Sign in to follow this  
Guest musky

2016 Democratic National Convention

I thought there would be a lot more discussion about this here.  I was really disappointed in the outcome.  I thought Columbus really stood a chance and that Philadelphia would just be to cliche.  I took it as a particular blow because I felt like it was the rest of the country not giving us enough credit.  They don't seem to take us too seriously.  Speculation has been that we did not get it because of logistics and not enough input from area businesses.  Any discussion on what needs to be done to actually land a convention, or is that just too obvious and only beating a dead horse?

^Didn't stop Tampa in 2012 or St. Paul in 2008.  Granted, transit would be fantastic but it clearly isn't the main reason why Columbus didn't get it.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

^Didn't stop Tampa in 2012 or St. Paul in 2008.  Granted, transit would be fantastic but it clearly isn't the main reason why Columbus didn't get it.

I mean, if we're being technical, Tampa does have a streetcar...

I mean, if we're being technical, Tampa does have a streetcar...

...that goes nowhere near an airport.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

I'm sure money was the biggest factor.  New York and Philadelphia are both huge cities with a lot of wealthy Democrats and corporations.  Columbus just isn't on that scale.  Columbus probably would have had a better chance if it had been a finalist in 2012, competing against the likes of Charlotte, the Twin Cities, and St. Louis.

Cleveland beat Dallas for the RNC partly because the bid organizers suggested that money could come from across the state, which helped to make up for the "donor differential" between DFW and CLE.  But because Cleveland won, Columbus didn't have that same luxury.

I agree Cleveland getting the RNC would have to be a big factor. I think it would just look strange to all non-Ohioans if the Dems picked Cbus.

I agree with this sentiment as well.  Plus there may have been concern about potentially splitting the all important fundraising pot if both conventions were in Ohio.  Cleveland tried and lost twice in recent years...this is not the last go round for Columbus.  Ohio is too important of a state politically.  It wouldn't surprise me if all three C's land the convention within the next few election cycles, as long as they each continue to make improvements in transportation, lodging and meeting facilities. 

Edit: I posted before seeing Confiteordeo's post.  He explained the money reasoning much better than I did. 

Not the main reason, but an important factor... I keep hearing quality transit mentioned by site-selection folks in both parties; particularly viz Tampa ... as in "never again..."

Here's a bit more from this Business First article that I posted in the Columbus: Conventions & Tourism thread:

Ah, well.  Sometimes you miss when you swing for the fence...

Columbus loses out on 2016 DNC, but Coleman pledges to try again in 2020

By Tom Knox, Reporter - Columbus Business First

UPDATED: Feb 12, 2015, 10:17am EST

The 2016 Democratic presidential convention will be in Philadelphia, not Columbus or Brooklyn.  Democratic National Committee representatives will hold a conference call with reporters explaining their decision at noon.

Columbus went all-in on efforts to bring the convention to town, emerging as the mid-sized underdog to the two East Coast competitors.

MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2015/02/12/columbus-loses-out-on-2016-dnc-but-coleman-pledges.html

The national reporting on why Philadelphia got the nod over Columbus and NYC/Brooklyn came down to two major points:  Donor money for the convention and security logistics for the convention.

-- Philadelphia and NYC/Brooklyn held the clear edge over Columbus in East Coast donor money.  Ohio did support Columbus' bid - but with Ohio already supporting the 2016 RNC in Cleveland, Columbus couldn't match the larger, older-monied Philly metro.

-- As for security logistics, Politico reported in http://www.politico.com/story/2015/02/headline-source-philadelphia-to-host-2016-dnc-115143.html#ixzz3RYZZYzsf:  “A Democratic official familiar with the decision said the choice was “a close call among the three” and came down almost entirely to logistics.  A factor that hurt both Brooklyn and Columbus was the huge security perimeter of a modern convention, which requires surrounding blocks to be fenced off well ahead of the convention. ... Both Brooklyn’s Barclays Center and the Columbus site are surrounded by apartments, churches and small businesses, which could mean huge disruptions.  Philadelphia’s site is surrounded by parking lots, as well as larger-capacity baseball and football stadiums.”

And that's no lie about the Philadelphia site - their "Stadium District" is a sea of parking lots cut off from the rest the city by freeways.  Just look at the aerial view of the Wells Fargo Center: http://goo.gl/maps/dTvxW

If true, then Columbus' Arena District and Brooklyn's Barclays Center urban site would be less ideal for the DNC.  Yes, I know that the RNC choose Cleveland's mixed-use downtown site.  But the theory is that the DNC will host a sitting President, which ramps up the security level over the RNC.

(And if pro-sports meant anything, then C-BUS should get the DNC because our Blue Jackets just finished beating the Philadelphia Flyers to take the season series, winning 4 out of 5 games :wink:.)

