Cincinnati: Downtown: Fourth & Race (Pogue Garage) Redevelopment

Cygnus

We lost this thread during the recent website outage, although other than funding being secured, not much else has been in the news.

Pogue’s Garage to Make Way for 30-Story Residential Tower, Grocery Store

By Randy A. Simes ― February 20, 2013

Cincinnati City Manager Milton Dohoney briefed City Council’s Budget & Finance Committee of the specifics of a plan to modernize and lease some of the city’s parking assets. Part of the immediate $92 million infusion, as part of the plan, would be used to spark the redevelopment of Tower Place Mall and Pogue’s Garage.

Dohoney stated that the vacant Tower Place Mall would be converted into a 500-space parking garage, with 20,000 square feet of street-level commercial spaces fronting onto Race and Fourth Streets.

“Residential is a huge factor in the ability to attract and retain retail, but what retail really wants is customers,” explained David Ginsburg, President/CEO of Downtown Cincinnati Incorporated (DCI), with regards to the state of the center city’s retail scene.

Cont

towerplacerender-900.jpg

"It's just fate, as usual, keeping its bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton

• 4 weeks later...

Rabbit Hash--many thanks for the rendering of the proposed 4th & Race residential tower as it might appear from a distance.  Obviously, the structure's no "Donald Trump" wannabe, but it's gonna be an impressive addition to Cincinnati's skyline and its CBD.  (I can't wait!)

Yep.  That's the only one I've done above.  I like those others and I think they contradict my assertion in my blog post that the effect will be minimal on the skyline. 

Would you (or jmicha) or whomever the artist is give permission for me to add those to the blog post?  With attribution of course. 

We have some wonderful talent here on U/O.

Think about the sea-change of construction this (and DH) represents.  For the better part of thirty years, all/most new construction has been on the Eastern end of the CBD.

Between Race and Walnut = The old core.

East of Walnut = The new core.

West of Race = We'll see...

Heck, build a 30 story res tower where the spinning clock is and a 30 story biz tower on the horrible Plum and Fourth lot and this city starts to get some pretty broad shoulders.

Think about the sea-change of construction this (and DH) represents.  For the better part of thirty years, all/most new construction has been on the Eastern end of the CBD.

Heck, build a 30 story res tower where the spinning clock is and a 30 story biz tower on the horrible Plum and Fourth lot and this city starts to get some pretty broad shoulders.

True, but 312 Elm, 312 Plum, 311 Elm renovation, 302 W Third Neyer renovation, Delta call center on W. 7th,

Greenwich, Grammercy, Groton, etc/ well within that span.

True, but 312 Elm, 312 Plum, 311 Elm renovation, 302 W Third Neyer renovation, Delta call center on W. 7th,

Greenwich, Grammercy, Groton, etc/ well within that span.

Didn't forget about those.  But I would contend none are as high on the physical or prestige scale that most all of East of Walnut projects were/are.  Except for maybe 312 Elm.

For anyone interested, I also made some Google Earth renderings including other proposed and under construction projects like The Banks and the W&S Tower (used 450' for its height). The 4th and Race tower is 375' in these renderings and the Dunnhumby Centre pokes through using its actual height as released.

9567958072_bb0a8f1e3e_b.jpg

9567958136_705161ac22_b.jpg

I think it will be interesting to see what the top of this building will look like- it seems there is a two story PH/Mech space to one side of the the roof... could have a cool light feature, at the very least will provide a little asymmetry to the structure.

I like the added height this project brings to the west...

And on a side note: I really hope/wish the BSB alignment on the Cincy side would allow for the city grid to be reclaimed more to the west.  I would love to see some more height around City Hall or even all the way out toward Union Terminal... but I digress.

I like the BSB visualization the most, and really wish we could see another angle of the building.  But I just decided to superimposed the released "dusk" render into the GoogleEarth shot... not too bad... I did take the height down a bit; from the dusk render it looks a little bit shorter, than 375ft. 

• 2 months later...

The last the city reported the 12 million designated for this came from a failed convention center hotel plan. So the parking deal shouldn't have any affect on this project. The radio was probably making an educated guess based on outdated information.

The project was put on hold when the parking lease was challenged, but money was found (like jmicha says) to move it forward prior to the court ruling for the lease to go ahead. Parking lease cancellation should not affect this project, but will affect others.

http://www.citybeat.com/cincinnati/blog-5254-parking_plan_called_off.html

In that City Beat article it confirms that this project is still a go as TIF money was used not parking lease money. I would still like to hear an update on this project as it has been sometime since anything has been said as far as taking down the garage.

Anyone have an idea on a timeline?

We should protest Cranley. He's going to bring Cincinnati back to 2001

It would be nice if more people would have protested him by showing up on November 5th and voting for Qualls.

This.

http://www.citybeat.com/cincinnati/blog-5254-parking_plan_called_off.html

In that City Beat article it confirms that this project is still a go as TIF money was used not parking lease money. I would still like to hear an update on this project as it has been sometime since anything has been said as far as taking down the garage.

So this major development, which at one point hinged on a parking plan that was hastily pushed through, no longer requires this project?

There is one tenant who has a lease still in the building.  The hair salon.  Once the City finds them a new location and moves them there, they can begin planning for demo. 

Also, because of parking requirements with the Hyatt and Saks, the parking conversion for Tower Place Mall is supposed to happen first.  That is supposed to start construction before the end of the year.

^ You're putting it past King Cranley to stop this? If he personally doesn't want it, it's gone.

Scary, but I agree. And since he hasn't commented on it publicly (to my knowledge), we have no idea of this project's fate either.  I'm sure he would claim to have better ways to spend city money than by subsidizing a new tower and a grocery store.

^ You're putting it past King Cranley to stop this? If he personally doesn't want it, it's gone.

Scary, but I agree. And since he hasn't commented on it publicly (to my knowledge), we have no idea of this project's fate either.  I'm sure he would claim to have better ways to spend city money than by subsidizing a new tower and a grocery store.

A statue of himself?  A bike path through Queensgate?

A statue of himself?  A bike path through Queensgate?

I think you nailed it!  Kill the funding for progress and erect a statue for King Cranley.  I will say it screaming from tower to unbuilt future towers and all other progress, "Cranley is an A$$ and needs to be stopped".  He is so full of himself that he would make a physiatrist have a wet dream.   

^I can't answer definitively, but I'd imagine they do. They're supposed to be getting the money from the city in a few months and I can't imagine that they would still be working with a verbal commitment at this point in time. And in their recent statements about the Saks site it seems like the developers are gearing up for demolition in February or March.

• 1 month later...

I don't see this being cancelled.  Besides, you can see the looks on the council member's faces...they already don't like Cranley so look for him to be out sooner rather than later.  Taking away a tower and grocery store for out downtown is beyond madness and has nothing to do with money.

I believe alot of the money for this project is private funding. I think Cranley might lay-off all the "Im canceling" governing for about 6 months. He just got punched in the mouth on a national scale. Cranley would commit political suicide if he attempted to cancel this project

• 3 weeks later...

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artikkel?NoCache=1&Dato=20140108&Kategori=NEWS010801&Lopenr=301070158&Ref=AR

Article is primarily a recap of the events of the transformation of Tower Place.. but at the end of the article it mentions Pogues Garage demo won't start until June 1st now.  Disappointing that it is taking that long to get some momentum going on that site.