KJP

Police Use of Force

As it turns out, just another common criminal.  But, he was going to college.

wait - where did this come from?

link?

Whenever an incident like this occurs, conservative media outlets go into overdrive trying to dig up past records, criminal history, school files, facebook posts, twitter feeds, etc.  Not the cop, just the dead kid.  Anyone named Michael Brown in Missouri is feeling a digital probe up his digital arse right now.

With regard to your #2, it looks like here the looting and rioting started after the police deployed the heavy equipment.

There was actually a Twitter or Tumblr feed I saw yesterday (sorry, didn't save the link) in which numerous military veterans were contrasting how the police handled Ferguson to how the soldiers handled urban patrols and counterinsurgency in Iraq and Afghanistan (and even one from Kosovo).  One of them mentioned that one of the lessons they impressed on soldiers early was that "sometimes, your presence alone can make things worse."  This is particularly true for the heavier, more openly military-grade equipment.

I was at OSU for the Spring Game this spring.  I saw a massive armored vehicle parked at the circle by Larkins (or where Larkins was) and the Stadium.  It was really, really jarring.  If I saw that kind of thing in my neighborhood all the time, it would really affect my feelings towards the police department.  Though when you get down to it, I'm generally in favor of scaling back funding for police purchases of military equipment regardless.

Note that a lot of the police militarization (at least with respect to equipment, though I think culture really can be influenced by material possessions) is the result of federal subsidy programs; it can be hard for a police chief to resist accepting heavy equipment when the federal government will practically give it away free, even if he would admit that it would be a waste of money at full price.

I agree that a lot of people are jumping to conclusions with this shooting.  There are countless scenarios in which this shooting could've been justified.  But there must have been something boiling under the surface there in Ferguson for it to erupt like this.  The delayed reports, etc. from the police did not help.  That allowed the narrative to be painted by other witnesses.

To be clear, stealing a pack of cigars and shoving a store clerk is not justification for execution.  That will get you probation at most.  All of that is really beside the point.  The relevant inquiry starts at the point the encounter with the police officer started.  What justified the use of deadly force?  Where was the back-up?

"@CityLab: Ferguson is mostly black. Why is its government so white? http://t.co/d1M9foO9fN via @slate #cityreads"

This seems like a fair enough question. However in regards to why the police department is "so white," we have to ask ourselves is that because of some sort of institutional racism? Or is it part of a more national trend in urban police departments where whites are the majority because of something else, such as the possibility that not enough qualified minority candidates have gone through the training?

Per my understanding, Ferguson has only recently become a minority dominated community.  White flight appears to have hit it hard in the past 10 years and probably greatly accelerated through the recession.  The great majority of the officers were probably hired while the demographics were different.  But, also, you are correct that white applicants for such jobs general outnumber minority applicants.  Much moreso for Fire than Police and EMS, but there is still a fairly sizeable gap.

Yes, I am prejudiced against thugs.  Has nothing to do with color.  It seems to be a phrase I have heard in any number of news reports concerning young people when they do something wrong.  I have no idea what it has to do with anything.  You know nothing of me, to accuse me.

MSNBC is the source.

Yes, over history, gerrymandering, scare tactics are only tools of the Right.  Just ask the black panthers monitoring the polls in Philly.

So the overarching nationwide polices of the GOP are like those of a violent, racist group like the Black Panthers? Oh, and good of you to find the needle in the haystack incident to justify your prejudice which you revealed in your next sentence.

If you have a militarized police force it means you are a Third-World country.

Ever seen the SWAT team equipment that Beachwood has, a very wealthy conservative community outside of Cleveland?  They have vehicles, weapons, gear & training that could take on a Third World country.  Why would a wealthy, low crime community need a setup like this?  Why not I guess...

^Davidson County, NC is what I always think of.  All black cruisers, decked out to the extreme.  All black uniforms with pants tucked into military boots.  That is just the regular everyday turnout gear for their deputies

Yes, I am prejudiced against thugs. 

