Sign in to follow this  
KJP

Police Use of Force

This is how the mostly white Ferguson police force responded to protests after they killed #MikeBrown.

10455364_10152212733471300_7405589484877278476_n.jpg?oh=1faf0dc76101be66a4b7bdb6615f35a6&oe=5465FD90

This is what a REAL police officer looks like SERVING & PROTECTING his community. Bravo to State Police Captain Ron Johnson in #Ferguson! Keep marching and stay strong brothers and sisters of #Ferguson!#JusticeforMikeBrown

10411218_10152213387326300_381465408699662094_n.jpg

Totally different scenarios, one in the middle of day, another at night after protesters turned violent.  Don't forget the police are under attack.  Over 2 dozen police cars have been destroyed, dozens of officers have been attacked & injured by rocks & even gunshots.  Everywhere you look, people have tagged "FTP" which is "F_  the Police". 

Totally different scenarios, one in the middle of day, another at night after protesters turned violent.  Don't forget the police are under attack.  Over 2 dozen police cars have been destroyed, dozens of officers have been attacked & injured by rocks & even gunshots.  Everywhere you look, people have tagged "FTP" which is "F_  the Police". 

Try living in a community where you have no voice and are constantly under siege by a militarized police force that treats you as a second-class citizen. Until you do, you couldn't possibly try to understand the citizens of this oppressed community who decided to respond with the only voice they had. Frankly, I'm impressed they showed so much restraint.

EDIT: and if your "blame the oppressed" viewpoints are typical of white conservatives in this country, then Ferguson will be remembered as a mild, opening battle in a civil war among the classes and races in America. I'm surprised it's taken this long. Heck, I was beginning to think the only thing that would cause a revolt in this country was a beer truck strike.

^^Where are you finding these numbers? Sick of these generic articles that I keep coming across that are just skewed one way or another, or Reuters/AP copy.

CNN this morning interviewed the Chief of Ferguson Police.  He gave those numbers when Chris Cuomo asked him about the militarized response. 

Try living in a community where you have no voice and are constantly under siege by a militarized police force that treats you as a second-class citizen. Until you do, you couldn't possibly try to understand the citizens of this oppressed community who decided to respond with the only voice they had. Frankly, I'm impressed they showed so much restraint.

Keep waging the class war KJP,  because rioting and looting a Walmart and burning down a gas station is the way to equality... 

Keep waging the class war KJP,  because rioting and looting a Walmart and burning down a gas station is the way to equality... 

I'm not waging it. I'm watching it.

You don't think that the police have been a little too quick to pull triggers on black men recently? Black men who have time and time again been unarmed with no criminal record? And if they police do it that means citizens can do it too right?

I'm not waging it. I'm watching it.

The Class War meme only works on low information individuals.  There has been an avalanche of evidence based economic studies this past year or so that have detailed exactly what is going on economically in this country.

The Class war is being waged on the 99% and these people, in the bottom third of the 99% are really being hit hard. 

I tire of this looting response as well but these people are poor, frustrated, and have been dealing with this situation in their community for a long time.  I'm not sure how you raise education, awareness and quality of life enough in communities like these to stop it when abuses of force that is murder occurs within their borders.

I think there are alot of issues at play here in the Ferguson situation.  Racial inequality, a police force that doesn't represent its citizens, an unjustified killing, and a lot of outsiders, including those in the media, trying to exploit the situation.  How much of the rioting & violence is actual acting out due to the oppression and how much is just acting up for the camera trucks which are now on every corner of the town?  The truth will come out, the officer will be charged & convicted of wrongful death, but what will really change for the residents of Ferguson? 

I don't think this is a justifiable reaction to maintain the peace when the protests are about the police acting with general impunity.  The militarization of local police is the single most compelling reason, in my estimation, to support the second amendment.

Rand Paul: We Must Demilitarize the Police

Sen. Rand Paul @SenRandPaul

http://time.com/3111474/rand-paul-ferguson-police/

How many blacks murder other blacks? Anyone thinks the cop got up in the morning, gotta kill me a young black guy today.

Probably at least as many whites who murder whites. Or other ethnic groups murdering within their own groups. That's not even close to the point. The point is that police are supposed to make us feel safer. Police operate at the behest of elected officials. And elected officials often operate at the behest of wealthy campaign contributors. Of course this is over-simplification. But when a community is largely populated with a minority group but their elected officials are mostly white as is the police force, then a reasonable conclusion is that the people are not being represented by those overseeing them. That's when frustrations bubble up and boil over when the lid is taken off by a police officer killing an unarmed kid with no history of trouble.

No, what he's saying is, people only get upset when it is white on black shootings.  There has been nothing proven as yet, the only evidence from the police reports says that someone was actually fighting in the police car for the officer's gun. If true, that should get you shot every time!  The "other person", the only eyewitness said "he was innocent".  Everyone says they are innocent! 

Pictures of people lighting Molotov cocktails is always good for a peaceful protest.

No, what he's saying is, people only get upset when it is white on black shootings.  There has been nothing proven as yet, the only evidence from the police reports says that someone was actually fighting in the police car for the officer's gun. If true, that should get you shot every time!  The "other person", the only eyewitness said "he was innocent".  Everyone says they are innocent! 

Pictures of people lighting Molotov cocktails is always good for a peaceful protest.

You're assuming the police officer didn't make up the story to justify his actions. Sorry, but I've seen too many cops who assume the worst from minorities, and some of the comments in this thread show that some of you feel the same way as they do. You folks scare me and make me realize how bad things have gotten in this country.

