Sign in to follow this  
Guest surfohio

Ohio Music

I remember jamming with a lot of different people in Portsmouth. I was new to playing since I didn't start until I was 21, but the established musicians around town still gave me a chance. Considering I almost never give anyone worse than me a chance I really appreciated it lol

The local musicians would come over to watch other bands practice since there weren't any good jobs anyway. A lot of them were 10-15 years older than us. Of course there was weed being exchanged so that might have motivated it. They knew not to freak us out with the hard stuff since they could tell it was a no sell. Optimistic college students and all, us. There was this one guy, Pillhead Chris, who tried to keep my keyboard so that he could get some crazy MIDI multitracking going on but my comparatively sober Coors Light ass went over there and went all Stone Cold on him.

If you know Massillon, Ohio then you know about "Tiger Pride."

Patrick Sweany came up with that song, and Patrick hails from Massillon (though nothing about his Ohio past is listed on Patrick's website anymore  ???)

^I saw some map of the popularity of that act and was surprised to see that they are indeed somewhat popular in Columbus (less popular here than I thought though, considering) but holy hell are they huge in Utah. Apparently Utah loves white rappers.

^I saw some map of the popularity of that act and was surprised to see that they are indeed somewhat popular in Columbus (less popular here than I thought though, considering) but holy hell are they huge in Utah. Apparently Utah loves white rappers.

They have a song about that!

I'd call them alternative rather than rap though.

i just heard christmas wrapping the other day out and i thought -- whoa too soon.

rip clevelander patty donohue and trivia chris butler got shot at at kent state.

A documentary on The Union in Athens can now be watched on Vimeo.  Whoever did this did a great job.  I donated a bunch of photos to it.  The non-band ones I took that will jump out are the ones of Jerry Springer and of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. 

• Like 1

Arguably the most successful Ohio band that's not really officially an Ohio band. 

The Music Box Hosts Release Party for Book on The Cars’ Ben Orr, a Cleveland Native

Sat 1/12 @ 7PM

Cleveland will claim anyone famous as its own, even if they left town at the age of 2. But it has a legitimate claim to the Cars, the ’80s new wave band out of Boston. Its two frontmen, guitarist/lead vocalist Ric Ocasek and lead vocalist/bassist Ben Orr, who wrote the group’s songs, met in the Cleveland area, where Orr was born and raised (in Lakewood and Parma) and Ocasek moved as a teenager (graduating from Maple Heights High School).

By the mid ’70s, they had both moved to Boston and worked their way through a success of bands before forming the Cars in 1978, influenced by the rise of cool, synth-based, mechanical sounds acts such as Talking Heads and Devo, who combined a flat, emotionless delivery with catchy tunes. They became the most successful of all those bands, selling tens of millions of albums in their decade as a recording act. They were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame last year.

While there have been multiple books about the band, Joe Milliken’s new book, Let’s Go! Benjamin Orr and the Cars, focuses on the Clevelander, born Benjamin Orzechowksi, who died of pancreatic cancer in 2000 at the age of 53.

Known to readers of Jane Scott’s popular music news column in the Plain Dealer as “Benny 11-letters,” he was a local celebrity while still in his teens. Not that that was unusual at the time: The vibrant local music scene teemed with high school bands inspired by the Beatles. Orr performed with the Grasshoppers and appearing regularly on the Cleveland-based, nationally syndicated Upbeat Show. The New England-based Milliken interviewed more than 120 family, friends and associates from all phases of Orr’s life.

Milliken will appear at the Music Box Supper Club for a release party for the book. He’ll give a 45-minute presentation, followed by a 90-minure performance by Ohio Cars tribute band Moving in Stereo.

Tickets are $12 in advance, $15 at the door.

musicboxcle.com/lets-go-jan12/

https://coolcleveland.com/2019/01/music-box-hosts-release-party-books-cars-ben-orr-cleveland-native/

16 hours ago, surfohio said:

Arguably the most successful Ohio band that's not really officially an Ohio band. 

The Music Box Hosts Release Party for Book on The Cars’ Ben Orr, a Cleveland Native

Sat 1/12 @ 7PM

Cleveland will claim anyone famous as its own, even if they left town at the age of 2. But it has a legitimate claim to the Cars, the ’80s new wave band out of Boston. Its two frontmen, guitarist/lead vocalist Ric Ocasek and lead vocalist/bassist Ben Orr, who wrote the group’s songs, met in the Cleveland area, where Orr was born and raised (in Lakewood and Parma) and Ocasek moved as a teenager (graduating from Maple Heights High School).

By the mid ’70s, they had both moved to Boston and worked their way through a success of bands before forming the Cars in 1978, influenced by the rise of cool, synth-based, mechanical sounds acts such as Talking Heads and Devo, who combined a flat, emotionless delivery with catchy tunes. They became the most successful of all those bands, selling tens of millions of albums in their decade as a recording act. They were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame last year.

While there have been multiple books about the band, Joe Milliken’s new book, Let’s Go! Benjamin Orr and the Cars, focuses on the Clevelander, born Benjamin Orzechowksi, who died of pancreatic cancer in 2000 at the age of 53.

Known to readers of Jane Scott’s popular music news column in the Plain Dealer as “Benny 11-letters,” he was a local celebrity while still in his teens. Not that that was unusual at the time: The vibrant local music scene teemed with high school bands inspired by the Beatles. Orr performed with the Grasshoppers and appearing regularly on the Cleveland-based, nationally syndicated Upbeat Show. The New England-based Milliken interviewed more than 120 family, friends and associates from all phases of Orr’s life.

Milliken will appear at the Music Box Supper Club for a release party for the book. He’ll give a 45-minute presentation, followed by a 90-minure performance by Ohio Cars tribute band Moving in Stereo.

Tickets are $12 in advance, $15 at the door.

musicboxcle.com/lets-go-jan12/

https://coolcleveland.com/2019/01/music-box-hosts-release-party-books-cars-ben-orr-cleveland-native/

I've been looking forward to this book for awhile.   Joe is on my FB friends list via Gorman's page, we talked a little bit about Ric's background.   As I mentioned upthread, his past bio was very vague until just before they got into the Hall.   He was known to be hypersensitive about his age, though.

The Cars is likely the Clevelandest band in the Hall.