Guest StrapHanger

Orange Village: Pinecrest

Pinecrest officially announced the new Urban Outfitters location on Facebook today.  As eyehrtfood stated above, it will be 8,500 SF, next to REI, and a new prototype model.

First eastside location for UO and the fifth in Ohio.

They have a tower crane for that?

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

8 minutes ago, BelievelandD1 said:

and yay for Pinecrest, they just got an Urban outfitters, in a very suburban location.  Funny how that works. Now all the east side yuppie kids can dress like they live in a city.

Can a kid be a yuppie?😕

11 minutes ago, osu87 said:

City Works closed October 30th

Not very surprising or disappointing. Didn’t seem to be very busy and the food and atmosphere was nothing special. There are so many restaurants in that area it must be hard to stay afloat if you’re not one of the national brands or otherwise good, unique food.

15 minutes ago, PoshSteve said:

I've heard from a pretty good source that Saucy will be taking over that space.

Did saucy just get some venture capital money or something? Or maybe its from selling their parking lot? Sure seems like they got a cash infusion lately.

• Like 1

Wow. I went to the soft opening of City Works and was talking to one of Bottleneck reps that was overseeing the build out. They dumped a bunch of money into it. 

^ I only went there once, about a month ago and had a very pleasant business lunch on the patio on a nice 70 degree plus day. 

By coincidence and contrast I’m at Pinecrest again right now (only two times I’ve been here) and I know it’s a random Thursday, it’s halloween, there’s a howling wind and it’s 40 degree with snow coming, but the entire place is dead. 

And they reckon that the last thing she saw in her life was
Sting, singing on the roof of the Barbican

Anyone know what the deal is with oak and embers at Pinecrest it seems like they had a sign up for hiring for the restaurant, it looks ready to go for 2 months now but it’s still has yet to open??

53 minutes ago, osu87 said:

Anyone know what the deal is with oak and embers at Pinecrest it seems like they had a sign up for hiring for the restaurant, it looks ready to go for 2 months now but it’s still has yet to open??

Supposed to open Nov 1st...... 2018. Then April 1 2019. This is still a mom and pop 3 unit mini-chain and guessing they don't have the drill down. They also don't understand social media or how to build a buzz. 

On 10/31/2019 at 7:15 PM, PoshSteve said:

I've heard from a pretty good source that Saucy will be taking over that space.

As noted above, Saucy got a "Pinecrest" business name registered with state months ago. At the same time it would seem, if going to this  space, that City Works knew its fate pretty early on after opening 

"Pinecrest named best new mixed-use development in North America"

https://www.crainscleveland.com/retail/pinecrest-named-best-new-mixed-use-development-north-america?utm_source=afternoon-report&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20191206&utm_content=article2-headline 

Interesting. Personally, I'm not a big Pinecrest fan. Everytime I've gone, it has felt rather cold and sterile, there are many similar retailers *cough cough* women's upscale boutiques (and in the evenings, most are closed up), and it's just not a place I can ever stay and enjoy for too long. I go, I visit wherever I'm going, I talk a walk down the street and back, and I'm ready to leave. It still feels more like a quick destination rather than a welcoming live/work/play environment.

Legacy Village excels at this, IMO. I could spend hours at Legacy whereas at Pinecrest, I don't feel that same sense of place, charm and vibrancy. I'm sure there are others who feel differently, and I do send my congratulations to Fairmount and Digeronimo for this honor, but it's just not a place I'd consider high up on my list. Regardless, it's great to see NE Ohio get this national award, even if it is a suburban rather than urban distinction.

Edited by urbanetics_
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, urbanetics_ said:

"Pinecrest named best new mixed-use development in North America"

https://www.crainscleveland.com/retail/pinecrest-named-best-new-mixed-use-development-north-america?utm_source=afternoon-report&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20191206&utm_content=article2-headline 

Interesting. Personally, I'm not a big Pinecrest fan. Everytime I've gone, it has felt rather cold and sterile, there are many similar retailers *cough cough* women's upscale boutiques (and in the evenings, most are closed up), and it's just not a place I can ever stay and enjoy for too long. I go, I visit wherever I'm going, I talk a walk down the street and back, and I'm ready to leave. It still feels more like a quick destination rather than a welcoming live/work/play environment.

Legacy Village excels at this, IMO. I could spend hours at Legacy whereas at Pinecrest, I don't feel that same sense of place, charm and vibrancy. I'm sure there are others who feel differently, and I do send my congratulations to Fairmount and Digeronimo for this honor, but it's just not a place I'd consider high up on my list. Regardless, it's great to see NE Ohio get this national award, even if it is a suburban rather than urban distinction.

I'm a definite retail development supporter on this board - but feel exactly as you do. Whether or not people believe it should have been built, it certainly had a location that seemed to be prime given the accessibility and visibility and demographics.. But it's a bit of a dud so far.

