Sign in to follow this  
Quimbob

Urban Wildlife

I don't know the proper name for that. We used to call them "bagworms" but that may be incorrect. Anyway, if you can reach them you can cut off the affected branches and dispose of the branches to keep them from spreading. I don't think they are harmful except that they eat leaves.

Beulah Park is a great place for feral and semi feral cats as several people around here put out food and there are even some hutch shelters down close to the lake on the path to the park.

I suppose that also means we have a prodigious population of "woods kitties" too. 

^^ Seconded, cut it down and throw it away. I've got a 14' bypass pruner you can borrow if it's too high to cut down otherwise.

This is happening in my back yard, right now:

What is this?  Do I need to take action?

My first thought was gypsy moth caterpillars. Though I'm fairly certain if it was them you would be seeing those everywhere, and not just in your yard.

They look like tent caterpillars. By themselves, they probably won't do too much damage, but when there's an outbreak (like we had in NY back when I was a teenager), they can defoliate entire trees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tent_caterpillar

I agree with Eight, you should probably cut down that branch and get rid of it. When we had the outbreak we would burn the nests.

I see those webs in the trees lining the highways of I-77 in Virginia and NC.

Given the time of year, you are most likely dealing with Fall Webworms

While we're on the subject of trees, anybody notice the uptick in spread of the Tree of Heaven? I cut down two of them on my neighbors property that were 25 ft tall. They have been suckering from the root system in my backyard like crazy all summer. I hate these damn things and wish Ohio DNR would take a stronger push to eradicate them.

They are highly invasive and grow quickly, crowding out native species. They spread like weeds and grow to the size of common trees. I see them more and more along highways in dense clusters. And they are all over the place in Cleveland proper.

http://forestry.ohiodnr.gov/treeofheaven

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ailanthus_altissima

https://www.google.com/search?q=tree+of+heaven&safe=active

treeofheaven-leavesandfruits-full.jpg

So that's what that is.  I had one a few years back.  Before I knew it, it had gone from a few feet to probably over 20.  I still find its roots whenever I dig near where it was

Ugh, ailanthus. I hate those trees to an irrational extent. I hate their leaves, their bark, their everything. They are part of the junk plant ecosystem that takes over every rail right of way and other kinds of urban no man's land. Noting all that recent about them in North America, though. In fact, it's the species of the eponymous tree in the famous 1940s novel "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn."

Ugh, ailanthus. I hate those trees to an irrational extent. I hate their leaves, their bark, their everything. They are part of the junk plant ecosystem that takes over every rail right of way and other kinds of urban no man's land. Noting all that recent about them in North America, though. In fact, it's the species of the eponymous tree in the famous 1940s novel "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn."

Don't forget about the awful smell when you try to cut them down. It's like skunk defense.

Thanks for the literary aside. Neat to know!

I have a personal hatred toward the invasive vines that grow all along the Cuyahoga River in the Flats. Whatever it is, it's so terrible...

^I hate that too! The Irishtown Bend slope is full of junk plants like that. Whenever it's stabilized, I hope it's also thoroughly burnt out (metaphorically) and replanted with native species.

^I hate that too! The Irishtown Bend slope is full of junk plants like that. Whenever it's stabilized, I hope it's also thoroughly burnt out (metaphorically) and replanted with native species.

Let's get a flamethrower, someone on here must have one we can borrow.

Strap if you ever see any of the Cleveland Memory pics of the Flats, it's very strange, all of the plant life looks vastly different.

You can add phragmites to the list of invasive species along the Flats that drive me nuts. A flamethrower would be a waste of time with any of these plants. They need to be killed with combination herbicides -- glyphosate and triclophyr or they'll grow back in no time.

Cutting down a mature tree of heaven causes the root system to send up suckers from the roots. That one tree will turn into dozens of new plants all growing from the original root stock unless it's poisoned/killed first before cutting it down.

You can add phragmites to the list of invasive species along the Flats that drive me nuts. A flamethrower would be a waste of time with any of these plants. They need to be killed with combination herbicides -- glyphosate and triclophyr or they'll grow back in no time.

How about a trained army of muskrats?