Think about that for a minute.  It doesn't make sense.  Unless "thugs" for you, like so many others, is simply code-word for young black men.  It has essentially replaced the "N word" in common parlance for several circles of society.

The word prejudice means you pre-judge someone before you know them.  You don't know someone is a 'thug' unless you know them.

If you have a militarized police force it means you are a Third-World country.

Ever seen the SWAT team equipment that Beachwood has, a very wealthy conservative community outside of Cleveland?  They have vehicles, weapons, gear & training that could take on a Third World country.  Why would a wealthy, low crime community need a setup like this?  Why not I guess...

Maybe to maintain their wealthy, low crime community.

Ferguson police officers beat this man – then charged him for getting blood on their uniforms http://t.co/QqHqAVuxuz http://t.co/jpwEQOceLQ

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

Police departments have a lot of imagination.  The "cowboy mentality" that has been pervading through American municipal police forces since inception in the late 19th and early 20th centuries (depending on the city) is not a mirage.  It's their self-cultivated identity.

Police officers, when examined as a group of professionals, have an issue with living within boundaries.  They lobby to destroy other city departments and investments in order to avert their own inevitable budget reductions.  They display zero accountability from city to city, state to state.  Many officers, especially in small towns but certainly in large cities too, are not college graduates and were B-/C students in formal school.  I don't think scholar when I see a cop.  I see an individual whom was not tremendously popular or accepted as a youth that sought respect and found it by joining a gang and walking around with a handgun.  That will get you respect.  This is not every officer, but this element exists within each department.

As for riot resources being an American exercise in the unnecessary, I've seen in person the Brussels police force gear up way more that what happened in St. Louis this week.  Police departments worldwide spare no expense in the intimidation of minorities.

Blood­ is one ­of the most difficult substances to remove once it has stained a fabric, surface, or laundry.

­However, stain removal can be accomplished with some help, usually with everyday items that can be found around the house.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-remove-blood-stains.htm

I don't understand the point of this post. Are you saying beating someone is okay because blood is difficult to get out of a fabric or police over-reacted?

Blood­ is one ­of the most difficult substances to remove once it has stained a fabric, surface, or laundry.

­However, stain removal can be accomplished with some help, usually with everyday items that can be found around the house.

Really?? I mean, REALLLLLY? ? ?

BvF9Qc-CUAArRKZ.jpg:large

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

I had a cousin who did car detailing out in Rapid City. He got a contract to clean the interiors of the local PD's patrol cars. He cleaned blood, vomit, urine all the time. A lot of his employees were felons.

It's not so hard, you just need the right tools & chemistry.

CNN has a live wire here.  We'll be seeing this story as their main headline and scroll for the next several months I'm sure, and probably for the better part of a year until this officer is brought before a jury.  It's the next "Trayvon Martin" case....  how many pages did that thread end up being on this site?

What exactly is a "thug" anyway?  Let's look at the definition:

"Thug, a common criminal, who treats others violently and roughly, often for hire"

By that simple logic, a police officer, a common citizen, and even Vladmir Putin could be considered a "thug."  I somehow doubt you would consider a police officer or Putin to be a thug (maybe the latter; throwing the point out there).  Now, we've seen countless naratives of young African-American males NOT treating others violently or committing crimes called "thugs" in the media (Richard Sherman anyone?). A young black kid stealing Swishers from a convenient store wouldn't apply by any stretch to be considered a "thug."  Ya know, the subject of this thread.  Otherwise, I would've called my old white roommate from Chardon a "thug" for stealing several of those $1 liquor bottles from the store.  But that would be asinine as in neither case were they hired to rough up somebody, by definition. So I ask again, what exactly is your definition of a "thug?" 

Has nothing to do with color.

Of course it does.  In-group/out-group bias is strong in your statements.

It seems to be a phrase I have heard in any number of news reports concerning young black people when they do something wrong.

