Guest KJP

Cleveland: Quicken Loans Arena

In 1976, the City of Cleveland issued NINE building permits. NINE. When we start to feel down about the progress of development here vs. other cities, remember how lifeless Cleveland was and how far it's come.

I saw some big crates out next to the Q a couple of days ago and thought it might be some of the new glass ...

20181128_085849.thumb.jpg.33d207346438f42639f2a13cdbebc49e.jpg

And I was right.  This morning I saw them installing the first pieces of the glass!!!  It's looking good!!!

20181205_085728.thumb.jpg.affc4e518b06679b699769478ed57a54.jpg

20181205_085730.thumb.jpg.1115bea87920a732c324926532554a0a.jpg

• Like 5

The curved steel on the corner of Ontario and Huron is pretty cool too, I'll try and get a pic of that next time I walk that way. It's impressive how fast they've been moving installing the glass!

Aren't they're going to shut the Q down again this summer with the plan to have things finished up by the start of next NBA season??

1 hour ago, dar124 said:

Aren't they're going to shut the Q down again this summer with the plan to have things finished up by the start of next NBA season??

Just in time for Zion!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The contrast between the older looking Q and the modern, crisp, clean lines of the glass looks amazing. I initially had my hesitations about this project, but it's coming along fantastically. 

It’s hard to get excited about this project, knowing how much of the cost will be picked up by the city and the county.

Are there any updated projections for the costs, and ticket tax revenue now that playoffs seem unlikely? 

• Like 1

^I believe the original cost estimate was 140 million with the public contribution being 70 mil.  I think the total cost has increased due to extras and is now 185 mil with the Cavs picking up the additional 45 mil.

Edited by Htsguy

I just wish they would do gateway plaza, the part of the Q that faces Progressive Field. When the All-Star game comes they'll be using every inch of the Q and the gateway plaza section looks extremely outdated with that tiny video screen. 

• Like 1

The Q is going to look amazing - it will really give the city an even more “progressive” look in the Gateway district - coupled with the more open look at the baseball park and The Beacon’s eventual overlooking modern shimmer - too say nothing of the experience inside the venue itself.  I think this project is definitely worth every penny, especially considering the many years of NBA and special events to come. 

Edited by CleveFan
  • Like 2

This is from a couple of days ago, but they're starting to put the glass up on the south side of the Q (the side that faces Progressive Field).

20190111_171047.thumb.jpg.4369c48723392a520d82e19d35e1dac1.jpg

The glass facade that hugs the sidewalk will help create a nice walled in corridor look to the street that wasn't there previously with the old building. Hopefully the Nucleus project will do something similar on the other side of the street to compliment the look. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 10:51 PM, punch said:

It’s hard to get excited about this project, knowing how much of the cost will be picked up by the city and the county.

Are there any updated projections for the costs, and ticket tax revenue now that playoffs seem unlikely? 

This is exactly what a bed tax is supposed to be used for.

• Like 4

Final beam in Place. c.com/article/news/local/cleveland/construction-crews-raise-final-beam-at-quicken-loans-arena/95-707b05c0-3c09-4041-a370-b817789e4aa2

• Like 2

Who says we don't have lots of construction cranes downtown. I count six right here!

20190209_125147.jpg

20190209_125125.jpg

• Like 2

In 1976, the City of Cleveland issued NINE building permits. NINE. When we start to feel down about the progress of development here vs. other cities, remember how lifeless Cleveland was and how far it's come.

KJP - Now that's funny.  I may need to pull back on my crane comments given this pic.  I must say that I can't remember Cleveland having this much construction. 

• Like 3

And I see four cranes in the down position, so there! 😛