Guest noozer

Columbus: Downtown: Columbus Crew Arena / Confluence Village

Crew and Nationwide say stadium land deal to close 'by the end of the month'

Hours before Columbus Crew SC officials are due to break ground on a new $300 million Arena District stadium, the team and Nationwide Realty Investors Ltd. are aiming to quell any concerns about the impending sale of the land where the stadium will sit.

The Crew and Nationwide Realty released a joint statement Thursday morning stating the sale will close by the end of the month.

Here's the full statement:

Columbus Crew SC and Nationwide Realty Investors are pleased to share that, as anticipated, all contract contingencies have been waived and the pending purchase of the land will close by the end of the month. Crew SC continues to have full access to the site, and remains on schedule for a summer 2021 opening in the new Arena District stadium.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/10/10/crew-and-nationwide-say-stadium-land-deal-to-close.html

newdowntowncrewstadiumsoutheastplazaaeri

• Thanks 1

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Hopefully NRI will use that 25.7 mil to actually move forward with the development of the many acres of land it owns downtown or in Franklinton rather than continuing to sit on it....

Columbus Crew to pay $25.7M for stadium land

Finally, a sale.

A Columbus Crew SC spokesman said Thursday the team will pay Nationwide Realty Investors Ltd. $25.7 million for the land where the $300 million Arena District soccer stadium will sit.

Thursday morning, hours before the groundbreaking was scheduled to begin, the team and Nationwide announced the long-awaited deal would close "by the end of the month."

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/10/10/columbus-crew-to-pay-25-7m-for-stadium-land.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

56 minutes ago, DevolsDance said:

Well, with a $27M cash infusion, I now absolutely demand/expect NRI give us a tower for Parks Edge III! 

One can dream, right?

Yeah...the lower 12 floors which would have blocked views could mostly face out onto the commons there(east) and then above that great views all around. But is NRI too conservative for this? We shall see. I still expect a brick box on that spot to match the majority of the Arena District(would be happy to be wrong though).

*Or hell, to invest the money into building up some of the surface lots/one story buildings still to the west in the "Arena West" area(between Neil and the tracks)?

Edited by Toddguy

Columbus Crew breaks ground on new $300M Arena District stadium

Thursday’s ceremonial groundbreaking for Columbus Crew SC’s new $300 million Arena District stadium was as much about the team’s once uncertain past as it was about building excitement in the future.

"It has been a long, hard road to get here today,” Dee Haslam, part of the team's new ownership group, told the a crowd of thousands of Crew fans decked out in the team’s signature yellow and black who showed up in the middle of the afternoon at 650 Nationwide Blvd., the future site of the stadium that is now mostly gravel and dirt.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/10/10/slideshow-columbus-crew-breaks-ground-on-new-300m.html

17 hours ago, Toddguy said:

Yeah...the lower 12 floors which would have blocked views could mostly face out onto the commons there(east) and then above that great views all around. But is NRI too conservative for this? We shall see. I still expect a brick box on that spot to match the majority of the Arena District(would be happy to be wrong though).

*Or hell, to invest the money into building up some of the surface lots/one story buildings still to the west in the "Arena West" area(between Neil and the tracks)?

The fact that NRI was pushing to have all of Confluence Village be the same brick box design as the rest of the AD strongly suggests they have no interest to branch out architecturally in the neighborhood.  I suspect that last plot is going to have something underwhelming.

7 minutes ago, jonoh81 said:

The fact that NRI was pushing to have all of Confluence Village be the same brick box design as the rest of the AD strongly suggests they have no interest to branch out architecturally in the neighborhood.  I suspect that last plot is going to have something underwhelming.

I understand the desire to have inspiring architecture, but I will say that some of the coolest places I've been in the world have large swaths of uniform architecture.  Granted, the uniformity is only attractive if the base style is; but I do like the AD and wouldn't mind seeing it extend through that whole area.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, jonoh81 said:

Or, on the contrary, having the new Crew Stadium look completely different than everything else in the AD could potentially break NRI out of their brick box design for the remaining areas of the neighborhood. 

In terms of the last remaining lot behind Park's Edge, I could see it going either direction. I really wouldn't mind if they mirror the the 7-story buildings for the sake of symmetry, but I would love something tall and all glass.

23 minutes ago, ck said:

I understand the desire to have inspiring architecture, but I will say that some of the coolest places I've been in the world have large swaths of uniform architecture.  Granted, the uniformity is only attractive if the base style is; but I do like the AD and wouldn't mind seeing it extend through that whole area.

CV is part of the AD, but the railroad tracks mark a clear separation, so it's a chance to do something different there.  There's nothing wrong with brick, but I don't understand the desire for conformity in every development.  This is not a historical neighborhood, it's a blank slate.  There is no reason to keep doing the same thing over and over again.