Fixed it for you.  You can simply Google "Richard Sherman Justin Bieber" to discredit that assertion.

Now I'm not one of those "Michael Brown is innocent" sympathizers but clearly this case is about racial injustice by police forces vs. African-Americans.  I'm with ryanlammi[/member] on this one.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

It is a more compelling story then the two Black Panthers Fox has been running as its lead story for the better part of six years

I'm more afraid of the white lady on the cell phone going to her car than the two "New Black Panthers" chillin' out.

bp_philly.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

What exactly is a "thug" anyway?  Let's look at the definition:

"Thug, a common criminal, who treats others violently and roughly, often for hire"

By that simple logic, a police officer, a common citizen, and even Vladmir Putin could be considered a "thug."  I somehow doubt you would consider a police officer or Putin to be a thug (maybe the latter; throwing the point out there).  Now, we've seen countless naratives of young African-American males NOT treating others violently or committing crimes called "thugs" in the media (Richard Sherman anyone?). A young black kid stealing Swishers from a convenient store wouldn't apply by any stretch to be considered a "thug."  Ya know, the subject of this thread.  Otherwise, I would've called my old white roommate from Chardon a "thug" for stealing several of those $1 liquor bottles from the store.  But that would be asinine as in neither case were they hired to rough up somebody, by definition. So I ask again, what exactly is your definition of a "thug?" 

Has nothing to do with color.

Of course it does.  In-group/out-group bias is strong in your statements.

It seems to be a phrase I have heard in any number of news reports concerning young black people when they do something wrong.

Fixed it for you.  You can simply Google "Richard Sherman Justin Bieber" to discredit that assertion.

Now I'm not one of those "Michael Brown is innocent" sympathizers but clearly this case is about racial injustice by police forces vs. African-Americans.  I'm with ryanlammi[/member] on this one.

Agree 100%, especially about some members of the police force being thugs. Not too long ago, a Staten Island man was suffocated to death because he wouldn't be handcuffed for breaking up a fight. He was sick of being harrassed by police just like anyone else on this forum would be if it were them in the same position. It's easy to go around saying deal with it when you're white and do not have to deal with always being looked at like a target. Do you have to worry about getting pulled over for a 'DWB' (driving while black)? No. You're/We're innocent until proven guilty. I was pulled over one time because I had a black person in my car in Independence and searched for drugs. It's ridiculous.

I'm more afraid of the white lady on the cell phone going to her car than the two "New Black Panthers" chillin' out.

Yet these are probably the same people who argue that someone should be allowed to bring an assault rifle into a restaurant and they're okay with it.

For the record, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of black men killed by the police each and every year. 

I'm not saying any shooting of anyone who's unarmed--black, white or whatever--is ever necessarily justified--but when you engage in this type of hyperbole you just throw more gasoline on the fire--(as tragic as four a month is, it doesn't add up to "hundreds, if not thousands")

And this is from the ultra-liberal Mother Jones--

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/08/police-shootings-michael-brown-ferguson-black-men

The killing of Michael Brown by police in Ferguson, Missouri, was no anomaly: As we reported yesterday, Brown is one of at least four unarmed black men who died at the hands of police in the last month alone. There are many more cases from years past. As Jeffrey Mittman, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union's Missouri chapter put it in a statement of condolence to Brown's family, "Unarmed African-American men are shot and killed by police at an alarming rate. This pattern must stop."

A young black kid stealing Swishers from a convenient store wouldn't apply by any stretch to be considered a "thug."  Ya know, the subject of this thread.  Otherwise, I would've called my old white roommate from Chardon a "thug" for stealing several of those $1 liquor bottles from the store.  But that would be asinine as in neither case were they hired to rough up somebody, by definition. So I ask again, what exactly is your definition of a "thug?" 

If true, I think that the act of Mike Brown pushing the store clerk and acting tough is more of what makes the thug label more realistic. Did your friend get physical with store employees when stealing?

