Sign in to follow this  
Guest surfohio

Hurricane Sandy aftermath

Can't find the Hurricane Sandy thread, so moderators please move to the proper place if it still exists.

My emotions are kinda all over the place on this issue. This is my home town and emotionally I want things to go back to normal, pre Sandy. But really if you decide to buy a house in a risky place, is it the role of everyone else to subsidize that decision? Protecting barrier islands from the Atlantic Ocean with Fed/State/Local government is not financially sustainable. In some wicked irony, people are angry and harassing homeowner Ted Jedzeniak and calling him "unpatriotic" for his wariness to allow the Army Corps of Engineers an easement across his property. Jedzeniak was a tail gunner in World War II.

OCEAN BEACH, N.J. — On a patch of land a block from the beach in this private community of modest cottages, Kurt and Linda Framhein want to protect their hard-earned slice of the American Dream.

As they look to rebuild the bungalow wiped away by Superstorm Sandy, they want to make sure the federal government builds dunes and wider beaches to protect them from future storms.

To do that, the government needs permission from oceanfront property owners such as Ted and Dorothy Jedziniak. Twenty-three miles south in the enclave of Ship Bottom, the Jedziniaks are fighting to protect their hard-fought slice of the American Dream, too. They won't sign away to the government land they've owned for more than four decades. They are suspicious that local leaders will use their land to build boardwalks, parking or public restrooms to attract more beachgoers.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/08/29/new-jersey-dune-coastal-battle/2705319/

^ as someone who is from NJ and now living in CA, I have to agree. CA has it's own erosion issues (seawalls in front of cliffs in particular). But so much of what NJ has done in its beautiful coastal areas is backward and stands as a model of dysfunction.