Once a black police officer (the chief of the state police) showed up to take command, the protests got very peaceful. He led the protest parade himself. Why did it get peaceful? Because the people felt like they were being respected as people. Isn't that amazing how that works? Stop telling people how they should feel. Go listen to them, ESPECIALLY if you can't understand why they do what they do. Anything else just makes things worse.

Yep, this. You also never see violent protests when a black cop takes down another black person.

Kyle, I realize this is an emotional subject, but we're not going to call someone else stupid. Instead, if you really care about what someone's response was to you, ask him why he said it.

Wow, what a mess. You can highlight almost every single one of our country's major problems on display here.

Two points, one to impugn both sides:

1) If your response to this event is to loot businesses in your neighborhood (likely owned by your neighbors), you're a complete fool. Protesting and marching, that makes sense. Breaking a window and stealing as many bottles of wine that you can carry? That shows some true ignorance and opportunism and does nothing to improve things in your community.

2) I think we have a newer generation of police officers that are even more anxious to use force, even when unnecessary. After all, they're being recruiting using the following types of videos:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2014/05/05/another-troubling-police-recruiting-video/

Scary stuff.

Kyle, I realize this is an emotional subject, but we're not going to call someone else stupid. Instead, if you really care about what someone's response was to you, ask him why he said it.

What he did was straight crap. You know it and I know it. Sometimes you gotta call it out. I did.

What he did was straight crap. You know it and I know it. Sometimes you gotta call it out. I did.

No, he was calling YOU out. You should've known it.

And so is Bill Maher (this is from THREE WEEKS AGO)........

BvCsSlsIYAApM1n.jpg:large

This was Thursday.  The City of St Louis police took over for the County of St Louis police. 

The riot and lawlessness and chaos was about horrible police leadership.  Not about white vs. black.  There are dozens of photos of St Louis City police (white and black) today who have been marching with protestors or working with them peacefully.  The militarization of police doesn't help, and neither does the old school system of policing.  You bad, me good. Relationships, understanding, trust, openness, etc. is what is lacking in a poorly managed, poorly trained suburban police force not accustomed to dealing with diverse groups of people, especially in emotional and highly charged circumstances such as after the fatal shooting of an unarmed teen followed by an intense, over the top police response.

"@CityLab: Ferguson is mostly black. Why is its government so white? http://t.co/d1M9foO9fN via @slate #cityreads"

In other words, democracy doesnt always ,, the poor.

or, democracies doesn't always serve the people who don't participate.

It would be nice if it were that simple. Just because you are legally allowed to vote, doesn't guarantee that you can. Lack of physical access to polls, gerrymandering, and scare tactics to prevent minorities from voting have proven disgustingly effective at reducing minority participation. Nor can you choose who appears on the ballot. A corrupt political machine does that for you. And sometimes the most frustrating thing is that so many are complicit in it by being so dismissive about it. A human being can only take so much. But that anger and frustration needs to be focused more productively by leaders who have yet to emerge.

Anytime there is unrest, some idiots will take advantage of it.  I would bet that 95% or more of people descending on Ferguson are engaging in peaceful protests.  Some news outlets will probably choose to nearly entirely focus on the other 5% because that is what their viewers want to see.

For the record, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of black men killed by the police each and every year.  Please stop acting like there is a public outcry each and every time it happens.  There isn't and nobody can debate that.  The vast majority of the shootings are justified and even some of the ones which are not do not get any attention.

Ironically, the same people who are shouting down at these protesters are the same ones who were cheering on Cliven Bundy and his militia as they pointed high-powered firearms at federal officials and engaged in their own form of lawlessness.  I can't figure out what is different, other than in this situation we are dealing with a dead kid and the police in Nevada actually backed off for whatever reason

"@CityLab: Ferguson is mostly black. Why is its government so white? http://t.co/d1M9foO9fN via @slate #cityreads"

In other words, democracy doesnt always ,, the poor.

or, democracies doesn't always serve the people who don't participate.

It would be nice if it were that simple. Just because you are legally allowed to vote, doesn't guarantee that you can. Lack of physical access to polls, gerrymandering, and scare tactics to prevent minorities from voting have proven disgustingly effective at reducing minority participation. Nor can you choose who appears on the ballot. A corrupt political machine does that for you. And sometimes the most frustrating thing is that so many are complicit in it by being so dismissive about it. A human being can only take so much. But that anger and frustration needs to be focused more productively by leaders who have yet to emerge.

I am an uber privileged white Protestant male sitting on top of the world here.

No white can be elected in my state districts & my congressional district is pretty much locked up by White Catholics

But I can get an absentee ballot without a drivers license just fine.

I just don't put much ink on it.

Ironically, the same people who are shouting down at these protesters are the same ones who were cheering on Cliven Bundy and his militia as they pointed high-powered firearms at federal officials and engaged in their own form of lawlessness.  I can't figure out what is different, other than in this situation we are dealing with a dead kid and the police in Nevada actually backed off for whatever reason

You have no evidence of this.

Yes, over history, gerrymandering, scare tactics are only tools of the Right.  Just ask the black panthers monitoring the polls in Philly.

As it turns out, just another common criminal.  But, he was going to college.

You have no evidence of this.

Yes, over history, gerrymandering, scare tactics are only tools of the Right.  Just ask the black panthers monitoring the polls in Philly.

As it turns out, just another common criminal.  But, he was going to college.

Ugh I get so sick of Republican VS Democrats. As long as there are only two popular parties, there will always be corruption. Both platforms have valid political points and both are full of self-serving people. That's the way that it is. As long as corporations are buying politicians, we will have issues.

As it turns out, just another common criminal.

Incorrect.

I just heard on the radio, that there are pictures of him, stealing cigars and pushing the clerk.  The man was 6'4 and 300#.  The policeman who shot him was sent to the hospital for head wounds.

If I am wrong, I apologize.