Jump to content
musky

Cleveland: MetroHealth Medical Center

Recommended Posts

I think not having any new buildings along west 25th is a mistake. They don't necessarily need to be Metro campus buildings but there certainly doesn't need to be a park that stretches 5 blocks on your major street. Add buildings at the north end of the park on 25th until you get to the main hospital building. There looks to be room for 5 buildings and possibly 2 across the street on that empty lot. That way there can still be a large park in front of the main hospital and equal sized park sections on either side of the "Hospital's driveway".

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A nice usable park on a hospital campus would be nice.  But this isn't a good design at all.  Having a place where visitors can sit on bench with some trees could be nice while they are visiting loved ones who are in the hospital.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sammy Voz said:

I think not having any new buildings along west 25th is a mistake. They don't necessarily need to be Metro campus buildings but there certainly doesn't need to be a park that stretches 5 blocks on your major street. Add buildings at the north end of the park on 25th until you get to the main hospital building. There looks to be room for 5 buildings and possibly 2 across the street on that empty lot. That way there can still be a large park in front of the main hospital and equal sized park sections on either side of the "Hospital's driveway".

 

Many of the best designed cities counter the notion of not having expansive parks on their main streets. I don’t see the park not happening, so I think it’s more important to focus on the execution of it rather than hoping for buildings that aren’t going to happen. 

Edited by imjustinjk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope buses will stop at the actual hospital once it's moved back from the road, instead of dropping people on the wrong side of the greenspace.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2019 at 1:52 PM, imjustinjk said:

 

Many of the best designed cities counter the notion of not having expansive parks on their main streets. I don’t see the park not happening, so I think it’s more important to focus on the execution of it rather than hoping for buildings that aren’t going to happen. 

Trendy design or not, I think it's equally important to point out that this is just lipstick on a pig. A pink squealing desolate stretch of W 25th that spans a whole urban neighborhood.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sammy Voz said:

Trendy design or not, I think it's equally important to point out that this is just lipstick on a pig. A pink squealing desolate stretch of W 25th that spans a whole urban neighborhood.

 

Apparently parks are ruinous, desolate blights and cities should just be covered in buildings completely and utterly 100%. Many people on this form seem to be super anti greenspace, which is insane. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, imjustinjk said:

 

Apparently parks are ruinous, desolate blights and cities should just be covered in buildings completely and utterly 100%. Many people on this form seem to be super anti greenspace, which is insane. 

No it's because we see another large hospital campus over at Euclid and east 100th that has large green spaces that exist without any way to use them. They exist to look nice from a patient's window and seperate the hospital from the surroinding city. Do you think anyone will get off a bus that stops on W25th in January and walk 400 yards through a snowy, cold 'park' to get to their appointments at metro?

 

I don't want to speak for everyone else on here, but Perk Park is great since it was rebuilt. It now interacts with the neighborhood instead of being a sunken bunker. Public square got it mostly right with amanities to bring young and old through all seasons. Edgewater now has improved connections to the neighborhoods up on the bluffs, and the beach house which hosts events all summer. 

 

If anything besides a city block wide swath of just grass and oak trees get laid down I will be surprised.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm like a block away and my kid and I will go to this park for sure. It's just the size of the park and the usage of a small section of the land that I'm disappointed in. You get these kind of opportunities once every 50 years and doing this right could really help this area along.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  • Like 1

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There will be a Metro community open house this Thursday, the 8th, and next Thursday, the 15th, from 6-7:30PM. 

 

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/community-open-house-tickets-64981298814

 

>Please join MetroHealth and Councilwoman Jasmin Santana for an interactive, virtual reality tour of the new hospital and for updates on neighborhood initiatives, programming and planned investments. Let’s continue the conversation and see how we're working together to support and strengthen our community. 

The event is free, parking will be free in the Sackett Lot (on MetroHealth Drive between W. 25th Street and Scranton Road), and refreshments will be served. We look forward to seeing you!

 

Edited by imjustinjk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"The NRP Group, a vertically-integrated, best-in-class developer, builder and manager of multifamily housing, today announced it will partner with The MetroHealth System and CCH Development Corp. to develop a mixed-use community in Cleveland's Clark-Fulton neighborhood."

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/the-nrp-group-metrohealth-system-and-cch-development-corp-develop-mixed-use-community-in-cleveland-300888098.html

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cleveland said:

Will there be a tower crane for the metro health building? 

 

Probably. It's a 10-story building and considering that it will have a pretty large footprint, there's a possibility it might need two tower cranes.

 

4e0_screenshot20190313at90034am.jpeg

Edited by KJP
  • Like 1

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1980s


"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Cleveland said:

Interesting. When was the last time Cleveland had 4 or more tower cranes up at once? 

At the very moment What are the 4 - Lumen, Church & State, Metrohealth( soon )   and    ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes that is what I am going off of is Lumen, Church & State and soon to be Metro Health with either 1 or 2. We have to remember that Market Square could have 2 cranes as well but will they be up at the same time as all of these other ones? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KJP said:

 

Probably. It's a 10-story building and considering that it will have a pretty large footprint, there's a possibility it might need two tower cranes.

 

4e0_screenshot20190313at90034am.jpeg

 

Metro will have one crane. Should be erected in the next few weeks. 

