Cincinnati: Downtown: Autograph Collection Hotel (Anna Louise Inn)

Guest The_Cincinnati_Kid

I just don't understand how they made the brick addition to the entrance so bad, why didn't they add windows or make it glass, would have been better than blank brick walls?

Also, this has taken soooooooooo long, hard to understand that, will be what, 4 years since construction started when finished?

20 hours ago, JYP said:

It takes some real creativity to make some very nice historic structures look like they were transplanted straight from West Chester's "downtown"

Well that's winegardner and Hammons for you, they built and developed a number of Marriott and Holiday Inn properties in suburban office parks all over. It's what they know. Somehow they got this idea they can do urban design for boutique brands like autograph and AC. There one man internal design guy is really old school, this design proves his lack of depth.

In the original rendering it looks like the new brick additions were supposed to match the color of the original brick a lot closer. Wonder what happened there...

That porte-cochere is awful, though. 

image.thumb.png.e95f87a9344f7c43267550956b51ee27.png

Edited by BigDipper 80

“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

• 3 months later...
On 7/29/2019 at 5:01 PM, taestell said:

W&S views Lytle Park as their corporate campus and didn't want a pesky social service there. It's the same concept as P&G's private lawn, except that P&G actually owns their lawn, while Lytle Park is a public park, W&S just pretends they own it and bullies the Park Board into doing what they want.

Cincinnati Park Board has now paused the renovation of Lytle Park "indefinitely" because Western & Southern has decided to sue to park board and withhold the funding that they previous promised.

Again...W&S thinks Lytle Park is their own private lawn for their corporate campus and they do not care about nearby residents or anyone else that wants to use this public park. They are not a good neighbor.

• Like 3

The letter says there are "multiple lawsuits" so it could be someone else (nearby residents?) suing the city over the removal of those mature trees from Lytle Park. However the letter does explicitly say that W&S is withholding the funding that they previously promised for the construction and ongoing maintenance of the park.

2 minutes ago, taestell said:

The letter says there are "multiple lawsuits" so it could be someone else (nearby residents?) suing the city over the removal of those mature trees from Lytle Park. However the letter does say that W&S is withholding the funding that they previously promised for the construction and ongoing maintenance of the park.

The group that opposed the removal of the trees is suing the park board and the W&S Foundation. Heard it on the news this morning.

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

In all of my time on this earth and listening to city politics and drama this ranks near the top of my list of petty fights that didn't have to happen. I bet this whole saga is what lead to the resignation of our promising new park board head Wade Walcutt. W&S could have just trimmed or thinned the existing trees a bit to get a better view or whatever their reasoning to cut them down was, but NOooooooo they had to go all scorched earth and prove their dominance over that little spot of earth. Im surprised they aren't salting the soil as we speak.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, taestell said:

Cincinnati Park Board has now paused the renovation of Lytle Park "indefinitely" because Western & Southern has decided to sue to park board and withhold the funding that they previous promised.

Again...W&S thinks Lytle Park is their own private lawn for their corporate campus and they do not care about nearby residents or anyone else that wants to use this public park. They are not a good neighbor.

you should probably update this. since it is not true.

^ My post was based on this tweet from a WCPO reporter which claimed that there was pending litigation between W&S and the Park Board:

INBOX: Lytle Park renovation project paused "indefinitely," due to "pending litigation" with Western-Southern.

The Park Board’s letter also says there are "multiple lawsuits" so I don’t think that the residents suing the Park Board is the only lawsuit. It also does explicitly say that W&S is withholding the funding that they previously promised for the construction and ongoing maintenance of the park. So I'm not sure what about my post is "not true."

• 2 months later...

This project is very expensive, but what is clear is that expensive isn't always better, and in my opinion often just looks tacky. It has a certain Vegas/gilded vibe that don't like, and it just does a really bad job of accentuating the historic structure. The old brick was covered over with drywall, you can all it "Venetian plaster" all you want, but instead of repairing the brick around where the old front porch was removed they just furred the whole thing. A glass atrium between two hundred year old brick buildings could have been a pretty incredible space, instead we got an upscale hotel lobby.

• Like 2

Just now, taestell said:

This whole project just feels... off.

hotelatlytlepark-3.jpg

You mean the fact that the structural columns are covered in garish ornament while the main entrance to all the guest rooms is a plain drywall hole? In the middle of your picture there was a Rookwood tile water fountain that was removed, I hope they put it back...

1 hour ago, westerninterloper said:

The Perrysburg Holidome "French Quarter" closed in 2019. 

Terrible news!  I met the legendary C-Dawg there!

• Like 1

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

• 1 month later...
On 1/8/2020 at 1:04 PM, taestell said:

This whole project just feels... off.

hotelatlytlepark-3.jpg

I will say that this space feels a ton better now that it's full of stuff even it's still not my style. They also replaced the Rookwood tile water fountain and the rooftop bar and event space is really really nice. The only problem with the roof is that it overlooks a now desolate Lytle Park. 

IMG_1755.JPG

IMG_1801.JPG

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/16/2020 at 1:23 AM, UncleRando said:

This project is completed now, right?

Correct! I've moved it to the completed projects.

"It's just fate, as usual, keeping its bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton