Cleveland: Progressive Field

Guest KJP

Indians communication dude says,

@joelhammond says @The9CLE billboard will be OFF during games

Also-The renovation architect was interviewed post-game. Sean Plunkett from WMF.  I'm guessing the changes from what was originally proposed came from the Indians. Probably cost/time constraints.

Two things:

1. The other parts of the renovation do look to have been done well.  Unfortunately the terrace boxes are the most visible part of the renovation and they were done so poorly that that's really all you can see / focus on.

2. It is interesting to note that the Browns and Cavs each completed or proposed more sweeping (and expensive) updates to their facilities while also asking for public dollars.  While this renovation definitely looks value driven, it did not include public dollars.  I guess I'm using that rationale to find some favor-ability in this situation.  Local dollars can certainly be put to more pressing needs than paying for stadium updates that owners should pay for.  I'm curious how other UO posters feel about that.

Why?  Would it be in the line of sight with the batter and distracting?

Exactly. All ballparks have a "batter's eye" section of the ballpark that is a solid color and void of any fans. The video board wasn't so much an issue last year because it was blocked by the market pavilion and bridge. But now that it's open out in center field, the batter would have a more clear view of the board.

Yes. Geis and the MLB came to an agreement to have the sign static during games in exchange for concessions concerning traffic control on the east side of Bolivar Road. Reason being the distraction the video message boards create to players.

I just took a walk over to Progressive Field to see the progress on the "containers" in right field.  They are currently putting what appears to be a wallpaper type of cover so that the middle row of "containers" will be green.  As much as I hate this look, the green may help to mitigate this disaster. If only they had installed glass or metal bar fencing around the top of the "containers" instead of the solid wall, it would have been so much more appealing.  In time I guess I will get used to it.  Fortunately, my seats are in the lower section of right field so I will not be able to see the "containers" above me.  I pity the folks on the third base side.  They will have to look at the "containers" for the entire game.  :|

Another pic from that Twitter account:

CCFnZceWIAAj_uX.jpg:large

From the Indians:

CCFW0xNUEAA-8XA.jpg:large

CCFW0v-UoAAlHA9.jpg:large

CCFW0xEUIAEiIQK.jpg:large

CCFW0xaVIAAfE0d.jpg:large

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

My last update on the upper deck fiasco. Unfortuantely the green now complete on the middle section doesn't make it any better. Even worse, and it's hard to tell in the picture, the boxes in the corner are covered in a green tarp. It's pretty windy tonight so you could clearly see them blowing a bit in the wind. Obviously (hopefully) just a temporary fix for the opening series, but still...

IMG_0548.JPG

This design are terrible on a number of levels, but it might be mitigated if the boxes weren't all different sizes and if the ads weren't put on them. I just don't understand hoq they thought this would look okay.

I agree. This was done terribly on a large scale, but quite a few small scale things they could have done to make it less terrible.

I feel like I'm constantly beating a dead horse with this, but I'm just so angry about it that I need to vent often.

I completely agree.  The choices made from the initial design to the end product show how many bad decisions were made. We were all sold a bill of goods that were not deliverable as rendered. Funny how the organization has kept this part of the renovation out of the press.  I am waiting for the spin they will put on these,

But not to be a total debbie downer, as a I said before, everything else looks great. I didn't take any pictures of it tonight, but I really liked what they did with the area outside of gate C. The flagpoles are up finally too. I also noticed tonight they they have renamed all of the gates. Gate C is now the Right Field Gate, Gate A is the Left Field Gate, and Gate D is the Infield Gate.

Are the "who's on first" granite blocks still at gate C?  I also wish Progressive Field could have limited the additional corporate logos.  The "New Era" pro shop and "Key Bank" on the light posts are just a couple of examples.  Yes most of the rework is good but the finishes are all odd choices.  Also, I noticed the new center area seating has a major trip factor. This can be seen in the photo posted earlier by KJP.

This design are terrible on a number of levels, but it might be mitigated if the boxes weren't all different sizes and if the ads weren't put on them. I just don't understand hoq they thought this would look okay.

They aren't ads; the tribe is honoring 'community partners'. 

I do love what they did to the gate on E9th, though.  That was the type of renovation that we all can get behind.  They created interaction with the street, took down a skywalk, and added retail.  Before, that gate felt like you were sneaking in the back door.

My last update on the upper deck fiasco. Unfortuantely the green now complete on the middle section doesn't make it any better. Even worse, and it's hard to tell in the picture, the boxes in the corner are covered in a green tarp. It's pretty windy tonight so you could clearly see them blowing a bit in the wind. Obviously (hopefully) just a temporary fix for the opening series, but still...