24 minutes ago, cbussoccer said:

Or, on the contrary, having the new Crew Stadium look completely different than everything else in the AD could potentially break NRI out of their brick box design for the remaining areas of the neighborhood. 

In terms of the last remaining lot behind Park's Edge, I could see it going either direction. I really wouldn't mind if they mirror the the 7-story buildings for the sake of symmetry, but I would love something tall and all glass.

I expect that the Chipotle lots will be similar to the rest of the AD, so we're already probably going to get more of the same.  I just want to see some variety.  

1 hour ago, GCrites80s said:

Maybe NRI can shake things up with some EIFS

Go for it and make it highrise-Grenfell Tower 2!  Why should Europe/Asia/Middle East get all the good highrise fires, right? 

That last plot of land will get an 8 story brick box. Still better than a dead pen, and good enough for Columbus, right?  

/sarcasm

4 hours ago, cbussoccer said:

Construction cam for the new stadium: https://www.crewstadium.com/#construction-cam

https://webcampub.multivista.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=aPublicWebcam.embed&WebcamPublicEmbedUID=5C97B5EA-6427-4DDD-B6A5-E1C0D91D4D57&HLS=1

There's a direct link. Crazy that they're going full bore the day after groundbreaking!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, aderwent said:

https://webcampub.multivista.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=aPublicWebcam.embed&WebcamPublicEmbedUID=5C97B5EA-6427-4DDD-B6A5-E1C0D91D4D57&HLS=1

There's a direct link. Crazy that they're going full bore the day after groundbreaking!

WE DON'T - WE DON'T - WE DON'T MESS AROUND - HEY!  (that's an old radio show sports reference that I wonder how many will get!)

But seriously, that is great to see them moving so fast on this stadium work. 🏗️🚧⚽

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, aderwent said:

Well they are on a pretty tight deadline. The summer of 2021 will be here before we know it!

• Like 1

An interesting plot twist to add to the disgruntlement of more citizens. It seems the Ginther administration had more to hide than just 'infrastructure' spending. I'm curious how this will affect city council elections with this news being tailwinds behind the Yes We Can candidates. I'm not exactly happy about it either. Especially as so much of this was back door wheeling and dealing that the city seems to have wanted to keep under wraps as long as possible. 

It also makes me even more curious about what kind of contract NRI and the Crew ended up with.

City officials originally had demanded affordable units in early versions of the contract with the Crew. But that requirement for roughly 177 new affordable units transformed into an “effort” to build 88, documents show.

The city never publicized the change, or that the number of non-construction, full-time jobs projected to be created had dropped from 1,500 jobs in the December memorandum of understanding to 775 in the final contract, a 48.3% drop.

Other jobs will be created but can’t be attributed directly to the development, so they are not included in the total, Stevens said, “because the Crew cannot commit to create jobs they do not control.”

The jobs directly related to the project include the equivalent of 580 permanent, full-time jobs at the new stadium, 70 at a new sports park and training facility adjacent to Mapfre Stadium on the north side of the Ohio Expo Center, and 125 at the mixed-use development at Confluence Village.

What was once billed as a commitment by the team’s owners to construct 270,000 square feet of new commercial space is now listed as 120,000 square feet of office space in the final contract signed by city officials in late September.

This is the gem though. [Summarized] 'We removed the requirement and made it a suggestion and we fully expect them to maintain the limits we want imposed without having any way to enforce it anymore.'

“It’s obvious that the affordable housing is important to the city, and we are going to make our best effort to include it in the project,” said Peter John-Baptiste, a spokesman for the Haslam Sports Group, the developer of Confluence Village.

“The city fully expects developers to maintain the affordable housing limits,” Ginther spokeswoman Robin Davis said in an email when asked by The Dispatch about the change.

And the dispatch seems to have uncovered documents that show that Ginther's talking point about the city money jumping to over $100mil is a lie and that it wasnt originally planned that way but was done under pressure from the Crew and Haslam group. 

But internal city documents obtained by The Dispatch show that as Crew SC pressed the the city to pay more than double its initial taxpayer contribution — from $50 million to $113.9 million for what Ginther says includes costs related to additional development around the stadium in the Arena District — the “Confluence Village” affordable-housing component and the projected jobs number were quietly reduced.

What I had hoped wasn't your typical stadium owners bullying cities seems to have been a bit too good to be true. 

IMO: Is it the worst deal in the world, no. Is the stadium worth it. Probably. Was the public mislead. Absolutely. I'm sure there will be plenty of people that shrug it off for the sake of saving the Crew but even beyond a stadium deal, it's bad urbanism to let developers to get away with such drastic reductions in mixed use promises. It appears the vibrant stadium village is going to be this much less vibrant. 

https://www.dispatch.com/news/20191031/strict-affordable-housing-requirements-dropped-from-crew-stadium-district-project

Edit. I forgot to put in the total number of housing unit change. ORIGINAL: 885 FINAL: 440

Edited by DTCL11
  • Like 1

^^^Yep, it really sucks. He needed an opponent to push him on some issues, even if he was assured re-election. He really seems to truly be doing bare minimum and is rewarded for it.

