Sign in to follow this  
Guest Quimbob

2016 Presidential Election Discussion

Soledad O’Brien eviscerates CNN: ‘You have normalized’ white supremacy with shoddy Trump reporting

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/09/soledad-obrien-eviscerates-cnn-you-have-normalized-white-supremacy-with-shoddy-trump-reporting/

"Most of us have been conditioned to regard military combat as exciting and glamorous -- an opportunity for men to prove their competence and courage. Since armies are legal, we feel that war is acceptable; in general, nobody feels that that war is criminal or that accepting it is a criminal attitude. In fact, we have been brainwashed. War is neither glamorous nor attractive. It is monstrous. Its very nature is one of tragedy and suffering" --Dalai Lama

Spirit dinner?  If you believe that, you must be trolling.  No one could possibly be that gullible.

The only way you could possibly write this post is if you didn't read any of the leaked email exchanges about this topic, which doesn't surprise me in the least. Go to Wikileaks and search for it.

Spirit dinner?  If you believe that, you must be trolling.  No one could possibly be that gullible.

The only way you could possibly write this post is if you didn't read any of the leaked email exchanges about this topic, which doesn't surprise me in the least. Go to Wikileaks and search for it.

Lol

How is it that Wikileaks has not been able to publish Trump's withheld tax documents? Has Wikileaks published anything that is hurtful to Trump? If not why not?

"Most of us have been conditioned to regard military combat as exciting and glamorous -- an opportunity for men to prove their competence and courage. Since armies are legal, we feel that war is acceptable; in general, nobody feels that that war is criminal or that accepting it is a criminal attitude. In fact, we have been brainwashed. War is neither glamorous nor attractive. It is monstrous. Its very nature is one of tragedy and suffering" --Dalai Lama

I mean, you wouldn't want to rig the election or anything...

Judge finds Trump campaign responsible for voter suppression in Ohio

http://theweek.com/speedreads/659769/judge-finds-trump-campaign-responsible-voter-suppression-ohio

This guy is going to bring jobs back to America? Give me a f*cking break.

How is it that Wikileaks has not been able to publish Trump's withheld tax documents? Has Wikileaks published anything that is hurtful to Trump? If not why not?

Because the Russians haven't given them anything on Trump to publish.

Wikileaks doesn't do the hacking itself.  It publishes documents which were hacked by others.  The real question nobody seems to be asking about Wikileaks is why the slow trickle?  If the documents are so important and relevant to the election, why not release them all at once and far in advance of the election?  The answers seem obvious to me at least.

Lol

That's exactly the type of response I expect from you now.

This guy is going to bring jobs back to America? Give me a f*cking break.

That hat is a knockoff, Trump's official campaign gear is all made in the USA.  Even Snopes and Politifact couldn't weasel their way out of confirming this one:

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2015/oct/07/tweets/tweets-say-donald-trumps-make-america-great-again-/

www.snopes.com/donald-trump-hat-china/

I wonder how everyone feels about Nate Silver now given that 538's forecast model gives Trump the best chance.  The RCP average, often touted here by Trump supporters, is trending upwards for Clinton with live betting odds at above 80%.  Meanwhile, 538, often panned here by Trump supporters, gives Trump a 1/3 chance.

The polling methodologies continue to evolve and get better, albeit they are much more reliable for presidential races than they are for mid-terms and certainly more reliable than they are for primaries.  But the best data is still the campaign's internal data.  They have more resources and manpower to get an actual head count ahead of election day without having to extrapolate the numbers from much smaller sample sizes.  At the conclusion of the 2012 race, the Obama campaign's internal numbers turned out to be more accurate than the major polling companies. 

Clinton will win the popular vote similar to Obama in 2012. It may be a bit closer. Clinton will win the Electoral college by a landslide. It will make a lot of Trump fans feel the system is rigged because the popular vote was much closer than the Electoral College result was. However, that is how the game is played.

Lol

That's exactly the type of response I expect from you now.

Please show me what I missed on the spirit cooking thing.  I see nothing controversial in the actual email.  What am I missing?

Clinton will win the popular vote similar to Obama in 2012. It may be a bit closer. Clinton will win the Electoral college by a landslide. It will make a lot of Trump fans feel the system is rigged because the popular vote was much closer than the Electoral College result was. However, that is how the game is played.

