SixthCity

Cleveland: Downtown: nuCLEus

2 hours ago, ASPhotoman said:

Agreed. This is my biggest problem with the design. There are so many creative ways out there to add facades to decks. In the retail alley, I wish they would put up some sort of artwork covering the deck like it looks Church and State will do. 

Parking garages are best built underground. In my travels to Dallas ive noticed that alot of their garages are underground and out of sight

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MyTwoSense said:

Without a hotel component........  

kid fury gay GIF

And hopefully a hotel of some size.  Expand the CC, move IX Center functions downtown and build a 400-500 room hotel in conjunction with Nucleus

• Love 1

24 minutes ago, B767PILOT said:

Parking garages are best built underground. In my travels to Dallas ive noticed that alot of their garages are underground and out of sight

Where exactly in Dallas?  I don't find that to be true.  But we may be thinking of different areas.

13 minutes ago, MyTwoSense said:

Where exactly in Dallas?  I don't find that to be true.  But we may be thinking of different areas.

Downtown...and this is jusy my limited observation

51 minutes ago, inlovewithCLE said:

I’m just so happy that this thing looks like it may finally get done that I’m not going to nitpick. Nucleus is really going to be transformational

See, I'm not OK with "just getting it done".  I see that as problematic down the line.  Example:  The Cleveland Rapid.  Example the river side of Tower City, where there was to be NM, plus two residential towers.

I don't think its trans-formative without a hotel and ensuring the retail included book ends with the Old Arcade.  What I define as "transformative" would be the current buildings, plus condos/coops and a hotel.  That would be a game changer.  That would be a plus for Gateway, East 4th and lower Euclid. 

He teased us with a grand project, but for whatever reasons, most likely💰💰, this is just another building. I'm glad a development is being built, as there is less and less open development space in downtown, but I'm tired of seeing half-assed projects.

Edited by MyTwoSense
Typos 🤦🏽‍♂️
  • Like 6
  • Love 3

1 minute ago, B767PILOT said:

Downtown...and this is jusy my limited observation

I was thinking of buying an apartment in Downtown Dallas, most of there parking is street level/at grade.  I was thinking of buying a unit across from Klyde Warren park, the museum Tower and a few other buildings that came with a parking space.  Most of buildings I saw are built on pedestals.

back to nucleus......

6 minutes ago, MyTwoSense said:

See, I'm not OK with "just getting it done".  I see that as problematic down the line.  Example:  The Cleveland Rapid.  Example the river side of Tower City, where there was to be NM, plus two residential towers.

I don't think its trans-formative without a hotel and ensuring the retail included book ends with the Old Arcade.  What I define as "transformative" would be the current buildings, plus condos/coops and a hotel.  That would be a game changer.  That would be a plus for Gateway, East 4th and lower Euclid. 

He teased us with a grand project, but for whatever reasons, most likely💰💰, this is just another building. I'm glad a development is being built, as there is less and less open development space in downtown, but I'm tired of see half assed projects.

My god, YES.  I know its other peoples money but for once I would like to see a grand project be built - outside the box- visionary - future looking.  Risky for sure but the pay-off could be incalcuable

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ASPhotoman said:

Agreed. This is my biggest problem with the design. There are so many creative ways out there to add facades to decks. In the retail alley, I wish they would put up some sort of artwork covering the deck like it looks Church and State will do. 

💯. Not only the aesthetics from the lane way, but also sound. If some sort of covering could deflect the noise of vehicles in the garage it would be a major plus.

• Like 4

"He teased us with a grand project, but for whatever reasons, most likely, this is just another building. I'm glad a development is being built, as there is less and less open development space in downtown, but I'm tired of seeing half-assed projects."

It comes down to their ability (or inability) to execute the vision flawlessly.

I simply don't have confidence that the project will be well executed. I still see issues with the Beacon that should have been remedied and it would appear that residents are already moving in.  They're simple, unresolved issues that if addressed, would significantly improve the quality of the finished project.

Edited by Frmr CLEder
  • Like 1

I don't know....2 million square feet is a grand project to me. It's larger than anything currently planned, including Sherwin-Williams HQ+R&D, The Centennial and possibly even the Justice Center (courthouse tower only). Of course, it's still just a grand idea. It won't be a grand project until it sees construction. 

• Like 7

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

15 minutes ago, KJP said:

I don't know....2 million square feet is a grand project to me. It's larger than anything currently planned, including Sherwin-Williams HQ+R&D, The Centennial and possibly even the Justice Center (courthouse tower only). Of course, it's still just a grand idea. It won't be a grand project until it sees construction. 

I mean really you can think of this building as building a comp for downtown. You can expect better designs to come as rents become higher and completing capital stacks become easier. But there always need to be the first few pioneers to create that "comp" if you will.

First we had a building get built on an existing parking deck, then one heavily subsidized by a non profit not trying to necessarily make a return. This is one more step in a positive direction if it gets completed. 

• Like 5

On 10/26/2019 at 2:17 PM, shack said:

Never noticed the pink bars until someone here pointed it out and I struggled to find them in person. I don't think they are such a big deal or the garage interface. Its part of the eclectic (or eccentric) quality of the building that I find so interesting. There's an off center, paradigm shift setting theme that runs throughout the exterior of the building. 

Are you certain it's larger than the Centennial?  Each floor is huge, and it's twenty stories - not that much shorter.

11 hours ago, B767PILOT said:

You right that IDEALLY PARKING GARAGES should be built UNDERGROUND as much as possible!