However it has been poorly executed, including leasing of spaces on the main Street to limited hour service businesses like hair salon/spa/nails and a brokerage (!) and small locally/regionally owned boutiques which should be on the periphery (and probably can't afford those spaces). This would seem to point to the fact they they didn't have major retailers knocking down their doors OR he simply don't know how to lease. 

At the same time Pinecrest has brought many new to market retailers including some announced or open and some to come. It may be another year or two until we see what can really be.

• Like 2

Just had dinner at Pinstripes and saw that Cleveland’s first (Ohio’s second) Fabletics store is coming soon. It will be located between Brighton and Untuckit. This will complete that entire block of retail under the AC Hotel. 

On 12/13/2019 at 5:16 PM, SgtBarone said:

According to this article, Saucy Pinecrest will 2,000 square feet. Guessing that means it won’t be heading into the former City Works space:

https://m.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2019/12/10/saucy-brew-works-to-open-pub-at-pinecrest

I wonder if it will then go in that corner spot across from West Elm, wasn’t that where the financially troubled Kona Grill was supposed to go?? Or could they break down the city works space into two??

6 hours ago, osu87 said:

Do we know why no Chuy’s??? It seemed like they were supposed to go there before BJ’s brewhouse

I’ve never been and it sounds awesome, so I hope it comes to Cle somewhere. But maybe this site didn’t make sense because it would be sandwiched between Abuelo’s and Condado? Throw in the Chipotle there, too, and you have an awful lot of Tex mex in a low density area. 

I actually really like Pinecrest and prefer it over Legacy but I can see the differences in the two.  Pinecrest is larger and newer.  The trees aren't yet established, the architecture is more modern.  Legacy is more quaint, more narrow sidewalks, has more tree canopy close by from the TRW property, the storefronts are smaller and it feels more legit as a recreated small town.  Pinecrest has a more corporate feel with the design - more glass, metal, even the lighting details.

I still think Pinecrest has a longer term recipe for success with the housing mix, the grocery store, the corporate office use and hotel on site.  There's a lot of developments that strive for all those components and very few pull it off.   And the location is really good.  Right off busy freeway, with visibility.  LV doesn't have that, even though its' still easy to get to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gottaplan said:

I actually really like Pinecrest and prefer it over Legacy but I can see the differences in the two.  Pinecrest is larger and newer.  The trees aren't yet established, the architecture is more modern.  Legacy is more quaint, more narrow sidewalks, has more tree canopy close by from the TRW property, the storefronts are smaller and it feels more legit as a recreated small town.  Pinecrest has a more corporate feel with the design - more glass, metal, even the lighting details.

I still think Pinecrest has a longer term recipe for success with the housing mix, the grocery store, the corporate office use and hotel on site.  There's a lot of developments that strive for all those components and very few pull it off.   And the location is really good.  Right off busy freeway, with visibility.  LV doesn't have that, even though its' still easy to get to.

I still don’t understand why they put that Whole Foods all the way back, with the massive parking lot in front. Would’ve made for a great entry, and continuous run of store frontage. It’s totally counter to what you’d think they were trying to establish with that development.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marty15 said:

I still don’t understand why they put that Whole Foods all the way back, with the massive parking lot in front. Would’ve made for a great entry, and continuous run of store frontage. It’s totally counter to what you’d think they were trying to establish with that development.

It’s also half the size of the old Whole Foods—at least in terms of products sold. I went there once and literally could not find a single item on my shopping list. 

Interesting that Abuelo’s closed. Thanks for the update, @audidave!

2 hours ago, marty15 said:

My guess is that the placement, especially all the surface parking upfront was a Whole Foods demand.

Pinecrest in Orange named best new mixed-use development in North America

On Dec. 5, Pinecrest received the gold designation -- the top honor for mixed-use developments -- in the New Developments category at the International Council of Shopping Centers Global Awards for North American Design and Development.

https://www.cleveland.com/community/2019/12/pinecrest-in-orange-named-best-new-mixed-use-development-in-north-america.html

jennifer lawrence lol GIF

Edited by GISguy
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Clevecane said:

It’s also half the size of the old Whole Foods—at least in terms of products sold. I went there once and literally could not find a single item on my shopping list. 

Interesting that Abuelo’s closed. Thanks for the update, @audidave!

The Whole Foods Pinecrest store is about 12,000+ sqaure feet larger than the old Woodmere store, interestingly...25% larger 

1 hour ago, Terdolph said:

How in the world can a restaurant possibly be called, "BJ's"?!

BJ's Brewhouse is a decent chain. We have them in S. Florida. The bar area usually features sports on large flat screens and they also serve their house blond, red, ipa, lager.

Edited by Frmr CLEder
Autocorrect error
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Frmr CLEder said:

BJ's Brewhouse is a decent chain. We have them in S. Florida. The bar area usually features sports on large flat screens and they also serve their house blond, red, iPad, lager.

This will be at least the 5th BJ's in NEO so only this location is new not the chain to the area. S shame no Chuy's .. 

Edited by eyehrtfood
  • Thanks 1