Guest The_Cincinnati_Kid

Cincinnati: Downtown: Autograph Collection Hotel (Anna Louise Inn)

You might say endless, but the owners are spending the money and going to make a top notch property for the city. I think the GC was being careless and trying to make deadlines and chose to take a risk on not going for addendum with the permitting, and he got burned. 

2 hours ago, 513to424 said:

Maybe if Hilton took this long with the Cincinnatian the renovation would have actually been... decent. 

Just curious, what exactly do you think is wrong with the Cincinnatian? I am not really familiar with the project, I just walk past it often and it seems nice to me. 

2 hours ago, Largue said:

Just curious, what exactly do you think is wrong with the Cincinnatian? I am not really familiar with the project, I just walk past it often and it seems nice to me. 

The Cincinnatian was half-assed the whole way through. But the new owners, SREE are pretty damn cheap. Surprised Hilton gave them a Curio flag. Alot of items were value engineered out of the design. The exterior looks bad without awnings or covering over the entry. The glass ones were very 80s but they served a purpose. They just patched the walls and painted to the second floor windows. 

How much of the Cincinnatian's exterior is original? I always felt that the mansard roof on it looked a bit... off, as if it was trying to be historically accurate but ended up getting value-engineered by some 80s historicist firm. 

“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

On 4/23/2019 at 6:27 PM, savadams13 said:

You might say endless, but the owners are spending the money and going to make a top notch property for the city. I think the GC was being careless and trying to make deadlines and chose to take a risk on not going for addendum with the permitting, and he got burned. 

The GC and owner are essentially the same company.

1 minute ago, brian korte said:

Does anyone have info on when the Lytle Park portion of this project is supposed to be completed and reopened?

This is all part of the legal battle to save the trees in the park. The Park portion has the funding in place to start reconstruction, once the hotel project starts wrapping up so there isnt multiple construction zones at once. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, taestell said:

This project does not look very good IMO.

IMG_5982 (1).jpg

This is prime example when developer thinks they can design in house. Same developer that did the hot mess AC hotel at the Banks. Pinching pennies can cost more in the long run. What I can not figure out is why all the cornices are being removed? I am not privy anymore to the day to day drama.  Wonder if this has to do with the height conflict with HCB. 

Very 80's hospital-ish.

• Like 3

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

The last time this thread was bumped was basically April, and I’m not sure they’ve even made any progress since then. Why exactly did W&S want this property so bad again? Other than so that they wouldn’t have to look at battered women on “their” park again, of course.

“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

I don't even understand the point of keeping the old structure if you're just going to drain it of all its character. I thought they wanted the Anna Louise Inn because it was a nice old building that would make for a quaint hotel, but there's nothing quaint about any of that mess.

8 minutes ago, BigDipper 80 said:

Why exactly did W&S want this property so bad again? Other than so that they wouldn’t have to look at battered women on “their” park again, of course.

Yeah, that's exactly it. W&S views Lytle Park as their corporate campus and didn't want a pesky social service there. It's the same concept as P&G's private lawn, except that P&G actually owns their lawn, while Lytle Park is a public park, W&S just pretends they own it and bullies the Park Board into doing what they want.

4 hours ago, savadams13 said:

This is prime example when developer thinks they can design in house. Same developer that did the hot mess AC hotel at the Banks. Pinching pennies can cost more in the long run. What I can not figure out is why all the cornices are being removed? I am not privy anymore to the day to day drama.  Wonder if this has to do with the height conflict with HCB. 

who could object to this? Its five stories tall (it seems all new construction: apartments, hotels, and businesses are 5 stories tall). it keeps the façade of the old building, more or less. And the entrance is accessible only by a drive thru fast food line that over looks the park. Why are cars more important than the green space?  The overall effect is much like Price Hill Chili or maybe the Catholic Partners Building at Reading and Elsinore.

This project has been a total bust from the beginning. It's absolutely absurd that it's still not even done yet after all these years. The HCB should have never allowed that black glass. They repeatedly violated the conditions of approval from the HCB and the end result shows it blatantly. 