I miss Coleman : (

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GCrites80s said:

Ginther is essentially running unopposed on Tuesday. I haven't heard much about the opposition who is this Jef Leppard guy that is write-in only.

Ginther may only have this time, he isn't as favorable with a lot of business folks in the city like Coleman was, though he is a puppet so who knows!

Coleman, despite his own issues, really knew how to play the game and was a great mayor for all IMO.

Edited by wpcc88
  • Like 1

$25.7M Columbus Crew stadium land deal closes

Nationwide Realty Investors Ltd. said Friday afternoon that it has closed a deal to sell the Columbus Crew about 21 acres of land on West Nationwide Boulevard where the soccer team plans to build its new $300 million stadium.

A Columbus Crew spokesman previously said the team’s ownership group would pay $25.7 million for the land. The Crew confirmed the closure of the sale.

The purchase is officially between Nationwide Realty Investors affiliate NWD 500 Nationwide LLC and West End Development LLC, an affiliate of the Crew’s ownership group. That group includes Jimmy and Dee Haslam (the owners of the Cleveland Browns) and Columbus' Edwards family.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/11/01/columbus-crew-stadium-land-deal-has-closed.html

• Like 1

Technically Short North, but its about the Stadium. The downtown Stadium Experience Center at 881 High, opening this December. 

image.thumb.png.01434c1a2a6b985343090f11d62a674c.png

image.thumb.png.636db9d847682862bbf6b90d77adc149.png

"the Experience Center will serve as the place where you will be able to utilize the latest interactive technology to conceptualize the new stadium and its various seating options. Crew SC membership consultants will guide you through the seat selection process and answer any questions that you have along the way."

• Like 4

They changed the angle of the construction cam:

image.thumb.png.0ce05e834d3d62d8336eb73785cfc6ec.png

It's pretty cool to see the recent mid-rise buildings that have gone up along High Street from here. The views from the stadium are going to be really cool no matter which way you look. I can't wait!

• Like 6

The real winner is White Castle.  Just sayin'.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

State funding for Crew stadium could increase as team seeks loan on top of planned $20M

Columbus Crew SC has long included state money in its funding plan for the soccer team's new Arena District stadium, but a document obtained by Columbus Business First indicates the state contribution to the project could include a $13.4 million loan in addition to the previously budgeted $20 million.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/11/15/exclusivestate-funding-for-crew-stadium-could.html

54 minutes ago, Zyrokai said:

^^^ I super want that triangle piece next to it to get developed. Also I see some stadium-esque shapes forming!

I wonder if the best option would be to somehow turn the triangle into public green space. Some sort of safety barriers would likely need to be built along the RR tracks, but I think it could be an interesting concept and likely easier than actually building something. I really just want it to be utilized in some fashion. 

Columbus has plenty of underutilized parcels on major corridors that are much more important to develop than the forgotten triangle only known to us urban geeks that stare at aerial views. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, wpcc88 said:

Could be a great location for an Amtrak station.

Move the greyhound/intercity bus hub there as well... Or even just move the greyhound station there and DREAM of an amtrak down the road lol.

Edit: Amtrak+Greyhound+Park 

Yay SimUrbanOhio!

Edited by DTCL11
  • Like 1

It's not common knowledge, but the Convention Center is already designed to be a train station with very little additional work. Hop off the platform, walk a few feet and you're in the food court/mini-mall.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, GCrites80s said:

It's not common knowledge, but the Convention Center is already designed to be a train station with very little additional work. Hop off the platform, walk a few feet and you're in the food court/mini-mall.

Mind blown.

Also, I vote we forever refer to this parcel as The Forgotten Triangle™

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GCrites80s said:

Yep.  I think I mentioned it here at least once that the initial plans called for the CC to be south of the railroad tracks.  It was going to include a hotel and event space together.  A separate, but connected transit hub was planned on the northern side of the tracks in a revamped Union Station.  When US was torn down by the city, the city lost funding to build the transit station because of the demolition, and the city built the CC in its place, instead.  The idea of the transit hub was still incorporated into the design, but never built.  And we still got the hotel on the south side of the tracks.

Edited by jonoh81

Crew stadium update: Franklin County advances funding plan

Franklin County’s piece of the public financing for Columbus Crew SC’s new $300 million Arena District stadium moved forward Tuesday.

The Franklin County Board of Commissioners approved an intergovernmental agreement with the Confluence Community Authority, laying out its contribution to the project. That contribution will consist of annual payments of $2.5 million over 30 years to the newly created entity that will eventually own the stadium. 

Although those contributions will ultimately total $75 million, the county describes its contribution to the project as approximately $45 million, based on the size of the bond issuance those payments will allow.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/12/03/crew-stadium-update-franklin-county-advances.html