Sign in to follow this  
Htsguy

Cleveland: Which Project Will Be Next and Why

Well, I would put Market Plaza as the next project since it's pretty much a ''go''.  Of course City Club Apartments could announce a building on the Hippodrome site and break ground this summer for example 🙂 before Market Plaza starts.

• Like 1

^ Don't get too excited by enthusiastic developers. Projects on empty lots have taken longer to start. In this case you have a fully occupied plaza with leases that need to be broken before demolition can start. And a construction method that's never been tried here. The odds are not in their favor for a fast start, IMO.

Edited by Mendo
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mendo said:

^ Don't get too excited by enthusiastic developers. Projects on empty lots have taken longer to start. In this case you have a fully occupied plaza with leases that need to be broken before demolition can start. And a construction method that's never been tried here. The odds are not in their favor for a fast start, IMO.

Prior post retracted.  Why would enthusiastic developers come in from Chicago and buy this property if they weren't going to do anything with it?  Buyout the leases.  Not a case of local developers like Stark it seems.

Anyway, I forget I'm back in Cleveland where vacant lots sit empty in prime locations for x# decades and the mayor appointments an ex-con wife beater turned murderer to a city job at the direction of the local sitting U.S. House Rep and no one cares.  Pretty much sums up CLE City Hall mentality; some things never change lol.  

Let's hope 925 Euclid can get moving maybe.  

Edited by Oxford19
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Oxford19 said:

Prior post retracted.  Why would enthusiastic developers come in from Chicago and buy this property if they weren't going to do anything with it?  Buyout the leases.  Not a case of local developers like Stark it seems.

Anyway, I forget I'm back in Cleveland where vacant lots sit empty in prime locations for x# decades and the mayor appointments an ex-con wife beater turned murderer to a city job at the direction of the local sitting U.S. House Rep and no one cares.  Pretty much sums up CLE City Hall mentality; some things never change lol.  

Let's hope 925 Euclid can get moving maybe.  

We've seen projects languish for months or one reason or another. It isn't always a city problem, and I'm as critical of city leadership as they come.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mendo said:

We've seen projects languish for months or one reason or another. It isn't always a city problem, and I'm as critical of city leadership as they come.

Of course financing is often the most obvious obstacle but a city's local City Hall mentality is the core of how any city operates, including development obviously.

Still optimistic due to the out of town investor group, its history, and the fact that this project (Market Square) isn't downtown.  Look at the residential development on Detroit Avenue in the "hip'' named Hingetown.  W25/Lorain is at the core of Ohio City.

Looking ahead a few years....

Euclid+Avenue+projects1.jpg

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 10, 2019

Ten million square feet of downtown Cleveland construction

What if I told you that Downtown Cleveland could soon have more than six million square feet of buildings under construction at the same time? What if I told you downtown already has four million square feet of construction underway or about to begin? Yes, 10 million square feet total.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/02/ten-million-square-feet-of-downtown.html

Edited by KJP
  • Like 5

In 1976, the City of Cleveland issued NINE building permits. NINE. When we start to feel down about the progress of development here vs. other cities, remember how lifeless Cleveland was and how far it's come.

For the love of god why does the topic of a new Justice Center keep arising as it does in the article linked above? How do we as taxpayers stand to benefit? The justice center serves a simple and utilitarian purpose and does not produce any return on investment. 

8 minutes ago, westlake10 said:

For the love of god why does the topic of a new Justice Center keep arising as it does in the article linked above? How do we as taxpayers stand to benefit? The justice center serves a simple and utilitarian purpose and does not produce any return on investment. 

I responded here....

In 1976, the City of Cleveland issued NINE building permits. NINE. When we start to feel down about the progress of development here vs. other cities, remember how lifeless Cleveland was and how far it's come.