I don't think EC will be a landslide as once predicted.  Trump likely to carry Ohio and Iowa, and he has decent chances in New Hampshire, North Carolina, Nevada, Georgia, etc.  Clinton is looking at 300 electoral votes, and anything above that will be gravy for her.

Very Stable Genius

^ Recent polls have Trump up in all of those states. Florida is within the margin of error. It could very well be extremely close to a 269 tie. The most important votes could actually be in Nebraska - if it goes all red Trump could win with 270 votes exactly.

^ Recent polls have Trump up in all of those states. Florida is within the margin of error. It could very well be extremely close to a 269 tie. The most important votes could actually be in Nebraska - if it goes all red Trump could win with 270 votes exactly.

If McMullin pulls out Utah and no one gets 270 he has a very good chance.  Many Republicans can't stand Trump and Dems will see Evan as way better.  It would be a great civics lesson, and a reminder that we aren't a democracy and have some anti-demagogery stops in place.

Id be very surprised if Trump won Nevada. For all this talk of a silent vote which the pollsters are not accounting for, all the empirical evidence to date suggests that it is the Latino vote.

No, Trump isn't going to win tomorrow - http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/donald-trump-is-going-to-get-his-ass-kicked-on-tuesday-1788618628

I believe it all comes down to FL - if Trump somehow pulls that out then Clinton is at 270ish (in which  case, Nebraska or the Maine seats come into play potentially).  If Clinton holds FL, then she ends up around 301.

I'm just glad we're done with the ads and debates after tomorrow.

Very Stable Genius

Anyone want to take a guess at the EC?  My official guess is 308 for Clinton, but she could go as high as 352.

I'm still hoping for McMullin and maybe Johnson, and no one getting 270. 

I'm hoping for some type of controversy which will send the results into a court fight for the next 4 years so that we can pick two new candidates.  But hopes aside, what is your logical guess?

Id be very surprised if Trump won Nevada. For all this talk of a silent vote which the pollsters are not accounting for, all the empirical evidence to date suggests that it is the Latino vote.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/nv/nevada_trump_vs_clinton-5891.html

Trump is up in Nevada in the latest polls. So far as polls go in general though, what I've been saying all along is that every state that matters will be within the margin of error by election day and that is now the case. In fact, the two that likely matter the most are within a single percentage point. The pollsters have no idea who is going to actually show up to vote:

Arizona: Trump + 4.0

Colorado: Clinton + 2.9

Florida: Clinton + 0.2

Iowa: Trump +3

Michigan: Clinton +4.7

Nevada: Trump +1.5

New Hampshire: Clinton +0.6

North Carolina: Trump +1.4

Ohio: Trump +3.5

Pennsylvania: Clinton +2.4

Virginia: Clinton + 5

The "likely voter" model used for Nevada has not taken into account the massive influx of, as the GOP state chairman put it this past weekend, "a certain group" of voters.  Most voters in Nevada vote early and Clinton seems to have built a nearly insurmountable lead there.  There are also reports leaking that the internal numbers for both sides show Nevada going to Clinton.  Also worth considering is that Jill Stein is NOT on the ballot in Nevada.  As I said, I'd be very surprised.  But we will find out on Wednesday who is right.  Are you going to take a guess?  Put it down now.  Don't come back on Wednesday and say things went as expected.

Keep in mind that in 2012, when the conservatives were screaming about the polls being wrong, they were right in a sense.  The polls showed Obama with about a 1% lead heading into the election and he won by +3%.  The polls now show Hillary with a 3-4% lead.  RCP now has her above that target 47%.  I wouldn't be surprised if she actually won by 6-7%.

It looks like Clinton's internal polling isn't looking so good:

Clinton calls off Election Night fireworks

http://nypost.com/2016/11/07/clinton-calls-off-election-night-fireworks/

Hillary Clinton’s planned celebratory Election Night fireworks display over the Hudson River that The Post exclusively reported on has been canceled, it was revealed Monday.

I mean, you wouldn't want to rig the election or anything...

