Sign in to follow this  
Guest KJP

Cleveland: Progressive Field renovations

Some black open link fenced-in railings around the fan areas atop each of those monoliths would lessen their enormous visual  mass by around 4.5" each.  How did the Dolans & "designers" not see this.

I was hoping this would also include lighting for the outside of Progressive also.  Other fields like Comerica for instance are really lit up nice with decorative LED's at night.

Club is adding LED field lights for 2017

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20170129/NEWS/170129814/tribes-outlook-is-even-brighter-club-is-adding-led-field-lights-for

I was hoping this would also include lighting for the outside of Progressive also.  Other fields like Comerica for instance are really lit up nice with decorative LED's at night.

Club is adding LED field lights for 2017

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20170129/NEWS/170129814/tribes-outlook-is-even-brighter-club-is-adding-led-field-lights-for

Agreed. I love what Comerica does with their exterior lights:

Gateway approves Cleveland Indians' $2.9 million request for renovations to Progressive Field

https://articles.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2018/08/gateway_approves_cleveland_ind.amp

"The boss rolls up in a new Lamborghini and tells his staff 'The greatest part about America is that hard work breeds wealth. So if you work hard and dedicate yourself tirelessly to the task at hand, I can get another new Lamborghini next year.'” -- Overheard in a Cleveland bar.

I know you can't see much, but looks like they're working away at the suite renovations. Also looks like they're doing work in the player's parking lot area.

20190124_133655.jpg

20190124_133702.jpg

20190124_133517.jpg

I’m a season ticket holder and got a survey the other day about ideas for the shipping containers. Seems like there are plans to improve their useage. Unfortunately, non of the ideas hinted at their renovation or removal. 

Edited by roman totale XVII

And they reckon that the last thing she saw in her life was
Sting, singing on the roof of the Barbican

With construction pics!

Club Lounge at Progressive Field getting new look, flow as part of $6 million project

https://www.crainscleveland.com/sports-business/club-lounge-progressive-field-getting-new-look-flow-part-6-million-project

"The boss rolls up in a new Lamborghini and tells his staff 'The greatest part about America is that hard work breeds wealth. So if you work hard and dedicate yourself tirelessly to the task at hand, I can get another new Lamborghini next year.'” -- Overheard in a Cleveland bar.

Cleveland Indians seek new lighting and temperature-control system for Progressive Field

• $1.6 million to replace original heating/cooling regulating system 
  • Previously approved escalators ($4.2 million) to be installed after season, before March 2020

Link: https://www.cleveland.com/news/2019/09/cleveland-indians-seek-new-lighting-and-temperature-control-system-for-progressive-field.html

• Like 1

So there was a piece from WKYC a couple of days ago regarding Haslems plans for the future of First Energy.  In that same story was a brief line from the reporter stating that the Indians/Progressive Field will soon come to the city with a plan for a major renovation of Progressive Field. That was the first I heard of this plan. If that is the case I hope it involves a complete refresh of the exterior which looks every bit of being designed in the 90's.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

3 minutes ago, freethink said:

So there was a piece from WKYC a couple of days ago regarding Haslems plans for the future of First Energy.  In that same story was a brief line from the reporter stating that the Indians/Progressive Field will soon come to the city with a plan for a major renovation of Progressive Field. That was the first I heard of this plan. If that is the case I hope it involves a complete refresh of the exterior which looks every bit of being designed in the 90's.

They might have been referring to updating the lighting and sound systems which apparently is not going to be cheap.

I have no problem with the exterior of park, it is the tragedy of the upper right field stands which kills me.  Something has to be done up there.

• Like 10

I thought a few months back there was mention of the fact that they are considering a redo of those shipping containers, as they have NOT been a popular design choice.  Hopefully that is the case.

EDIT: From the Crains article above back in January:

"In the case of the private terraces, Danburg said the Indians are discussing something similar to what the Colorado Rockies and Oakland Athletics have done. If the Indians continue to pursue the option, which would be more than a few years away, the terraces would replace the upper-deck boxes in right field. Those patio areas — which resemble shipping containers and feature retired jersey numbers and the names of community partners — have been the only aspects of an extensive ballpark renovation that have been roundly criticized."

I guess we will see if anything comes of this.

Edited by mrclifton88
  • Like 3

I was never a fan of all the exposed white beams on the exterior. I don't think those have been painted since it opened. I would like to see more glass and brick but that's just me.  I am just guessing that the Indians are definitely jealous of what has happened with the Q/ RMF. I could see something like that work at Progressive.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mrclifton88 said:

I thought a few months back there was mention of the fact that they are considering a redo of those shipping containers, as they have NOT been a popular design choice.  Hopefully that is the case.

EDIT: From the Crains article above back in January:

"In the case of the private terraces, Danburg said the Indians are discussing something similar to what the Colorado Rockies and Oakland Athletics have done. If the Indians continue to pursue the option, which would be more than a few years away, the terraces would replace the upper-deck boxes in right field. Those patio areas — which resemble shipping containers and feature retired jersey numbers and the names of community partners — have been the only aspects of an extensive ballpark renovation that have been roundly criticized."