So, it looks like 2016 is just not the year for Columbus to get this national convention.  But as was pointed out earlier, it took Cleveland multiple tries before they got it this time.  So, if Columbus wants to try again in 2020 and/or 2024 (and it sounds like they do) they might also break through on the second or third time.

(And if pro-sports meant anything, then C-BUS should get the DNC because our Blue Jackets just finished beating the Philadelphia Flyers to take the season series, winning 4 out of 5 games :wink:.)

Well they are one of the few remaining towns with a major league team in all four major league sports.  :-)

I'll bet this piece of crap still gets invited to the big party...

Former Falls Church Democratic Party chairman allegedly asked about hit man to kill girls he's accused of molesting http://t.co/gwr8m34jd1

"Most of us have been conditioned to regard military combat as exciting and glamorous -- an opportunity for men to prove their competence and courage. Since armies are legal, we feel that war is acceptable; in general, nobody feels that that war is criminal or that accepting it is a criminal attitude. In fact, we have been brainwashed. War is neither glamorous nor attractive. It is monstrous. Its very nature is one of tragedy and suffering" --Dalai Lama

Three Ohio speakers have been announced for the 2016 Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia. One of them is Chillicothe mayor Luke Feeney. Feeney met Bill Clinton during one of his stops in Chillicothe stumping for Hillary back in March.

Feeney to speak at Democratic National Convention

CHILLICOTHE - He's been mayor of Chillicothe for less than a year, but Luke Feeney will speak on his party's biggest stage next week.

http://www.chillicothegazette.com/story/news/2016/07/21/luke-feeney-speaking-chillicothe-democratic-national-convention/87391806/

Wasserman Schultz steps down as DNC chair - She will leave her post after this week's Democratic National Convention:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/wasserman-schultz-wont-preside-over-dnc-convention-226088

Debbie seems like a nice person, but was shaky as DNC chair -- Bernie's long-held suspicions of her unfairness have now been proven.  It's now best she step down and the Party move on.  This kind of scandal is a distraction to the real issue: Donald Trump and his unfitness to serve and Hillary's qualifications to do so. ... The key now is whether Bernie's supporters will let this go.  I think Obama can be The Great Unifier and move Hillary to the finish line ... at least, I hope this is the way it will play.

^ Schultz stepped down and took another, probably better paying job with the Clinton campaign. She probably would have gotten a cushy position from Clinton whether evidence of her corruption leaked or not. Aside from a little tiny bit of bad press, there's really no repercussions for her. All Democrats should want to hold her accountable, but 2016 has become so much about stopping Trump that principles have been completely abandoned.

^ Schultz stepped down and took another, probably better paying job with the Clinton campaign. She probably would have gotten a cushy position from Clinton whether evidence of her corruption leaked or not. Aside from a little tiny bit of bad press, there's really no repercussions for her. All Democrats should want to hold her accountable, but 2016 has become so much about stopping Trump that principles have been completely abandoned.

Sometimes you have to pick your poison. It's possible to be angry but also not want to shoot yourself in the foot and allow someone into office who could fundamentally change the nature of this country in the short-term and pick several extremist Supreme Court Justices who would be around to do so in the long-term. It's that simple.

Sometimes you have to pick your poison. It's possible to be angry but also not want to shoot yourself in the foot and allow someone into office who could fundamentally change the nature of this country in the short-term and pick several extremist Supreme Court Justices who would be around to do so in the long-term. It's that simple.

The irony is of course that numerous polls show that it's Sanders, and not Clinton, that has the better chance to beat Trump.

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/2016-general-election-trump-vs-sanders

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/2016-general-election-trump-vs-clinton

I would be curious to see the RNC emails pertaining to Trump. Definitely a black eye for the Democratic Party. The Honorary Campaign Chair title from Clinton doesn't look good or help soothe the claims of corruption. Really tone-deaf move by Clinton.

Just to shove it in their faces, the RNC should invite an independent computer forensic analyst to do some data mining of their hard drives to show that it never, ever, ever engages in anything remotely close to these shenanigans

Just to shove it in their faces, the RNC should invite an independent computer forensic analyst to do some data mining of their hard drives to show that it never, ever, ever engages in anything remotely close to these shenanigans

If they did, it would certainly be an embarrassment.  Partly for the inappropriate behavior and also for how unsuccessful they were in allowing Trump to win the nomination

Hillary couldn't throw her completely under the bus.  If the two of them went to war my money is on DWS.  Every federal bureaucrat who deals with the public is scared of her.  She's Kucinich-good at constituent service but not as polite about it.

