natininja

Terrorism / Mass Shootings

^The Middle East needs to fix this mess.  I'm not saying the US is innocent in the matter, far from it, but it does seem that using western military's primarily to fight ISIS is counterproductive.  There needs to be a coalition of majority Muslim countries fighting ISIS showing the rest of the Muslim world that this form of radical Islam is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.  And if Saudi Arabia refuses to join that coalition we need to say "see ya later."  Frankly, any reason to break that unholy union would be welcome.

At the end of the day this group of radicals is trying to carve a country out of Iraq and Syria and it appears they have aspirations to head south to Saudi Arabia at some point.  It's up to the countries in that region to prevent that from happening.

I keep reading about how they are funding their operations through illegal oil sales.  Anyone have more information on this?  Seems like a simple place to start cutting them off/shutting them down

^There was a diplomatic push last year to persuade Turkey to crack down on illegal oil imports. No idea how successful that was.

More recently, the oil export infrastructure has been a focus of US bombing:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/13/us/politics/us-steps-up-its-attacks-on-isis-controlled-oil-fields-in-syria.html?_r=0

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/17/world/middleeast/us-strikes-syria-oil.html

There was actually a surprisingly detailed article on this not long ago, which I can't find at the moment and will post if I do.  Basically, between 40-45% of Daesh's budget comes from plunder--from wealth seized in new cities it conquers in the region.  Black market oil sales are also a large chunk but are not the largest.  Internal "taxation" is very high; its population is expected to tolerate a dramatic level of privation for the sake of the cause.  Ransoms and other forms of what would be familiar organized crime tactics are also a significant revenue flow, and that includes ransoms for both captives and for historical artifacts (Daesh credibly threatened to destroy many old artifacts the same way they did the Palmyra ruins, and people paid to save the antiquities from destruction).

The 40-45% number stands out, though, because perhaps coincidentally, on the spending side, that is almost exactly the percentage of its budget spent on its army.  In other words, the loot from conquered cities almost precisely lines up with Daesh's military budget.  Money is fungible, of course, so if the advance were blunted, it's fairly certain that Daesh would use its other money for its military rather than for what it provides at home in the way of social services, but the point the article author was making is that if you just stop Daesh from expanding further, you in effect cut off a tremendous amount of its budget because of the huge portion of it that comes from direct looting of conquered lands.  That, for instance, is why it is critical to keep it from taking Baghdad, Kirkuk, or any other major Iraqi city that would give them a carcass to feast on for a while.  (Likewise, in Syria, it's important that they never reach Damascus, even though the world has no particular use for the Assad regime.)

i see the news this morning showing some ISIS dude saying "washington is next".  Why would they advertise their next move, giving us time to react and add protection to high value targets & increase surveillance? 

It does seem to be a trap we are falling into though - the more we bomb and wipe out their leaders & training, the more they use it for recruiting and solidarity.

Because the actual physical damage done isn't the point.  It wasn't in Paris, either.  The point is to provoke fear and anger and to get us to do something they want.  They can successfully perform one attack, and then leverage that into extra fear by pointing at Washington and saying "your next...." without it costing or risking them anything.  Their goal, as I understand it, is to create a caliphate and draw the western world to come and fight it in a literal Armageddon (Biblical end of the world battle).  Does that mean we should or shouldn't put boots on the ground?  I don't know, but either way we should proceed from our logic, not theirs.

This is a pretty good long-form piece.

----

What ISIS Really Wants

The Islamic State is no mere collection of psychopaths. It is a religious group with carefully considered beliefs, among them that it is a key agent of the coming apocalypse. Here’s what that means for its strategy—and for how to stop it.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/03/what-isis-really-wants/384980/

^ That was one of the most impressively-researched and widely read pieces the Atlantic has done in many, many years.

Yes, sadly an increasing rarity from a once great publication.

Hannover, Germany soccer stadium evacuated after suspicious object found

HANNOVER, Germany – The friendly soccer game between Germany and the Netherlands was cancelled at short notice after a suspicious object was found at the stadium on Tuesday.

A local German newspaper is reporting an ambulance packed with explosives was found outside the stadium. Global News has not independently verified that information.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2344549/stadium-in-hannover-germany-evacuated-ahead-of-soccer-match/

Hannover, Germany soccer stadium evacuated after suspicious object found

HANNOVER, Germany – The friendly soccer game between Germany and the Netherlands was cancelled at short notice after a suspicious object was found at the stadium on Tuesday.

