Sign in to follow this  
Quimbob

Urban Wildlife

Heard this on the radio this AM. In Addis Ababa, they are having a problem with urban hyenas.

"Hyenas," says Stephen. Some of the fiercest predators on earth. And they are brazenly scavenging around a collection of rubbish skips right next to a football pitch and less than 50 yds from people's homes.

As we watch, a group of teenagers walks up the track, right past the animals. "They're mad," Stephen remarks. Hyenas have jaws as powerful as those of great white sharks, he explains. They can crush an elephant's leg. They devour every last morsel of their prey - bones included. "I mean - there's nothing left," he says.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26294631

That's crazy. I took my kids on the 'Safari' at Nemacolin last year (which, I would absolutely advise you NOT do. Complete ripoff, as you can walk around on your own for free and see the same animals without the guide), and the guide said if she had a choice of being trapped with the Tiger or the hyenas (which happened to be housed next to each other), she'd pick the Tiger. She said the same thing about the jaw strength. They will absolutely rip you apart, and many times snap the metal sticks the caretakers used to push the raw meat in to feed them.

gah

I brought this up because people from my area of Porkopolis on a SoMed site, Nextdoor, brought it up. There's a large park connected to a large cemetery by a ribbon of hillside woods that results in a sizable critter population. With the only predator being the automobile, deer breed like crazy & there's some coyote, too. From time to time the cops drive thru the large park & shoot the deer.

This clip talks about the impact of reintroducing wolves to Yellowstone and while it might be kind of cool, probably isn't practical in Ohio cities.

Thankfully no hyenas..... but I have a groundhog that lives under my shed (which I hear is a good thing because it keeps the skunks away), an owl that lives in the conifer right next to my shed, deer rampantly roaming my neighborhood, and my dog once had to chase a coyote out of our backyard.  We used to have rabbits all over the place too, until my cat decided one summer to completely eradicate the population.  It's crazy because I live not that far from where I grew up and the most we ever saw as kids were squirrels and chipmunks.  I suppose with my property nearly abbuting one of the metroparks plays into that a lot.  But I still think the urban wildlife has gotten a bit out of control...

Thankfully no hyenas..... but I have a groundhog that lives under my shed (which I hear is a good thing because it keeps the skunks away), an owl that lives in the conifer right next to my shed, deer rampantly roaming my neighborhood, and my dog once had to chase a coyote out of our backyard.  We used to have rabbits all over the place too, until my cat decided one summer to completely eradicate the population.  It's crazy because I live not that far from where I grew up and the most we ever saw as kids were squirrels and chipmunks.  I suppose with my property nearly abbuting one of the metroparks plays into that a lot.  But I still think the urban wildlife has gotten a bit out of control...

when I lived in Anderson Twp I had coyotes run up my driveway and into the woods behind my house (which is all woods down to St. Rt 32).

The area is probably one of the largest wooded areas in the Twp. They get a whiff of deer especially during when Deer are giving birth.

I also saw foxes.

I could understand in a Twp.  But I live in a fairly densely populated area of the inner-ring burbs on the east side of Cleveland.  Yet, one day I'm grilling in my back yard and see old Wile himself just standing there by my shed like it was nothing..... until he saw my 100 pound german shepherd barreling towards him and he jumped the fence (actually, he kind of flipped over the fence since his back legs didn't quite clear it) and took off.

A couple years ago the local munis by me put out a warning to keep an eye on small children and not to leave them unattended in the back yard (duh!) because coyotes were getting more brazen and saw them as prey.

Also, we are in danger of being overrun by chipmunks. I've heard if put gum in the holes they dig in the ground they'll eat them and then choke to death. I haven't gotten to the point where I'm that heartless....yet.

Hey Quimb, nice thread.  Just wondered if you are as concerned as I am about the loss of bat populations.  A few years ago my wife and I used to see swarms of little brown bats in the summer around our pool.  Now we are down to just a few per season.

slumcat, I AM totally freaked out about the lack of bats where I live in Cincinnati as compared to where I grew up in Springfield.

Anyway, people tell me there's a lot of bats in Cincinnati, but I don't see 'em.

massive buttloads of batfood insects, tho....

Two years ago I saw a buck dear t-bone a minivan on Clifton Ave. across from Good Samaritan Hospital.  I was driving southbound (uphill) and the deer dashed from the hospital over toward Burnett Woods and went POW into a northbound (downhill) minivan.  It looked very painful seeing the deer's head snap to the driver's side door so sharply.  He didn't know what happened and neither did the driver of the van.  It didn't look like the antlers actually punctured the exterior of the car, but the driver is lucky that her window wasn't open, since a few inches in another direction and she could have caught a face full of those antlers. 

