natininja

Terrorism / Mass Shootings

1 hour ago, Pablo said:

Hope not. This was more of a domestic terror attack. The murderer posted anti-immigrant rants on a twitter account

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2019/08/03/el-paso-shooting-suspect-may-have-authored-manifesto-containing-white-nationalist-talking

Definitely.  We're not serious about doing anything about this problem, and since Muslims or brown immigrants can't be blamed, the narrative will be about how mental health programs need more funding.  And extra thoughts and prayers.

Im sick. I hope all of our UO’ers in Dayton and their families are safe.

I own over a dozen guns. I belonged to the NRA until last year. I firmly believe in the right to bear arms.

But I’m at the point where if legislation was passed asking people to surrender their arms to reduce the chances of mass shootings, I’d turn them all in tomorrow.

We’re the only country where this happens - and we’re not the only country with mental health problems

It’s not a mental health issue. It’s radicalization from the far right, starting with Trump and enabled by Portman, Cruz, McConnell etc. 

Not a mental health issue. 

In 2009, DHS wrote a report that right wing extremism was a big threat.  John Boehner lead a revolt because conservatives like to play the victim instead of being introspective.  But as we've learned conservatives dont care about white nationalist language being used by the president. They only care about people pointing out the bigotry.  It was even made obvious in the Trump thread when a so called reasonable conservative moderator decided he'd rather not hear the truth.

Edited by freefourur

1 hour ago, smith said:

It’s not a mental health issue. It’s radicalization from the far right, starting with Trump and enabled by Portman, Cruz, McConnell etc. 

Not a mental health issue. 

Not a mental health issue. Good comments here. Glad to hear the Texas governor now says it was a hate crime. He should have called it murder by a terrorist. 

https://www.bradyunited.org/press-releases/brady-responds-to-governor-comments-about-el-paso-shooting

11 minutes ago, Pablo said:

Not a mental health issue. Good comments here. Glad to hear the Texas governor now says it was a hate crime. He should have called it murder by a terrorist. 

https://www.bradyunited.org/press-releases/brady-responds-to-governor-comments-about-el-paso-shooting

Too bad it's the same governor who was previously tweeting about how Texans should be buying more guns.  

Yesterday, my girlfriend and I attended the "World's Longest Yard Sale" on Route 127, where we saw a frightening number of booths selling flags, t-shirts, and other merch with pictures of assault rifles and sayings like "We dare you to take our guns!" "Come get 'em!" etc.

On the way back home to Cincy we stopped for lunch in Downtown Dayton.

About 10 hours later someone used one of those weapons to kill 10 people and injure dozens more frighteningly close to where we had stopped for lunch.

BTW, every booth that I saw selling pro-gun merch was also selling MAGA merch. Really tacky stuff too, like t-shirts with a picture of Trump wearing a Superman uniform. These people truly live in an alternate universe. They think they are in a Marvel movie where Trump is a superhero who owns the libs and the Second Amendment People carry around their assault rifles forming a militia to protect him. It's really, really sick.

3 hours ago, YABO713 said:

I own over a dozen guns. I belonged to the NRA until last year. I firmly believe in the right to bear arms.

But I’m at the point where if legislation was passed asking people to surrender their arms to reduce the chances of mass shootings, I’d turn them all in tomorrow.

We’re the only country where this happens - and we’re not the only country with mental health problems

I wish more Americans were like you.

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

4 hours ago, YABO713 said:

The way I read this - are you really saying you fully support revoking the Second Amendment?

It's in dark times that it's the easiest for a conservative to make an overly emotional reaction and sacrifice their own human rights to the government. The Patriot Act comes to mind. It's times like these we have to keep our resolve. I think my NRA membership has lapsed, too. I just renewed it.

19 minutes ago, Ram23 said:

The way I read this - are you really saying you fully support revoking the Second Amendment?

It's in dark times that it's the easiest for a conservative to make an overly emotional reaction and sacrifice their own human rights to the government. The Patriot Act comes to mind. It's times like these we have to keep our resolve. I think my NRA membership has lapsed, too. I just renewed it.

As an NRA member and as someone who believes the only racism that exists is that against whites, you are partly responsible for the murders in El Paso, Orlando, etc. I hope you lose all 2nd amendment rights. 

Imagine using the deaths of almost 30 people to reinforce your commitment to the very organization, policy and mentality that made it all possible in the first place.

44 minutes ago, jonoh81 said:

Imagine using the deaths of almost 30 people to reinforce your commitment to the very organization, policy and mentality that made it all possible in the first place.

And neither can I imagine using the horrific deaths of so many for personal political advantage. You have to wonder why Beto O'Rourke shamelessly did just that. I'm sure it has nothing to do with an attempt to prop up his all-but-completely failed Presidential campaign.

Edited by eastvillagedon

On 8/4/2019 at 9:39 AM, DarkandStormy said:

Austria, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Italy, Ireland, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Great Britain, Hungary, Spain, Portugal, Singapore, South Africa, Belgium, Sweden, Australia, France

New Zealand (1), The Netherlands (1), Brazil (1), Canada (1), Mexico (3)

US (249)

Inciting violence is a felony...

On 8/4/2019 at 12:23 PM, Ram23 said:

No - I think there is always a 2nd Amendment right to bear arms. That right, however, does not extend to extended mags, and nearly all semi-automatic rifles. 

I know as a gun owner I used to always say "why do we blame the gun for shootings but don't blame the spoon for eating ice cream and making people obese?"

And to the 2014 version of myself I'd say "it's a hell of a lot harder to get fat eating ice cream with chop sticks." Let everyone - with the mental capacity to own them - have chopsticks... but enough with the serving spoons

11 minutes ago, eastvillagedon said:

uh huh...

Was the fact that he supports Warren part of his motivation for the shooting?  Did he post a manifesto using language that Warren uses? You guys are bad at this whataboutism stuff.  But Trump supporters aren't known for critical thinking. 

3 minutes ago, freefourur said:

Was the fact that he supports Warren part of his motivation for the shooting?  Did he post a manifesto using language that Warren uses? You guys are bad at this whataboutism stuff.  But Trump supporters aren't known for critical thinking. 

gee, there's no evidence that the El Paso shooter was a Trump supporter, yet that hasn't stopped the media from attempting to make a link between them, has it? so much for "critical thinking."

9 minutes ago, eastvillagedon said:

gee, there's no evidence that the El Paso shooter was a Trump supporter, yet that hasn't stopped the media from attempting to make a link between them, has it? so much for "critical thinking."

Who the shooters support politically is not the basis.  The shooter used white nationalist language which is the same language Trump uses.  I can draw a diagram if it makes it easier for you. 

America, the dangerous pariah....

Japan warns residents: Be aware of 'gunfire incidents everywhere' in US

Japan is the third country to warn residents about travel to the U.S. after a weekend of deadly mass shootings.

https://www.wkyc.com/mobile/article/news/nation-world/japan-warns-residents-be-aware-of-gunfire-incidents-everywhere-in-us/507-ba9758ea-fb14-4431-9424-a2765cacac50