On 1/2/2017 at 11:29 PM, jmecklenborg said:

Dec 30, 2016:

city-7706_zpszjwvqhpf.jpg

city-7702_zpsbhd8cno8.jpg

city-7698_zpshhezrqep.jpg

city-7697_zpscexzql8n.jpg

city-7696_zpsbbeuamwr.jpg

We're literally at Year 4 since construction began.  I can't think of anything that has taken that long to build around here since the Kenwood Collection fiasco.  Union Terminal and Music Hall were each significantly faster. 

• Like 2

It's insane how slow this project has been. The contractor/developer keeps changing things and the city/HCB has made them undo multiple things that they tried to get away with. It's excruciating. 

12 minutes ago, seaswan said:

the black glass is seemingly such a small thing, but it really does make it look awful 

Looks like they salvaged it from the Deaconess Hospital demolition.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nicker66 said:

Looks like they salvaged it from the Deaconess Hospital demolition.

Maybe they just flipped around the "1985" cornerstone so it could be reused.  

It takes some real creativity to make some very nice historic structures look like they were transplanted straight from West Chester's "downtown"

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

There are SO MANY good examples of old buildings converted into hotels that have happened statewide recently (Hotel LeVeque, Kimpton Schofield, Drury Plaza Cleveland, the Enquirer Building hotel, hell that Residence Inn across the street from ALI) that it blows my mind at how badly this developer is botching this. There are good examples of how to do this all over the place that they could have seen in person to get ideas!

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 2:26 PM, taestell said:

This project does not look very good IMO.

IMG_5982 (1).jpg

I'm sure they'll be pumping some mood music under that marquis that'll spill out into the park.  

I just don't understand how they made the brick addition to the entrance so bad, why didn't they add windows or make it glass, would have been better than blank brick walls?

Also, this has taken soooooooooo long, hard to understand that, will be what, 4 years since construction started when finished?

20 hours ago, JYP said:

It takes some real creativity to make some very nice historic structures look like they were transplanted straight from West Chester's "downtown"

Well that's winegardner and Hammons for you, they built and developed a number of Marriott and Holiday Inn properties in suburban office parks all over. It's what they know. Somehow they got this idea they can do urban design for boutique brands like autograph and AC. There one man internal design guy is really old school, this design proves his lack of depth.

18 hours ago, 513to424 said:

Can't wait to see the interior... 😟

The guest rooms will be a floral hot mess. Was lucky enough to see the mock up room and thought I was transported back to the early 90s of Laura Ashley designs

• Haha 1

In the original rendering it looks like the new brick additions were supposed to match the color of the original brick a lot closer. Wonder what happened there...

That porte-cochere is awful, though. 

image.thumb.png.e95f87a9344f7c43267550956b51ee27.png

Edited by BigDipper 80

On 7/29/2019 at 5:01 PM, taestell said:

W&S views Lytle Park as their corporate campus and didn't want a pesky social service there. It's the same concept as P&G's private lawn, except that P&G actually owns their lawn, while Lytle Park is a public park, W&S just pretends they own it and bullies the Park Board into doing what they want.

Cincinnati Park Board has now paused the renovation of Lytle Park "indefinitely" because Western & Southern has decided to sue to park board and withhold the funding that they previous promised.

Again...W&S thinks Lytle Park is their own private lawn for their corporate campus and they do not care about nearby residents or anyone else that wants to use this public park. They are not a good neighbor.

• Like 3

The letter says there are "multiple lawsuits" so it could be someone else (nearby residents?) suing the city over the removal of those mature trees from Lytle Park. However the letter does explicitly say that W&S is withholding the funding that they previously promised for the construction and ongoing maintenance of the park.

2 minutes ago, taestell said:

The letter says there are "multiple lawsuits" so it could be someone else (nearby residents?) suing the city over the removal of those mature trees from Lytle Park. However the letter does say that W&S is withholding the funding that they previously promised for the construction and ongoing maintenance of the park.

The group that opposed the removal of the trees is suing the park board and the W&S Foundation. Heard it on the news this morning.

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche