Sign in to follow this  
Guest KJP

Separation of Church & State

I have said multiple times (take sex out of the equation, there may or may not be sex involved in the relationship). Why are you mentioning love? Lots of people get married for other reasons than love. In your opinion does the due process equal protection clause cover this? Would you personally be opposed to it? Are they really hurting anyone, hurting society. Does polygamy hurt people or society? IDK

Incest is not for good when making babies is what you always hear, birth defects.

I think society has the ability to restrict certain defined types of marriages. Forced marriages, marriages to or among minors, incestual marriages, for example. The data is abundant on the short and long term damaging effects of those types of relationships. Polygamy is a bit more debatable from my viewpoint, but it would indeed require a redefinition of marriage from a legal standpoint. All the current marriage laws are written just fine to accommodate gay marriage.  Polygamy has the potential to offer those 'extra rights' the talking heads keep nonsensically spewing about when discussing gay marriage

As for your hypothetical, when you fit into a category society has legitimate reasons to prohibit from marrying, you are SOL. The right to due process, even when applicable, is not absolute.

Notwithstanding the death throes of anti gay prejudices evident in this thread, it's amazing to me how quickly gay marriage is turning into a non-issue among American Catholics, just like birth-control did. The flock doesn't like government telling its church what to do in its religions affairs, but on a personal level, the flock overwhelmingly flouts the Church's teachings on the subject and wants it to have zero influence on secular policy.

So much for limited government. Or the Constitution....

Kasich Proposes New Government Agency To Promote Judeo-Christian Values

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/kasich-proposes-new-government-agency-promote-judeo-christian-values-n465101

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

That is what a losing primary candidate desperate for attention sounds like.

Disingenuous. It's amusing how he suddenly got religious right before announcing his candidacy.

A Christian Nationalist Blitz

By Katherine Stewart

May 26, 2018

America’s Christian nationalists have a new plan for advancing their legislative goals in state capitols across the country. Its stated aim is to promote “religious freedom.” Not shy, they call it “Project Blitz.”

“Blitz” accurately describes the spirit of the enterprise, but the mission has little to do with what most Americans would call religious freedom. This is just the latest attempt by religious extremists to use the coercive powers of government to secure a privileged position in society for their version of Christianity.

The idea behind Project Blitz is to overwhelm state legislatures with bills based on centrally manufactured legislation. “It’s kind of like whack-a-mole for the other side; it’ll drive ‘em crazy that they’ll have to divide their resources out in opposing this,” David Barton, the Christian nationalist historian and one of four members of Project Blitz’s “steering team,” said in a conference call with state legislators from around the country that was later made public.

MORE:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/05/26/opinion/project-blitz-christian-nationalists.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

When rulers and those who seek to rule invoke Romans 13, be afraid. They are invoking divinity to enforce or preserve a status quo. This is why we have separation of church and state. Our nation is supposed to be run by regular people who make mistakes and are in a constant search for a more perfect union. That means changing to fix mistakes and keep our laws up to date. When we tie our laws and government to divinity, that suggests we have achieved perfection and thus have no reason to change -- and should even punish those who suggest change. Keep your churches away from our laws.

The Fight to Define Romans 13

Jeff Sessions used it to justify his policy of family separation, but he’s not the first to invoke the biblical passage.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/06/romans-13/562916/

I didn't like that either.

I do think this is funny. I hope you're comfortable enough with your own self and the wonderful imperfections of our man-made religions to find it funny too.

FB_IMG_1529158739353.jpg.e99d7820f95e03b36df3b1acfd1e9af6.jpg

More a-holes trying to push a theocracic agenda on America....

Full page Hobby Lobby ad in today’s Plain Dealer, pushing a hyper-selective narrative of America as a Christian nation by quoting sources from 1636, 1787, 1831, 1832, 1844, 1853, 1884 and 1892. Oh, and one from 1962.

36416182_10156212514030272_270250333085630464_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=fd63ac3463ae5e39e1baf8eeaa9d9895&oe=5BB08699

From the footer of that ad:

"If you would like to know Jesus as Lord and Savior, visit Need Him Ministry at www.chataboutjesus.com"

Layer upon layer of clumsy mind control.  But it works.  If you're afraid of government power, you should be afraid of government (or anyone) talking like this.