IMG_0548.JPG

why robinson, a large name, on the smallest box? it looks almost disrespectful. they couldnt have moved frank robinson and the fans to the larger boxes just to the right and left those tiny boxes in the corner blank to keep it more balanced and uniform looking? eh. this will take some getting used to. question - can anybody go up and sit in the new terrace areas during the game?

IMG_0548.JPG

why robinson, a large name, on the smallest box? it looks almost disrespectful. they couldnt have moved frank robinson and the fans to the larger boxes just to the right and left those tiny boxes in the corner blank to keep it more balanced and uniform looking? eh. this will take some getting used to. question - can anybody go up and sit in the new terrace areas during the game?

That's Jackie Robinson, not Frank, and since he never played either for or against the Indians, it's apropos.

oh yeah i must still be drunk lol, but regardless its not apropos to put baby in the corner like that along with the fans logo. it doesnt look balanced right squeezed in on the littlest boxes, they are mismatched with the others when they dont need to be.

Are the "who's on first" granite blocks still at gate C?  I also wish Progressive Field could have limited the additional corporate logos.  The "New Era" pro shop and "Key Bank" on the light posts are just a couple of examples.  Yes most of the rework is good but the finishes are all odd choices.  Also, I noticed the new center area seating has a major trip factor. This can be seen in the photo posted earlier by KJP.

Yes, they moved the "Who's on first" to the area just north of Eagle and south of Bolivar

They were much less conspicuous, but I really liked the old placement of the retired numbers on the wide support walls underneath the rf upper deck.  Those wall segments look naked to me now.  I guess they needed to put something on the new box things, though.  Maybe Maersk and Hanjin logos...

The rest of the updates look fantastic, and even the jury boxes aren't as jarring as they were (to me) at first.

The Indians already had some of the most affordable tickets and food/bev options in the league. Then they went and upgraded the food/bev with local flavor and built what looks like an awesome new destination in the bar. The team is coming off 2 consecutive winning seasons, the FO just locked up the CY YOUNG winner for the rest of the decade, and many national outlets are picking them as a leading contender and/or World Series winner. All of this privately financed, without major ticket price increases, by a (*gasp*) Cleveland-based ownership.

Let's Go Tribe!

/Opening Day tangent-rant

It's opening day, so I'm going to be positive. The green covering / liner whatever makes an improvement, if for no other reason than it breaks up the wall of beige that was there before. It doesn't look quite as much like something my kids would have made in Minecraft.

I like the idea of the boxes, and I think it will be fun to sit there. I just hope someone latches on to the idea of improving the rails so that they are more transparent / less foreboding. I think that will be the difference maker.

Another cool feature: there are plaques outside the right field gate commemorating the Indian's WS wins and AL pennants as well as all the players with retired numbers. And I really love the addition of the Cleveland and Ohio flags on either side of the U.S. flag. I'd venture to say that's the largest Cleveland flag in the city.

IMG_0553.JPG

I thought the comments on the right field upper deck in this forum were unnecessarily harsh (especially considering this was privately funded).... UNTIL I sought out some images of Coors Field's seamlessly (elegantly) done party terraces/bar - which look like wide, inviting, exciting spaces... After seeing those, I agree that ALL your comments are accurate. This looks horrible. It could be greatly improved even by simply connecting the individual boxes ao they look more like one wide deck like at Coors.

^Already mentioned upthread, but I think it's unfair to compare this to other parks' initial build-out. It's a retrofit of a raked seating deck. Unless they increased the budget tenfold to allow for structural changes, there was no way this project was ever going to look as seamless as that part of Coors, which was part of that park's original plan. Don't think they can connect the boxes, because they need the tunnels for access to the remaining seating areas from the concourse.

The sin here is cheaping out on the finishes and some horrible design choices even within their constraints.

^Already mentioned upthread, but I think it's unfair to compare this to other parks' initial build-out. It's a retrofit of a raked seating deck. Unless they increased the budget tenfold to allow for structural changes, there was no way this project was ever going to look as seamless as that part of Coors, which was part of that park's original plan. Don't think they can connect the boxes, because they need the tunnels for access to the remaining seating areas from the concourse.

The sin here is cheaping out on the finishes and some horrible design choices even within their constraints.