I have a little sliver of nature right behind my house because it sits on one of the steep hillsides around Cincinnati's basin. It makes for some interesting wildlife, from turtles to deer to what seems like thousands of Lazarus Lizards (I can't step outside in the summer without hearing all the grass and leaves rustle as those guys move about). I get a ton of birds, too. I don't have a bird feeder but leave some seed spread out on the rails of my deck a few days a week - they are almost 20 feet above the ground and provide a nice perch for the usual suspects - I grabbed a few photos today:

There are tons of Cardinals:

IMG_2304.jpg

IMG_2318.jpg

A few Blue Jays who scare away all the other birds:

IMG_2282.jpg

IMG_2317.jpg

Dove:

IMG_2299.jpg

And this guy occasionally shows up and silences the area altogether; I haven't gotten a good picture because he never stays put for very long - I think it's a red tailed hawk:

IMG_2310.jpg

While we're on the subject of trees, anybody notice the uptick in spread of the Tree of Heaven? I cut down two of them on my neighbors property that were 25 ft tall. They have been suckering from the root system in my backyard like crazy all summer. I hate these damn things and wish Ohio DNR would take a stronger push to eradicate them.

They are highly invasive and grow quickly, crowding out native species. They spread like weeds and grow to the size of common trees. I see them more and more along highways in dense clusters. And they are all over the place in Cleveland proper.

http://forestry.ohiodnr.gov/treeofheaven

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ailanthus_altissima

https://www.google.com/search?q=tree+of+heaven&safe=active

treeofheaven-leavesandfruits-full.jpg

Is this the same thing as kudzu?  I hate that stuff too.  Grows like crazy, very hard to kill.  When I lived across from Edgewater, it was all over the trees on the west slopes.  Not sure if Metroparks cleaned it up since.  It's terrible along the slopes by "Hooples"

Here is my cat playing with a mouse on the back patio...he kept capturing the mouse by sitting on him with the mouse under his chest.  I watched him do it at least five times then let it go to chase it once again.  It was the highlight of my cat's year. 

My mother's cats created a killing zone in her garage by trapping them behind an open side door. I don't bother sweeping the guts up until they dry out by my next visit.

My mother's cats created a killing zone in her garage by trapping them behind an open side door. I don't bother sweeping the guts up until they dry out by my next visit.

Any decent house cat is a masterful politician.  They are dealt a weak hand in life and always rise to exert masterful control. 

I have a red fox living in my backyard, which has a small wooded area. I think she has pups(?) or cubs(?). They stay hidden in the overgrowth.

There seems to be a high rate of distemper in North Collinwood among raccoons and skunks.  We saw a raccoon the other day that looked like a strong candidate to have it.

Here is my cat playing with a mouse on the back patio...he kept capturing the mouse by sitting on him with the mouse under his chest.  I watched him do it at least five times then let it go to chase it once again.  It was the highlight of my cat's year. 

Unlike similar Presidents, orange cats are awesome. 

I have a red fox living in my backyard, which has a small wooded area. I think she has pups(?) or cubs(?). They stay hidden in the overgrowth.

And here are her kits. What a vixen.

I have a f-in skunk under my shed.  For year, a groundhog made its home there, but I haven't seen him/her.  Now anytime the dog or I go back near the shed and make any noise, that f-er starts spraying.  Stinks so bad that I can't even walk into my shed.  Any ideas for a humane way of getting him/her out of there?

I have a f-in skunk under my shed.  For year, a groundhog made its home there, but I haven't seen him/her.  Now anytime the dog or I go back near the shed and make any noise, that f-er starts spraying.  Stinks so bad that I can't even walk into my shed.  Any ideas for a humane way of getting him/her out of there?

Call Deb at 440-327-4349. She is a skunk expert.

Also I found this on her site:

Wild animal deterrent -

8 ounces caster oil

8 ounces liquid dish detergent

1 gallon water

Mix all ingredients; pour into household spray bottle or clean garden sprayer. Spray on any vegetation, and on siding, decks, foundation, walls, doors, garbage cans, etc.

This spray will deter most wild animals, and dogs and cats in most cases, from any areas where used. Plants will not be harmed, animals that do ingest the mixture may experience some digestive discomfort or diarrhea - this is typically not life threatening. Food plants and/or fruits should be washed thoroughly if spray has been used within the previous week. Some discoloration of painted surfaces may occur (test first). This spray may also be used where animals are found to be nesting/denning in and around buildings, on undesired trails to/from water or other sources of food, or on known 'scent spots' to deter the animals.

