Sign in to follow this  
Quimbob

Urban Wildlife

I would like to see this. Great asset to have for the city, especially when the towpath is fully connected with downtown residents this park will be even more popular. 

Saw an owl perched on a tree at Playhouse Square today next to the Dynamite Burger joint. I wonder if mice are feeding on leftovers. Its amazing what just a couple of trees can do. With the cacophony of loud city noises in downtown Cleveland I was very surprise to see this. I know there are a nesting pair of Peregrine Falcons  on one of the ledges on Terminal Tower in the spring and summer months feeding on an endless supply of pigeons at Public Square. There is a FB page that I like to follow that has great photos of that pair and others throughout the city that I recommend:  https://www.facebook.com/ChadandChrisOhioPeregrinePage/

I was lucky and got a few seconds of a coyote in Cincinnati last night:

Here's where he was...on the space on the berm between Frisch's and the Rest Inn with no trees:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1417953,-84.530795,55m/data=!3m1!1e3

I saw him trotting across Central Parkway as I drove north and followed him into the shuttered Frisch's parking lot. 

Apparently penguins have been spotted in South African streets. I have no idea which of these stories are true, which are common before the quarantine, and which are just complete lies. But it's fun to watch penguins anyway.

No photos as of yet, but I've been having a months-long Caddyshack-like battle with a few huge groundhogs who have a rather elaborate complex of tunnels in the hillsides above Over-the-Rhine. I've never seen groundhogs in this part of town for the ~7 years I've lived here, until now, and they're everywhere, and they eat everything.