The Rooftop Party Deck at Coors Field was not part of Coor's Field's original plan.  But you're right it is still not apples to apples, because according to this article from the Denver Post, they did "an extensive redesign and renovation to the upper right-field seating area and concourse."  http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_24275380/rockies-unveil-plan-bar-restaurant-upper-deck-right

For the $25M the Indians spent we were never going to get a redesign of the upper deck while I'm sure the Rockies spent substantially more to redesign the actual stadium (I'd be curious to know how much more, this article doesn't say).  I was ok with that since the Indians did not ask for public dollars, but they totally cheaped out on the design and materials used for these boxes and it shows.  And that takes away from some great work they did on the concourse and concession areas.  There is an article in today's PD that shows the middle boxes painted green, which does help some, and shows some of the better aspects of this project. 

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2015/04/9_things_about_progressive_fie.html#incart_big-photo

Went to the game today and personally thought everything looked awesome in person except the boxes. They looked less horrible to me inside the field but still need some help.... They just stand out way too much and they aren't painted green. It's like a tarp-like covering that's solid green but can be changed out to have a logo on it. Not the greatest look. The corner bar and new food options were very cool.

5365f602314c396c1d4e094324000206.jpg

abfafd843a0cffed1da109776de141a5.jpg

c74d2c024ce154f18edc52021ce9b161.jpg

f00cc78bc482f0dcf9813df800094c49.jpg

61f09d51a7048533164c09e1dbec58eb.jpg

I reluctantly ventured to the upper deck on opening day to grab some shots. Warning Graphic Content: Some viewers may find the following images disturbing

IMG_0557.JPG

IMG_0558.JPG

IMG_0559.JPG

IMG_0563.JPG

IMG_0561.JPG

The old visitors bullpen was pretty cool though:

IMG_0564.JPG

IMG_0565.JPG

IMG_0566.JPG

IMG_0568.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

From The Indians guest services and the upper deck terraces.  " please note this area of the ballpark is not open every game, only for games such as Opening Day when we are approaching or are sold out or for a large group sale who purchased that area" 

From The Indians guest services and the upper deck terraces.  " please note this area of the ballpark is not open every game, only for games such as Opening Day when we are approaching or are sold out or for a large group sale who purchased that area" 

Hmm...I was not aware of that. Thnx for that info. Guess I will have to wait for 'such as' opening day for a closer look.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Some more news on phase II of the renovations. Time to move this thread back to active projects?

Next phase of Progressive Field renovations likely will include removal of seats under overhang

Jeff Thomas thinks the Cleveland Indians season tickets he has in the fifth row of Section 254, which offer a perfect view of home plate, are the best “dollar-for-dollar” deal at Progressive Field.

There's just one problem: He's been told his seats won't be around in 2016.

According to three Tribe customers who spoke with Crain's, the Indians recently notified season-ticket holders in the 200 level at Progressive Field — the 13 sections of seats under the overhang that stretch from home plate down the third-base line — that they are removing those seats to open up the main concourse. The work would be part of the second phase of renovations at the 21-year-old ballpark, which underwent a $26 million, privately funded facelift prior to the 2015 season.

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20150726/NEWS/307269994/next-phase-of-progressive-field-renovations-likely-will-include

• 3 weeks later...

Indians unveil latest Progressive renovations

By Jordan Bastian / MLB.com | @MLBastian | August 11th, 2015

CLEVELAND -- The Indians spent last offseason giving Progressive Field a facelift, dramatically changing the center-field entrance and creating the popular Right Field District. The response to the ballpark upgrades from fans has been overwhelmingly positive this season.

Even more enhancements are coming, too.

On Wednesday, the Indians revealed details of the second phase of their multi-phase renovations for the ballpark. Cleveland plans on extending the changes made in center and right field throughout the main concourse, and will be working this winter to add new concessions, constructing a new club located behind home plate and adding more elements to celebrate the team's history.

http://m.indians.mlb.com/news/article/142539346/indians-announce-progressive-field-renovations

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

I was also hoping for a mention of fixing the monstrosity that is the right field upper deck...

I love the idea of opening up the concourse to the field though. That will be a great change and really raise Progressive Field to a higher class of ballparks.

So here is the new scoreboard  announcement from the PD.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2015/08/gateway_approves_16_million_re.html#incart_m-rpt-1

It sounds like the footprint of the scoreboard will remain the same but the actual video display will cover the whole area, in other words there will be no static advertising boards it will all be HD display from corner to corner. In comparison First Energy's new scoreboard is 40×172 this will be 60×237.

I was hoping it would be less horizontal and more vertical to open up a better view of the city. Something like KC's new scoreboard.