SixthCity

Cleveland: Downtown: nuCLEus

I'm thinking about this prevailing wage impasse as a project cost issue.  Wondering if anyone on the forum has any ballpark idea what is the number of man-hours involved in a project of this magnitude.  Number of hours times (prevailing wage rate minus the wage that Stark can contract for) would equal the cost impact to Stark's bottom line on the project.

6 minutes ago, Klingaling87 said:

In a market that’s as busy as it is, I don’t know that the gap is that significant between open shop and prevailing wage right now. 

I don't know if it's just about the wages but having to keep track of all payrolls and submit them for approvals.  This is fairly time consuming and requires a lot of resources.  

8 minutes ago, Klingaling87 said:

In a market that’s as busy as it is, I don’t know that the gap is that significant between open shop and prevailing wage right now. 

That's interesting to know. How might this play out with the fact that Stark has his own construction company? Could the prevailing wage requirement upset whatever arrangements he has set for Arbor?

http://www.construction-today.com/sections/commercial/3442-stark-enterprises-arbor-construction

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

The Beacon is being built with all union labor, I.e. prevailing wage. This isn’t foreign to them. The majority of Crocker and Eton were as well. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, marty15 said:

The Beacon is being built with all union labor, I.e. prevailing wage. This isn’t foreign to them. The majority of Crocker and Eton were as well. 

I’ve heard that the beacon had some non-union subcontracts involved, albeit a majority were union. 

@jeremyck01 No reaction. Clicks are at routine numbers...about 400 so far.

• Like 1

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

How was it introduced last year?  I think the other way around House First Then senate.

House Passed and it ran out of time at the Senate level.

Yeah, that's right.  It is going in reverse order this year.  I'm hopeful that it proceeds quickly in the House given it was passed there just a few months ago in the prior cycle.

6 hours ago, Sapper Daddy said:

That’s great news!  Curious how many preleased are not currently living in downtown or Cleveland proper.  Hope it casts a wide net attracting new residents.

Anyone pick the Stark rep’s brain regarding NuCLEus?

Nope. No questions were asked about nuCLEus.

5 hours ago, Mov2Ohio said:

I heard from a source at the city that construction on NuCLEus will start in August. However since the project has been announced comments on when it would start have proved wrong, so we will see.

I wish I would have heard that this morning. I would have asked the Stark rep (Brian Weisberg, VP of residential operations) about it. So I'm asking around to the usual suspects.

EDIT: I would have heard that this morning at the CRE summit if I had answered my phone! Someone called me but didn't leave a voicemail, but called me later in the evening with some good news.... Blog article coming. 😉 

Edited by KJP
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Nucleus-2020-3.jpg

FRIDAY, JUNE 28, 2019

NuCLEus gets financing, possible August groundbreaking

To paraphrase Mark Twain, the reports of the nuCLEus development stalling were greatly short-lived. For those of us who welcome investment in downtown Cleveland, we're grateful for the news.

Just last week, sources said all signs indicated that the $354 million project to build two 24-story towers between Prospect Avenue, Huron Road and East 4th Street had stalled. The delay apparently was the result of complications surrounding a $12 million loan from the city. It was among the final pieces of financing for the project.

But this week...

MORE

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/06/nucleus-gets-financing-possible-august.html

• Like 21
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, jeremyck01 said:

@KJP I’m guessing this is the big news you hinted at posting earlier in the week? Very good news indeed. 

No. This article popped up in the last minute. The other one is still coming. 🙂

• Like 8

Just get some dang shovels in the ground already! I've only lived here a handful of years I can't imagine how annoying this start/stop game has to have been with the UO community over the past 10!! 

2 minutes ago, KJP said:

No. This article popped up in the last minute. The other one is still coming. 🙂

Nice, sounds like a good news overload. 

Guess I'm having crow for lunch today. I really thought this would be Warehouse District 2.0: Electric Boogaloo. 

Good to see another crane in the sky in the near future.

• Haha 2

Don't change your lunch order until you see shovels in the ground. And not the ceremonial kind.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Mildtraumatic said:

Hopefully no phases either.. Thinking of Avenue district.

Got some movement going on over there, too. Hopefully it pans out.

• Like 1

Great news!  - looks like the recent streak of big projects will continue with Lumen and Nucleus overlapping - I just wish the Nucleus apartment building wasn’t so - how should I say it...unattractive...

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, KJP said:

Got some movement going on over there, too. Hopefully it pans out.

Are you like talking Avenue District Tower Phase 2

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, CleveFan said:

Great news!  - looks like the recent streak of big projects will continue with Lumen and Nucleus overlapping - I just wish the Nucleus apartment building wasn’t so - how should I say it...unattractive...

Unattractive based off of a rendering?  How many times have we - on this very site - said something was "ugly" or "unattractive", yet love it once constructed AND completed?.  Although style/taste is subjective to each individual, lets give the project a chance to get off the ground before we start labeling and nitpicking.  I for one love the rendering.  If they convince others in my tax bracket to like it, and rent, this could be another successful game changing development. 

