Sign in to follow this  
Guest Eridony

Columbus: Random Photos

160121888.djQIcuQb.jpg

This block has come up on some endangered buildings list recently.

"The Macon" this was a very popular nite club in the 80s and 90s. I was not "old enough" to enjoy this place but my father also owned a niteclub around the corner from here and he knew the owner so I would sneak in the back door with him when I was still in HS and the place used to be really nice inside. Lots of live jazz bands and soul food! I will have to look through some of my parents old photo albums and see if I can find some pics they took inside The Macon!

this was the macon lounge right? pretty sure this is where i saw hank marr back in the 1980s. i was lucky enough to see him again a bit later at an outdoor festival when i moved to columbus before he passed. a legend in jazz.

Mmm...Raising Canes...

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

So this is a screenshot but I figured this was the best place for it.

Like any normal person I usually use Google Maps, but I wanted to use Bing to look the Bird's Eye View of the building the Dispatch is moving to. Well before I even zoomed in far enough I noticed not one, but two buildings misnamed on the map. I'm sure I don't need to point out what's wrong here.

19372783000_6a687f0dec_b.jpgGet It Together Bing by Brandon Bartoszek, on Flickr

Also, the neighborhood name is wrong too.

Like any normal person I usually use Google Maps, but I wanted to use Bing to look the Bird's Eye View of the building the Dispatch is moving to. Well before I even zoomed in far enough I noticed not one, but two buildings misnamed on the map. I'm sure I don't need to point out what's wrong here.

I don't see anything wrong.  But mahalo to you for posting it anyway!

I'd trade John Kasich for a palm tree.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Mmm...Raising Canes...

I was thinking the same thing! First thing that pops in my head when I see the Buckeye Store

Jeez, OSU needs to work on their branding if a Buckeye store just makes people think of an unrelated restaurant. Time to crank up the "The" business and poke at OU again I guess. That National Championship wasn't enough to offset the Cane's Sauce.

Nothing offsets the Cane's sauce.  Nothing.

Man, that's a shot from long ago...last year...

That'd be 90% of your photo threads.

That last one is awesome.  Love how the Nationwide Arena spotlight sneaks in there.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2015 at 12:33 PM, Eridony said:

I know this isn't story time but this shot made me think about it..... I think it happened in the late 80s, it was either someone washing the windows or it was an actual suicide attempt. But I can remember being downtown with my mom and someone fell thru that glass atrium at Huntington Bank in this pic. Not sure if the person died or not..... does anyone else remember that?

Edited by yubh8tin

I recently stumbled across @AndySpessard on Twitter. He takes some amazing pictures of the city. If you are on Twitter I would highly suggest following him. Below are a few recent shots of his that are pretty cool. 

DxCLXLnUwAAWsgd.jpg:large

Dus_RDpXgAEGXwL.jpg:large

Drlz6K5X0AAJEt-.jpg:large

• Like 5

The sun and mild temps are melting away the remnants of last week's polar vortex and follow-up 6 inch snowfall.  So here are a few pics I found around the web of last week's 2019 Winterpocalypse.

This first one looks rather pleasant.  It's a wintry nighttime view of McFerson Commons in the Arena District downtown.  This one was actually taken before the polar vortex lowered the temps into the extremely unpleasant range.  But its a beauty of a shot from https://www.reddit.com/r/Columbus/comments/ai54j3/since_were_posting_pictures_i_took_this_last/ - which has a larger version of this image:

46984241751_2b80fe9445_b_d.jpg

That was such a pleasant urban winter setting.  Unfortunately, once the 6 inches of snowfall blew in, it made it different to travel anywhere.  Especially if some drivers believed that cleaning the snow from all your car windows was optional!  This image came from https://www.reddit.com/r/Columbus/comments/am2ahp/hey_dumby_clean_you_fking_car/

46070302545_b49daecd7e_b_d.jpg

And finally - it was so cold and snowy, that even the WWI solider statue at Ohio Statehouse looked like he was freezing!  This photo was one of many wintry views from https://www.dispatch.com/news/20190201/snow-moves-in-after-polar-vortex-moves-out

46070298275_dd0e1003f4_b_d.jpg