Sign in to follow this  
Guest jhonopolis

Media Mess-Ups

Another Fox News "mistake".  And that Twitter only 'retraction'.  If Fox News issued real retractions like a real news organization, it might look the SNL parody of 'Fox & Friends' - when they announce "and here are the corrections from the first hour of the program" and hundreds of corrections quickly scroll over the screen.

^An extremely vague retraction at that.  Considering that only around 20% of Fox viewers are under 55 years old (and I'd guess that number even decreases for Fox and Friends), how many do you think actually follow twitter?

I can't find it, but somebody (maybe Leno?) did a great spoof where the Fox broadcast was interrupted this week for breaking news of an accident which had occured in outer space.  Astronauts were last seen floating hopelessly into the abyss.

Sorry, but nothing compares to this....

"Your community is your commodity, my commodity & everyone's commodity." -- borrowing on silly slogans in Cleveland's Ohio City

It's always best be careful where your super secret source is when spilling government secrets......

Not the quiet car! Ex-NSA chief spills secrets while riding Amtrak?

Olivier Knox, Yahoo News By Olivier Knox, Yahoo News

21 hours ago

Oh, the things you hear on Amtrak's Acela service! Screaming kids, complaints about Wi-Fi and — oh yeah — a former director of the National Security Agency and the CIA seemingly spilling secrets to reporters.

We learn this from the Twitter feed of Tom Matzzie, former Washington director of MoveOn.org Political Action, who sat near retired Gen. Michael Hayden. Matzzie's tweets suggest that Hayden took calls from reporters digging into the ongoing NSA spy scandal and asking about President Barack Obama's BlackBerry and CIA secret prisons overseas.

Hayden apparently insisted on being quoted anonymously.

"FAIL," as they say.

READ MORE AT:

http://news.yahoo.com/former-nsa-chief-caught-spilling-secrets-on-amtrak-212959722.html

"Your community is your commodity, my commodity & everyone's commodity." -- borrowing on silly slogans in Cleveland's Ohio City

It's interesting that no one got fired over that; it really says something about the integrity of the publication.

I’d expect libel lawsuits to start coming their way soon.  Maybe not firing those responsible for the story is part of their defense strategy (not admitting any guilt).

It's interesting that no one got fired over that; it really says something about the integrity of the publication.

I’d expect libel lawsuits to start coming their way soon.  Maybe not firing those responsible for the story is part of their defense strategy (not admitting any guilt).

The Phi Psis have made it pretty clear they intend to sue.

20 years ago today, in what I'd consider to be a huge media mess-up, Newsweek (and other establishment sources) buried the Monica Lewinsky story, ultimately resulting in it leaking via Drudge Report:

http://www.drudgereportarchives.com/data/2002/01/17/20020117_175502_ml.htm

Breaking the story catapulted Drudge's popularity, and it's still among the most visited news websites on the internet two decades later - generating more pageviews than the mainstream media sites of CNN, Fox, the New York Times, the Washington Post, et. al. It's only consistently beat out by MSN, a website that I can only assume is still inexplicably set as millions of peoples' Internet Explorer home page.

20 years ago today, in what I'd consider to be a huge media mess-up, Newsweek (and other establishment sources) buried the Monica Lewinsky story, ultimately resulting in it leaking via Drudge Report:

Breaking the story catapulted Drudge's popularity, and it's still among the most visited news websites on the internet two decades later - generating more pageviews than the mainstream media sites of CNN, Fox, the New York Times, the Washington Post, et. al. It's only consistently beat out by MSN, a website that I can only assume is still inexplicably set as millions of peoples' Internet Explorer home page.

Leaking?  :)

Was it really being buried or did the story not meet the requirements of those outlets (i.e. unable to confirm)?  Drudge and similar outlets are only judged when something turns out to be true and not by the MSM. 

Did MSM outlets sit on the Trump/Russia story before the election or did the story not yet meet their requirements?  There is a distinct difference.

Honestly, the biggest problem with the news, fake news, or whatever you want to call them now is Twitter. Reporters do not understand how to properly use Twitter in their jobs as journalists and whether they want to truly be journalist or would rather be pundits.

The biggest change over the last 10-15 years, especially since the advent of Twitter has been allowing the reporter's voice to come through in their reporting instead of just reporting the news. The reporters are taking and using a lot more of their own voice and opinion in their stories and providing more analysis commentary as opposed to just reporting. What used to be done solely by analysts in the newsroom is also being done by reporters in the field. Reporters are also introducing their own opinions in their twitter feeds when linking to stories.

There used to be a finer line to this where individual reporters could not take an editorial position and this was solely reserved for the editors. This is causing people to distrust the news more and also lead to more reporter mess ups

^ I don't think I agree with that.  A reporters job is to provide context, fact check and analyze. Merely reporting what is happening is transcription.  This is what most media outlets are doing.  This is one way that Trump plays the media.  They report whatever he says (which is almost always a lie or obfuscation.)  No one should report the words of known liars without fact checking.

^ The reporter used to not do this, there was typically an analyst whose job it was to provide the context. Now whether this is Twitter or cost cutting in the newsrooms that have caused this, I don't know but the analyst and reporter roles have blended and have caused quality to suffer.  This could be more cost cutting in media and news more than other things too.

I assume there's a "mess-up" somewhere here - it's Newsweek after all:

Manhattan DA raids Newsweek headquarters

https://nypost.com/2018/01/18/nypd-officers-raid-newsweek-headquarters

About two dozen investigators from the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office raided the offices of Newsweek and its parent company, IBT Media, on Thursday.

FYI: This story is abjectly false & misleading. The Constitution provides no avenue for this. At all. Line of succession is prevailing. Why did Newsweek push out this garbage? https://t.co/u6oLQkSIKD

It’s depressing how easily totalitarian and authoritarian regimes can play the Western press these days. Not one word about the brutal, abusive nature of the gulag state that produced these brainwashed proles. https://t.co/eeJU1ywBJ8

^ Mainstream media certainly has been enamored with North Korea the last few days (CNN had a piece glamorizing Kim's sister, too). It's bizarre - you have to wonder if they're being paid to write these fluff pieces, or if they just hate America that much.

If they're getting viewers/web hits, then they will keep doing this.  I think many westerners are very curious as to what might exist behind the curtain in North Korea another totalitarian regimes. But there is also a clear risk in crossing the line over into glamorization of these places. Then there's also the possibility that some in the media are trying to put a more human face on these nations so we are less willing to go to war with them.

As a media consumer, I want to hear how North Koreans talk and compare it to Trump supporters.  I have no interest in royal families, Korean or otherwise, but media coverage across the spectrum suggests plenty of people care about that stuff. 

Whoops"

CNN and MSNBC Helped Russia Sow Discord by Promoting Fake Anti-Trump Rally

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/rich-noyes/2018/02/19/flashback-cnn-and-msnbcs-enthusiastic-coverage-russian-sponsored-anti

One of the revelations in Friday’s indictment handed down by Special Counsel Robert Mueller was that alleged Russian attempts to sow disunity in 2016 included the organization of both pro- and anti-Trump rallies in New York City on the Saturday after Election Day.

A check of their November 12 coverage showed both CNN and MSNBC gave enthusiastic coverage to the Russian-organized anti-Trump rally that day, with live reports every hour. Correspondents celebrated the idea that it was “a love rally,” and repeated the marchers’ anti-Trump mantras, such as: “We reject the President-elect.”