A local German newspaper is reporting an ambulance packed with explosives was found outside the stadium. Global News has not independently verified that information.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2344549/stadium-in-hannover-germany-evacuated-ahead-of-soccer-match/

Explosive device found inside the stadium also. Not surprised.

Update: 2:52 p.m. EST -- The Hannover chief of police told reporters that there was a "device intended to be detonated" found in the stadium where Germany was expected to play the Netherlands Tuesday.

http://www.ibtimes.com/german-soccer-stadium-evacuated-during-international-friendly-match-hannover-2188594#.VkuDUwuLG04.twitter

i see the news this morning showing some ISIS dude saying "washington is next".  Why would they advertise their next move, giving us time to react and add protection to high value targets & increase surveillance? 

It does seem to be a trap we are falling into though - the more we bomb and wipe out their leaders & training, the more they use it for recruiting and solidarity.

Because the actual physical damage done isn't the point.  It wasn't in Paris, either.  The point is to provoke fear and anger and to get us to do something they want.  They can successfully perform one attack, and then leverage that into extra fear by pointing at Washington and saying "your next...." without it costing or risking them anything.  Their goal, as I understand it, is to create a caliphate and draw the western world to come and fight it in a literal Armageddon (Biblical end of the world battle).  Does that mean we should or shouldn't put boots on the ground?  I don't know, but either way we should proceed from our logic, not theirs.

Agreed, but sometimes you can't ignore a challenge to a fight, any more than you could if someone attacked you in the street.

Also, people talk about Daesh dragging us into a war as being a win for Daesh, being "what ISIS really wants."  It's not quite true.  Their prophecies do say that they must fight "us" (literally, ironically, I think, it's the armies of "Rome"), but their strict Koranic literalism also tells them that they will beat us when the fight happens.  People seem to want to tell this story like a cliffhanger, like the story ends when the battle begins.  Daesh's Koranic literalism suffers from the same flaw that all other religiously literalist cults suffer when it comes to matters of prophecy: when things don't turn out the way they're prophecied, you look somewhat foolish.  This is why I don't think the war is avoidable.  (Not a "war against Islam," just a specific one to defeat Daesh.)  All our more defensive-posture action points, whether it's any answer to the question of how we treat refugees to the fact that we refuse to change our lifestyle under the threat of martyrdom missions, can be interpreted in their minds as just signs that the hour of their victory is coming but not yet upon them.  Something needs to happen that they cannot explain away, and that is something that can be done to Daesh (unlike many Islamist sects) because of how strictly literalist they are.  Much like those who have, in the past, predicted that the world will end on such-and-such date.

New reports coming out that no explosives have been found.

This is obviously an ongoing development. Seems misinformation may have been spread. We'll see what happens when things clear up.

^^As I said, we should proceed from our logic, not theirs.  If our logic tells us it makes sense to put boots on the ground, then we should.  It may be so.  It may well be that the best thing is to tell them to meet us on the field at the very place they prophesize for Armageddon and meet and beat them in head to head battle.  I am saying that we should do that or not based on our own calculations, not on "do the opposite of what they want".  I have no lack of faith we can beat them easily in any direct confrontation.

The problem is that when "Armageddon" comes and goes, and the world doesn't end we're going to be stuck in the same quagmire we just got out of, with all the same questions going forward.  Who will control that region of Syria and Iraq?  Do we want that responsibility?  Who else could be up to it?  The Kurds?  They're hated in much of that land.  The anti-Assad forces?  Who are they, exactly?  The Iraqi gov't?  We won't have a stable, capable partner there for a hundred years.  Hand it back to Assad?  Russia would love that. A coalition of Arab nations?  I got a bridge to sell you.

It may well be that the best thing is to tell them to meet us on the field at the very place they prophesize for Armageddon and meet and beat them in head to head battle.

This is actually a great idea.

Several modern US Christian denominations were founded on apocalyptic prophecies, with details and specific dates, that didn't come true.  For the most part, these faiths just rewrote their theologies and moved on.  Nobody really cared about being wrong.  Seventh Day Adventists are a good example of this.  Point is, I think there's more to it than religious literalism, more than any given article of faith.  A lot of these people are angry at the West for political and economic reasons, so I wouldn't be surprised if they can withstand a failed prophecy or two.

