Sign in to follow this  
Guest musky

2016 Democratic National Convention

Democratic National Committee to visit Cleveland and Columbus in hunt for 2016 convention site

As Cleveland leaders wait for word on their bid to host the 2016 Republican National Convention, there's already hope for a consolation prize.

Democrats announced Wednesday that they will send a technical advisory team to Cleveland and five other cities vying for their event the same summer.

Columbus, New York, Philadelphia, Phoenix and Birmingham, Ala., also are contending. Teams from each were in Washington, D.C., for initial pitches.

Site visits will begin next month and conclude by early September.

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2014/06/democratic_national_committee_2.html

I'm predicting Philly or DC

DC seems the second most unlikely site after Birmingham.  Candidates are always trying to play up the fact that they are Washington outsiders (albeit tough for HRC to ever say that with a straight face).  Just seems implausible that they'd want the convention to be in the city that for most folks is the source of the all the country's problems.

DC?

I'm sorry.  I've had a fight with the boyfriend, my godson had an accident and have been stressed out at work.  I clearly not function properly.

DC seems the second most unlikely site after Birmingham.  Candidates are always trying to play up the fact that they are Washington outsiders (albeit tough for HRC to ever say that with a straight face).  Just seems implausible that they'd want the convention to be in the city that for most folks is the source of the all the country's problems.

DC isn't in the running. Neither party would ever want their convention in DC.

DNC sets date for Cleveland site visit

The Democratic National Committee has set the dates it will visit Cleveland as it considers the city for its 2016 national convention.

A technical advisory committee will be in town Aug. 4-5.

The group will check out venues like Quicken Loans Arena and the convention center as well as infrastructure like transportation and hotels.

Cleveland is the second of six cities the Democrats will visit.

The site visits begin in Birmingham, Ala. on July 21 and conclude in Phoenix, Ariz. on Sept. 11.

Columbus, New York and Philadelphia will be seen in between.

http://fox8.com/2014/07/03/dnc-sets-date-for-cleveland-site-visit/

Considering both parties suck & are only interested in keeping their respective gangs flush with cash, why don't they merge their convention committees. They already collude on presidential debates.

Considering both parties suck & are only interested in keeping their respective gangs flush with cash, why don't they merge their convention committees. They already collude on presidential debates.

I don't completely disagree with you.

Holy crap!  Congrats to Columbus staying alive.  That's some good company to go against.  Can it be...the battle of Ohio is looming?? :D

I've read that NYC is the long shot.

I've heard for a while that Philly was going to be the choice.  I find it hard to believe that the DNC would hold its convention in the same state as the RNC, but Ohio would be the one if it were to be done..  Plus, I would imagine that Columbus has the same infrastructure problems which DQ'd its earlier bid.

Still no announcement on the host city for their 2016 convention.  But the DNC did announce when it will be held: The week of July 25th.

That's right after the RNC holds their convention in Cleveland from July 18 to July 21.

http://www.columbusunderground.com/dnc-announces-2016-convention-date-no-host-city-yet

I can't remember a time that both conventions were 1) both so early and 2) so close to each other.

wouldn't it be a hoot to bag both of them? does anybody know how the dnc visit went last august? was there any feedback at all? and did anyone or any agency help tour them around?

I can't remember a time that both conventions were 1) both so early and 2) so close to each other.

In 2008, the DNC was held at the very end of August and the RNC was held in the first week of September.  A few days separated them, but they were very close.

In 2008, the DNC was held at the very end of August and the RNC was held in the first week of September.  A few days separated them, but they were very close.

Oh. Right. I guess I just tried blocking 2008 out of my memory

Well if Ohio does land both conventions (and it should) the media will have a short drive from one to the other and will probably stay in the state for the few days in-between and gather interest stories from all over.  Could be very exciting in Ohio July 2016!

Interesting though also excessively annoying. Being bombarded with political crap is the worst thing about being an Ohioan. I've never made my decisions based on some ad or cliche "my competitor is the DEVIL, now look at these cute children playing while I discuss why I'm god's gift to man" commercial and seeing them everywhere gets tiring real fast. I can only imagine how much that will be heightened if we landed both conventions.

But I would gladly deal with that if it meant Ohio got the economic stimulus and press of hosting both conventions.

Reposting this post from the Columbus: Conventions and Tourism News thread updating the recent news about the DNC:

There's been quite a bit of recent news about the DNC (but no site announcement yet).  Here are the updates we do have:

And to top it off:  The announcement that the DNC will be held during the week of July 25th might be very important.  Not only is it right after Cleveland hosts the RNC.  But the late July time frame would allow Ohio State to use its thousands of dorm rooms to support the DNC.