Keep religion to yourself, please

Law requires TN schools to display 'In God We Trust' in prominent location

http://www.cleveland19.com/story/38844185/law-requires-tn-schools-to-display-in-god-we-trust-in-prominent-location

I'm really apprehensive to see these kinds of Bronze Age dictums creeping back into America of the 21st century, CE...

https://www.wcpo.com/news/national/-in-god-we-trust-now-must-be-displayed-in-all-florida-schools-school-buildings

Such primitive religious onslaughts are clear violations of the separation of church & state.   

I assume everyone here is whiting-out the part on your paper currency that says "In God We Trust." How unbearably offensive that must be! Or have you converted to Bitcoin? lol  ::)

That shouldn't be on currency either.  Your point?

I assume everyone here is whiting-out the part on your paper currency that says "In God We Trust." How unbearably offensive that must be! Or have you converted to Bitcoin? lol  ::)

It is offensive, but I treat it about as seriously as I treat the pyramids with giant eyeballs on top.

Keep religion to yourself, please

Law requires TN schools to display 'In God We Trust' in prominent location

http://www.cleveland19.com/story/38844185/law-requires-tn-schools-to-display-in-god-we-trust-in-prominent-location

Compelled speech is worse than suppressed speech

The Supreme Court certainly concurred.  Barnette and Santa Fe ISD would be the relevant precedents here.

I wasn't sure if I should post this in the Republican party thread or and the separation of church and state thread. In practice, what's the difference?

GOP Lawmakers Plan For 51st “Christian State” To Be Based On Biblical Law

People in Washington state keep demanding that the state Republican Party expel him for his dangerous form of extremism but they refuse.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2019/05/gop-lawmakers-plan-for-51st-christian-state-to-be-based-on-biblical-law/

This is totally FUBAR!! What happens if/when Southern states copy this? What happens when their Congresspersons and Senators in Washington demand religious police in the whole country? What happens when many states choose to not agree to it? 

Alabama governor signs law allowing church to have its own police force

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/alabama-governor-signs-law-allowing-church-to-have-its-own-police-force/ar-AADbRd6?li=BBnb7Kz

9 hours ago, KJP said:

This is totally FUBAR!! What happens if/when Southern states copy this? What happens when their Congresspersons and Senators in Washington demand religious police in the whole country? What happens when many states choose to not agree to it? 

Alabama governor signs law allowing church to have its own police force

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/alabama-governor-signs-law-allowing-church-to-have-its-own-police-force/ar-AADbRd6?li=BBnb7Kz

Cersei Lannister did the same thing.  You see how that turned out for her!  LOL  Sounds like they want a Swiss Papal Guard situation.

On 6/22/2019 at 8:25 AM, MyTwoSense said:

Cersei Lannister did the same thing.  You see how that turned out for her!  LOL  Sounds like they want a Swiss Papal Guard situation.

If the religious police end up marching Kay Ivey through the streets in the same way they did Cersei ...

... actually, I retract what I was about to say--I could see HBO getting a camera crew in place for that.

5 hours ago, Gramarye said:

If the religious police end up marching Kay Ivey through the streets in the same way they did Cersei ...

... actually, I retract what I was about to say--I could see HBO getting a camera crew in place for that.

...and I would be there for it!  

Ok, this is getting way out of hand....

If it wasn't repealed, then it's still current. 

But it's being presented as news.  I know you don't necessarily read all your links, but maybe a little QC on the Twitter links is in order?

Or it can be received as a reminder.

Don't be obtuse.  If you want to state it as a reminder, then say "hey, this is a reminder".  But you and the original Tweeter posted it as if it was new news.

Doesn't matter. No one cares anyway. 

Edited by KJP

"The purpose of separation of church and state is to keep forever from these shores the ceaseless strife that has soaked the soil of Europe with blood for centuries."

James Madison

The Supreme Court Considers Mandatory Government Funding of Religious Education

https://www.aclu.org/blog/religious-liberty/religion-and-public-schools/supreme-court-considers-mandatory-government