My dad was really into end-times prophecies on the Christian side. I saw so many potential Armageddons pass. The most famous one I remember was 8/8/88.

I was born that day! Haha

Two out of every three of mass shootings in the USA are committed by white males. None have been committed by the 700,000+ refugees since 9/11.

So the answer is obvious -- block white males from entry into the USA!!

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/27/us/mass-shootings/

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

^^As I said, we should proceed from our logic, not theirs.  If our logic tells us it makes sense to put boots on the ground, then we should.  It may be so.  It may well be that the best thing is to tell them to meet us on the field at the very place they prophesize for Armageddon and meet and beat them in head to head battle.  I am saying that we should do that or not based on our own calculations, not on "do the opposite of what they want".  I have no lack of faith we can beat them easily in any direct confrontation.

Certainly agree with all of this, and that's a good way to put it.  We don't reflexively do what they want and we don't reflexively do the opposite of what they want.  We do what we want.  And "what do we want?" in this case is genuinely a tough question.

The problem is that when "Armageddon" comes and goes, and the world doesn't end we're going to be stuck in the same quagmire we just got out of, with all the same questions going forward.  Who will control that region of Syria and Iraq?  Do we want that responsibility?  Who else could be up to it?  The Kurds?  They're hated in much of that land.  The anti-Assad forces?  Who are they, exactly?  The Iraqi gov't?  We won't have a stable, capable partner there for a hundred years.  Hand it back to Assad?  Russia would love that. A coalition of Arab nations?  I got a bridge to sell you.

And this is what makes "what do we want?" in this case a genuinely tough question.

The President of France is tougher than Ohio Governor John Kasich...

http://abcnews.go.com/International/french-president-francois-hollande-welcomes-refugees-paris-attack/story?id=35274658

So was Eleanor Roosevelt...

NYT Archives ‏@NYTArchives  4h4 hours ago

Eleanor Roosevelt on refugees in 1939: “We must not be moved by fear.”

http://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1939/11/29/112728906.html?zoom=16

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

3 Men Charged In Plot to Bomb Black Churches

MON, NOV 16

FBI says three Virginia men were plotting to bombing African American churches. WWBT's Susan Bahorich reports.

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/3-men-charged-in-plot-to-bomb-black-churches-566200387857

If we don't allow immigrants to enter this country, the only immigrants we will have will be illegal immigrants.

Pretty soon we'll have barbed-wire fences with Mexico AND with Canada, with the latter to keep out all of the scary Muslims, Hindus and Buddhists they keep letting in as part of their globalization policy! America must be kept free and Judeo-Christian only! :)

If we don't allow immigrants to enter this country, the only immigrants we will have will be illegal immigrants.

Immigrants via Visas are different than refugees. As an example Cubans get auto benefits set aside just for them, even if they are not citizens.

Conservative costs suggest that to settle a refugee family it costs about 300K. Have fun with your, your kids or grand kind student loan debt.

BTW USA will bring in 80K refugees, regardless of Syrian or not, they might lose their place to African or E. Asian.

Anyway have fun with this. If Cuban makes to usa automatically a refugee from 1967 laws and free chit.

U.S. welfare flows to Cuba

“They’re taking benefits from the American taxpayer to subsidize their life in another country.”

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/us-cuba-welfare-benefits/sfl-us-cuba-welfare-benefits-part-1-htmlstory.html

Cubans retire to Florida – with help from U.S. taxpayers

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/us-cuba-welfare-benefits/sfl-us-cuba-welfare-benefits-part-2-htmlstory.html

Edit

Juan Fleites, who came when he was 62 and never worked in the U.S., is grateful for the help. Now a U.S. citizen, he lives in a government-subsidized apartment and receives SSI and food stamps, saving enough to visit Cuba every two to three months.

“This is the greatest country in the world,” he said.

Lydia Perez worked for 45 years cleaning offices and working in a hotel kitchen but can’t afford to visit her native Dominican Republic. She sees Cuban neighbors in her Hialeah subsidized-housing complex receiving aid and returning to Cuba for visits.

“They come, they get the money, and they go to Cuba,” said Perez, 81. “I see people who have never worked here in the U.S. and have the same things, the same benefits I have, or more.”