16documents-ferguson1-blog427.jpg

Yet these are probably the same people who argue that someone should be allowed to bring an assault rifle into a restaurant and they're okay with it.

Indeed. Bill Maher had made that point months ago regarding the Clive Bundy/Open-Carry in a Chili's in Fort Worth vs. New Black Panthers.

Please, you know nothing about me, nor how I feel.  Don't try to infer that color has anything to do with what I said. 

When you find some evidence in the shooting itself, that it is clearly racial injustice, let me know.  So far, that evidence hasn't come out.

If true, I think that the act of Mike Brown pushing the store clerk and acting tough is more of what makes the thug label more realistic. Did your friend get physical with store employees when stealing?

He got physical when he got caught the second time at the carry-out on 4th & 4th (those in Columbus know about that weird intersection/liquor store).  He shoved the cashier and then proceeded to leave (aka flee the scene).  I don't know if the cashier called the cops or not but they should've; just like the above scenario with Michael Brown.

I still fail to see how in either case the young adult is a "common criminal," let along a "thug."

Stop digging a hole for yourself, Bosco.

For the record, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of black men killed by the police each and every year. 

I'm not saying any shooting of anyone who's unarmed--black, white or whatever--is ever necessarily justified--but when you engage in this type of hyperbole you just throw more gasoline on the fire--(as tragic as four a month is, it doesn't add up to "hundreds, if not thousands")

And this is from the ultra-liberal Mother Jones--

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/08/police-shootings-michael-brown-ferguson-black-men

The killing of Michael Brown by police in Ferguson, Missouri, was no anomaly: As we reported yesterday, Brown is one of at least four unarmed black men who died at the hands of police in the last month alone. There are many more cases from years past. As Jeffrey Mittman, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union's Missouri chapter put it in a statement of condolence to Brown's family, "Unarmed African-American men are shot and killed by police at an alarming rate. This pattern must stop."

a) I wasn't referring to only 'unarmed' individuals.  A guy could have a gun or knife or box-cutter or any number of "weapons" in his pocket and be considered "armed" for the purposes of such statistics.

b) perhaps you should look to the much more conservative USA Today for stats you can believe. This report is limited to white officer, black suspect.... another limitation lacking from my comment - http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/08/14/police-killings-data/14060357/

Funny how the it changes when you tell the whole story.

Steal something?  Push someone down trying to stop you?  Then you are a common criminal.  Period.  Doesn't mean you deserve to get shot, just means you can be considered dangerous and MIGHT get shot if you do something more while being apprehended.  So far, this is all the evidence says.

Hate to break it to you, but your friend had to be somewhat of a piece of sh!t to go steal and get physical with a store employee. Is it really that hard to pay? Especially when you said it only cost $1? And why did he have to get physical? Your friendship could possibly be blinding you.

Why does his race or the fact that he was from Chardon matter to you? My highschool was mostly white and we had plenty of thugs, all white, and most people referred to them as thugs. Acting like the word Thug is a replacement for the N-word is ridiculous and is used by people who want to cause trouble.

Please, you know nothing about me, nor how I feel.

First statement is correct.  I don't know you, though ironically you don't know Michael Brown but you suggested he was a "thug" and a common criminal (with no criminal history to even be considered a common criminal).  The second statement is not correct.  You stated the following:

Yes, over history, gerrymandering, scare tactics are only tools of the Right.  Just ask the black panthers monitoring the polls in Philly.

You made your position quite clear.

Don't try to infer that color has anything to do with what I said.

You did that, not I.  You inserted the Black Panthers (which no one in this thread was talking about) in your counterpoint at the suggestion that gerrymandering are tools of the right.  There are many scare-tactics of the Left that you could've named without involving race but you chose Black Panther, a general boogeyman of the American right.  Thus, In-group/out-group bias.

When you find some evidence in the shooting itself, that it is clearly racial injustice, let me know.  So far, that evidence hasn't come out.