BUT it's alot more expensive to build UNDERGROUND then above ground and with so tight of a building budget ALREADY there is no extra money to do so.

Now in case of where they have to build piles like The Lumen Tower because of the height/weight of the building and you have to first dig out for one or more basements before the piles then it makes sense to use some of that extra space for underground parking.

Edited by Larry1962

3 hours ago, lafont said:

Are you certain it's larger than the Centennial?  Each floor is huge, and it's twenty stories - not that much shorter.

I'm including parking in that 2 million square feet. 

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

I hope this actually comes to fruition.  However, I just really hope that along with the financial change that other things happen to allow Stark to build the originally planned tower!

• Like 2

@KJP

I can't seem to find it or missed it: does the new TMUD still limit the acreage that this can be applied to? I seem to recall the original version limited projects to a few acres. Is this still the case? 

30 minutes ago, DTCL11 said:

@KJP

I can't seem to find it or missed it: does the new TMUD still limit the acreage that this can be applied to? I seem to recall the original version limited projects to a few acres. Is this still the case? 

There isn't any reference to "acre" in the current legislation. I did a word search on the bill at: http://search-prod.lis.state.oh.us/solarapi/v1/general_assembly_133/bills/sb39/PS/02?format=pdf

• Thanks 1

On 10/27/2019 at 1:29 AM, drewbvargo said:

From a design perspective, it's somewhat disappointing that the parking deck does not feature some form of facade or coverage above the storefronts of the laneway. It really distracts from the aesthetics of the retail and the "intimate" ambiance that Stark had originally intended for that space.  

The whole thing, as is, is a disappointment.

A watered down Park Centre.

6 hours ago, Paul in Cleveland said:

I've started to call it Reserve Square 2.0 myself ...

Was reserve square supposed to be much more pleasing design wise initially?

10 minutes ago, MyPhoneDead said:

when built Reserve Square and the Chesterfiled were stunning buildings.  I knew a lot of people that live in the Chesterfield as it was a very hard buildings to get into.

• Like 3

Update on Sub. SB 39, the TMUD tax credit legislation.....

I emailed the Economic & Workforce Development Committee's chairman to see if the legislation was reported to the House floor after yesterday's hearing. A staffer replied:

No action was taken this week. I'm still not sure if we're meeting next week or not, but if we don't, we will definitely meet November 13.

So if there's no hearing until the 13th, and if the bill gets reported out at that time, it would leave up to four House sessions for the full House to vote on it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Thankfully they will speed things up a little bit. The next hearing for Sub. SB 39 (TMUD tax credit) in the Economic & Workforce Development Committee is Nov. 6.

If the bill gets reported out at that time, it would offer up to seven House sessions for the full House to vote on it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 10/29/2019 at 4:04 PM, Paul in Cleveland said:

I've started to call it Reserve Square 2.0 myself ...

At this point I'll take anything to get this done once and for all.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

Pulled over from SW HQ.

"Remember, a developer just needs to get a company to commit to a large enough amount of space to get a project off the ground."

Didnt Stark sign Bensche for the Nucleus office project?

Edited by Frmr CLEder
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Frmr CLEder said:

Pulled over from SW HQ.

"Remember, a developer just needs to get a company to commit to a large enough amount of space to get a project off the ground."

Didnt Stark sign Bensche for the Nucleus office project?

Won't make any difference. The office rents in Cleveland don't come anywhere near close to overcoming the cost of office construction without subsidies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/29/2019 at 7:16 PM, MyPhoneDead said:

No.

It was ugly from the beginning. 

But, at least they delivered what they promised!

From yesterday's article on cleveland.com re: first look of The Beacon. Last paragraph:

"Stark continues to work on its larger and more complicated nuCLEus project that Stark plans to build nearby at Prospect Avenue, East Fourth Street and Huron Road. Stark had previously hoped to start construction in August, but continues to work on closing financing for the project. “We are still very hopeful” the project will move forward, a Stark representative said."

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2019/11/first-look-the-beacon-downtown-apartment-tower-offers-lake-views-luxury-living.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Today, the House committee will hold another hearing on Sub. SB 39 -- the TMUD tax credit bill. It could be referred to the the full House today or kept in committee. Hope it's not the latter. They're running out of time this year but the current legislative session continues until the end of next year.

Stark hasn't given up. You don't spend money on more renderings and presentations if you think a project is dead.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

It doesn't appear there was a vote today -- just additional hearings with witnesses testifying in favor of the bill.  Hopefully this comes up for a vote soon, or else they may run out of time again.

4 hours ago, Sapper Daddy said:

Does anyone know if the Economic & Workforce Development Committee met regarding SB 39 today?  If so, what was the outcome?

They didn't meet today. 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

And they aren't going to meet next week either, per an e-mail sent 90 minutes ago from the chair of the House Economic and Workforce Development Committee. In October, the committee seemed to be in a big hurry to move SB 39. Now they don't.

In December, there will be at least three House sessions and possibly as many as six starting Dec. 10. That schedule can change.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KJP said:

And they aren't going to meet next week either, per an e-mail sent 90 minutes ago from the chair of the House Economic and Workforce Development Committee. In October, the committee seemed to be in a big hurry to move SB 39. Now they don't.

Maybe somebody should attach some sort of abortion restriction to the bill.  That will get it moving.🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, KJP said:

In December, there will be at least three House sessions and possibly as many as six starting Dec. 10. That schedule can change.

Are they going to purposely run out of time again this year. This bill was presented in February.

It seems like they want to find a way to not have it pass.