There's still a lot of Bernsters who believe they can somehow, someway flip this convention.  They will hold onto that belief until the very end when Clinton formally receives and accepts the nomination.  It will be interesting to see if they attempt any procedural obstructionism at the convention.  The DNC probably won't be able to shut them up with heavy handed tactics like the RNC did the Cruz people and other Never Trump folks at their convention.  They've already stepped in it.  Let the process be transparent.  That thing the RNC did where they refused roll-call votes shouldn't be allowed at the DNC.

It's Monday. By the end of the week, after several speakers paint a clear picture of what the alternative looks like, the party will be unified. For better or worse, Bernie attracted a lot of voters that want real change and rarely vote in primaries. They'll be voting for Ralph Nader regardless of what anyone says, but they're a smaller number than opponents want to believe or the media implies.

It's Monday. By the end of the week, after several speakers paint a clear picture of what the alternative looks like, the party will be unified. For better or worse, Bernie attracted a lot of voters that want real change and rarely vote in primaries. They'll be voting for Ralph Nader regardless of what anyone says, but they're a smaller number than opponents want to believe or the media implies.

Nader?  Or Jill Stein?

Nader is this century's generally accepted generic term for the entire field of left-leaning 3rd party candidates in any given Presidential election.

That Bernie speech felt forced and pretty obvious that the goal is to redirect the focus back to how bad of a person Trump is. Meanwhile the DNC is referring to Latinos and Mexican-Americans as "taco bowls." Safe to say this entire election is a cluster on both sides. This country desperately needs a legitimate 3rd party.

I don't watch political conventions because I can't stand politics, especially when it's scripted, but I saw two funny comments on Twitter:

-----

We may disagree on some policy points, but the crowd in Philly looks a lot more like America than the one in Cleveland.

-----

Michelle Obama's speech was so good, it'll be used at the next GOP convention.

"Most of us have been conditioned to regard military combat as exciting and glamorous -- an opportunity for men to prove their competence and courage. Since armies are legal, we feel that war is acceptable; in general, nobody feels that that war is criminal or that accepting it is a criminal attitude. In fact, we have been brainwashed. War is neither glamorous nor attractive. It is monstrous. Its very nature is one of tragedy and suffering" --Dalai Lama

That Bernie speech felt forced and pretty obvious that the goal is to redirect the focus back to how bad of a person Trump is. Meanwhile the DNC is referring to Latinos and Mexican-Americans as "taco bowls." Safe to say this entire election is a cluster on both sides. This country desperately needs a legitimate 3rd party.

Agree that a legitimate 3rd party is needed.  The phoniness of the Democratic Party has obviously reached new levels if that was even possible.  Everything Trump said about the country being in bad shape and pointed in the wrong direction was spot on, but he's not the answer either, and anti-abortion and extremely loose gun laws is not a good platform to stand on.  A common sense party that truly governs for the people with their best interest in mind is sorely needed.

Sanders speech was good. Booker's speech was very good. Michelle's speech was top notch. Warren's speech was the only disappointment  IMO. Very good night for the DNC after a somewhat rough day.  But at least people were spirited and paying keen attention, or at least the people who needed to be.

Which brings me to my 'spin' which I'm going to do in honor of some of my fellow UO'ers. The email leak was intentional. The Clintons paid the Russians to hack their emails and make it look like Trump's camp did it. Or even better yet, they paid the Russians to bait the Trump camp into paying the Russians to do it. If not for the leak, no one would've tuned into the convention. It was a goldmine of media exposure and allowed the Sanders camp to take their pound of flesh during the drafting of the platform. It filled the stadium with Bernsters who got to hear directly from FLOtUS, Booker, Warren, and Sanders why exactly they must not sit this election out. Brilliant move.

Not to brag but logistically, at least on day one, it sounds like Philly is a bit of a mess. Lots of articles and tweets surfacing from media mostly expressing their desire to return to Cleveland amidst poor conditions in PA. Unfortunately the weather has not cooperated and the severe storm last night forced the evacuation of the media tents. I believe in Cleveland most of this was housed inside the convention center, but because Wells Fargo arena is in a parking lot sea they're using tents. Another disadvantage is that the arena is miles from City Center. I'm hearing of hour long delays from shuttles and ride shares. I don't wish bad on Philly for this but sure makes me proud of Cleveland for getting through the RNC with practically no hiccups! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That Bernie speech felt forced and pretty obvious that the goal is to redirect the focus back to how bad of a person Drumpf is. Meanwhile the DNC is referring to Latinos and Mexican-Americans as "taco bowls." Safe to say this entire election is a cluster on both sides. This country desperately needs a legitimate 3rd party.

That email was talking about engaging people based on the Trump taco bowl tweet during Cinco de Mayo. You're really suggesting they were referring to Hispanics as taco bowls? Lay off the Breitbart for just a minute.