Sign in to follow this  
Guest Eridony

Columbus: Random Photos

That's part of Nationwide Boulevard west of the portion the Arena District where the last 15 years of redevelopment has been occurring.  It's about 5 blocks west of Nationwide Arena and 2 blocks west of the Huntington Park ballpark.

The Arena District projects thread has a December 2014 article about the planned projects for this area HERE and some context on this area HERE.

Yes, two of the projects will be a reuse of the old municipal light plant seen here

17503474591_9a98ca03e8_b.jpgColumbus Municipal Light Plant by Brandon Bartoszek, on Flickr

16885845023_01fd5292d9_b.jpgColumbus Municipal Light Plant - Original Section by Brandon Bartoszek, on Flickr

As well as a private development replacing this city maintenance building

17506753825_ff80e3d77e_b.jpgColumbus Central Outpost by Brandon Bartoszek, on Flickr

I'm sure those two projects will encourage more development in that adjacent area seen in my previous picture.

The Ohio Village Muffins playing vintage baseball in Schiller Park.

17384117005_1176191a5a_b.jpgMuffins in Motion by Brandon Bartoszek, on Flickr

16764554393_8befe685bd_b.jpgDignified Umpire by Brandon Bartoszek, on Flickr

17197051658_2d1b790f9f_b.jpgUnderhanded by Brandon Bartoszek, on Flickr

16762984314_bc41e6a4b4_b.jpgAnachronistic Sports by Brandon Bartoszek, on Flickr

17392620792_6353461124_b.jpgPrancing to Victory by Brandon Bartoszek, on Flickr

17394678031_e6f6c7bc42_b.jpgBase Ball in Schiller Park by Brandon Bartoszek, on Flickr

The Muffins?!?!

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

160121884.jpg

I can sort of remember back in the early 80s my grandma and I walking to this building from Ohio Ave. It was a small corner store with a butcher in the back!

(I'm getting this info second and third hand from family members and what little I could verify on-line - so the exact dates might be off:)

The six-story Beacon Building at the corner of Front & Gay opened in 1956 as the offices for Beacon Insurance.  In the 1970's Beacon Insurance was either bought by or merged with Nationwide Insurance and they no longer needed the building.  The city bought the building and has used it for city office space since then.

Interestingly, the city offices will leave the Beacon Building when a new city office building is completed across the street in 2017.  At which point the Beacon Building will be sold by the city and go back on the open market.  Maybe it'll become insurance offices again.  But more likely it will be converted to residential.

That Beacon sign is cool..

Here's a close-up view of the sign from an interesting WOSU photo-thread: http://wosu.org/2012/capturecolumbus/vintage-signs-of-columbus/

2429078745_32afab6352_b1-1000x665.jpg

Looking forward to the return of Summer.

11817842683_c2473db455_b.jpgDowntown Columbus by Eridony, on Flickr

Brandon, I just saw that a shot of yours very similar to this one is being used by the Yahoo! Weather app.

Thanks for letting me know. I actually have several pictures in the Yahoo Weather group, which is where the app gets its pictures.

160121888.djQIcuQb.jpg

This block has come up on some endangered buildings list recently.

"The Macon" this was a very popular nite club in the 80s and 90s. I was not "old enough" to enjoy this place but my father also owned a niteclub around the corner from here and he knew the owner so I would sneak in the back door with him when I was still in HS and the place used to be really nice inside. Lots of live jazz bands and soul food! I will have to look through some of my parents old photo albums and see if I can find some pics they took inside The Macon!

^I'd love to see those photos!

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

I'd wish they'd light up Vern Riffe's crown better.  Great shots.

Didn't have much time to get out and shoot while I was in Columbus (it doesn't help that I'm not terribly familiar with the city's neighborhoods), but I still grabbed a few pictures from over the weekend. Not quite enough for its own thread, so I'm putting them here.

010_zpsltwttih4.jpg

020_zpsehtzhjhb.jpg

044_zpswbpychaa.jpg

074_zpsuawu1nmj.jpg

104-2_zpsargm48fk.jpg

103_zpsbwagj5rs.jpg

108-2_zpsb7u3afxn.jpg

096-2_zpsdkiiiji5.jpg

132_zpstfjhbi4h.jpg

135-2_zpswflbsmvw.jpg

134-2_zpsuugsll7l.jpg

137-2_zpsg8nai0bx.jpg

“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

^ That covered a lot of ground.  From the Wexner Center to the Zoo to Jack Hanna at the Buckeye Country Superfest (or whatever it was called) at the Shoe to the Short North and Downtown.  You got around.

Indeed.  Nice shots.

Wow. The bomb squad has a very nice building. No expense was spared on that sign too.

I know! We could have had a couple of streetcar lines with the money spent there!

This was among the pics posted on Twitter...

Abby ‏@abby_kunze  1h1 hour ago

downtown celebrating USA

CJCcCw6WEAA1HuM.jpg:large

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz