Cleveland: Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse (Quicken Loans Arena, Gund Arena)

Guest KJP

• Haha 1

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

10 minutes ago, Klingaling87 said:

I thought (and was hoping) that you were kidding... until I saw the news release. 

SAME. There is a lot of “Q” branding they’re going to need to change. Didn’t they already start putting up QUICK on the building lol? 

Also I find it odd that all of our elected leaders will be there for what sounds like a team/business decision. I find the whole thing odd ??‍♂️

Edited by Enginerd
  • Like 2

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2019/04/cleveland-cavaliers-quicken-loans-arena-to-be-renamed-rocket-mortgage-fieldhouse-sources-say.html
Cleveland Cavaliers’ Quicken Loans Arena to be renamed Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse, sources say

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Quicken Loans Arena is getting a new name. According to multiple sources that spoke with cleveland.com, the name will officially change to Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse during an announcement Tuesday afternoon.

A news release issued by the Cleveland Cavaliers on Monday teased a “major announcement," with officials from the Cavaliers, city of Cleveland and Cuyahoga County all expected to be there for the reveal.

40 minutes ago, MyTwoSense said:

FIELDHOUSE??  I can't wait to hear the reason behind this name/branding change.

real housewives of new york city wtf GIF

Thank you for this blessed gif. I guess we're all going to the FieldHouse from now on. ? Going to the F??

Looks like they were just playing us with the QU going up on the building. 

I don't have a problem with the name change but 'Fieldhouse'  is just kind of clumsy.

RocketArena or The RocketHouse would sound and present itself better.

5 minutes ago, imjustinjk said:

Thank you for this blessed gif. I guess we're all going to the FieldHouse from now on. ? Going to the F??

Can't wait to hear Austin Carr struggle with working that name into his routine  

• Haha 1

Saw this on the Cavs reddit lol - the reaction there is about the same as here:

I was personally hoping for "Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse by Quicken Loans  from Dan Gilbert of Detroit, Michigan, Brought to You by JACK." - Original post

Edited by GISguy
  • Haha 1

So, uh, yeah I do have just one little question though, does the arena have a uh... field that I am unaware of?

Seriously though I hope this is not real. Please do not be real. 

Facepalm.

Edited by DevolsDance

10 minutes ago, cfdwarrior said:

I saw "R-house" this morning...

Now that's someone who is capable of turning lemons into lemonade. Nice job! 

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

Yeah i dont like the name.  Silver lining, if this marketing for rocket mortgage can bring in more revenue for Dan and Farner, perhaps some of the delta between current revenue and 2020 revenue can go back into the team?  Maybe he wont care about spending luxury tax to bring in players and keep his own (cough cough Zion, Sexton, others)

Edited by BelievelandD1

Shiny. Definitely shiny. Definitely. 

• Confused 1

I'm sorry, in the time that I haven't been in Cleveland because i'm in the Air Force;

but what in gods name was the deciding factor in the re-brand?

Was it you Mayor Jackspoon, was it you Danny Boy, or was it "Quicken Owns your life" trying to upscale a satellite company?

Either way we're going to end up not calling it by what it is...

Why don't you just Rocket my mortgage into crippling depression?

Stop trying so hard.

Edited by tastybunns

Pretty sure Mayor Jackson had nothing to do with this rebranding. This happens all the time with stadiums/arenas. I remember Quicken Loans Arena sounding pretty cheesy at first, but it grew on me. People are acting like a guy named "Quicken Loans" was a founding father of Cleveland and we're dishonoring him by renaming the arena Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse. This isn't a big deal in my opinion.

Edited by Sir2geez
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, musky said:

I'm good with "The Rock"

That would go better with the old building prior to the glass facade.

Its going to be weird when the Houston Rockets come to town. They'll feel right at home.

• Like 2

The various fora are making it clear I'm not the only one still calling it Gund Arena.  ?

As I observed, I'd much rather honor the ownership groups that literally saved the Cavaliers (and Indians) from "relocation" than whatever marketing department managed to con accounting into coughing up the money.  We're fortunate in Cleveland that they all had original names, so everyone knows of what we speak.   They're not paying me, so I decline.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, E Rocc said:

We can do a poll as to the preference and watch "Gund Arena" win.  ?

Possible unpopular opinion but I do not call it the Gund, it's the Q. The Cav's never won anything when it was called the Gund, the Q brought us great basketball.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, freefourur said:

Fieldhouse sounds like something they'd have at a college or high school. 

Belongs better in a plains/heartland city (Indianapolis’s Banker’s Life Fieldhouse) than The Forest City. I know the term doesn’t technically have any relation to actual fields, but that doesn’t change my opinion.

Edited by Boxtruffles

"We each pay a fabulous price
  for our visions of paradise."
     - ????, ???????

I had to go to Detroit for the day.  I'm snooping around, but I think the change has to do with Gilberts developments in Detroit.  The area near/around the new Shinola hotel is trying to emulate the feel of East Fourth.  They want to keep the Quicken Loans branding in Detroit and use Rocket in Cleveland and for other Affiliate uses.  This started with the RM rebranding right before the superbowl.

• 2 weeks later...