 

Four cranes are - lumen, church+state, metro, and the slow-build drury in Orange. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pics from my bike commute this morning (hence the meh quality) #cranes

20190815_082949.jpg

 

20190815_083009.jpg

 

20190815_083011.jpg

Edited by GISguy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2019 at 8:41 AM, KJP said:

 

Probably. It's a 10-story building and considering that it will have a pretty large footprint, there's a possibility it might need two tower cranes.

 

4e0_screenshot20190313at90034am.jpeg

I like the current twin cylinders a lot better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Terdolph said:

I like the current twin cylinders a lot better.

As someone whose wife works at Metro, the cylinders are cool but the interior layout is an absolute nightmare. This building will improve that hospital in alot of ways. Though one way it may not improve is by it's reduction of beds. That's to be seen. 

Edited by KFM44107

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So for whatever reason i didnt think this project was going to start so soon..  they are not messing around and its wonderful!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool little event. There were VR headsets to take a virtual tour of the new hospital. Construction manager from Turner was present as well as various other people involved in the project. The bed tower will consist of single patient rooms, no more shared rooms.The ER building will remain, and connect to the new tower. The ER building will also house nicu/pediatric related specialties with a rooftop garden for patients. The plan to tear down the outpatient facilities and integrate outpatient services throughout the county in communities sounds interesting, but nervous about their plans with the park and connectivity to the rest of the neighborhood. One of the speakers stressed the lack of green space in Clark-Fulton, which is true... but some grass and trees do not benefit anyone.  

E829D176-6574-4AD3-9FC6-801F42B17B6F.jpeg

C68367C8-43C5-4625-A45F-6F33AC8A4797.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KFM44107 said:

As someone whose wife works at Metro, the cylinders are cool but the interior layout is an absolute nightmare. This building will improve that hospital in alot of ways. Though one way it may not improve is by it's reduction of beds. That's to be seen. 

 

It was mentioned that as healthcare changes, and technology improves the need for beds is declining. Many procedures can be performed as outpatient. Doctors can look at many things endoscopically now, and don’t have to cut people open. Shared beds in rooms also have a lot of detractors, including patient health & recovery. Etc. etc. Don’t cite me though, I’m not a doctor haha. This was just part of the spiel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, imjustinjk said:

 

It was mentioned that as healthcare changes, and technology improves the need for beds is declining. Many procedures can be performed as outpatient. Doctors can look at many things endoscopically now, and don’t have to cut people open. Shared beds in rooms also have a lot of detractors, including patient health & recovery. Etc. etc. Don’t cite me though, I’m not a doctor haha. This was just part of the spiel. 

 

This is true, it was a big factor in the Lakewood Hospital closure.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2019 at 8:56 PM, imjustinjk said:

 

It was mentioned that as healthcare changes, and technology improves the need for beds is declining. Many procedures can be performed as outpatient. Doctors can look at many things endoscopically now, and don’t have to cut people open. Shared beds in rooms also have a lot of detractors, including patient health & recovery. Etc. etc. Don’t cite me though, I’m not a doctor haha. This was just part of the spiel. 

 

Those are all true statements. However, they are not the reasons why Metro is downsizing. For years, Metro has been trying to compete with UH and the Cleveland Clinic for inpatient procedures... and losing. Especially now that UH is also a Level 1 Trauma center, Metro's trauma volume has gone down by almost 40% according to some sources. This is a reflection of having 3 major medical centers in a city and region with a shrinking population. At some point, one of the systems has to buckle, and it just happens to be Metro. To try to counter the lower patient volume, Metro is downsizing its inpatient capacity and focusing on outpatient procedures, which is cheaper to provide. Ultimately though, there are talks that the Clinic may eventually buy out Metro since the latter is constantly losing money. That would be consistent with the Clinic's goal of wiping out UH - they already took the medical school from UH, and if the Clinic joins hands with Metro to provide Level 1 trauma services, UH is pretty screwed. Healthcare politics is a pretty nasty business, especially in today's market forces.  

  • Like 1
  • Dislike 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, clevelandspirit said:

 

Those are all true statements. However, they are not the reasons why Metro is downsizing. For years, Metro has been trying to compete with UH and the Cleveland Clinic for inpatient procedures... and losing. Especially now that UH is also a Level 1 Trauma center, Metro's trauma volume has gone down by almost 40% according to some sources. This is a reflection of having 3 major medical centers in a city and region with a shrinking population. At some point, one of the systems has to buckle, and it just happens to be Metro. To try to counter the lower patient volume, Metro is downsizing its inpatient capacity and focusing on outpatient procedures, which is cheaper to provide. Ultimately though, there are talks that the Clinic may eventually buy out Metro since the latter is constantly losing money. That would be consistent with the Clinic's goal of wiping out UH - they already took the medical school from UH, and if the Clinic joins hands with Metro to provide Level 1 trauma services, UH is pretty screwed. Healthcare politics is a pretty nasty business, especially in today's market forces.  

Meh. I thought the purpose of Metro - as a public hospital - is meant to serve all residents of Cuayhoga County, not make a profit like pseudo non-profits CCF and UH. I'm not in the mix, but I really doubt it'd be possible (or even legal) for CC to buy them out. The campus right now is built for medical care of years past, much like many buildings in town aren't built for modern offices with wifi, data cable runs, etc., and it's a much needed upgrade.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to mention... Why would the clinic buy metro when metro provides an easy way for them to avoid financially challenging patients? CCF dropped pretty much all the Obamacare and Medicaid plans (except Oscar) and all those patients go to Metro.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...