I guess we will see if anything comes of this.

I agree. The renovations have been awesome besides those containers.

• Like 1

I think the stadium has aged wonderfully. All my out of town friends I bring to a game rave about the place. The setting and location as well. But I agree. Right field upper deck could use a do over. 

Edited by marty15
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, freethink said:

I was never a fan of all the exposed white beams on the exterior. I don't think those have been painted since it opened. I would like to see more glass and brick but that's just me.  I am just guessing that the Indians are definitely jealous of what has happened with the Q/ RMF. I could see something like that work at Progressive.

That design was in homage to the industrial heritage of the city. I like it! 

If anyone can dig up the original commercials that ran when the Jake opened, wow, that was a truly great ad campaign. It really sold how special the game is. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, surfohio said:

That design was in homage to the industrial heritage of the city. I like it! 

If anyone can dig up the original commercials that ran when the Jake opened, wow, that was a truly great ad campaign. It really sold how special the game is. 

Yeah I get that, but I also remember at the time there were thoughts to pay homage to League Park and the brick buildings that were demolished for Gateway, which I would have preferred. Keep in mind the exposed girders were also a cost-saving measure, but at this point I'm just looking for a new fresh paint job.

19 hours ago, freethink said:

Agree with you here; I don’t have a problem with the exposed steel structure but could we get a new paint scheme in green or red? The off-white is so blah and any kind of rust shows up immediately. I’m definitely in favor of some color if they’re considering an exterior facelift. The rest of the park is outstanding.

• Like 1

Progressive is such a great park in which to enjoy a baseball game. The connectivity to the city, as was the goal of the recent renovations, is outstanding. There are a lot of cool neighborhoods within the park and the experience there reflects the culture/ personality of the city nicely. It’s  another one of Cleveland’s jewels to be  proud of. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

On 9/25/2019 at 8:30 PM, CleveFan said:

Progressive is such a great park in which to enjoy a baseball game. The connectivity to the city, as was the goal of the recent renovations, is outstanding. There are a lot of cool neighborhoods within the park and the experience there reflects the culture/ personality of the city nicely. It’s  another one of Cleveland’s jewels to be  proud of. 

15 hours ago, freethink said:

Good to know that others share my opinion! 

• Like 1

My Dad gave my brothers and I some tours of “Gateway” Stadium back in 93 when he was running work there. #tbt

764ECF3B-71B7-48C5-AC74-D469DA6E9F72.jpeg

B9549FFB-7A7F-4DDC-824C-D33736958E78.jpeg

45147405-6329-447A-90C2-589964AE5CA5.jpeg

1A39473E-05F2-4ECE-920C-4B85508D7B69.jpeg

Edited by marty15
  • Like 11
  • Love 7

I see where you get your love of development/construction from @marty15! Our parents certainly do affect our interests into adulthood.

EDIT: already got your rally caps on too, I see. 🙂

Edited by KJP
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, KJP said:

I see where you get your love of development/construction from @marty15! Our parents certainly do affect our interests into adulthood.

EDIT: already got your rally caps on too, I see. 🙂

Yeah, @KJP, @marty15‘s dad is my dad too🙂. I’m a 16 yr old hs junior-to-be in the pic looking out at the scoreboard and TT; 4 yrs at JCU couldn’t ultimately keep me from the building trades even if it was the carpenters and not my dad’s pipe fitter union....best decision I ever made.

• Like 7

On 10/31/2019 at 9:27 AM, marty15 said:

My Dad gave my brothers and I some tours of “Gateway” Stadium back in 93 when he was running work there. #tbt

764ECF3B-71B7-48C5-AC74-D469DA6E9F72.jpeg

This brings back so many memories as my SOHIO bldg. office had unobstructed views of the construction.  Also, think how much downtown has changed.  I do at this point in time, wish that the Central Market could have been rebuilt smaller for downtown residents.  Imagine having a central market today located in close proximity to the residential populations that are in Downtown today.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2019 at 10:22 AM, CleCaneFan said:

Yeah, @KJP, @marty15‘s dad is my dad too🙂. I’m a 16 yr old hs junior-to-be in the pic looking out at the scoreboard and TT; 4 yrs at JCU couldn’t ultimately keep me from the building trades even if it was the carpenters and not my dad’s pipe fitter union....best decision I ever made.

Qué?  

Oh No What GIF by WWE

• Confused 1

Large crane this morning with some type of harness lifting things in or out of right field this morning. I breezed past too fast and couldn't get a picture but it was a pretty massive crane and, wild speculation here, the harness was about the size of those boxes in the outfield.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, bjk said:

I think they are doing HVAC work, would explain the size

I believe Schindler is doing elevator work there this week. I think they ordered the crane. 

• Like 1