Want to know how to defeat ISIS? Embrace their enemies, ALL of their enemies...

"ALL of their enemies" includes Al Qaeda, Bashar al-Assad, Russia, and Iran.  ISIS has no allies.

I meant Muslims. Whatever. You know what I meant. Close enough. Horseshoes. Hand grenades. Government work....

Congressman's poll ends at noon tomorrow...

Dave Joyce ‏@DaveJoyceOH14  1m1 minute ago

What are your thoughts on the #refugeecrisis?

Maintain status quo

Put program on pause

Domestic terrorism continues. Police and Gunman in Shootout at Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/11/28/us/colorado-planned-parenthood-shooting.html

Update: They captured the CO gunman alive? That's good, but if they can capture alive the guy who shot four cops with the AK-47... how about the unarmed black kid?

Update: They captured the CO gunman alive? That's good, but if they can capture alive the guy who shot four cops with the AK-47... how about the unarmed black kid?

Great question.

^ It probably has something to do with the completely different and nearly unrelated scenarios, but then again that's a rather inane question to ask because it compares an actual example to a vague concept of an "unarmed black kid." In this case it's rather obvious why and how the shooter was taken alive. He was surrounded by a militarized police force, complete with assault vehicles, swat teams, building plans, security cameras, etc. who had hours to plan a raid.

Conservative logic:

WAR? Yes!

TORTURE? Absolutely!

EXECUTIONS? Most certainly!

ABORTION? No, I'm pro-life, so let's murder the offending doctors!

Conservative logic:

WAR? Yes!

TORTURE? Absolutely!

EXECUTIONS? Most certainly!

ABORTION? No, I'm pro-life, so let's murder the offending doctors!

Liberal Logic:

Occupy Wall Street! And so lets blow up a bridge!!!!

Doesn't that sound stupid to paint with a broad brush?

Yeah, the FBI was as much an accomplice in that goofy bridge plot by a bunch of beer-swilling kids.

If you agree the FBI was to blame you can feel free to join my militia.

“Just ‘cause you pour syrup on something doesn’t make it pancakes.” –Samuel L. Jackson ‘Juice’

The worldwide struggle against terrorism continues its frustrating battle:

- Over the weekend, Belgian officials captured the last remaining fugitive from last year's Paris attacks:  http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/18/world/paris-attack-salah-abdeslam-fingerprints-capture/

- But this morning, Brussels suffered multiple bombings at its airport and at a subway station:  http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/22/europe/brussels-explosions/

The worldwide struggle against terrorism continues its frustrating battle:

- Over the weekend, Belgian officials captured the last remaining fugitive from last year's Paris attacks:  http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/18/world/paris-attack-salah-abdeslam-fingerprints-capture/

- But this morning, Brussels suffered multiple bombings at its airport and at a subway station:  http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/22/europe/brussels-explosions/

It's not a global struggle. Some choose to look the other way.

You'll note that I said, "The worldwide struggle against terrorism continues its frustrating battle".  And that is the case.

It is a constant worldwide struggle because acts of terror have always occurred around the globe for many reasons:  Northern Ireland, Indonesia, Africa, Israel, Iraq, Russia, London, Paris, Brussels, Canada and United States (to name just a few).

And the frustrating battle refers to the asymmetrical nature of terrorism.  Law enforcement and government agencies are at a disadvantage because all it takes for terrorism to succeed is one successful act out of a thousand.  Unfortunately, all the vigilance can't prevent the next act.

You'll note that I said, "The worldwide struggle against terrorism continues its frustrating battle".  And that is the case.

It is a constant worldwide struggle because acts of terror have always occurred around the globe for many reasons:  Northern Ireland, Indonesia, Africa, Israel, Iraq, Russia, London, Paris, Brussels, Canada and United States (to name just a few).

And the frustrating battle refers to the asymmetrical nature of terrorism.  Law enforcement and government agencies are at a disadvantage because all it takes for terrorism to succeed is one successful act out of a thousand.  Unfortunately, all the vigilance can't prevent the next act.

This was an attack by ISIS not the IRA. And vigilance can work but many people aren't vigilant or don't want to be. Some just look the other way.

Members of my extended work family died today and it makes me sick. I'm tired of these clowns attacking airports and airlines. Cowards kill innocent people.