Which is the problem itself.  The silence of the police department and the hyper-defensiveness versus peaceful protesters and journalists at a McDonald's speaks volumes.  When I say clearly this is about injustice between police and African-Americans, you can turn on any news channel and see all the Sean Bell stories rehashed all over.  But you are right, no one knows what happened during the shooting until all the evidence is out.

Acting like the word Thug is a replacement for the N-word is ridiculous and is used by people who want to cause trouble.

You can find countless commentaries on this subject by people who have no interest in causing trouble, but just call it like they see it - http://friendsofjustice.wordpress.com/2014/01/23/mathews-thug-is-the-new-n-word-the-criminalization-of-richard-sherman/

Hate to break it to you, but your friend had to be somewhat of a piece of sh!t to go steal and get physical with a store employee. Is it really that hard to pay? Especially when you said it only cost $1? And why did he have to get physical? Your friendship could possibly be blinding you.

He was my college roommate.  I never said he was a good friend, that he wasn't a piece of sh!t, or that it blinded me.  I haven't spoken with him in over a decade.  I just offered a story.  And why did he have to get physical?  The same reason kids get violent when you take toys away from them: primitive human nature.

Why does his race or the fact that he was from Chardon matter to you? My highschool was mostly white and we had plenty of thugs, all white, and most people referred to them as thugs. Acting like the word Thug is a replacement for the N-word is ridiculous and is used by people who want to cause trouble.

You can't be that ignorant.  This is UrbanOhio, not Pleasantville. Even the American right can acknowledge the media's code word of "thug" = "young black men doing bad things."

Coldayman, I did not bring up all the gerrymandering, or issues preventing minorities from voting.  So I said black panthers in regards to that.  Race is what was being referred to.  What would be scare tactics of the left?  Letting dead people vote doesn't scare me!

You're right, there is no criminal history, but he stole and pushed the clerk, and did something to the police officer that got himself shot.  That is my definition of a common criminal and thug.  Whatever that means to you.  If some white kid did the same, I would refer to him the same.

^You might, but most of the rest of society would refer to him as a "troubled" or "misguided" youth

And, same as with the police officer, we don't know what Brown exactly did.  We don't know for sure what happened in that store or what happened when he encountered the police.  Maybe he stole something, maybe he didn't.  If I hadn't stolen anything and some store clerk tried to block me from leaving the store, I might react similarly and I hope it wouldn't make me a "thug."  Don't blame others for jumping to conclusions if you are guilty of the same.

Coldayman, I did not bring up all the gerrymandering, or issues preventing minorities from voting.  So I said black panthers in regards to that.  Race is what was being referred to.  What would be scare tactics of the left?  Letting dead people vote doesn't scare me!

But two New Black Panthers outside a polling venue in Philadelphia does?  I'd be more scared of the lady leaving the polling venue with the cell phone, knowing she's going to get in her car and drive (which is illegal in Philadelphia).  You offered a defensive, corresponding response about race and therefore when stating:

Don't try to infer that color has anything to do with what I said.

...become contradictory.

You're right, there is no criminal history, but he stole and pushed the clerk, and did something to the police officer that got himself shot.  That is my definition of a common criminal and thug.  Whatever that means to you.  If some white kid did the same, I would refer to him the same.

I'll take you on your word (as I don't know you) that if a white kid did the general same thing that you would call them a "thug."  That doesn't mean I don't have my doubts.  Generally, when young adults do random stupid things, people don't call them "thugs" but "idiots."

Calling Sherman a thug was stupid. But Ive never personally heard Bieber be called a misguided kid. I have heard him called a piece of sh!t, gay(as an insult), a$$hole, thug, etc. There was even petition to deport him.

Hilariously, the person stating Justin Bieber "He's just misguided right now" was none other than fellow misguided kid Chris Brown.

http://www.examiner.com/article/chris-brown-defends-justin-bieber-he-s-just-misguided

I'll take you on your word (as I don't know you) that if a white kid did the general same thing that you would call them a "thug."  That doesn't mean I don't have my doubts.  Generally, when young adults do random stupid things, people don't call them "thugs" but "idiots."