Judge finds Trump campaign responsible for voter suppression in Ohio

http://theweek.com/speedreads/659769/judge-finds-trump-campaign-responsible-voter-suppression-ohio

If the Russians are responsible for all of the Wikileaks info, I would guess that the strategy wasn't to help elect Trump; but rather to ensure a more damaged Clinton is elected.

And they will all err in the donalds direction. Right. Nevada is a goner. I think they said almost half the registered voters have voted already and they were primarily hispanic. 

So yes, polls do have to take some assumptions into account of who will actually show up at the polls. I feel that a lot of states with sizeable latino population who have historically had fairly low voter participation will throw these polls off as they will undercount that segment of the population. Add in the fact that millennials are still difficult to reach via polling and i have a feeling there will be a landslide for hillary.

It might not be as big as i would hope if NC doesn't go her way due to the voter suppression going on there.

Hillary Clinton’s planned celebratory Election Night fireworks display over the Hudson River that The Post exclusively reported on has been canceled, it was revealed Monday.

Haha.  Now you are just flailing.  You may have heard of a terrorist attack threat for NYC on election night?  If you were the NYPD, would you want large explosions in the sky that night? That would be my guess as to why they were cancelled.

The one thing I never understood about the fireworks is that they were set to go off at 9:30pm.  The election should never be called one way or another until 10:30EST, when the west coast polling stations close.

EDIT:  I certainly hope you are taking that confidence and laying $$$ down on The Donald.  You can get nearly 6-1 odds at any reputable betting site.

You may have heard of a terrorist attack threat for NYC on election night?  If you were the NYPD, would you want large explosions in the sky that night? That would be my guess as to why they were cancelled.

Yeah, that's a much better guess (it isn't). As the police stated, Clinton's campaign has the permit for the fireworks, but cancelled them. It's on them, not the NYPD.

The one thing I never understood about the fireworks is that they were set to go off at 9:30pm.  The election should never be called one way or another until 10:30EST, when the west coast polling stations close.

...unless you're campaign is cocky enough to assume by the time 9:30 rolled around they'd have 270 electoral votes (on their way to the 300+ you all seem to think she has in the bag) they need to call it.

Haha.  Now you are just flailing.  You may have heard of a terrorist attack threat for NYC on election night?  If you were the NYPD, would you want large explosions in the sky that night? That would be my guess as to why they were cancelled.

EDIT:  I certainly hope you are taking that confidence and laying $$$ down on The Donald.  You can get nearly 6-1 odds at any reputable betting site.

More like 4-1 at this point.  If I wasn't kid-broke at the moment I'd be tempted,.  I hate the SOB but at this point who knows?

And they will all err in the donalds direction. Right. Nevada is a goner. I think they said almost half the registered voters have voted already and they were primarily hispanic. 

So yes, polls do have to take some assumptions into account of who will actually show up at the polls. I feel that a lot of states with sizeable latino population who have historically had fairly low voter participation will throw these polls off as they will undercount that segment of the population. Add in the fact that millennials are still difficult to reach via polling and i have a feeling there will be a landslide for hillary.

It might not be as big as i would hope if NC doesn't go her way due to the voter suppression going on there.

not to shatter everyone's stereotype that Latino votes automatically are ones for Hillary, the reality is more complex than the narrative promoted by most of the media make it appear (the equivalent of saying "they all look alike").

Hispanic voters may be more divided this election

New polls show Hispanic ballot casters are not voting for the same candidate definitively

Updated: 10:36 PM MST Nov 6, 2016

http://www.koat.com/article/hispanic-vote/8253075

"Hispanic voters can make or break a presidential candidate’s chances to win New Mexico. Data shows Hispanics usually vote for the same candidate but KOAT political analyst Brian Sanderoff says they’re more divided this election.

“When Hispanics vote as a block, typically the Democrats win. When they split their support among many candidates, Republicans have opportunities,” Sanderoff said. Barack Obama got 70 percent of the Hispanic vote when he won in 2008. Democrat Hillary Clinton likely won’t reach that number this Tuesday. The most recent Albuquerque Journal poll has Clinton receiving 54 percent of Hispanic votes, while Republican Donald Trump has 27 percent, and Libertarian Gary Johnson now only has 14 percent."