SixthCity

Cleveland: Downtown: nuCLEus

Any guesses on height?  I realize its just a conceptual placeholder but it does look quite tall. 

I'd guess mid-200's.

Are you referring to the grey/light blue/neon green structure? 

Any guesses on height?  I realize its just a conceptual placeholder but it does look quite tall. 

I'd guess mid-200's.

Are you referring to the grey/light blue/neon green structure? 

I assumed the question was directed to 515 Euclid. I believe I guessed 380 a page or two back for the taller Nucleus building.

Interesting that the picture on stark's site shows the May Co. building as a public parking garage.  I didn't think that was confirmed.

nuCLEus_EmailVersion.jpg

Would be nice to eventually fill in that lot where the Hippodrome was on Euclid, and then on the Prospect side.  That would eliminate almost every empty lot between Public Square to Playhouse Square in the currently defined density of Downtown (only the lot across from Calfee, the one next to the Union Club and a few small one would remain).  Hey Stark, pick all those up too...

Appears the Stark folks just added the below nuCLEus brochure (dated 9/2014) onto their site. It adds some additional details - including the "laneways" concept - into the mix. Interesting..

Find the brochure download on the left side of this page: http://starkenterprises.com/properties/nucleus/

"nuCLEus will introduce laneways to downtown Cleveland, a unique form of urban place making originating in Melbourne, Australia. The laneway at nuCLEus will be a tight intimate space that offers al fresco eateries, one-off shops and cozy little bars, all nestled side-by-side in a unique alley setting with its own individual character and charm."

So, is E. 4th a laneway?

Appears the Stark folks just added the below nuCLEus brochure (dated 9/2014) onto their site. It adds some additional details - including the "laneways" concept - into the mix. Interesting..

Find the brochure download on the left side of this page: http://starkenterprises.com/properties/nucleus/

"nuCLEus will introduce laneways to downtown Cleveland, a unique form of urban place making originating in Melbourne, Australia. The laneway at nuCLEus will be a tight intimate space that offers al fresco eateries, one-off shops and cozy little bars, all nestled side-by-side in a unique alley setting with its own individual character and charm."

So, is E. 4th a laneway?

Similar, but slightly different in spirit.  Laneways are about reclaiming utilitarian alleys as intimate pedestrian spaces.  East 4th has a great scale, but is a conventional street in the sense that its buildings have normal storefronts.

The Melbourne laneways....

Open-air:

melbourne-laneway-057.jpg

Enclosed:

11317927773_4ea77afab4_b.jpg

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

The brochure says opening 2016? That doesn't seem realistic to me at all. They need to get started now if they want to be finished by then. Any thoughts?

Well it better be.

Again, there isgoing to be a captive audience in the summer of 2016 that will need things and will want to spend and will need things and will want to spend, and did i menton they will want to spend and they will need things?

ANd right now downtown... there is very little to buy

The brochure says opening 2016? That doesn't seem realistic to me at all. They need to get started now if they want to be finished by then. Any thoughts?

My guess is that they will build in stages, with the first section opening in 2016.  If it's something like single story restaurants, the timeline is doable

Did anyone else note that page 10 of the Stark nuCLEus brochure appears to show a build-out on the upper floors of Euclid Avenue's 515 Garage?  Any info?

Several folks discussed it upthread, but we do have a 515 Euclid thread in completed/abandoned projects. (hint hint)

The laneway will be the E.6th street sidewalk that takes you to gateway, I assume.

If so, I like this centuries-old concept which is from Quebec City -- perhaps North America's most European city....

DSC_0347.jpg

I was playing around with Google Sketchup earlier, and for the heck of it I built a little mockup of the tallest NuCLEus tower and placed it in Google Earth, just to see what a ~450 foot building in that area would look like in relation to the skyline. Here are a few renders.

(apologies in advance for the 50's-O-Rama look of the tower, I wanted to use a texture that would make it stand out in the skyline, and this was the best I could find)

From Progressive Field: http://i.imgur.com/HdvJOb1.jpg

From near the Prospect/Huron intersection: http://i.imgur.com/VZX5OsS.jpg

From the Hope Memorial Bridge: http://i.imgur.com/BvmIPUT.png

Ok, I don't think I really understand what a laneway is.  The photos of the Melbourne laneway looks cramped and on the inside of a mall (second photo).  How is a laneway different than E4th other than it being skinnier?

I was playing around with Google Sketchup earlier, and for the heck of it I built a little mockup of the tallest NuCLEus tower and placed it in Google Earth, just to see what a ~450 foot building in that area would look like in relation to the skyline. Here are a few renders.

(apologies in advance for the 50's-O-Rama look of the tower, I wanted to use a texture that would make it stand out in the skyline, and this was the best I could find)

From Progressive Field: http://i.imgur.com/HdvJOb1.jpg

From near the Prospect/Huron intersection: http://i.imgur.com/VZX5OsS.jpg

From the Hope Memorial Bridge: http://i.imgur.com/BvmIPUT.png

Nice massings!

I'm guessing the laneway concept is more like an old fashion arcade, of which we have two already with one of them on life support and the other doing alright at the expense of the first -- The Arcade and 5th Street Arcades.

edit: Corrected name of The Arcade,  as somebody pointed out below.

^If you are interested in Stark Enterprises take on it I would direct you to the brochure  where they give their description

Well, it's not really their take, seeing as they plagiarized a Melbourne tourism site for their description: http://www.thatsmelbourne.com.au/Placestogo/LanewaysandArcades/Pages/LanewaysandArcades.aspx.  Talk about lazy.

So, is E. 4th a laneway?

Similar, but slightly different in spirit.  Laneways are about reclaiming utilitarian alleys as intimate pedestrian spaces.  East 4th has a great scale, but is a conventional street in the sense that its buildings have normal storefronts.

Similarly it would be cool for Barn Ct. off of E 9th by The 9 to turn into a laneway as well.

The Grand Arcade is a condominium building in the Warehouse District. I think the Arcade spanning Euclid Ave. and Superior Ave. is called The Old Arcade.

The Grand Arcade is a condominium building in the Warehouse District. I think the Arcade spanning Euclid Ave. and Superior Ave. is called The Old Arcade.

Apologizes for continuing to go off topic, but the arcade between Euclid and Superior is simply "The Arcade."

Open-air:

Perhaps this is a design concept that could warrant wider use around the city re: wind protection in colder months?

Open-air:

Perhaps this is a design concept that could warrant wider use around the city re: wind protection in colder months?

I like it.  It gives a sort of European feel in the old medieval parts of cities....Florence, Rome, London etc.

Awesome!  Thanks for taking the time to do that.