An August time frame would conflict with OSU's fall semester and would not allow the DNC to access these rooms and other the OSU resources detailed in this report at Business First:

Drake: Ohio State willing to help host Democrats in 2016

By Tom Knox, Reporter – Columbus Business First

January 27, 2015, 11:33am EST

As the chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee tours the three finalist cities this week before deciding which will host the 2016 convention, there's plenty of debate about Columbus' chances.

Columbus doesn’t have the public transportation to match the other finalists, Brooklyn and Philadelphia.  It doesn’t have the big-city reputation.  But it does have something neither of its northeastern counterparts has: A huge university willing to offer its dorm rooms, buses, students and Ohio Stadium to support the convention.

When DNC chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz toured the city Monday, she got her first chance to sit down with the man in charge of it all: Ohio State University President Michael Drake.

MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2015/01/drake-ohio-state-willing-to-help-host-democrats-in.html

i guess the dnc committee was touring again this week - they visited the brooklyn barclay arena yesterday - i happened to walk by after work

2817D8BC-90AA-4EEC-9B5B-9F644EC51B37_zpsl4idklxv.jpg

Okay, if you do see them make sure you hit them up for loose change. Or be flat out hostile, telling them they suck worse than the Nets/Knicks, or keep yelling "Dukakis is stupid." Just make damn sure they don't feel welcome there!

That's nice of OSU, but who, attending the DNC, wants to stay in a dorm room?

Thousands of convention volunteers and staff members.  Thus freeing up hotel rooms for other DNC guests.

That's nice of OSU, but who, attending the DNC, wants to stay in a dorm room?

Thousands of convention volunteers and staff members.  Thus freeing up hotel rooms for other DNC guests.

Reminds me of Mayor Perks proposal to house delegates on cruise ships back in the 70's.

I don't get the snark about using OSU dorms for convention volunteers and staff members.  The dorm housing we're talking about is either completely renovated high-rises reopened over the last two years (south campus dorms); or new construction high-rises to be opened later this year and in 2016 (north campus dorms).

- South Campus Dorms viewable in the OSU projects thread:  HERE, HERE and HERE

- North Campus Dorms viewable in the OSU projects thread:  HERE, HERE and HERE.

These are up-to-date, state-of-the-art places to stay we're talking about, not animal house.  Besides that, aren't most DNC convention volunteers and staff members either college age or just out of college anyway?

Cross-posting this from the C-BUS Conventions thread:

More about the bid to the DNC from the Dispatch's Capital Insider column.  Some details about who might get what hotel near Nationwide Arena and the convention center.  Plus, an interesting notice about Philadelphia's bid for the DNC at the end...

Capitol Insider: Nominee could command the Horseshoe

By Darrel Rowland, The Columbus Dispatch

Published: Sunday, February 1, 2015

Columbus has “offered” but not necessarily “pitched” 105,000-seat Ohio Stadium for the Democratic nominee's acceptance speech, a source with knowledge of the plan says. ... Party leaders also are proposing the Joseph, a new Le Meridien hotel in the Short North, to house major Democratic donors.  The Hilton Columbus Downtown and the Hyatt Regency, both next to the Greater Columbus Convention Center, would serve as joint convention headquarters, the source said.  One likely would house the nominee, the other President Obama.  The Ohio delegation would get premium space just outside the proposed security perimeter at the Crowne Plaza on Nationwide Boulevard.

(. . .)

According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, that city already has a convention planned the week of Democratic gathering, with 18,000 people registered that would have to move.  There is also concern about the number of hotel rooms available for two large conventions.

MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/02/01/nominee-could-command-the-horseshoe.html

Okay, if you do see them make sure you hit them up for loose change. Or be flat out hostile, telling them they suck worse than the Nets/Knicks, or keep yelling "Dukakis is stupid." Just make damn sure they don't feel welcome there!

There's something else that could make the DNC feel unwelcome in NYC/Brooklyn - the ugly ongoing feud between the NYC Police and the NYC Mayor.  That's just not something you want hovering around any political convention.  This, and the news (from the above Capital Insider column) that Philadelphia already has a large convention booked during the week of DNC convention, makes me feel more confident about the Columbus bid.  But you never know until the official announcement.

I don't get the snark about using OSU dorms for convention volunteers and staff members.  The dorm housing we're talking about is either completely renovated high-rises reopened over the last two years (south campus dorms); or new construction high-rises to be opened later this year and in 2016 (north campus dorms).

These are up-to-date, state-of-the-art places to stay we're talking about, not animal house.  Besides that, aren't most DNC convention volunteers and staff members either college age or just out of college anyway?

+1

These are nice dorms, not the communal showers, 4 people to a room, no a/c places that were the norm when many of us attended college.

They are well-located to downtown, very accessible by transit, and walkable to all kinds of shopping/entertainment/restaurants/etc.

Also, I'd imagine that to many convention staff members and volunteers they would be much more preferable versus a motel at some freeway exit. I think OSU's dorms are in fact a huge asset to the Columbus bid.