Louisville, KY: Museum Plaza

Guest Drake

has anyone else seen this yet?

bilde?Site=B2&Date=20060209&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=602090386&Ref=AR&Profile=1008&MaxW=500&title=1

skyline-large.jpg

Skyscraper to transform Louisville skyline

Radical architectural creation to house museum, condos, offices

By Chris Poynter

[email protected]

The Courier-Journal

It will thrust 61 stories into the sky, a trio of towers that will dominate Louisville's skyline.

It will feature an acre-sized "island," open to the public, that will hover 22 stories in the air.

"The fact that a world-renowned architect is designing a building and he's drawn here by local citizens … to me is a tremendous reflection of confidence in what is going on in Louisville."

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060209/NEWS01/602090386/1008

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a truly bizarre design!

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

well from the windows i think 70s, from the shape, i think "la defense"

ditto on the rencen. i've always joked it looked like a spaceship, apparently this is the rencen go-botting (yes there are jews in louisville) into its other form

Regardless, if i'm ever near louisville when its completed, i absolutely  have to stop to see it.

sorry i didn't realize it was the wrong section mod.

buw here are more renderings. i'm proud to have this going up i nthe ohio valley region

bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=B2&Dato=20060208&Kategori=NEWS01&Lopenr=208008&Ref=PH&Item=4&MaxH=400

bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=B2&Dato=20060208&Kategori=NEWS01&Lopenr=208008&Ref=PH&Item=5&MaxH=400

bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=B2&Dato=20060208&Kategori=NEWS01&Lopenr=208008&Ref=PH&Item=10&MaxW=455

bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=B2&Dato=20060208&Kategori=NEWS01&Lopenr=208008&Ref=PH&Item=11&MaxW=455

this is what one of the architects museums looks like.

bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=B2&Dato=20060208&Kategori=NEWS01&Lopenr=208008&Ref=PH&Item=7&MaxH=400

[/img]

i found a video http://www.whas11.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=50293&catId=49

61 Stories

703 feet tall

$380 million total cost

85 luxury condos, starting at $400,000

150 lofts, costing $275,000 or less

300 hotel rooms

300,000 square feet of office space

1.2 million square feet total space

1,100 underground parking spots

10,500 people a day projected to use Museum Plaza

561 full-time employees needed for construction

Construction starts in 2007

Construction completed in 2010

cant complain

I think it will be built. there was a 22 story tower that was supposed to be built in that same spot about 8 years ago. But something went wrong, i doubt that will happend twice. Louisville will definatly not let a tower this size slip through their fingers.

here are some photos of the architects

bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=B2&Dato=20060208&Kategori=NEWS01&Lopenr=208009&Ref=PH&Item=1&MaxH=400

Lead architect Joshua Prince-Ramus discussed early models for Museum Plaza at his New York City office. (All photos courtesy of Office for Metropolitan Architecture)

bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=B2&Dato=20060208&Kategori=NEWS01&Lopenr=208009&Ref=PH&Item=2&MaxW=455

Attorney Craig Greenberg, left, and developer Steve Wilson, reviewed an early Museum Plaza model.

bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=B2&Dato=20060208&Kategori=NEWS01&Lopenr=208009&Ref=PH&Item=3&MaxW=455

Early foam models of Museum Plaza.

bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=B2&Dato=20060208&Kategori=NEWS01&Lopenr=208009&Ref=PH&Item=4&MaxW=455

A new public park would be built west of Museum Plaza, to Ninth Street.

bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=B2&Dato=20060208&Kategori=NEWS01&Lopenr=208009&Ref=PH&Item=5&MaxW=455

underground parking

bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=B2&Dato=20060208&Kategori=NEWS01&Lopenr=208009&Ref=PH&Item=6&MaxW=455

Studies showing the shadow of Museum Plaza.

bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=B2&Dato=20060208&Kategori=NEWS01&Lopenr=208009&Ref=PH&Item=8&MaxW=455

More studies showing the shadows of Museum Plaza at various times and months of the year

bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=B2&Dato=20060208&Kategori=NEWS01&Lopenr=208009&Ref=PH&Item=10&MaxW=455

http://cmsimg.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=B2&Dato=20060208&Kategori=NEWS01&Lopenr=208009&Ref=PH&Item=10&MaxW=455

bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=B2&Dato=20060208&Kategori=NEWS01&Lopenr=208009&Ref=PH&Item=13&MaxW=455

Museum Plaza, as seen driving eastbound on I-64 near the Ninth Street ramp. 

bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=B2&Dato=20060208&Kategori=NEWS01&Lopenr=208009&Ref=PH&Item=20&MaxW=455

View of Museum Plaza looking down Main Street, near the Humana Building.

i should say it looks really interesting from those other renderings, but its just one of those things that would fit in nyc or chicago as an interesting thing to see from the street-level, but not far away as a skyline thing.  i say build it!  congrats louisville

It's a pretty cool design, but it's just one of those buildings that I don't think will age gracefully.  I really don't like the bare shaft in the middle, and the difference in thickness of the various shafts at the bottom and then onto the top really bothers me... I don't really know why though... I don't think having a more universal thickness top to bottom would help... maybe some tapering or stagered setbacks.