Commercial products are available to deter wildlife, most are effective. Find more information at http://www.critter-repellent.com/skunk/skunk-repellant.php on skunk repellant.

Human hair (from barber or beauty parlor) spread around the garden and outside the home can also keep wildlife away.

If a skunk is living under the porch or in a garage you can turn on a radio, face it down and play bass music.  Many skunks do not like the loud music. Do this at dusk.

For more information call: 440-327-4349

Or e-mail: deb@skunkhaven.net www.skunkhaven.net

^ I saw this article awhile back: http://www.fox19.com/story/35241888/cicada-invasion-of-2021-might-show-up-early-in-2017

There was an early emergence of some bugs in 2000, enough that they mated quite a bit apparently. That and a few warm winters in a row triggered some early risers. There's a huge swarm holed up in the trees behind my house in CUF. They started on Thursday or Friday lat week. I don't remember them being this loud in 2004 but I don't think I lived near a swarm as big as the one I have now. The sound is nonstop from about noon until dark.

The Cicadas were so bad in Cincy in 2000. I was 13 or 14 and I was caddying that summer at The Ridge Club and I remember they were swarming everywhere, smacking me in the face while I was carrying two golf bags.  They would fly in your window while you're driving.  I wonder how many car wrecks Cicadas are responsible for. I hate Cicadas. I hope they aren't as bad in Cleveland. I do live in a pretty foresty inner ring suburb.

I wish I could get a picture, my fiance lives with her parents near Winton Woods.  Many times at night when dog watching I have noticed what I thought were owls hovering above in their back yard. 

Yesterday during Christmas breakfast a large, whiteish bird of prey, guessing wingspan of 3-4', flew across and landed in sight in their back yard (it is downhill and woody).  They tried to get the binoculars but he flew off, had a swarm of blue jays on him.

Here is what I am trying to figure out is what type of bird this is?  No picture, but wondering if anyone has seen this before:

Was very white, with what looked like darkish, redish wings and red talons.

Is this a barn owl, or is it a red-tailed immature hawk?  I almost have to think it is a barn owl because of how white it was, but I am having trouble finding any images with their talons on them being red.  It was almost a red-pinkish red talons

Given the reaction of the Blue Jays, I'd say it was likely a barn owl - there wouldn't be much of a predatory concern about a young hawk. Their pigment can change slightly pending temperature and some other factors - based on my limited knowledge of birds. 

Nice thank you.  After reviewing the flight and size of barn owls I agree with you.  Looked very similar.  Too bad I couldn't get a good look at it, hopefuly next time

A couple of weeks ago my wife caught a female peacock (peahen) on video in the Bob Evans parking lot in Monfort Heights. I looked on the internet and apparently peacocks can survive the winter here in the Midwest and one guy even said they can join up with turkey flocks. Also zoos have issues maintaining a reasonable sized flock because they are prolific reproducers. 

Edited by thebillshark

www.cincinnatiideas.com

On Sunday night I saw a beaver cross McMillan St. near the McDonald's.  At first I thought it was a racoon, but I watched him scurry into the empty area where the Dairy Mart stood until recently.  Definitely a beaver.  

• Haha 1

I almost hit one on the northbound exit ramp to westbound Western Hills Viaduct a few weeks ago.   Their are quite a few that wander the slopes of Fairview Park, Clifton Ave, east towards Jackson Hill Park

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1246396,-84.5348368,79a,35y,90h,39.48t/data=!3m1!1e3

Edited by oakiehigh

18 hours ago, jmecklenborg said:

On Sunday night I saw a beaver cross McMillan St. near the McDonald's.  At first I thought it was a racoon, but I watched him scurry into the empty area where the Dairy Mart stood until recently.  Definitely a beaver.  

Ground hogs look a lot like beavers. There are no streams/ponds near that area where a beaver could live, and beavers don't move well on land. 

It is 100% a groundhog. We live very close to the Victory/McMillan intersection and there are at least two groundhogs that roam our and our neighbors' backyards.