I'm hoping for the best as once this project is nears completion as rents in downtown will increase. People who want a more urbane lifestyle will now have additional housing choices.  This could possible have an impact on employment.  As the 24 population increases, employers again will look to DT as the best to locate to from inside the county/region and outside. That will make DT CLE more self serving and self reliant closer to 24 hours a day. Completion of this project will also make property on Carnegie, Prospect, Chester, Payne, Rockwell and Superior all ripe for development, with a mix of new builds and conversions.  Lastly, we could see a more robust "for sale" market to emerge.

👏🏽AM👏🏽HERE👏🏽FOR👏🏽ALL👏🏽THIS👏🏽!

• Like 7
  • Love 2

I think its attractive. Maybe he meant not attractive in stature. Love to see this get built and keep momentum going downtown making it a better place to work play and live. What will downtown be like with 30.000 residents? Cleveland will be a player in attracting companies nationally.

Edited by Mildtraumatic
  • Like 1

happy friday indeed -- its great to see this getting resolved and soon underway. the pre-leased agreements with nucleus and the beacon to date are also highly encouraging. stark's long running pr efforts and jockeying with the city are paying off.

• Like 1

Got another source confirming an August groundbreaking. No date yet, but could have it as early as next week. The source is VERY GOOD.

• Like 34

3 hours ago, Jenny said:

Anytime after all star week to generate those parking revenues. 

Maybe that's how he closed the funding gap.

• Haha 5

^just for the surface lot, not counting the garage I'm getting:

250 spots * $100 * 5 days = $125,000.

The garage has to have almost as many spots right?

20 hours ago, KJP said:

Got another source confirming an August groundbreaking. No date yet, but could have it as early as next week. The source is VERY GOOD.

I'm pretty sure this was the most "liked" post ever on UO with 20, lol.  Well done.

Edit: now 22.  I'm sure it will keep going up, so I'll stop editing.  

Edited by jeremyck01
  • Like 3

Should have a great view from my office of this project getting off the ground. Excited for August! 

Does anyone know any planned retail? Wasn’t the last news that the Cleveland Live concept was dead (and I assume Shake Shack is a bit unviable now)?

57 minutes ago, jeremyck01 said:

I'm pretty sure this was the most "liked" post ever on UO with 20, lol.  Well done.

Edit: now 22.  I'm sure it will keep going up, so I'll stop editing.  

I hope to post something someday on Sherwin Williams that will beat that. 🙂 Of course, there's always the risk it could go the other way and I post the most disliked post in the history of UrbanOhio.... 😮

20 minutes ago, audidave said:

Any chance there will be tweaks to the design and layout?  Everything has been approved from the drawings we last saw?

As far as I know, and no meaningful changes at this late date. When you're pulling together the construction workers for the job, that's a bad time to be making changes to the layout. 😉 There may be some changes to exterior decorative elements, furnishings, etc. depending on availability, supply, cost, etc. however.

• Like 2

^I guess i was thinking since the city was kicking in some money there were certain design tweaks they wanted to see happen for better continuity.  

54 minutes ago, Clevecane said:

Should have a great view from my office of this project getting off the ground. Excited for August! 

Does anyone know any planned retail? Wasn’t the last news that the Cleveland Live concept was dead (and I assume Shake Shack is a bit unviable now)?

I think there was a post last week that discussed updated retail (cannot remember if it was just a forum members info or from a news article but I believe it was an article) indicating that Cleveland Live was taking 50.000 square feet (that seemed to me to be a lot and I wonder if it was a misprint) and a Starbuck Reserve was going in as well as something else I cannot recall.

9 minutes ago, Htsguy said:

I think there was a post last week that discussed updated retail (cannot remember if it was just a forum members info or from a news article but I believe it was an article) indicating that Cleveland Live was taking 50.000 square feet (that seemed to me to be a lot and I wonder if it was a misprint) and a Starbuck Reserve was going in as well as something else I cannot recall.

A recent KJP blog says its A Fox Sports Live and Starbucks.  Cannot find where I saw Cleveland Live (again I thought it was a recent article) and the 50,000 square feet number which seems insane.

Here is the article:

http://realestate.cleveland.com/realestate-news/2017/02/cleveland_live_will_anchor_nuc.html

"A nearly 50,000-square-foot entertainment venue called Cleveland Live! will be a major anchor for the planned nuCLEus project in downtown's Gateway District."

"The Cleveland-based developer also announced leases with Shake Shack, a burger joint opening its first Ohio location; Starbucks Reserve, an upscale coffee-bar concept making its Ohio debut; and HopCat, a large restaurant and craft beer bar."

"Shake Shack, born in 2004 in New York City, has locations in 16 states and a handful of international cities, including Dubai, London and Tokyo. The eatery will fill 3,000 square feet at nuCLEus. Starbucks Reserve also has committed to a 3,000-square-foot lease. HopCat, based in Michigan, will occupy 8,500 square feet."

Edited by mrclifton88
  • Like 1