It means little to me if you take my word or have doubts.  Really doesn't matter.  I said something because I read it as a race issue being implied.  You are right about random stupid things, I would call the kids idiots. Most kids do some idiotic things in their lives.  Now, when they get caught, if they cause physical harm to the person catching them, they might become thugs.

Let's just drop it and wait to hear the results.

Most kids do some idiotic things in their lives.  Now, when they get caught, if they cause physical harm to the person catching them, they might become thugs.

"Might" or "Are?"  Because you want from "prejudiced against thugs" (implying that Michael Brown is, in fact, a thug) to "they might become thugs."  That's quite a switch.

Now, you can "drop it" but this thread exists so I doubt that will occur.

Calling Sherman a thug was stupid. But Ive never personally heard Bieber be called a misguided kid. I have heard him called a piece of sh!t, gay(as an insult), a$$hole, thug, etc. There was even petition to deport him.

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/on-the-record/2014/01/25/greta-im-sorry-richard-sherman-biebers-real-thug

http://wifc.com/news/articles/2013/may/16/carly-rae-jepsen-says-justin-bieber-is-passionate-and-hard-working-not-misguided/

Even Chris Brown (probably a 'thug' himself in many people's books) is guilty of it - http://www.examiner.com/article/chris-brown-defends-justin-bieber-he-s-just-misguided

To be clear, I don't think Bieber is a thug.  Far from it, according to my own definition of the term.  Thugs generally don't have or need bodyguards.  That said, a lot of white America really dislikes Bieber right now.  It all started about the time he starting hanging around all those "Lil'-Whatever" rappers..... who, btw, are far from thugs themselves.

Let's just drop it and wait to hear the results.

Now that I agree with. Nothing good will come out of this discussion. More likely to cause fights on here than anything. Might as well lock this thread for awhile and let things cool down. Wait for actual news.

There isn't any insulting or trolling aka no need to lock this thread.  Just opposing discussion, nothing more.  Otherwise, we'd shut down half the threads in City Discussion if it meant different viewpoints being discussed in a quick fashion.

Just a thought. Does anyone think the popularity of the word thug in rap/hip hop has anything to do with the word being used to describe blacks more than whites? There are more examples than I could possibly list here of either rappers themselves (Slim Thug, Bone Thugs) or their lyrics that use the word thug to describe themselves and or their actions.  If the word was popularized by rap and hip hop, who is really to blame for the mental association people have with the word?

A young black kid stealing Swishers from a convenient store wouldn't apply by any stretch to be considered a "thug."

Having seen the recently-released video, what he did (assuming it's Brown in the video) was pretty "thuggish". (He didn't just shoplift, but shoved the shop-keeper who confronted him on the way out the door, then as the guy moved to follow him he turned around and moved toward him menacingly.) Though that info was not out there until very recently. And these details are not actually relevant to the way the cop behaved (especially since there was no weapon brandished in the store).

Agreed.

Accusing someone of being a bigot or racist isn't insulting in your book?

There isn't any insulting or trolling aka no need to lock this thread.  Just opposing discussion, nothing more.  Otherwise, we'd shut down half the threads in City Discussion if it meant different viewpoints being discussed in a quick fashion.

Just a thought. Does anyone think the popularity of the word thug in rap/hip hop has anything to do with the word being used to describe blacks more than whites? There are more examples than I could possibly list here of either rappers themselves (Slim Thug, Bone Thugs) or their lyrics that use the word thug to describe themselves and or their actions.  If the word was popularized by rap and hip hop, who is really to blame for the mental association people have with the word?

Right, when I was growing up and heard "thug" I thought of white guys with stubbly beards, driving caps pulled down over their eyes, flipping a coin in their hand while leaning up a brick wall. They called people "Mac" and "ya mugs".