by 2025. Mpls is what Columbus could be if we were 10 years in on an investment like that.

We all care about urban development here and at CU (otherwise we wouldn't be posting).  But the reflexive criticism of almost every project that doesn't meet someone's personal standard has gotten so cliche that even the founder of CU made light of it in this recent post.

Yeah it will be ok. At least I get over the disappointment quickly. Someone should remind Walker tho about his laments about the Convention Center...Just sayin'

:P

This at twelve floors is still going to be great. Much better than a dead mall and it will complete the Commons! :)

But the reflexive criticism of almost every project that doesn't meet someone's personal standard has gotten so cliche that even the founder of CU made light of it in this recent post.

I would equally say that Walker's rose-colored glasses approach to nearly everything that happens in Columbus is equally cliche. He spends so much time reminding CU posters why there is a good reason for whatever is happening and why we should be thankful for it. We do have to figure out a better middle ground to create some constructive conversation about development in Columbus, however.

A rendering of the new 12-story design for Two25 has been put up on Kaufman Development's website for the project.

While I have to say I'm disappointed in the height reduction, the new design still looks pretty great IMO, and will definitely be a striking, modern, and very welcome  addition to Downtown.

sA6278h.jpg

Great catch on this updated rendering.  The original design was really good - but this one's even better!  I agree it's a bummer about the height reduction.  But this would still be a stunning addition to Columbus Commons if Kaufman builds this design.

I like the look of the building even with the shorter height. I am disappointed that the developer finds it necessary to build a pedestrian bridge across Rich St. to the existing parking garage.

I like the look of the building even with the shorter height. I am disappointed that the developer finds it necessary to build a pedestrian bridge across Rich St. to the existing parking garage.

Yeah, I hope the Downtown Commission rejects that, but I'm sure the developer will claim it's a necessity and that it won't have an impact on street activity when it obviously will.  Skywalks are so outdated and represent outdated thinking.

I am disappointed that the developer finds it necessary to build a pedestrian bridge across Rich St. to the existing parking garage.

Yeah, I just saw the rendering of the bridge over Rich Street from the two sources linked below.  It is definitely non-optimal:

http://www.columbusunderground.com/two25-commons-bw1

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2016/05/23/first-look-60m-two25-project-at-columbus-commons.html

Yeah, I hope the Downtown Commission rejects that, but I'm sure the developer will claim it's a necessity and that it won't have an impact on street activity when it obviously will.  Skywalks are so outdated and represent outdated thinking.

Well . . . Walker's report from today's Downtown Commission meeting:

Downtown Commission Likes Two25 Commons, Dislikes Elevated Walkway:  http://www.columbusunderground.com/two25-commons-update

Good that the commission pushed back on the bridge. The mid block crossing was installed during the construction of Columbus Commons. Conduits are in place to install a pedestrian operated crossing signal - a lot cheaper than a bridge!

Two25 developers ‘very nervous’ about pedestrian safety at Columbus Commons

two25-downtown-commission-22*750xx5867-3300-581-0.jpg

The final high-rise planned on Columbus Commons park is earning positive feedback for its design, but developers of the Two25 building must resolve one issue.

As expected, Daimler Group Inc. and Kaufman Development faced questions from Downtown Commissioners this week about an elevated pedestrian bridge included in the project. It would connect the 12-story office and residential building with a parking garage south of Rich Street.

More below:

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2016/05/26/two25-developers-very-nervous-about-pedestrian.html

^ What the heck is the speed limit there? In that rendering it looks as if some Formula-1 cars are about to round that corner!

I generally don't like the elevated walkways either, but it really is just a garage connector. No different really than the garage planned for the millenial tower. people are going to go down to their car from the office or apartment/condo and bypass everything(including the lower retail) if they want. This is no different really, except they are going across the street as well.

If it was something where people are carried past three blocks of busy shops and restaurants I could see the problem, but aside from the ugliness of these things, I don't see how it will really impact 'the street' in any real way. It may look like there are fewer people on the street, but those people who would be on the street without the walkway would just be waiting to cross to the garage anyway in this case.

Sometimes I think it is as much the idea of the walkways and what they often represent( less people on the street actually doing things like going into stores, etc. -and the ugliness of them) than what they really are doing. A few people might not stop in the lower level to do something, a few less people waiting to cross a street. It is not like the street being walked over is lined with lively shops and restaurants. If this was Gay street between High and Third then ya, it would be very problematic.

The main problem with this thing (to me)is that these walkways are almost always visually distracting and ugly. But I have to admit if I was one of the workers or residents and it was 5 below with a 30 mph wind blowing or pouring rain, I might appreciate the skyway more.JMHO

*It might have helped their cause(too much speeding traffic/too dangerous) if the rendering actually had a single vehicle on the road rather than the street just 'looking like people drive fast'

I can't imagine wanting to rent or buy a place where I have to go downstairs, cross the street, ride up another elevator or set of stairs to get to my car.... especially if I need to drive most days - which in Columbus a lot of people do need to do. And especially in a place with nasty winters.  I could deal with it - it's not the worst - but it certainly detracts from the desire to live there.  Carrying groceries, babies, kids, moving things... ugh... don't want to have to cross a street in the elements to do this at my place of residence.