I see a lot of bats in the summer in downtown Cincy and OTR.  I assume they roost in vacant attics, and I was wondering if they would loose habitat when the buildings get rehabbed? 

Also, my kids found a rabbit in Washington Park last week. They chased it and it ran all over the length of the park.  I can't imagine how he got there after all that construction and where would the nest be?

Bats (i.e. winged rodents) freak me out, so I couldn't imagine being freaked out by their absence.  But if any of you bat lovers are in Cleveland and want to see the little devils in person, I'd highly recommend the parking garage underneath Tower City.

Ah yes there were a lot of bats flying around when I lived on Mulberry St.  You might be right in guessing that they lived in vacant buildings, since there are no shortage of them on E. Clifton. 

A lot of bats live on the hillsides surrounding OTR. I watched 4th of July fireworks from Bellevue Hill Park one year and the bats were going crazy from the noise.

I also used to see a lot when I lived on Digby Avenue on the west side of UC's campus. There was a large park space just west of my place.

My old commute to work would have me on the stairs at Clifton & Ohio (Cincinnati) and, at dawn, the trees on the hillside had about a gazillion crows in them making an outrageous racket.

A very large murder.

I've seen a significant decline in chipmunks in Cincinnati & I have herd the same in Dayton.

I think they came north and settled in my garage.

A few things about urban bats...the decline in bat populations isn't really due to habitat loss, it's all about the white nose fungus, a disease that interferes with bat hibernation.  They wake up in mid-winter when there's no food source and quickly starve.  This should freak you out, as bats and humans exist in a state of mutual symbiosis.  ie. , the bat eats mosquitos, an insect which spreads human disease.  And some have even suggested that human activity actually contributes to bat habitat because we build structures that they find hospitable for hibernation and nesting.  Unless you happen to come in contact with a rabid one,  bats can't possibly hurt you...I'd be far more worried about contracting west nile from a mosquito bite.  Anyway, the white nose fungus has been rapidly spreading just over the past two or three years, and has already wiped out millions of individuals in a very short time.  It is entirely possible that many species of bats will be extinct in just a few years, including the little brown bat which is by far the most common one in the northeast.

No shortage of chipmunks where I live.

My wife enjoys feeding her critters and has several pole and ground feeders around our patio. She puts out peanuts in the shell for the squirrels and also whole corn on the cob. Watching the small ones attempt to drag off a whole ear of corn is amusing. She puts out a variety of bird seed to get a variety of birds. We have a pretty good crop of orioles, yellow finches, and morning doves, along with some woodpeckers and the pesky blue jays.

Our neighbor has a pond with a couple of pair of mallards. They come waddling over daily to get their portion of cracked corn.

I also have a groundhog under my shed.

One night last week I saw a raccoon on our patio. Don't know where it came from as it has been some time since I saw one.

There is a large city park to the rear of us which supplies the deer. Should be seeing more of them soon as they just love chomping on spring lillies.

I know there are coyote in Mason, but I have never seen any in our immediate neighborhood.

Our neighbor to the rear has a very large pine tree in their back yard. There is a hawk which roosts in the top of it. It does a pretty good job keeping the field mice population down. But it also flies over and swoops a bird off our feeders.

Oh yes, I almost forgot the rabbits. We have plenty of rabbits in the neighborhood.

^That's cool

When I lived in Kamms corner neighborhood of Cleveland a few years ago, I was sitting on my porch in the middle of the day and all of the sudden, clippity cloppity right down the middle of the street was a huge ass deer -  antlers and all - as if he owned the neighborhood... which I think he did. Not too surprising given the distance of my old house from the Rocky River Reservation, but still.

I had an instant craving for Jagermeister after that. Went with Absinthe instead... and thus began the biggest change in my whole life.

99.gif

I swear some of those commercials have run on My43 up here in the Cleve. Around the same time of night as Norton Furniture.

For me the best was when the neighborhood raccoon climed up the house's siding and was sitting on my windowsill on the second floor looking in at me. Especially in the middle of the night.

Public on a 'bear hunt,' police close park

The black bear that has been clawing around Greater Cincinnati for about two weeks has made another appearance, and this time people are determined to get a peek.

Experts say the bear, which was first sighted in Miami Township June 24, swam across the Ohio River from Kentucky. Officials waited for days for the male black bear to make its way back into more rural areas, and it was last spotted June 29 in Oakley.

Was going back through my youtube channel and saw this beaver video I made in 2010 when I had first gotten a Canon 5D Mark II with the hi-res video and was testing it out.  This video's highlight arrives at 0:38:

Also, watch this deer head sing: