Sign in to follow this  
Guest Quimbob

Electric Cars

^They're not choosing them, they're being sold them. Almost nobody needs that crap. But since Americans' #1 skill is rationalizing things and creating justifications it's easy for the marketing people and sales staff to get people (non-enthusiasts even!) to sign for an extra $5-50K.

Edited by GCrites80s

19 hours ago, GCrites80s said:

This is in contrast to when I was racing R/C in the '90s and early 2000s with Ni-Cd and NIMH batteries which always wanted a "full" discharge each cycle (to excatly 6.0v on a 7.2v pack, but still NO lower) while making the most power with a fast charge (5 amps+) but having a shorter life when charged at more than 4 amps. Some people who were really reckless would charge directly off of a full-size car battery (no charger) to nuke their batteries for a big main event. This was dangerous and would kill the batteries in a few cycles but gave another 25 watts or so. Personally, I wanted same amount of horsepower in the mains that I had in practice and the qualifying races so that I didn't blow corners or crash off of jumps. I don't think the top pros wanted a bunch of new horsepower out of nowhere either.

A kid I was friends with down the street, and this other kid from the next neighborhood had those $130~ RC cars with the NiCad batteries.  I seem to recall that there were two tiers of battery power, but that might be wrong (one that started with a 7 and another with 9?).  I only got to drive one of them 2-3 times.  They were unbelievably fast but the batteries often died in under five minutes.  It was inconceivable that I would ever get a toy that nice, but I remember spending a lot of time looking at the RC car ads in the back of magazines.  

^Most NiCd R/C cars were 7.2v (six-cell) but the Tyco Turbo Hoppers were 9.6v (eight cell). Unfortunately those 9.6v packs were filled with AA-size batteries so you didn't get any more run time than the 7.2v packs which were filled with sub-C batteries. I was having an OK time with the toy-grade cars until a track opened in an old Nissan dealership at East Main St. and I-270 in 1991. The Tyco, Nikko, Radio Shack and Sears cars could barely make it around the track at all from being too light, bouncing all around and not having limited-slip differentials. For only about $30 more you could get a Kyosho or Tamiya that could easily navigate the track and had replaceable parts. And the battery charged in only 15 minutes rather than 4-8 hours!

Then I promptly set about accidentally double-charging the battery on the bedroom floor of a buddy's brand new trailer home, melting the carpet in the process.