Also, I know someone out there has a pic of one of those deteriorating communist russia cubist towers...  not directly comparable but it made me think about it.  But again it would be pretty cool to visit and hell maybe even live/work there... but I don't like looking at it from afar.

"Of course we would not be seeing all these negative comments if something this radical was going up in an Ohio city."

You'd hear it from me - I'd cringe if they announced something like this for Cleveland (or any other city in Ohio). It looks like Frankenstein, no matter where it is.

Height is not everything...sometimes it would be better/more functional for a city to get three or four 15-20 story towers rather than one 60-80 story tower.  This is especially true for Louisville; this new bldg. will stick out for sure without adding any real urban integrity to a city that could sorely use some.

I like the fact that nothing in Cincy is taller than Carew....instead of some idiot wanting to come in and build a 90 story bldg. they would have to build a number of blocks that would work together.  Thus creating a real urban identity for a segment of a city.

Furthermore, the bldg. is ugly and will detract from the rest of what Louisville calls a downtown.  Don't get me wrong I am all for progressive architecture, but this is not attractive and does not compliment the context in which it lies. :x

This will also kill potential development in Louisville for years to come.  It is far too large a development and will oversaturate the market.  No one will be willing to develop there with all of the demand being accounted for at this new 61 story monstrocity.

well Louisville just completed two 20 + story towers, one on jefferson street (i think thats where their new marriot is) and the other on waterfront park.

trans_multi5.gif

1_WATERF.jpg

This museum plaza will be the most unique by far. I beleive it will be the tallest tower completed by OMA

Of course we would not be seeing all these negative comments if something this radical was going up in an Ohio city.

You would defiently hear it from me, I hate this tower. I love the City of Louisville and am very happy to see it healty enought for such a developement.

I'm actually pretty offended that you said that.

lol, the Museum Plaza will be better for the skyline. And i doubt it will keep others from building 20-30 stories to fill in the gaps.

Louisville is also getting an Arena down on the waterfront that will also have a 20 story tower attatched to it.

Of course we would not be seeing all these negative comments if something this radical was going up in an Ohio city.

You would defiently hear it from me, I hate this tower. I love the City of Louisville and am happy to see it healty enought for such a developement.

You are not serious.... if you woke up in the morning and saw this in the enquirer to be built right on the river next to paul brown or the Carew you would tell Cincinnati to reject the tower? Give me a break lol please, any city would take a 61 story tower. the design isn't that bad either. stop exagerating. its great for the Ohio Valley. Not all skyscrapers need to look like everyother skyscraper.

You would defiently hear it from me, I hate this tower. I love the City of Louisville and am happy to see it healty enought for such a developement.

You are not serious.... if you woke up in the morning and saw this in the enquirer to be built right on the river next to paul brown or the Carew you would tell Cincinnati to reject the tower? Give me a break lol please, any city would take a 61 story tower. the design isn't that bad either. stop exagerating. its great for the Ohio Valley. Not all skyscrapers need to look like everyother skyscraper.

I'm not trying to discredit Louisville, I just hate the design. I wouldn't mind a 61 story tower, just not that one. I truely am happy that Fountain Square West in Cincy wasn't built, I didn't like that design either. I'm more traditonal, while you are more contemporary, that doesn't mean I am exagerating.

I think when its complete, and people see it up close and personal, with all the features it will have. it will be amazing. there is really nothing like it on the Ohio.

1,200 capacity underground parking garage?

22-story diagonal glass elevator ?

this is un-heard of.

I like this park concept, too, the way it turns the high tension line river crossing structure into this giant framework sculpture, which sort of plays off the expressed framework of the tower

bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=B2&Dato=20060208&Kategori=NEWS01&Lopenr=208009&Ref=PH&Item=4&MaxW=455

I also notice from the site plans that that diagonal elevator/escalator thing empties out right on a lot opening onto Main Street, which will tie this in with the other museums on Main.

The 20th floor museum/public space is going to be a lot of fun, and pretty dramatic at night, from the freeway....all lit up.

Cincinnati came close to having a cutting edge high rise design where that new lazarus is located, across from Fountain Square...I think the architect was going to be Helmut Jahn or someone similar....most of Cincys real good modernist buildings are low rises, though.....that Zaha Hadid design for the Contemporary Arts Center is one of the best recent museums in the US.

I'd like to see Zaha do a skyscraper, though, as I think she'd probably do something pretty impressive, based on some of her earlier unbuilt high rise concept desgins.  She is probably my favorite of these newer "Neo-Modernists"...I prefer her work over Gehry, Liebskind, etc...she and OMA are my favorites of this style.

This thing is going to be pretty hideous at ground level.  It will feature an empty, dead, sunless plaza and will overwhelm the surrounding neighborhood with its "island" several hundred feet above people's heads.  I can't imagine that it will be very pleasant to be anywhere near it at ground level.